BMW i5 and 5-Series Forum

02-20-2024, 10:45 AM   #45
Blue87
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 X5 M50i, 05 S2000

I would consider one...

I configured a 540i xDrive with all options and it seems nice, but maybe not at 80k USD. I could see a few more options being available on an ICE/hybrid version of the M560i, but the likely weight penalty would push many away. I would consider purchasing one of these if a dealer just happened to have a one fully loaded (not likely around here) at a discount. Unfortunately, the 3 series doesn't offer the same level of options, so you are stuck with bland or bland pig with Straightline acceleration (new M5). My X5 M50i is a sweet spot of luxury and performance that is also engaged in a fulltime battle with the laws of physics and has a fairly high price tag. If lucky, one (myself included) might be able to find a loaded lightly used M550i that hasn't been abused.
Appreciate 5
COBodom607.00
deutsch1004021.50
arkhi172.00
SkykingUSA1404.50
      02-20-2024, 01:26 PM   #46
jwong77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
What is your favourite part? Is it quiet and refined?
It’s a very good combination of power, efficiency, refinement and fingers crossed, reliability. Our other family hauler is a Model Y and our X3 is very close to it in terms of acceleration.
      02-20-2024, 08:52 PM   #47
stormchaser
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: NONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PGH View Post
why do we have to accept the fact that these cars get bigger with every new generation
not really sure why this is being done
had multiple M5 in the past and no time , I said I wish this car is bigger
assuming customer demand behind this
in 30 years these cars will be the size of limousine
Agree. I drive a ton in Europe but live in the US. The G30 is very popular there and parking is very tight. This new G60 won't fit. I realize it's only a few inches here and there but it's also a lot heavier.
Appreciate 1
SkykingUSA1404.50
      02-20-2024, 09:07 PM   #48
SpaceSilver.X1
world's slowest BMW driver
Rep
Drives: U11, G60, W211, AZ20

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormchaser View Post
Agree. I drive a ton in Europe but live in the US. The G30 is very popular there and parking is very tight. This new G60 won't fit. I realize it's only a few inches here and there but it's also a lot heavier.
I got the X1 last year for this very reason. The X1 is short and very easy to parallel park in the city(NYC and Boston). Perfect for the trips into the city. It's even shorter than a Honda Civic.(!!!)

My upcoming 530i is at least a foot longer than my X1. However, it will be for longer distance driving where parking space is not a real concern.

Several years ago, I had two very different cars in my garage once. A Mercedes station wagon and a Mini(the BMW Mini, of course)
Appreciate 4
SkykingUSA1404.50
ando2005.00
deutsch1004021.50
      02-20-2024, 11:19 PM   #49
SkykingUSA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 i5 eDrive40

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
I wish they tested the B&W sound system, as they did that to EVERY CAR!
There is a review of the B&W sound system. Here it is.

2024 i5 eDrive40 / Vegas Red / Black Veganza / Dark Oak Gloss Trim with Dark Silv Acc / Premium Package / M Sport Package / M Sport Pro Package / Driving Assistance Pro Package / Luxury Seating Package / 19" 936 M Aero Wheels NonRFT

Appreciate 2
ando2005.00
      02-21-2024, 04:28 AM   #50
zoso4534
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0ot.Us3r View Post
I don’t understand the desire to remove the shift knobs and buttons from everything
It’s always about cost. It’s probably cheaper for them to have it in the software vs hardware buttons. I’m glad I have a G20 before they started that crap. It’s so dangerous to be navigating screens while driving.
Appreciate 2
SkykingUSA1404.50
deutsch1004021.50
      02-21-2024, 04:38 AM   #51
zoso4534
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapula View Post
I, for one, cannot climb up into an SUV because of arthritis. It would need a running board and a grab handle at the very least. Other than 3 bags of groceries, I have nothing to haul. I do take corners at speed in my i5 and it feels well planted, not top heavy like an SUV.
This makes me think of the pickup truck craze. They’re all over these days…driving like nuts with empty beds…People say BMW drivers are jerks. Trying living in a rural area with pickup trucks everywhere and that tune will change fast. I’m constantly getting tailgated by them.
Appreciate 3
Scrapula2839.50
SkykingUSA1404.50
      02-21-2024, 07:25 AM   #52
Prunelles
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoso4534 View Post
It’s always about cost. It’s probably cheaper for them to have it in the software vs hardware buttons. I’m glad I have a G20 before they started that crap. It’s so dangerous to be navigating screens while driving.
In my i4 I very rarely need to navigate into the AC menu. I leave every thing in Auto only adjusting the temp in the main screen is enough for me.

BTW I’ve put an order on the i5 Touring e40 Monday !!!
Appreciate 4
deutsch1004021.50
Scrapula2839.50
SkykingUSA1404.50
      02-21-2024, 07:35 AM   #53
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
maybe but this is still not a fun car to drive... it weighs a ton, is xdrive and has somewhay numb steering... plus its huge.
Why is the current gen M5 winning tons of accolades in the automotive press and YouTube reviewers? It has all of those qualities, maybe a bit less heavy.

Not being argumentative truly I’m just trying to understand. The way I’m looking at it is once you get a car to a certain size and weight of course it may be less fun than a light Cayman but isn’t there the most fun version of whatever a large 4 door sedan can ever be? Like certainly its more fun to drive than a Toyota Camry? If you want a large 4 door sedan that seats 5 adults how would a new M5 rank vs German and Japanese competition in the class, really far behind?

Of course for pure fun I’d rather have an F87 M2CS 6 speed RWD or whatever it the swan song car was for that gen M2. But I can’t stuff five large adults into it?

I guess the counterargument to my argument is that you shouldn’t be driving balls out with 4 other adults in the car At least not 4 mature ones But you gotta drive back on your own after dropping them off, right? 😝
Appreciate 3
deutsch1004021.50
Scrapula2839.50
SkykingUSA1404.50
      02-21-2024, 07:53 AM   #54
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
Why is the current gen M5 winning tons of accolades in the automotive press and YouTube reviewers? It has all of those qualities, maybe a bit less heavy.

Not being argumentative truly I’m just trying to understand. The way I’m looking at it is once you get a car to a certain size and weight of course it may be less fun than a light Cayman but isn’t there the most fun version of whatever a large 4 door sedan can ever be? Like certainly its more fun to drive than a Toyota Camry? If you want a large 4 door sedan that seats 5 adults how would a new M5 rank vs German and Japanese competition in the class, really far behind?

Of course for pure fun I’d rather have an F87 M2CS 6 speed RWD or whatever it the swan song car was for that gen M2. But I can’t stuff five large adults into it?

I guess the counterargument to my argument is that you shouldn’t be driving balls out with 4 other adults in the car At least not 4 mature ones But you gotta drive back on your own after dropping them off, right? ��
The current gen M5 weighs in the 4200 lb area w 617 hp... it's also a far smaller car than the new 5. I DONT think anyone expects the current gen M5 to be lighter or more agile than it already is... it's also got a no nonsense V8 without any hybrid assist... I don't think anyone could argue that.

If you look at the specs that were just provided on the upcoming M5... it somehow ended up at 5400 lbs or more than a Ford F150 crew cab (no idea how that happened). They added hybrid packs / batteries and now you have some insane straight line speed monster w 718 hp that will probably provide no feeling and will feel like moving around in a tank.

The regular 5 series is not an M5 so it can't be fundamentally compared to the regular car... its 4400 lbs, has light weight steering, xdrive and is again much larger than its predecessor... nothing about that indicates an involving driving experience... alas it's not really made for a customer that really cares about that... but my only arguement is that if YOU don't care about that? Why not an SUV like an X5 which is phenomenal and does daily duty so much better? I think sales numbers will answer that question for us soon... the midsize segment has been dying quickly in North America.
      02-21-2024, 11:18 AM   #55
Scrapula
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW i5 M60

Quote:
Why not an SUV like an X5 which is phenomenal and does daily duty so much better? I think sales numbers will answer that question for us soon... the midsize segment has been dying quickly in North America.
As people age, they won’t want an SUV. I cannot step up onto a bar stool, let alone an SUV. For fun, I tried at the dealership, I didn’t stand a hope in hell for the X7 or XM. The X5 is close but no cigar. My husband is having a total knee replacement in 3 weeks. Thank God we have the 5. This will be the trend going forward as young people are choosing not to have children. Just an aging population.
Appreciate 2
LVBMW1478.50
SkykingUSA1404.50
      02-21-2024, 12:02 PM   #56
JohnEnglish
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0ot.Us3r View Post
I don’t understand the desire to remove the shift knobs and buttons from everything
Cost savings. It is massively cheaper to build a touchscreen and make changes via software as opposed to mechanical buttons, switches, and levers. Plus, there’s the added “benefit” of being able to add and remove features via software updates.
Appreciate 2
OHV_441878.50
SkykingUSA1404.50
      02-21-2024, 12:37 PM   #57
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEnglish View Post
Cost savings. It is massively cheaper to build a touchscreen and make changes via software as opposed to mechanical buttons, switches, and levers. Plus, there’s the added “benefit” of being able to add and remove features via software updates.
I don't think it's that clear cut. Is it more cost effective? Sure. But (my hot take of the day) it's also better looking, less cluttered, and more modern. ID8 does everything I need it to, when I need it, and it'll only get better from here.
Appreciate 3
Scrapula2839.50
SkykingUSA1404.50
      02-21-2024, 04:48 PM   #58
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3, X7, iX

Garage List
24 BMW iXM60  [10.00]
24 BMW M3  [9.77]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
As people age, they won’t want an SUV. I cannot step up onto a bar stool, let alone an SUV. For fun, I tried at the dealership, I didn’t stand a hope in hell for the X7 or XM. The X5 is close but no cigar. My husband is having a total knee replacement in 3 weeks. Thank God we have the 5. This will be the trend going forward as young people are choosing not to have children. Just an aging population.
Counterpoint: my dad is in his 70s and finds it easier after two partial knee replacements to get into his Audi SQ7 than get out of a sedan. It depends how high off the ground the SUV is or how low the sedan is, but it seems like for most aging people that I know the crossover type vehicles are easier than a sedan. It also depends how tall you are, of course. The Audi is more like a lifted wagon than the X7 though. Sideways ingress/egress is better than climbing up or settling down into a vehicle.
Appreciate 3
SkykingUSA1404.50
deutsch1004021.50
ASAP10208.50
      02-21-2024, 05:23 PM   #59
Bob in IL
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 G01 X3, 2019 G30 5 Series

Quote:
Speaking of an aging population. I'm probably older than most here and while recently shopping for a new vehicle, step in/out heights were a major consideration for my wife and me. It's hard to find this information on new cars so I was using ground clearance numbers to get an idea of what might be of interest for us.
SkykingUSA1404.50
deutsch1004021.50
      02-21-2024, 06:00 PM   #60
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 540 Xdrive

Quote:
The current gen M5 weighs in the 4200 lb area w 617 hp... it's also a far smaller car than the new 5. I DONT think anyone expects the current gen M5 to be lighter or more agile than it already is... it's also got a no nonsense V8 without any hybrid assist... I don't think anyone could argue that.

If you look at the specs that were just provided on the upcoming M5... it somehow ended up at 5400 lbs or more than a Ford F150 crew cab (no idea how that happened). They added hybrid packs / batteries and now you have some insane straight line speed monster w 718 hp that will probably provide no feeling and will feel like moving around in a tank.

The regular 5 series is not an M5 so it can't be fundamentally compared to the regular car... its 4400 lbs, has light weight steering, xdrive and is again much larger than its predecessor... nothing about that indicates an involving driving experience... alas it's not really made for a customer that really cares about that... but my only arguement is that if YOU don't care about that? Why not an SUV like an X5 which is phenomenal and does daily duty so much better? I think sales numbers will answer that question for us soon... the midsize segment has been dying quickly in North America.
I currently have a 2022 X5 40i. Previous vehicle was a 2020 540i, both Xdrive. Both were great vehicles. I too bemoan the increase in size; it was not necessary as the G30 was roomy and comfortable and sized just about right. My 540 was the base suspension and I believe the last year you could order 18 inch non-runflat tires, which I did. I purchased both vehicles for upscale comfort. The X5 is a great vehicle but the ride (on 19 inch wheels and I put non-runflats) goes from passable but busy to quite abrupt on certain (and numerous where I live) roads. You can no longer purchase air suspension on the 40i, which is a huge mistake to me but that is BMW today. Decontent and take choice away from the US market (available both north and south of the border).

I did a brief test drive in a G60 540 with base suspension and 19 inch wheels. The ride was noticeably better than my X5, and from my recollection, better than my G30 540 (not by the same margin because the 540 had softer springing but worse handling than the X5). It did not seem to negatively affect the handling that much. This is not a sports car, but a comfy, solid handling rear drive chassis. Again, short drive but given the ride of the base X5 (50e has air and M60 has it has an option) I am seriously considering a change due to the superior comfort (and the 540 also seemed quieter). And it has a nice sized trunk and rear seat room as good or better than the X5. So unless you need the SUV proportions or ride height or large cargo area (which the X5 does have) the 540i Xdrive is a more comfortable vehicle overall and that would be my reason for getting it over the X5.
Appreciate 5
ASAP10208.50
Scrapula2839.50
COBodom607.00
deutsch1004021.50
      02-21-2024, 11:15 PM   #61
COBodom
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020540 View Post
I currently have a 2022 X5 40i. Previous vehicle was a 2020 540i, both Xdrive. Both were great vehicles. I too bemoan the increase in size; it was not necessary as the G30 was roomy and comfortable and sized just about right. My 540 was the base suspension and I believe the last year you could order 18 inch non-runflat tires, which I did. I purchased both vehicles for upscale comfort. The X5 is a great vehicle but the ride (on 19 inch wheels and I put non-runflats) goes from passable but busy to quite abrupt on certain (and numerous where I live) roads. You can no longer purchase air suspension on the 40i, which is a huge mistake to me but that is BMW today. Decontent and take choice away from the US market (available both north and south of the border).

I did a brief test drive in a G60 540 with base suspension and 19 inch wheels. The ride was noticeably better than my X5, and from my recollection, better than my G30 540 (not by the same margin because the 540 had softer springing but worse handling than the X5). It did not seem to negatively affect the handling that much. This is not a sports car, but a comfy, solid handling rear drive chassis. Again, short drive but given the ride of the base X5 (50e has air and M60 has it has an option) I am seriously considering a change due to the superior comfort (and the 540 also seemed quieter). And it has a nice sized trunk and rear seat room as good or better than the X5. So unless you need the SUV proportions or ride height or large cargo area (which the X5 does have) the 540i Xdrive is a more comfortable vehicle overall and that would be my reason for getting it over the X5.
100% Agreed.

I have a G60 540 msport (704 suspension) on 19 inch non-RFT and one thing that immediately stands out is the ride comfort when compared to my previous two G30s on 19 RFTs and with 704. The G60 is exponentially more comfortable, its quieter and eats up road imperfections like they do not exist. Granted the non-RFT Michelin tires contribute.

The seats are unbelievably comfortable too, I had multi-contour nappa leather seats on my prior two G30s and I consider seats in G60 much more comfortable. Finally I sit "in the seat" not "on the seat".

G60 also handles very well. Steering is super precise and fast, albeit lite, but I actually like that more too. The acceleration leaves nothing to be desired. G30 540xi felt fast, this one feels faster.

The tech is next level. I especially enjoy the self-driving thing of up to 85mph (eyes monitoring), combined with lane changing by looking in the mirrors. G30 had that too but up to 40mph only. I enjoy driving G60 immensely but I also enjoy having the option to relax a bit on a long road trip (to all the Dominic Torettos out there before you comment).

I share the sentiment, if anyone is looking for a spacious, sublime highway cruiser with a sporty attitude the G60 540 delivers on every front.
SkykingUSA1404.50
Scrapula2839.50
deutsch1004021.50
cdmulders330.50
tsbrown1098.00
      02-22-2024, 02:48 AM   #62
SkykingUSA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 i5 eDrive40

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in IL View Post
Speaking of an aging population. I'm probably older than most here and while recently shopping for a new vehicle, step in/out heights were a major consideration for my wife and me. It's hard to find this information on new cars so I was using ground clearance numbers to get an idea of what might be of interest for us.
I have no problems getting in and out of vehicles, but my wife sure does. Whenever we went shopping for a car, it was something that would make or break a deal for her. If she had trouble getting in or out of the vehicle, she would not want that car. Luckily for us, the i5 was tall enough for her to get in and out of without having issues. I guess it's like the baby bear's bed - the car is not too high and not too low, it's just right.

That was the main reason her last car was a low SUV. It was one of the easiest vehicles for her to get into and to get out of. I guess electric vehicles in general are better suited for her since they tend to sit a little higher than the ICE cars due to the batteries. I'm glad it suits her, because I fell in love with it when I test drove it and I wouldn't want a car that was difficult for her to use.
2024 i5 eDrive40 / Vegas Red / Black Veganza / Dark Oak Gloss Trim with Dark Silv Acc / Premium Package / M Sport Package / M Sport Pro Package / Driving Assistance Pro Package / Luxury Seating Package / 19" 936 M Aero Wheels NonRFT

Appreciate 7
OHV_441878.50
RoGo330i144.00
ando2005.00
Scrapula2839.50
LVBMW1478.50
deutsch1004021.50
      02-22-2024, 11:38 AM   #63
Scrapula
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW i5 M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkykingUSA View Post
I have no problems getting in and out of vehicles, but my wife sure does. Whenever we went shopping for a car, it was something that would make or break a deal for her. If she had trouble getting in or out of the vehicle, she would not want that car. Luckily for us, the i5 was tall enough for her to get in and out of without having issues. I guess it's like the baby bear's bed - the car is not too high and not too low, it's just right.

That was the main reason her last car was a low SUV. It was one of the easiest vehicles for her to get into and to get out of. I guess electric vehicles in general are better suited for her since they tend to sit a little higher than the ICE cars due to the batteries. I'm glad it suits her, because I fell in love with it when I test drove it and I wouldn't want a car that was difficult for her to use.
My husband would not get in my Jaguar because it is too low. Back in the 90’s, I was going to buy a BMW 3 series, but he didn’t fit. He is 6’2” and I am 5”1, so we ended up with separate vehicles all the time. I cannot drive his Lightning, but I can pull myself up on the passenger side with the grab handle and running board. But, I cannot do that on the driver’s side. We had a Mazda CX-9, I could sometimes get in the driver’s side but by the end of the day, I can’t lift my right leg more than 6” off the ground. We got rid of that vehicle when we got the 5. It’s low enough for me, but tall enough for him. The 4 was too low for him as well.
Appreciate 4
LVBMW1478.50
SkykingUSA1404.50
deutsch1004021.50
      02-22-2024, 04:59 PM   #64
Neusser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 G31 540i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormchaser View Post
I've lived in Europe for about 20 years and the G31 is the first car I have ever had trouble managing here.

Roads and parking are generally pretty tight. Most driving can be done, but there are quite a few white knuckle moments in German construction lanes or on Belgian or French backroads.

I can't imagine driving a G60 here, but I have seen a few on the road. All a matter of how much stress you want to put up with.
Appreciate 3
SkykingUSA1404.50
Scrapula2839.50
deutsch1004021.50
      02-23-2024, 10:19 PM   #65
440i6MT
Brother
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i, soon E60 M5 Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prunelles View Post
In my i4 I very rarely need to navigate into the AC menu. I leave every thing in Auto only adjusting the temp in the main screen is enough for me.

BTW I’ve put an order on the i5 Touring e40 Monday !!!
Out of curiosity, how often do you change vehicles?
Appreciate 3
SkykingUSA1404.50
Scrapula2839.50
      02-23-2024, 11:32 PM   #66
deutsch100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i7 60, XM, M3 Comp, 911 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerfun82 View Post
Counterpoint: my dad is in his 70s and finds it easier after two partial knee replacements to get into his Audi SQ7 than get out of a sedan. It depends how high off the ground the SUV is or how low the sedan is, but it seems like for most aging people that I know the crossover type vehicles are easier than a sedan. It also depends how tall you are, of course. The Audi is more like a lifted wagon than the X7 though. Sideways ingress/egress is better than climbing up or settling down into a vehicle.
Your dad would love the iX then. Even easier than the Audi (or any other car) to get in and out of!
Appreciate 4
LVBMW1478.50
SkykingUSA1404.50
Scrapula2839.50