BMW i5 and 5-Series Forum

Yesterday, 08:25 AM   #1
SteVTEC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 335i vert

Who else has never been into super fast cars?

When I bought my 2011 E93 335i new, its performance was so far beyond anything else I had owned before. I've never been dissatisfied with its performance, and have never really felt like I've needed more. Never even bothered with a JB4 or anything. Still have it today sitting in my garage ready for nice and sunny days, bone stock other than much better rubber.

Who else has been sitting on the sidelines and has never latched onto this modern horsepower craze, or has even gone back to a "normal" car?
      Yesterday, 09:02 AM   #2
BlkGS
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
I've found that my "good enough" is 3.5-4.5 seconds 0-60. Give or take. That's my "normal".

We have an expedition as well for the wife and family hauling. I wish it was a bit faster, but I can deal with it for family use
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 09:07 AM   #3
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Seems like a strange topic for a car forum, but I guess there are more BMW's than performance BMW's, so it's relevant.

I'm weird in the fact that I tend to find the right balance of power for the platform instead of just adding power to be adding it. Even so, adding power to my F87 M2 didn't make it any more fun, and honestly, it's less fun now because it has more perceived lag.

However, I can't imagine not modifying the car in other ways. At a minimum I'd have a set of wheels on the 335 (unless you car came with Style 230's).
Appreciate 1
fraschusa198.50
      Yesterday, 09:38 AM   #4
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

I don’t get the power thing either. My Tesla S Plaid is plenty fast for me.
Appreciate 2
SteVTEC294.00
RM72899.00
      Yesterday, 10:30 AM   #5
BlkGS
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
Seems like a strange topic for a car forum, but I guess there are more BMW's than performance BMW's, so it's relevant.

I'm weird in the fact that I tend to find the right balance of power for the platform instead of just adding power to be adding it. Even so, adding power to my F87 M2 didn't make it any more fun, and honestly, it's less fun now because it has more perceived lag.

However, I can't imagine not modifying the car in other ways. At a minimum I'd have a set of wheels on the 335 (unless you car came with Style 230's).
That's not weird to me. I've driven cars that were just all power and that was it. They're a laugh once or twice, but they're terrible after that. My C6 Corvette is about 440hp, which in a lightweight red manual transmission car without a ton of modern nannies can be a lot to handle. My TBSS is about 460hp, and it could easily handle more, 550-600hp.wpuld be great in it... Other than for the transmission.

My X5 at 520hp( Possibly at the wheel) is nice, but it could handle so much more. It'd be sweet with like 800hp. I really wanted a Durango Hellcat or trackhawk, and those can be made to 840-850hp easily and they just work. But alas those were much more money than the BMW.

I will eventually trade my x5 for a coyote f150 with a Whipple, that'll be ~800hp. That'll be good
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic14129.50
      Yesterday, 11:04 AM   #6
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi R8

I like power but I'll take a stiffer chassis or lighter car over it.
Appreciate 2
      Yesterday, 11:34 AM   #7
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

I have a 2011 335is with MHD stage 2+ (~ 380whp I believe) and I'd say it's the perfect amount but then again I'm sure if I taste more I will tell myself that to.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:50 AM   #8
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

For purely road driving I have never lusted after exotics because they really are a bit silly on the road. I appreciate the engineering and the better engines (natural V8's through V12's) but where am I using 650hp?

I think the perfect sportscar engine is the one I have, it's only 385HP but it loves being around the 4K to 6K rev mark which is very pleasing to the ear. The response is instantaneous, the power shoves you in the back but is not ridiculous. That's just my 2c.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:56 AM   #9
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkGS View Post
My X5 at 520hp( Possibly at the wheel) is nice, but it could handle so much more.
I just saw a blue on the new The Dry - Force of Nature film, and want one so badly. Unfortunately, I have no faith in the hot-v after 100K, and I like to keep my vehicles quite a while.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 12:01 PM   #10
ekinnee
Rep
Drives: 2021 M440xi Coupe, 2023 330i

I had a 2017 392 Challenger, traded out of it and am finally back to a quick car with the m440i. I didn't realize what I had been missing.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 12:48 PM   #11
SteVTEC
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I've found that my "good enough" is 3.5-4.5 seconds 0-60. Give or take. That's my "normal".

We have an expedition as well for the wife and family hauling. I wish it was a bit faster, but I can deal with it for family use
How often are you able to get anywhere near exploiting that power in FL? I think a big part of it is where I live. It's just no fun to drive here, loaded with traffic, cops, speed bumps, cameras, etc.

My sweet spot is in the mid-5 to mid-6 range for a daily driven car. More than quick enough to be entertaining and fun to drive, but not so fast that you have to baby it around all the time.

I feel like my E93 is at the too fast end of that, and a 600lb lighter E92 or E90 without the convertible weight would be total overkill. I think an E46 330i with a manual would have been just about perfect for me, but didn't have the money for one back then.

Last edited by SteVTEC; Yesterday at 12:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 12:55 PM   #12
SteVTEC
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post

I was on deck to trade my E93 for an F80 M3 back in 2017/18 timeframe. Long story, but was dragging my feet partly because I just had no idea what I would ever do with that kind of power in my area. Family needs changed rather drastically, and just never happened.

You're right, though. The biggest thing my E93 would need is staggered 18's and performance rubber, suspension upgrades to go with it, slightly beefier brakes, and power last. I had an F33 328i M-Sport loaner for a week a long time ago (I think customer didn't take delivery). Felt great and handed amazing, but the power just wasn't there. So that's the opposite end of things.
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic14129.50
      Yesterday, 01:03 PM   #13
SteVTEC
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekinnee View Post
I had a 2017 392 Challenger, traded out of it and am finally back to a quick car with the m440i. I didn't realize what I had been missing.
I had a rental Charger R/T with the 5.7 (shocked it wasn't the V6!) and drove a Challenger R/T rental borrowed from a colleague which was also the 5.7, and loved both of those stupid cars.

If I didn't live where I did, I could easily see myself in a Charger 392, but would absolutely 110% need some wide open roads and even better a track to enjoy it on, which I don't have in my area.

Might seem contradictory, but I would also take an M440i over a 430i just for the straight-6 factor and not wanting a 4-cylinder, even though it'd be complete overkill for my needs.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 01:13 PM   #14
BlkGS
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteVTEC View Post
How often are you able to get anywhere near exploiting that power in FL? I think a big part of it is where I live. It's just no fun to drive here, loaded with traffic, cops, speed bumps, cameras, etc.

My sweet spot is in the mid-5 to mid-6 range for a daily driven car. More than quick enough to be entertaining and fun to drive, but not so fast that you have to baby it around all the time.

I feel like my E93 is at the too fast end of that, and a 600lb lighter E92 or E90 without the convertible weight would be total overkill. I think an E46 330i with a manual would have been just about perfect for me, but didn't have the money for one back then.
If I wanted to it could be every day. We have on ramps. When you get on the highway, you punch it. I also don't have to baby it at all, the great part about a sport SUV, or anything with AWD really, you can let loose without worrying about the rear end as much. Coming out of a right hand turn, you can stomp it, no problem. You can't do that in the Corvette, well, at least not without festering it or spinning.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 02:08 PM   #15
mjj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2025 M4 Comp -on order

I have had everything from slow to super fast. I still prefer super fast but only with AWD. My days of having the rear end kick out violently going 70 mph down the interstate are over.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 03:16 PM   #16
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

I have a 458 and it's as fast as any car ever needs to be. Doing 0-60 in 2 seconds flat isn't super appealing, especially if it requires turbos or an EV. 9k NA glory is all the world needs. I actually thought my old 991.1 GTS was the perfect blend of power/sound/not absurdly fast for regular every day street use and that car is probably something like 3.8 0-60. Make cars great again!
Appreciate 1
jesm207.50
      Yesterday, 05:41 PM   #17
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Depends on how you define fast. Top speed I've never cared for. Fastest I've gone is maybe like 120 on the track.

0-60 on the other hand matters more for everyday driving, but I would say anything under 4 sec is good enough. However I recently rented a base RAV4 and OMG did I miss having torque! That thing was soooo slow it was dangerous. I'm use to in my cars and especially the Model 3 I can just floor it to get away from idiots... not in that RAV4. You could floor it and it would literally do nothing but make horrible noises.

Honestly I would love an American V8 that made all the same noises but didn't have 500hp. I just don't need that much. Had a C7 and my friend would always tell me I should get the Z06... why.... I barely get to use half the power in the C7 why the fuck do I want more.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 06:29 PM   #18
SirPatrone
Rep
Drives: 24 BMW X7 M60i

Ive gone from a 5.0 Mustang to a twin turbo 3.5 Raptor, to a Trackhawk, and now am currently driving my X7 M60. All of them are just a different form of fun. Mustang I got to row through the gears, loud exhaust. Raptor you just got to hit bumps and hills and everything at speeds that would break normal cars. The Trackhawk was so fun and loud, a blast to drive. Now my X7, the "family car" is also just great to drive, super comfortable and a rocket when you want it to be. only complaint on the X7 is the quiet exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 06:46 PM   #19
BlkGS
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Depends on how you define fast. Top speed I've never cared for. Fastest I've gone is maybe like 120 on the track.

0-60 on the other hand matters more for everyday driving, but I would say anything under 4 sec is good enough. However I recently rented a base RAV4 and OMG did I miss having torque! That thing was soooo slow it was dangerous. I'm use to in my cars and especially the Model 3 I can just floor it to get away from idiots... not in that RAV4. You could floor it and it would literally do nothing but make horrible noises.

Honestly I would love an American V8 that made all the same noises but didn't have 500hp. I just don't need that much. Had a C7 and my friend would always tell me I should get the Z06... why.... I barely get to use half the power in the C7 why the fuck do I want more.
You want a 5.7 hemi then, lol. Or anything with the coyote 5.0, though to be fair both of those are just under 400hp. But they sound the business.

The C7Z was one of the first cars where I was like "this isn't fun anymore". No drama, just absurd speed. It's neat to be like "whoa I can't believe I'm going this fast this quickly" once or twice, but that car was just such a dud to me, it had no soul, just speed.

I think I'd have a hard time saying no to a 458 after I became OK with an automatic in a toy car.

Also, I will freely admit I think I and many other enthusiasts are fatigued of super fast track only bs. Acceleration superlatives have become kind of... Mundane. Any dweeb with a 580 credit score can go get into a Tesla and do low 3s to 60 until it gets repo'd. It's a lot harder to find cars with character and soul, and as long as they're quick enough to be fun, that character is more important, hence the praise of the M2.

All of this said, the most far car I've ever owned was my R53 Mini Cooper S. It was tiny, 6 speed manual, supercharged, and made everything fun, despite not being fast. It FELT and sounded like it was fast though! I want another one something bad lol.

The most fun car I ever drove was a mustang boss 302. 4.10 gears, rowdy ass v8, 6 speed manual, and a track key that made it even more unruly. It just did burnouts everywhere. It was a riot but not a car you could really drive normally too

Last edited by BlkGS; Yesterday at 06:53 PM..
Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 08:38 PM   #20
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
You want a 5.7 hemi then, lol. Or anything with the coyote 5.0, though to be fair both of those are just under 400hp. But they sound the business.

The C7Z was one of the first cars where I was like "this isn't fun anymore". No drama, just absurd speed. It's neat to be like "whoa I can't believe I'm going this fast this quickly" once or twice, but that car was just such a dud to me, it had no soul, just speed.

I think I'd have a hard time saying no to a 458 after I became OK with an automatic in a toy car.

Also, I will freely admit I think I and many other enthusiasts are fatigued of super fast track only bs. Acceleration superlatives have become kind of... Mundane. Any dweeb with a 580 credit score can go get into a Tesla and do low 3s to 60 until it gets repo'd. It's a lot harder to find cars with character and soul, and as long as they're quick enough to be fun, that character is more important, hence the praise of the M2.

All of this said, the most far car I've ever owned was my R53 Mini Cooper S. It was tiny, 6 speed manual, supercharged, and made everything fun, despite not being fast. It FELT and sounded like it was fast though! I want another one something bad lol.

The most fun car I ever drove was a mustang boss 302. 4.10 gears, rowdy ass v8, 6 speed manual, and a track key that made it even more unruly. It just did burnouts everywhere. It was a riot but not a car you could really drive normally too
I had a mustang GT. I liked it, best sounding car I've ever owned, did not handle like the C7 or even the camaro I had before the C7, but at the same time it was a much better ride. Still too much power though. Even my miata has more power than I need, at least on the mountain roads in NC. The only time it feels underpowered is on the straights... would suck in FL.

Honestly the only car I can remember that was almost perfect was my Z4MR. It's been a loong time since I owned it so who knows, maybe I would not like it if I drove it now, but I still miss it. Only car I miss. The interior was probably the worst interior BMW has ever made and while the engine sound was pretty nice (if I recall correctly) there was no exhaust note at all.

A Z4MR with it's stock S54 engine with a modern quality interior... throw in a hardtop convertible like the miata RF and a mustang exhaust note...
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 08:42 PM   #21
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

I guess I’m somewhere in between. Back in my e46 days I never invested much in power mods bc there was better money to be spent on suspension, wheels, etc.

Once I got into the e9x chassis I became obsessed with the fun of turbo cars but I still value the other things too.

There’s definitely something to be said about the fun of driving a slow car fast but I don’t think I’d go back to a slower car unless it was just a different type (like a truck or something)
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 08:55 PM   #22
bvrider1
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 m3 + f80 zcp

1000 cc sport bikes took care of my need for speed. Could care less about having a super fast car.
Appreciate 0