Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M340i

G80 vs F80 track simplicity

Asked this in another thread, but want to get better visibility

Also would love to know:

DSC settings
Stock or modded set up

Currently in an F80 that can get around COTA ~2:35ish (bone stock, no mods)

Have a G80 at 112 status and super curious whether there'll be an improvement

My background:
Current advanced/checkout instructor for Chin and AI for BMW CCA including ITS instruction

Super curious about your level of experience and thoughts of the G80 given I'm about to trade the F80 which has been a hell of a lot of fun for a car I've never driven,

Thanks in advance!

Data I'm trying to get, is it even worthwhile to drop the F80 for a G80 when it comes to track days?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2022, 09:42 PM   #2
Electron mike
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, GT4

I had my 2015 F80 for 7 years and took it to COTA a few times over the years. I recently picked up a 2022 G80 M3 but don't plan on tracking it as I have a GT4 I use for the track.

That said, the G80 is significantly faster in a straight line and the handling limits and composure are both much better as well. I turned a 2:32 at COTA in my stock F80, I would expect the G80 to be several seconds faster while offering better refinement and more luxury at the same time. A very fun car in my opinion.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2022, 12:31 AM   #3
ATX_G80
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTrkJunkie View Post
Asked this in another thread, but want to get better visibility

Also would love to know:

DSC settings
Stock or modded set up

Currently in an F80 that can get around COTA ~2:35ish (bone stock, no mods)

Have a G80 at 112 status and super curious whether there'll be an improvement

My background:
Current advanced/checkout instructor for Chin and AI for BMW CCA including ITS instruction

Super curious about your level of experience and thoughts of the G80 given I'm about to trade the F80 which has been a hell of a lot of fun for a car I've never driven,

Thanks in advance!

Data I'm trying to get, is it even worthwhile to drop the F80 for a G80 when it comes to track days?
I have had my G80 RWD for over a year now and have done 3 Edge Addicts weekends. I run the intermediate class.

First off this car is my daily but I have a ton of mods that allow me to quickly swap for track weekends and have a solid track car.

First outing was fantastic. Car was basically stock with an alignment around -2 up front and stock Pirellis. Getting use the car in the first couple sessions you could really feel the potential. Straight line speed is great 155ish on the back straight braking at the around the 200 markers. That event I wasn't focus on time but more understanding the car and track lines etc. Ran a best 2:45. -I had the itch

Second outing was even better. This time I had some more mods. SPL front lower control arms -3 up front - AST springs - Speed Engineering Brake cooling kit. Still on stock Pirellis. Much better speed through 2 and into the s's and around the carousel. Braking later on the back straight around the 150 and this car will stop on stock rotors and pads. Ran a best 2:39.

Third was by far the best and could have been better. I was on R888Rs and went with the KW HAS kit to give the tires more clearance as the AST sat too low. 2 big take aways. Tires made a worlds difference. Combination of that and more confidence on my end I was able to take most of higher speed corners about 10ish mph faster. I ran a best of 2:36. The big neg was the Kw HAS kit. Spring rate is so soft the car just felt soooo heavy. I have some photos going around 10 and the car is leaning so much more than when I was on the AST springs.

I am now on KW V3 coilovers and some Pagid yellows so my next outing should be even better.

I am by no means an advanced driver so low 2:30 if not sub I think is definitely possible even stock.

I've left DSC on. Don't see the need for me yet to change that.

All in all the car is a blast and is super fun on COTA.

Xdrive would make all of it even better.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 08:10 AM   #4
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition X

The G80 will be way faster. It won't even be close.

Here's my experience at Pacific Raceways:

Stock G82 Competition RWD - 1.36.4

Modded F87 M2C - 1.35.7 (camber plates, Coilovers, Stage 2 tune, 275/295 wide tires, LCA mono balls)

Stock G82 Competition XDrive - 1.34.6
T0RM3NT3764.00
      09-20-2022, 12:22 PM   #5
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
I posted my track experience in this thread:

Tracking my F80 M3 CS vs my G82 M4 Comp X

I'm faster overall in my G8X on street tires than my F80 M3 CS on 200tw.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 2
T0RM3NT3764.00
sly1types431.50
      09-23-2022, 08:29 AM   #6
ATX_M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Current, G80 Comp - IOMG, Form

I've been tracking a F80 for six years (best lap 2:30.6 with pads, fluid, and camber plates as "mods") and am taking the G80 out to COTA this weekend for the first time…

Will report back but I believe this car will be much quicker than F8x - likely not on my first weekend but the car feels a whole lot more capable.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 07:33 PM   #7
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition xDrive

On a track like COTA, G80 will be quite a bit quicker. Interested to see thoughts from ATX_M3 Been a while since I drove COTA. Raced there back in 2013 with BMW Club Racing.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 09:32 AM   #8
ATX_M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Took the G80 out to COTA for the first time this weekend - in short, the car is super capable. My lap times were about 1.5 seconds slower than my best F80 CS time but that's not a fair comparison - I set the 2:30.x in the F80 in February on a cool morning session and set a 2:32.3 in the G80 on a 98 degree 3 PM session. Here are the initial thoughts:
- Side by side video of the G80 vs. F80
- G80 lap without side-by-side
- We all knew the G80 would be high on consumables. I wasn't expecting to 80% wear through a set of front Carbotech XP10 pads over two days. It's a big car with a lot of power...no doubt about it.
- The braking capability is incredible - zero fade. This was my first session out in the G80 so I know there is SIGNIFICANT time to be gained in the braking zones with some more seat time.
- ZF8 felt much better at the beginning of sessions than at the end - again, it was super hot out but the upshifts did slow down in the heat. I will say the smoother shifting of the ZF8 made the car more stable in the exit of turn 1 and going through turn 2 - seamless power delivery and the car didn't get "upset" like the F80 did while accelerating down the hill going into turn 2
- F80 vs. G80? I don't know that one is better than the other - they were both great. No doubt they are very different - given the fact that I DD my cars 359 days a year and take them on track for 6 days (give or take), I prefer the G80 hands down.
- I didn't have any weird issues with the safety systems on track - when I put it in track mode, the car didn't intervene once even under threshold braking, driving in traffic, etc.
- Downsides: I kept getting "High braking load - adjust driving style...to avoid overheating the brakes" messages in iDrive that would eventually clear after some cool-down driving. It didn't impact anything but it would be cool if they car didn't bitch about driving on track....

I'm sure there are more thoughts - I'll add more as they come to mind.
Appreciate 2
T0RM3NT3764.00
      09-28-2022, 05:27 PM   #9
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX_M3 View Post
Took the G80 out to COTA for the first time this weekend - in short, the car is super capable. My lap times were about 1.5 seconds slower than my best F80 CS time but that's not a fair comparison - I set the 2:30.x in the F80 in February on a cool morning session and set a 2:32.3 in the G80 on a 98 degree 3 PM session. Here are the initial thoughts:
- We all knew the G80 would be high on consumables. I wasn't expecting to 80% wear through a set of front Carbotech XP10 pads over two days. It's a big car with a lot of power...no doubt about it.
- The braking capability is incredible - zero fade. This was my first session out in the G80 so I know there is SIGNIFICANT time to be gained in the braking zones with some more seat time.
- ZF8 felt much better at the beginning of sessions than at the end - again, it was super hot out but the upshifts did slow down in the heat. I will say the smoother shifting of the ZF8 made the car more stable in the exit of turn 1 and going through turn 2 - seamless power delivery and the car didn't get "upset" like the F80 did while accelerating down the hill going into turn 2
- F80 vs. G80? I don't know that one is better than the other - they were both great. No doubt they are very different - given the fact that I DD my cars 359 days a year and take them on track for 6 days (give or take), I prefer the G80 hands down.
- I didn't have any weird issues with the safety systems on track - when I put it in track mode, the car didn't intervene once even under threshold braking, driving in traffic, etc.
- Downsides: I kept getting "High braking load - adjust driving style...to avoid overheating the brakes" messages in iDrive that would eventually clear after some cool-down driving. It didn't impact anything but it would be cool if they car didn't bitch about driving on track....

Awesome data - and thanks to everyone else who responded! Would you be game to meet - I'm north RR/1431? Want to walk through all of this.

And sorry everyone for the delayed reply, 2 teenagers + work + life gives me little time for forums

Alternately, instructing at COTA the week after F1, and have a garage, feel free to come out so we can chat!

https://chintrackdays.com/roster.asp...BsvqV%2f1Ak%3d
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2022, 05:41 PM   #10
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron mike View Post
I had my 2015 F80 for 7 years and took it to COTA a few times over the years. I recently picked up a 2022 G80 M3 but don't plan on tracking it as I have a GT4 I use for the track.

That said, the G80 is significantly faster in a straight line and the handling limits and composure are both much better as well. I turned a 2:32 at COTA in my stock F80, I would expect the G80 to be several seconds faster while offering better refinement and more luxury at the same time. A very fun car in my opinion.
Several seconds? That seems a big ask, 2:32 in a stock set up F80 is way more than a solid time.

I could maybe see 2:30 flat in a G80 given the stock -2.0 camber vs. -1 in an F80 (my NT-01's hate COTA)

2+ seconds is a ton, but again, no expert...just a check-rider. And driver skill is the real thing

And yes, my comp license is expired so ymmy
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2022, 07:04 PM   #11
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:

Did you remove the brake duct shields in the fender liner?

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2022, 07:07 PM   #12
ATX_M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Quote:

Did you remove the brake duct shields in the fender liner?
Yup - sure did
Appreciate 1
jmg18867.50