BMW i5 and 5-Series Forum

12-09-2023, 07:14 PM   #45
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: I6-> iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by alewifebp View Post
Just picked up my i5 M60 that I custom ordered. Carbon black with black merino, carbon fiber trim. 20" 930M all seasons, M sport pro with red calipers, Executive package, driving assistance and front ventilated seats. Came from an X5 M50.

Had a nice long trip with mostly highway miles to bring it home. Overall, really loving it!

As expected, first things first, this thing moves! Put it in sport mode and it really moves. But acceleration is just effortless all throughout the power band. And even though the car is heavy, I didn't really feel it. Now, I'm coming from the X5 with a V8, and I had two F10s with the V8, so I'm kind of used to heavy cars. The suspension was very compliant and had a comfortable ride. But when pushed in to the corners, it was firmly planted. Overall, for the kind of driving I do, and the desire to have a mixture of luxury and sport, this really hits all of the right buttons for me. It also feels extremely tight and put together. So for me, driving dynamics are excellent.

First electric car for me, so I'm having a little bit of a paradigm shift in that area. Of course not specific to the i5, but the range isn't superb. Mind you, I rarely drive such long distances these days, and I do a lot of local driving, 800-900 miles per month. I was able to perform two complimentary charging sessions today. Between Baltimore and home, stopped at a Wawa in Deleware, charged and picked up something to eat. While I could have made it all the way home, I still wanted to drive more and didn't want to have to plug it in until I get the wall box [...]
I wonder how this 250 would fair in 20 degree weather. Has bmw factored in that degregation? Porsche’s Taycan does well with little thermal loss. I wonder how?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2023, 07:48 PM   #46
Sequence001
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 & 2024 i5

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHDCF View Post
Nice write up, and glad you're happy with it so far. This car is amazing and I'm glad and thankful that I own one. Realllly thought that I'd miss the amazing v8 twin turbo sound but I don't at all.

I think the only thing I'm not liking - and this is very minor - is not having ability on the steering wheel to skip to next song (arrows, not head up scrolls). Not a big deal in the end, but I miss having that option available.

Something I'm really starting to like, but didn't think I would, is the the rolling volume button. The placement works well in a certain and often used situation.
This car definitely has a Learning Curve. The steering wheel does have the ability to skip songs though. You have to push the scroll wheel to the right or left and it skips to the next or previous song.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2023, 08:46 PM   #47
alewifebp
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i

Garage List
2024 i5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rundeyvoo View Post
Great write up, thanks for sharing! How does it compare to the quality and overall build (fit & finish) coming from your X5?
Material quality is a downgrade, for sure. Door armrest is much harder than in the X5, buttons are cheaper feeling (although a lot fewer of them), and some of the materials just look kind of cheaper. However, I remember when I had my G30, I ordered the leather dash just because the regular dash looked terrible in my opinion. If it had been available, I would have ordered it here as well.

It's not terrible like a Tesla, it's just kind of cheap considering the price. I don't have first hand experience, but I've heard and seen that even in the Mercedes EQ cars, the interior looks luxurious, but feel terrible and give way when pressed. So it may just be a sign of the times.

Overall build is excellent though. Panels align, no creaks, all that you would expect from a BMW.
Appreciate 4
      12-10-2023, 06:52 AM   #48
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonallterrain View Post
Good review and right on point!

I just came back from a work trip and Hertz gave me a Tesla. I was surprised how basic Tesla is and totally ddon't get the hype some people have on this forum. How someone would pick a Tesla over i5 is totally beyond me!
I didn’t realize Hertz was renting the Model S or X. They only had the 3 and Y from what I recall. The new Model S interior and exterior compare pretty well with the i5. I haven’t sat in an i5, but I have in an M5. The Model S seats, audio, tech and overall interior ambience is pretty good. Also, personally, I have seen an i5 on the road and to me the Model S looks nicer. Although, I still think the Tycan and Lucid Air beats them both in overall design…JMHO
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2023, 06:53 AM   #49
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alewifebp View Post
Yes. Only two options are the standard "vegan" leather and the Merino, which I opted for.
Congrats! Beautiful car…
Appreciate 0