BMW i5 and 5-Series Forum

12-17-2023, 10:17 AM   #1
PsychDoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 540ix

Any thoughts on extended warranties?

I generally pass on such things as I know the odds aren't in my favor but these cars are so complex with so many electronic gadgets I'm thinking this is something I should consider this time around - especially as I tend to keep my cars 6-7 years.

A related question. Is the price of these things something that can be negotiated and can you shop different BMW dealerships for these and get different prices? I assume that because it's a BMW extended warranty it would be honored at any dealership. Is that true?

Any advice about this entire issue?

Thanks.
Appreciate 1
SkykingUSA1397.00
      12-17-2023, 10:59 AM   #2
RichardInCA
Captain
Rep
Drives: 24 BMW i5 M60

I’ve both bought them and skipped them in the past. If you run the pure financial analysis it’s probably never worth it in dollar terms - it’s really about peace of mind in the event that you get a big bill for a mechanical or other issue. If you can afford the (10-20% or less?) chance that you get stuck with a (for instance) 5K bill in the next 6-7yrs for something, then skip it. Dealers always play up on complexity of systems in modern cars and how expensive it is to repair them, while noting how amazing and excellent the new tech is in the same breath.

I think it really comes down to how confident or not you are that you’ll get a surprise repair bill and what insuring against that possibility is worth to you?
Appreciate 2
trivalent201.00
SkykingUSA1397.00
      12-17-2023, 03:04 PM   #3
BMW012
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M550i CBM/Ivory

Garage List
you can always purchase after your initial warranty runs out
Appreciate 1
SkykingUSA1397.00
      12-17-2023, 04:47 PM   #4
SpaceSilver.X1
world's slowest BMW driver
Rep
Drives: U11, G60, W211, AZ20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW012 View Post
you can always purchase after your initial warranty runs out
buying it 3 years and half years from now will mean paying a higher price.

if the OP is keeping the car for 7 years, buying now is probably a better financial decision. even at full price for a 7-year/100k-mile plan, it will still be cheaper than the cost of a replacement engine or electric motor in years 5 to 7. peace of mind is what they are selling. most things will be covered with little or no deductible. or one can just set aside about $10,000 cash or credit line in case of unexpected repairs once out of the 4-year original warranty.

by the way, most local BMW dealers will NOT offer any meaningful discounts on BMW extended warranties. Look on Bimmerpost... there are at least 3 or 4 BMW dealers that sell these plans at a steep discount online or over the phone.

off the top of my head, here are 3 of them. They are all on this Bimmerpost, I just don't know how to link to their Bimmerpost profiles, so here are their names and emails.(all are BMW dealers, first two in Maryland, third one in California) Easiest thing to do is send them the VIN# and MSRP. Let them know if you want 5, 6 or 7 years and the number of miles of total coverage.(ask for no deductible plans) All three give substantial discounts. They are all the finance mangers(?) at these BMW dealerships, so I imagine that they do get commissions.(you don't expect them to work for free, right?)

Daniel Kim at dkim@saffordauto.com,
Jeff Steel at jeff.steel@passportauto.com
Christine at christinen@bmwofcamarillo.com

Appreciate 5
PsychDoc1817.00
trivalent201.00
SkykingUSA1397.00
StanDiego6268.00
      12-17-2023, 07:46 PM   #5
PsychDoc
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceSilver.X1 View Post

if the OP is keeping the car for 7 years, buying now is probably a better financial decision. even at full price for a 7-year/100k-mile plan, it will still be cheaper than the cost of a replacement engine or electric motor in years 5 to 7. peace of mind is what they are selling. most things will be covered with little or no deductible. or one can just set aside about $10,000 cash or credit line in case of unexpected repairs once out of the 4-year original warranty.

by the way, most local BMW dealers will NOT offer any meaningful discounts on BMW extended warranties. Look on Bimmerpost... there are at least 3 or 4 BMW dealers that sell these plans at a steep discount online or over the phone.

off the top of my head, here are 3 of them. They are all on this Bimmerpost, I just don't know how to link to their Bimmerpost profiles, so here are their names and emails.(all are BMW dealers, first two in Maryland, third one in California) Easiest thing to do is send them the VIN# and MSRP. Let them know if you want 5, 6 or 7 years and the number of miles of total coverage.(ask for no deductible plans) All three give substantial discounts. They are all the finance mangers(?) at these BMW dealerships, so I imagine that they do get commissions.(you don't expect them to work for free, right?)

That's so helpful. Thank you very much.
Appreciate 1
SkykingUSA1397.00
      12-17-2023, 08:48 PM   #6
SpaceSilver.X1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychDoc View Post
That's so helpful. Thank you very much.
forgot to mention that I do have 7-year 100k-mile BMW warranty(Platinum plan, zero deductible) on my X1.

I actually hope that I never have to use it. On the other hand, if anything major does go wrong, I'm covered until 2030.(other than things that wear out or caused by me) Just the infotainment screen alone is almost $3000.

The peace of mind that I get whenever I open my BMW app is worth it, at least for me. When my 530i arrives, I will also get a similar coverage for it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
SkykingUSA1397.00
      12-18-2023, 05:52 AM   #7
BMW012
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

so an extended warranty will be more expensive than a 7 year warranty right off the bat?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2023, 06:09 AM   #8
PsychDoc
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
so an extended warranty will be more expensive than a 7 year warranty right off the bat?
Not sure what you're saying here. Could you please elaborate?
Appreciate 1
SkykingUSA1397.00
      12-18-2023, 06:10 AM   #9
BMW012
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychDoc View Post
Not sure what you're saying here. Could you please elaborate?
question was for SpaceSilver.X1
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2023, 06:22 AM   #10
SpaceSilver.X1
Rep

Quote:
the BWM factory extended warranty that I have is the Platinum plan with $0 deductible, for 7 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. in my case, I will most likely not reach 100,000 miles in 7 years, so it will be good until the year 2030.

they do offer 5, 6 or 7-year plans with different miles. check with the three different BMW dealer contacts that I mentioned above.
Appreciate 1
SkykingUSA1397.00
      12-22-2023, 11:37 AM   #11
NavyBlue
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M8

Quote:
I've emailed all 3 contacts above.
Only received email back from Christine with quote. i emailed her back with follow up question, & still haven't received answer back.
Appreciate 1
SkykingUSA1397.00