BMW i5 and 5-Series Forum

12-28-2023, 08:23 AM   #89
BimmerGuyFL78
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW G30 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by carseatsm5 View Post
They cut comfort access on a $100K car? Huh?
I never said they totally eliminated comfort access. I said the removed comfort access on the rear doors.
      12-28-2023, 09:34 AM   #90
carseatsm5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerGuyFL78 View Post
I never said they totally eliminated comfort access. I said the removed comfort access on the rear doors.
I was just surprised they removed any part of it. But sounds like can be turned on in iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2023, 09:36 AM   #91
BimmerGuyFL78
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW G30 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by carseatsm5 View Post
I was just surprised they removed any part of it. But sounds like can be turned on in iDrive.
Only thing iDrive does is unlock the rear doors when you use the front doors to access. You can no longer grab the rear door handle to unlock the car.
Namelss771.50
      12-28-2023, 09:59 AM   #92
carseatsm5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerGuyFL78 View Post
Only thing iDrive does is unlock the rear doors when you use the front doors to access. You can no longer grab the rear door handle to unlock the car.
Seems like a lot of compromise for a car this expensive. Range is the big one but these “ nickle and dime” moves in the interior are just odd.

Of course there’s also the sad reality that $100K doesn’t buy what it used to.

Kudos to BMW for managing to keep the 5-series soul alive in the driving dynamics and overall look of the car even if people argue over specific exterior elements.
Appreciate 2
Scrapula2880.00
2srsman71.00
      12-28-2023, 12:20 PM   #93
cpt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '24 BMW i5 M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neusser View Post
Accelleration that you can use for about 50kms, otherwise your overall range shrinks to practically nothing.

EVs are a massive fraud that were prematurely brought to market in order to deny the middle and lower classes a right to private transportation post-2030.

The technocrats are doing their best to destroy the auto industry, particularly here in Germany.
I think the middle/lower classes will be get their EVs from the cheaper Chinese brands sooner or later. The only thing is that, if the German automakers don't get serious about EVs now, they might lose all relevance in 10 years if not sooner. VW is already hinting at that in their own words.
Appreciate 2
Scrapula2880.00
alewifebp486.50
      12-28-2023, 01:48 PM   #94
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychDoc View Post
Oh, and I remembered another two things the G60 has as standard equipment that were unavailable in the G30 - - lighted door handles and puddle lamps.
The G30 does have lighted door handles and puddle lights on all four doors.The puddle lights can also be changed to project the BMW logo or M logo on the ground.Or are you referring to the carpet lighting in the last pic of the G20 that the G30 doesn’t have?
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
SkykingUSA1440.50
2srsman71.00
COBodom613.00
      12-28-2023, 03:23 PM   #95
Neusser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 G31 540i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt View Post
I think the middle/lower classes will be get their EVs from the cheaper Chinese brands sooner or later. The only thing is that, if the German automakers don't get serious about EVs now, they might lose all relevance in 10 years if not sooner. VW is already hinting at that in their own words.
I wish I could agree. Normal market forces are not driving any of this.

The transnationalists don't want us plebes in private cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2023, 07:14 PM   #96
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt View Post
Not convinced. I don't understand why everybody sees these Chinese cars as being a threat. The Chinese cars that can match my i4 edrive 40 cost at least as much. In the past Chinese was a threat because labour didn't cost anything. That game has changed: 1/ robot assembly decimated the impact, 2/ Chinese growth has the wages doubled in 10yrs.

What I do see is that BMW is still trying to get a serious peace of the Asian cake while I believe they should urgently start refocussing on the EU/US market again!
Appreciate 1
Scrapula2880.00
      12-29-2023, 04:28 AM   #97
TomekGnomek
Rep
Drives: G20

I tried i5 e40 and had a long test drive on a polish highway during winter with ~0 degC outside.

I was hoping to buy it but I think this car fails key factors of the E class segment:

- the range was very, very dissapointing (driving 140-150 km/h on a very mild winter day I had over 31 kw/100km which means the range would be 200-300 km); this is not a city car, a lot of people buy it for longer work trips and the range for this scenario is a joke

- the car is very long yet there is no adequate room in the back for passengers; like not much more than in 3/4 series and the seating position is simply not comfortable (your knees go way up and have no support); sorry but this is not supposed to be a coupe with back sets for only short trips

- the quality of materials is simply not adequate for a car in this segment, sorry; you can debate this all the way and it's subjective but you cannot deny a well equipped 3/4 series (not to mention M3/M4) is way, way nicer inside when you option it out with leather and galvanised touch points

I get why this car gets many negative reviews.

THE ONLY POSITIVE SURPRISE was driving assist which worked a lot better compared to previous gen.
Appreciate 2
      12-29-2023, 11:12 AM   #98
Scrapula
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW i5 M60

I never owned a 3/4 series because of the low quality leather. It is not considered to be luxury at all. How tall are you? My son and husband are both 6’2” and found the rear seats of the 5 very comfortable and their knees did not hit the seat in front of them. Range could be better, but I believe the MB is worse in winter. You should stick to a petrol car.
Appreciate 1
Pinga54.00
      12-29-2023, 02:13 PM   #99
lethbridge
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CP YMB

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CP  [10.00]
I totally get the negativity which is factually correct in my view. I too have owned many BMWs from new over the past 30 years both 3 & 5 series & usually at the upper end of the spec you can apply. I am so glad my last one was an F80 M3 and I have run this now for much longer than I planned because I really dislike the current design language. I am going to wait on the M5 as on paper it should be ideal but I’m not at all hopeful that it will be the one for me based on the design and quality I am seeing in the car it is based on. Is there another brand getting it right for me, not MB, not remotely, Audi getter better but still way off. I’m not interested in tech gadgetry - I want a high quality car that looks, drives and handles better than what I have got (in my own view) - otherwise why waste my money. That leaves me contemplating a 911 but I’m not yet ready for the loss of practicality and possible hit on reliability. If the M5 isn’t right for me I will just keep with my current until I have to change due to the miles I will have done.
      12-29-2023, 02:59 PM   #100
Nahlem
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: None atm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neusser View Post
Accelleration that you can use for about 50kms, otherwise your overall range shrinks to practically nothing.

EVs are a massive fraud that were prematurely brought to market in order to deny the middle and lower classes a right to private transportation post-2030.

The technocrats are doing their best to destroy the auto industry, particularly here in Germany.
Uhm based on what? A bit much of a conspiracy theorist here are we now. "The Elite are trying to make you stop driving cars" dude knock that off.

And this "EVs are a massive fraud" based on what? Your own opinion? What part of EVs are a fraud? Please do tell you seem to be so enlighten otherwise be careful with your choice of words to not make your self look stupid witch you probably arnt.

What part of EVs are fraud?

The price? The Range? The Performance? Please do tell by the same logic every early car was a fraud why would someone switch to an automobil from a horse? They performed worse, costed more in the beginning and so on and so forth.

So knock that nonsense talk off.

The biggest reasons we haven't seen any development of alternative fuels in so many years was the oil lobby doing their best to suppress other technologies this has been common knowledge for many years. And now that they can't any more they work through spreading false information about EV and other alternatives that will in no doubt cause them to loose market shares and I'm sure they are willing to give that up freely without a fight.

Thats why it is finally good to see more governments around the world being forced by the people who chose them to press OPEC countries harder there is no future in fossil fuels. They have been a great stepping stone for humanity to get to where we are today but their time is nigh.

Former Car:BMW i4 M50 Brooklyn Grey (MY22)| BMW i3s BEV (MY19)|Former Car: BMW X1 20d x-drive (MY16)|BMW m235i (MY14)|Former Car: BMW 120d (MY12)|Former Car: Volvo C30 T5 R-Design (MY08)|Former Car: Volvo C70 T5 (MY06)|Former Car: Volvo S40 2.0T(MY1999)

Last edited by Nahlem; 12-29-2023 at 03:27 PM..
Appreciate 4
Scrapula2880.00
LVBMW1541.50
Pinga54.00
      12-29-2023, 03:40 PM   #101
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Even for a Camry is ugly. BMW never had so many ugly cars in a row. And I can see the cost cutting and cheap aproach in almost all new cars.

Last edited by Teutonic; 12-29-2023 at 03:45 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-29-2023, 03:44 PM   #102
picaso
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 911

This review made me see the reviewer in a less than admirable light. His issues were not only subjective but all optional. You can spec the car without most of them. His constant references to the Chinese market influence on subjective options made me unsubscribe.

I’m not Chinese or even own a bmw, and I respect his opinions, but disliked his views. Such a shame.
Appreciate 3
      12-29-2023, 05:29 PM   #103
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahlem View Post
Uhm based on what? A bit much of a conspiracy theorist here are we now. "The Elite are trying to make you stop driving cars" dude knock that off.

And this "EVs are a massive fraud" based on what? Your own opinion? What part of EVs are a fraud? Please do tell you seem to be so enlighten otherwise be careful with your choice of words to not make your self look stupid witch you probably arnt.

What part of EVs are fraud?

The price? The Range? The Performance? Please do tell by the same logic every early car was a fraud why would someone switch to an automobil from a horse? They performed worse, costed more in the beginning and so on and so forth.

So knock that nonsense talk off.

The biggest reasons we haven't seen any development of alternative fuels in so many years was the oil lobby doing their best to suppress other technologies this has been common knowledge for many years. And now that they can't any more they work through spreading false information about EV and other alternatives that will in no doubt cause them to loose market shares and I'm sure they are willing to give that up freely without a fight.

Thats why it is finally good to see more governments around the world being forced by the people who chose them to press OPEC countries harder there is no future in fossil fuels. They have been a great stepping stone for humanity to get to where we are today but their time is nigh.
Take a trip in Chile and visit the lihium extraction sites. Please find out what they do to the environment, communities and people that live in such areas. Find the source of many elements and how “ethical” they are extracted. Then come back and tell me your EV nonsense which is btw not better than a NA car. In fact, a clean diesel will knock the socks off of any vehicle in terms of range / energy-source ratio. That will also offer you freedom of movement and independence of not being dependent on a grid, not to mention the option of being in a remote area without electricity or anything related to it, but still be able to move months or years later if choose to.
But your governement -which will never be mine- is just playing another trick on you. And I don’t know anyone that is pushing the government to do so. Actually, all the people I know are concerned that the governments are pushing its own agenda which is different than what majority wants. Your EV is shoveled on your throat by the same government that forced you with the “choice” of an EV or else you will pay a hefty tax for e NA vehicle that in fact damages the environment less than your EV. Yeah, do your homework. Just let people choose their vehicle, untouched by governmental decisions, taxes, or incentives and you shall find the unbiased truth. But your governemnt tells you what is good for you because you are probably incapable of seeing things as well… Right?
Not to mention, latest results show that EV are not even that reliable.
And,
Nobody gives a shit about environment. Naive much? Corporations are corporations and they have one goal in mind. And there is geopolitics which is another factor that very few have the curiosity to read about and look into…

Nevermind… Carry on.
Appreciate 1
Neusser499.50
      12-29-2023, 08:37 PM   #104
PsychDoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 540ix

Interesting review of the G60, W214 and A6 in a German auto magazine. Your browser can easily translate.

Short story, G60 wins this comparo.

https://www.autobild.de/artikel/audi...**********.com
Appreciate 1
      12-29-2023, 08:53 PM   #105
Scrapula
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW i5 M60

Still doing the lithium mine slavery thing? That’s so old. Lithium is extracted from salt water (brine) as well as mines. The largest supplier is Australia and they have workers with wages, just like you pay workers on an oil rig. At least do some research before spewing garbage.
Appreciate 2
LVBMW1541.50
Pinga54.00
      12-30-2023, 03:39 AM   #106
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapula View Post
Still doing the lithium mine slavery thing? That’s so old. Lithium is extracted from salt water (brine) as well as mines. The largest supplier is Australia and they have workers with wages, just like you pay workers on an oil rig. At least do some research before spewing garbage.
brainwashed much?
Of course they have wages. Even the children in Africa that crowl under earth surface for some metals are getting paid some cents per week. Who works for free?

But look into the scars they do to the earth surface, the area they use that will never be recovered (please watch “Global Warning” documentary to see how oil sites are reforested and reintegrated after extraction, especially in oil sand where oil is retained and sand is put beck clean- https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11742234/)

And how is brine extraction done exactly? Just read some fast google things and posted here in ignorance, or we are practicing convenient selective style?

https://greenly.earth/en-us/blog/eco...hium-batteries

See how those lithium extraction sites people live, read how acid rains work and their impact on lives on a huge radius around extraction sites, how these land will never recover, whats the health status around these areas.

Not sure who is spilling garbage or should I say ignorance…

https://www.mining-technology.com/an...thium%20mining.

https://www.euronews.com/green/2022/...lectric-future

Yeah, not sure who is spewing -toxic- garbage in here…
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2023, 06:45 AM   #107
Pinga
Austria
Rep
Drives: BMW i5 eDrive40

Garage List
I did not know that this forum is now a collection basin for conspiracy theorists and ppl who are parroting the nonsense of petrolheads!?

I thought we are talking about the car!?
Appreciate 4
      12-30-2023, 07:14 AM   #108
Nahlem
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: None atm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutonic View Post
Take a trip in Chile and visit the lihium extraction sites. Please find out what they do to the environment, communities and people that live in such areas. Find the source of many elements and how “ethical” they are extracted. Then come back and tell me your EV nonsense which is btw not better than a NA car. In fact, a clean diesel will knock the socks off of any vehicle in terms of range / energy-source ratio. That will also offer you freedom of movement and independence of not being dependent on a grid, not to mention the option of being in a remote area without electricity or anything related to it, but still be able to move months or years later if choose to.
But your governement -which will never be mine- is just playing another trick on you. And I don’t know anyone that is pushing the government to do so. Actually, all the people I know are concerned that the governments are pushing its own agenda which is different than what majority wants. Your EV is shoveled on your throat by the same government that forced you with the “choice” of an EV or else you will pay a hefty tax for e NA vehicle that in fact damages the environment less than your EV. Yeah, do your homework. Just let people choose their vehicle, untouched by governmental decisions, taxes, or incentives and you shall find the unbiased truth. But your governemnt tells you what is good for you because you are probably incapable of seeing things as well… Right?
Not to mention, latest results show that EV are not even that reliable.
And,
Nobody gives a shit about environment. Naive much? Corporations are corporations and they have one goal in mind. And there is geopolitics which is another factor that very few have the curiosity to read about and look into…

Nevermind… Carry on.

If you have an issue with lithium mines and rare ores in general by the same logic you should imidietly stop having any smartphones maybe you do maybe you don't, you should also make sure your house doesn't contain any electronics och household appliances that has some type of circuit board, that needs rare earth materials. And also make sure the paint on your current car doesn't contain any such minerals. Also make sure that the petrol/diesel you are using is not refined with the help of cobalt. That is if you care about such stuff with you probably don't by the post you made.

Agree on that fact that even EVs needs a lot work to make them even more greener, but they are far better then petrol/diesel both when it comes to local usage and not needing any special new materials after being created unlike petrol/diesel witch needs continuos extraction and refinement during its lifetime. That penality should be added for every user of diesel/petrol during its lifetime witch isn't at this point. If we can scale up biodiesel like HVO100 without needing to use such stuff as palm oils and farmlands for it then great then we should imidietly do that. Because if we are to move away from fossil fuels then alternatives need to be made and scaled up just like e-fules if they can be produced without destroying the environment then great that should also be in the mix of sustainables that we can use, if we can make the ICE engine as effective as EVs even greater then we don't need to send them to the scrapyard because that would be devastating for the environment and an enormous destruction of capital that we have made.

My government isn't forcing me to choose an EV heck they would love if i kept using diesel/petrol, gianormous tax income for them if you want to be that cynical ofcourse a lot of people working in the government is doing out of self interests just as the oil lobby is funding their candidates to be elected witch will benefit them. The oil lobby throughout history being the biggest culprit of this behaviour.

In the optimal world we would have governments free of money lobbyist but that isn't the case today unfortunately, the biggest reason to cut out fossil fuel driven cars is the fact that they are so freaking inefficient.

As i have stated before if auto-makers makes a car engine that is 85% efficient, that would be fantastic but that hasn't happed yet, why? They have had time on their side and still haven't managed to make that happen. So the time is up and its time to pass the ice engines to the history of mankind just like with so many other invention throughout time that has helped us get where we are today.

But not pass them to history as a shameful thing because they have made us come to this place where we are today, and can't take us ant further so its time for other technologies to fill that space and take over.

Great point if "nobody" gives a shit about the environment then we can stop everything now and poison our self and our local environment beyond the redemption of recovery, but fortunately regular people do care so you do not speak for every "regular" person out there, so we choose people we believe can and will bring change and when/if they show them self to be incompetent or corrupt we remove them from office and choose new ones, that is democracy. Its not a perfect system but its the best we got today.

Former Car:BMW i4 M50 Brooklyn Grey (MY22)| BMW i3s BEV (MY19)|Former Car: BMW X1 20d x-drive (MY16)|BMW m235i (MY14)|Former Car: BMW 120d (MY12)|Former Car: Volvo C30 T5 R-Design (MY08)|Former Car: Volvo C70 T5 (MY06)|Former Car: Volvo S40 2.0T(MY1999)
Appreciate 3
PsychDoc1832.00
Scrapula2880.00
      12-30-2023, 07:22 AM   #109
PsychDoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 540ix

Though I'm certainly not a mod around here, mightn't it be a better idea to reserve conversations about politics, environmental concerns and sundry conspiracy theories to forums that discuss such topics?

Just a suggestion...

Last edited by PsychDoc; 12-30-2023 at 07:31 AM..
Appreciate 5
      12-30-2023, 08:33 AM   #110
Turfer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 540

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychDoc View Post
Though I'm certainly not a mod around here, mightn't it be a better idea to reserve conversations about politics, environmental concerns and sundry conspiracy theories to forums that discuss such topics?

Just a suggestion...
Couldn't agree more. I came here to read about cars. Nobody has ever changed the mind of someone by arguing or "informing" them on the internet.

Can we please get back to the important topics like how the new 5 no longer has felt in the door storage.
Appreciate 5
PsychDoc1832.00
G35c6MT160.00
Scrapula2880.00
Pinga54.00