BMW i5 and 5-Series Forum

04-11-2024, 12:19 PM   #1
NCVince
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2024 540 Xdrive

Window tint?

Newbie here - new to both the forum and to BMW ownership.

Picked up my 540i and I'm curious what the consensus is on window tinting. I live in the South and most cars get unbearably hot when parked outdoors here...in my other cars, I've sprung for a top-quality ceramic tint.

I noticed that BMW had heat and acoustically insulated "comfort glass" in the past, but I didn't see that as an option. Still, my new car does seem to have something going on because the windows are very slightly tinted and it doesn't seem to get super-hot parked in the sun (but of course, it's April - not August).

I don't mind spending the money for a good tint - just want to make sure there aren't any "gotchas", products to avoid, or reasons not to that I'd be unaware of.

I was surprised that my dealer doesn't offer tinting - seems like one of those add-ons most dealers use to boost profits. I asked about it and was told that tint sometimes bubbles or has other issues, so it was just too much of a headache for them. Still, I wanted to check with other owners to make sure there's not some other issue that I wouldn't think of.
Appreciate 1
gblansten1987.00
      04-11-2024, 12:42 PM   #2
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

I would post this in the five series forum that corresponds to your 540i. You will get better answers there.

Last edited by gblansten; 04-11-2024 at 01:10 PM..
Appreciate 1
FSHNGRY2347.50
      04-11-2024, 02:28 PM   #3
NCVince
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2024 540 Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
I would post this in the five series forum that corresponds to your 540i. You will get better answers there.
Apologies to the group - I didn't notice I was in the wrong place...the heading at the top of the page says "BMW i5 and 5-Series Forum" - I didn't notice the G90 banner until you guys pointed it out.
Appreciate 1
gblansten1987.00