United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
OOPS
BYD Showroom Burns to the Ground After One Electric Car Bursts Into Flames
16 May 2024
However, one car brand recorded more EV fires than others, at least judging by the number of fire reports over the past years. I'm talking about BYD, Tesla's main rival, partner, and one of the biggest Li-ion battery manufacturers. Many such fires happened in 2021 and 2022, and the carmaker appeared to have solved its quality problems in the past years. However, another fire erupted on Thursday in a BYD showroom in Fuzhou, the capital of the Chinese province Fujian.
According to the Fuzhou Fire Department, the fire started from an electric vehicle parked inside the showroom. A video shared on Chinese social media showed a massive fire engulfing the showroom.

https://x.com/ray4tesla/status/17909...es-234010.html

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/b...es-234010.html

Coming to a town or city near you thanks to NAFTA.
Appreciate 1
eugenebmw1585.00
      Yesterday, 04:34 PM   #8362
JimmyTheHand
Private
Rep
Drives: iX3 on order, Porsche Macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
That's the worst case scenario when a druggie, drunk or just a complete idiot hits you from behind that even an excellent driver has no control over.
I went onto BBC news not long after last post and came across the video of crash that left a truck hanging from the Clark Memorial Bridge It took me several watches through to understand what happened
Appreciate 2
M5Rick61569.50
eugenebmw1585.00
      Yesterday, 04:40 PM   #8363
JimmyTheHand
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post
OOPS
BYD Showroom Burns to the Ground After One Electric Car Bursts Into Flames
16 May 2024
However, one car brand recorded more EV fires than others, at least judging by the number of fire reports over the past years. I'm talking about BYD, Tesla's main rival, partner, and one of the biggest Li-ion battery manufacturers. Many such fires happened in 2021 and 2022, and the carmaker appeared to have solved its quality problems in the past years. However, another fire erupted on Thursday in a BYD showroom in Fuzhou, the capital of the Chinese province Fujian.
According to the Fuzhou Fire Department, the fire started from an electric vehicle parked inside the showroom. A video shared on Chinese social media showed a massive fire engulfing the showroom.

https://x.com/ray4tesla/status/17909...es-234010.html

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/b...es-234010.html

Coming to a town or city near you thanks to NAFTA.
I think that is more to do with lax quality & safety than anything else
Appreciate 2
eugenebmw1585.00
      Yesterday, 04:46 PM   #8364
JimmyTheHand
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenebmw View Post
Please stop thinking EV are smart Woman who was stuck in her Tesla for 40 Minutes in 115 Degree heat shares surprising fact about car

http://www.unilad.com/technology/wom...45406-20240519
Now if all cars were like Tesla - I'd walk/bike/take train, but as far away from any roads as possible.
Appreciate 2
eugenebmw1585.00
      Yesterday, 05:02 PM   #8365
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTheHand View Post
Now if all cars were like Tesla - I'd walk/bike/take train, but as far away from any roads as possible.
One way to avoid being trapped in your Tesla in adverse weather is to do what 99.9% of Tesla owners do. It's update your car overnight. It's stunningly easy.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 09:40 PM   #8366
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
One way to avoid being trapped in your Tesla in adverse weather is to do what 99.9% of Tesla owners do. It's update your car overnight. It's stunningly easy.
Good thing storms and power outages only happen at night.
Appreciate 2
eugenebmw1585.00
      Yesterday, 09:47 PM   #8367
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Good thing storms and power outages only happen at night.
That makes no sense in regards to when you update your car’s software.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 04:20 AM   #8368
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
I went onto BBC news not long after last post and came across the video of crash that left a truck hanging from the Clark Memorial Bridge It took me several watches through to understand what happened
Same here, the pick up truck driver who swerved wasn't looking/concentrating on the bridge road and with a suspended licence shouldn't have even be driving. Bra**am is in big trouble and fortunate the trailer driver miraculously survived.
Appreciate 2
      Today, 04:28 AM   #8369
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenebmw View Post
Please stop thinking EV are smart Woman who was stuck in her Tesla for 40 Minutes in 115 Degree heat shares surprising fact about car

http://www.unilad.com/technology/wom...45406-20240519
That poor woman nearly became fried as the burger she ordered, she now advises EV owners not to update while sitting in the car or they too could be trapped like she was.
Appreciate 2
eugenebmw1585.00
      Today, 05:44 AM   #8370
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Quote:
I think that is more to do with lax quality & safety than anything else
Most likely. Is lax quality & poor safety something you want is a EV just to have it be cheap? Ask a climate change idiot that next time they glue themselves to the road.

If they can sell poison baby formula and toxic dry wall why not combustible EV's?
Appreciate 2
eugenebmw1585.00
M5Rick61569.50
      Today, 05:48 AM   #8371
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
That poor woman nearly became fried as the burger she ordered, she now advises EV owners not to update while sitting in the car or they too could be trapped like she was.
Some folks are destine to be EV owners. "She also wanted to clear up a couple of comments she'd received on her previous video, explaining that she would have opened the car manually if she felt like she was in a life-threatening situation."

Any one remember the "documentary" idiocracy from 2006?
Appreciate 2
eugenebmw1585.00
M5Rick61569.50
      Today, 08:55 AM   #8372
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
That makes no sense in regards to when you update your car’s software.
I meant during the day. But that's the point, you made it sound like issues could be avoided depending on when people charge their devices.

Heaven forbid it starts raining at work, or power goes out when you're not home. All that talk about charging at home during the evening goes out the window.

Can't we just be honest about the limitations?
M5Rick61569.50
      Today, 09:13 AM   #8373
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
I meant during the day. But that's the point, you made it sound like issues could be avoided depending on when people charge their devices.

Heaven forbid it starts raining at work, or power goes out when you're not home. All that talk about charging at home during the evening goes out the window.

The sad reality is that honesty about the limitations of EV's is in short supply.
Appreciate 2
eugenebmw1585.00
M5Rick61569.50
      Today, 09:32 AM   #8374
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

This is not a complex thing. I'm just suggesting that since updates are elective one should just choose a convenient and safe time to do so. For instance, if someone updated their Windows laptop software three minutes before doing a Zoom interview for a new job then I would suggest that was a bad decision. I would not think that there is something deeply wrong and flawed with Windows based on that.
Appreciate 1
      Today, 01:45 PM   #8375
JimmyTheHand
Private
Rep

Quote:
Personally I'd try avoiding updating a working system I need until I have time to deal with any update issues and if there are any it doesn't leave me stranded miles from home, for a car I'd leave it till I'm at home, but I'd probably want to update when I can check it's finished.

I did have an issue where the Garage updated the car's software (X3 F25) but something went wrong and left with loads of errors in German which they couldn't decipher - should have suggested the IT fix of turn it off and on (which they eventually did and it worked).

Work's laptop though, I'll update right before any meeting I'd rather not be at
Appreciate 1
gblansten2101.50
      Today, 01:50 PM   #8376
JimmyTheHand
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post
Most likely. Is lax quality & poor safety something you want is a EV just to have it be cheap? Ask a climate change idiot that next time they glue themselves to the road.

If they can sell poison baby formula and toxic dry wall why not combustible EV's?
No, but I'd also not want it on a normal car - it caused me no end of trouble in one where the garage weren't competent - having a car totally cut out, electric and engine, at 70mph in the dark is quite scary even if it recovered a few seconds later, even worse since they couldn't get to the bottom of the issue which turned out to be a loose battery lead as found by breakdown rescue.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 02:06 PM   #8377
Ugly Kar
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 to C43 Cab to G42

The hits just keep coming.
https://www.savvydime.com/electric-t...el-trucks-ext/
Appreciate 0
      Today, 04:04 PM   #8378
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Personally I'd try avoiding updating a working system I need until I have time to deal with any update issues and if there are any it doesn't leave me stranded miles from home, for a car I'd leave it till I'm at home, but I'd probably want to update when I can check it's finished.

I did have an issue where the Garage updated the car's software (X3 F25) but something went wrong and left with loads of errors in German which they couldn't decipher - should have suggested the IT fix of turn it off and on (which they eventually did and it worked).

Work's laptop though, I'll update right before any meeting I'd rather not be at
Last line made me laugh. Cheers.
Appreciate 0