BMW i5 and 5-Series Forum

02-22-2023, 04:59 PM   #23
malvern_man
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40i xDrive

I can recommend PPF, I had my 22 plate X5 Gyeon PPF'd and ceramic coated just after I bought it.

PPF applied to complete front end, headlights, mirror casings, A pillars, sills and inner door sills too.

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2023, 09:05 PM   #24
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AM340iMiami View Post
What shop in North Miami are you talking about? I use Detail Boutique in West Miami. They are pretty expensive.
I just sent you a private message.
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2023, 02:04 AM   #25
RichF90M5C
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhayes View Post
Having worked FOR YEARS with people who say what you just said, for EVERY SINGLE ONE who left the ppf on longer than five years, they had to get the whole bumper repainted ANYWAY. Cause it ruins the paint if you leave it on that long (or peels it off, etc.)

That being said, OP, if you can afford to replace it frequently enough, those people are happy. If you expect PPF to be the "end all solution forever" you're better off taking care of the finish the way BMW intended it.

Just been my experience.

Shawn
Maybe that’s the case with cheap crappy PPF, but the Xpel carries a 10 year warranty, against exactly that.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2023, 04:58 AM   #26
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
Get the right PPF and the right shop and it looks amazing. Have my Land Cruiser matte PPFed and it looks like a factory finish it’s so good.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
Burrcold5335.00
bvrider1345.00
ROASTM163.50
      02-23-2023, 01:32 PM   #27
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichF90M5C View Post
Maybe that’s the case with cheap crappy PPF, but the Xpel carries a 10 year warranty, against exactly that.
Yes, and I am pretty sure that in the event that you move you can take your car to any of their authorized shops nationwide.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2023, 01:36 PM   #28
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBO View Post
Get the right PPF and the right shop and it looks amazing. Have my Land Cruiser matte PPFed and it looks like a factory finish it’s so good.
Your Land Cruiser looks fabulous!

Out of curiosity what brand of stealth PPF did you use?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2023, 02:49 PM   #29
AM340iMiami
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

That land cruiser is dope. Plan on putting some meatier tires on that?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2023, 03:55 PM   #30
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AM340iMiami View Post
That land cruiser is dope. Plan on putting some meatier tires on that?
Definitely, I've been wanting to go 20s with 285s, but they just aren't available in the correct offsets yet, current ones stick out just enough to be illegal here in Aus. Looks the freaking business though!

I'll probably have to settle for a chunky set of tyres on 18s.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2023, 04:02 PM   #31
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
Your Land Cruiser looks fabulous!

Out of curiosity what brand of stealth PPF did you use?
If memory serves it was Avery Dennison but I'll check with the shop.
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2023, 04:27 PM   #32
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline408 View Post
You don't have to go that far. Come to sf bay area! The shop I used does full stek for half the cost of what you quoted!
Which one?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2023, 04:36 PM   #33
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM09ALY View Post

Wondering if be worth ppf front bumper and bonnet only use car weekend and probably do about 3000 miles a year.
Here's how to decide:
  1. Do your other cars normally get a lot of little paint chips in the front?
  2. Do you live on a dirt road or in a sand / desert region?
  3. Do you live in a snow state where they sand & do freeway driving?
  4. Do you go to the track or HPDEs often?
  5. Do you know where where every defect 1mm+ is? Will you own the car for 10+ years?
If any of these are true then PPF is probably a good idea.

On the other hand, know that PPF only works in a narrow case:
The physical damage is small enough that it doesn't leave a dent and/or trigger comprehensive insurance coverage (e.g., large door ding, gravel truck unloads in front of you, bolt hits you on the freeway, etc), but large enough that you notice it & it bugs you, i.e., those tiny paint chips that you don't notice unless you have a lot of them (see why above) or you do the detailing and you're super anal.
And there are a lot of downsides:

* it's expensive and for the same money you could buy an insane detailing setup
* it can be a hassle on installs and maintenance
* if it's damaged will you replace it or let it dangle damaged?
* it doesn't increase the value of the car
* it looks like your car is covered in saran wrap (cuz it is)

As someone who does their own detailing I can say I don't have it because I don't like the look and I like to polish my own paint and my entire baller setup cost 50% of PPF and I own this stuff forever.

With that, I also have no fear of respraying part of my car (which is cheaper than PPF!) and, sadly, all of my cars over the last 20 years have had at least part resprayed and it's never been an issue (and I'd know if it was), but some people do fear a respray and/or have had problems.

That said I've had 2 F8xs and never had a spun crank hub which other people complain about around here soooo...

Last edited by GrussGott; 02-23-2023 at 04:45 PM..
Appreciate 2
      02-23-2023, 06:41 PM   #34
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Aston Martin Vantage & others

I don't even know how people think PPF is an 'option' in this day and age. It's almost mandatory in my opinion and at least the full front end at the very least. I typically wrap my vehicles 100% from the front to back and sides. It's a no brainer and yes it's a bit of a cost up front but an investment to keep the vehicle looking clean. I also generally opt for the stealth film which makes the vehicle matte/satin and serves a double purpose insofar as I am concerned.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2023, 09:55 PM   #35
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa View Post

It's a no brainer
Well, for me it would take no brain to think PPF was remotely smart My X5 is 15 months old and been driven from San Diego to Vancouver, BC 4 times as well as my daily driver.

I have 3 tiny paint chips & it would take you an hour to find them IF you could find them. So those 3 paint chips in 15 months are worth $5k+ in your opinion?

Of course they aren't, that'd be stupid. And I do my own detailing!

Anyway, you wondered how PPF is even an option, well that's how: I'd be a total moron to get PPF.

That said, X5s (and especially with 22" PS4s) are notorious for lower-door road rash and mine definitely has it! So I shoulda PPF'd that

Even so, here are two pics, same time, one Sun, on shade, you point out the road rash:

Anyone who's first thought wasn't:
"damn he needs to get some Brake Buster to prevent that unsightly rotor rust "
probably doesn't have the personality nor knowledge to wisely buy PPF.

In short, for many people, PPF is purely an emotional purchase, not a rational one.

e.g., a non-M car has sure as fuck never been an option for me, but that's mostly because I'm an insecure douchebag looking for validation, not because I ever needed it.

Last edited by GrussGott; 02-23-2023 at 10:04 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2023, 10:30 PM   #36
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

Well based on that theory, buying a BMW over a cheaper commuter is also an emotional purchase and not particularly a rational one. While I don't necessarily disagree with you per se, let's just say that those 3 chips would bug the crap out of me knowing they were there. So I am glad that they don't bother you but I like my stuff impeccable so for me PPF is a no brainer. Now a slight difference for me also is that I have a really good connection who does the wrap and it costs me about 50% cheaper than market rate - so that makes it even more so a no-brainer.

Also where we live in winter there are rocks on the road so I can understand why someone in Newport Beach might not feel the need.
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2023, 01:53 AM   #37
RichF90M5C
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Well, for me it would take no brain to think PPF was remotely smart My X5 is 15 months old and been driven from San Diego to Vancouver, BC 4 times as well as my daily driver.

I have 3 tiny paint chips & it would take you an hour to find them IF you could find them. So those 3 paint chips in 15 months are worth $5k+ in your opinion?

Of course they aren't, that'd be stupid. And I do my own detailing!

Anyway, you wondered how PPF is even an option, well that's how: I'd be a total moron to get PPF.

That said, X5s (and especially with 22" PS4s) are notorious for lower-door road rash and mine definitely has it! So I shoulda PPF'd that

Even so, here are two pics, same time, one Sun, on shade, you point out the road rash:

Anyone who's first thought wasn't:
"damn he needs to get some Brake Buster to prevent that unsightly rotor rust "
probably doesn't have the personality nor knowledge to wisely buy PPF.

In short, for many people, PPF is purely an emotional purchase, not a rational one.

e.g., a non-M car has sure as fuck never been an option for me, but that's mostly because I'm an insecure douchebag looking for validation, not because I ever needed it.
Hang on, either your car only has three paint chips and you’re against PPF, or it has loads of lower door rash, and you regret it? You’ve completely contradicted yourself.

Your pictures are from a distance, of course we won’t see any chips. Put your money where your mouth is, and post some extreme close ups of the front bumper, and we’ll point out all the chips for you.
Appreciate 2
ksa1072.50
      02-24-2023, 04:58 PM   #38
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hang on, either your car only has three paint chips and you’re against PPF, or it has loads of lower door rash, and you regret it? You’ve completely contradicted yourself.
Lol, zomg the contradictions!

Since I'm not a moron I don't consider rash & chips the same thing since rash can be filled in somewhat to mostly with a good filler sealant like NV's Nova Lustre whereas chips need to be repaired.

Pic attached, but it's dirty as I just took it so it might be hard to differentiate. I'll do a clean one for you next wash
Attached Images

Last edited by GrussGott; 02-24-2023 at 10:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2023, 02:44 PM   #39
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

PPF is a no-brainer for me. Don't like respraying my front bumper and rear quarter panels. It's really hard to blend certain paints well on the hood and fenders (and the rear haunches). Also the A-pillar could take a beating too.

If I have to choose one, PPF over ceramic every time. I can get 85% of the results of a professional doing the paint correction and ceramic myself.

And for anyone who likes to have spirited drives with others, especially on the track or on country roads, PPF is protection from all those little rocks you hear hitting your windshield (and front bumper, hood, fenders and rear quarter panel for those with spacers). I'd rather periodically have the PPF replaced (because it will get battered too) than respraying parts of the car.
Appreciate 1
      02-25-2023, 04:47 PM   #40
shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

Quote:
Alrighty then, considering I believe all my friends had used good films at the time....

Pipe up. Who has had the original film on for ten years with no problems? Be glad to hear that.

Shawn
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18193.50
      02-25-2023, 05:26 PM   #41
Jbrown7403
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

As a full bumper, hood, quarter panel, mirror and roof PPF-er, I strongly recommend. I’m at 49,000 miles and my car still looks 99% new.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2023, 10:25 PM   #42
Nettles
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa View Post
Well based on that theory, buying a BMW over a cheaper commuter is also an emotional purchase and not particularly a rational one. While I don't necessarily disagree with you per se, let's just say that those 3 chips would bug the crap out of me knowing they were there. So I am glad that they don't bother you but I like my stuff impeccable so for me PPF is a no brainer. Now a slight difference for me also is that I have a really good connection who does the wrap and it costs me about 50% cheaper than market rate - so that makes it even more so a no-brainer.

Also where we live in winter there are rocks on the road so I can understand why someone in Newport Beach might not feel the need.
LOL you really left out the biggest part that makes it worth it to YOU. A 50% discount on ppf would make it worth it to a lot of people. At full rates in todays market it doesn’t for everyone. Camrys and civics aren’t being protected for the majority.
Appreciate 2
Cos270608.50
GrussGott18193.50
      02-27-2023, 09:18 AM   #43
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbrown7403 View Post
As a full bumper, hood, quarter panel, mirror and roof PPF-er, I strongly recommend. I’m at 49,000 miles and my car still looks 99% new.
What brand is it?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2023, 10:45 AM   #44
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettles View Post
LOL you really left out the biggest part that makes it worth it to YOU. A 50% discount on ppf would make it worth it to a lot of people. At full rates in todays market it doesn’t for everyone. Camrys and civics aren’t being protected for the majority.
Fair. But for me, I would do it regardless of the cost depending on the caliber of the car it would be going on of course. But I agree not worth the full wrap on Camry's and Civic's but if you take pride in the ownership of your vehicle and would hold on to them for a long time then at least a full front-end is justified.
Appreciate 0