NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i xDrive (2020)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Angel View Post
People will buy them because they want a 911, not because they want an EV. If an inferior 911 is all that’s available they’ll buy it.
People don’t get this, most of the time. “But the new one is selling like hot cakes!”. Yeah because you stopped making the other one, not because they prefer it. Not saying it’s always true or even usually true, but it is something that happens.

RETIRED: 2018 540i Luxury Line (Dark Graphite/Canberra Beige)
Appreciate 2
Blue Angel1023.00
      03-14-2024, 08:56 PM   #90
Emarkman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i

Super charged electric lawn mower. No thanks, happy with my 2023 M5 Comp.
Attached Images

Appreciate 7
NGT25686.50
MackSea70781.50
Jimjamz4596.50
BMWX5MC29.00
jphcbpa316.00
      03-14-2024, 11:51 PM   #91
Wtfitzvi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

Garage List
We all talked shit about the G80 and ended up buying one.

It’s going to be the same with the new M5. We’re just going to adapt with the changes overcome and purchase.
      03-15-2024, 03:47 AM   #92
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Nice to see 5 pages about gear shifter, weight and big wheels.
I recall the days we thought there is no reason to have big SUV cars ( X5/X6) with M badge and today all M cars are getting bigger, heavier, less sporty and more expensive. I also dont understand why BMW put that theater display on M3/M4 and now M5.
M cars todays dont look like real M cars the way they used to be😞
As a side note +5000 lb car has no where close to a car born in racetrack ( M division advertisement)…
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 07:25 AM   #93
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Agree . What is a m car now is not what it once was

I’d argue the g30 m550 might be closer to I spirit to the m cars of old . I’ll elaborate, I thought m cars were fast comfortable grantourers that were under the radar. Subtle changes that didn’t shout about performer unless you were a petrolhead and knew
Highly specced up, comfortable and able to charge across a country at a great neck of speed competently

That was my take on what they were anyway
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 07:51 AM   #94
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3, X7, iX

Garage List
24 BMW iXM60  [10.00]
24 BMW M3  [9.77]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wtfitzvi View Post
We all talked shit about the G80 and ended up buying one.

It’s going to be the same with the new M5. We’re just going to adapt with the changes overcome and purchase.
I think you’ll see more demand for the M3. I wonder what other cars are out there that would be a better option. In the states it’s easier and faster to get an X5M which has less complication etc so perhaps that will see some of the old M5 demand.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 08:02 AM   #95
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

I wonder why they bother to cover up the door panels and dash board when they are the same as the 5 series already released and sold? The only interior differences between the M5 and non-M 5 series has been the gear selector, seats, M tabs on steering wheel and maybe a M5 badge on the screen. So no reason to try to hide the entire interior.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 09:44 AM   #96
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 24 M4 Comp/24 X3 M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emarkman View Post
Super charged electric lawn mower. No thanks, happy with my 2023 M5 Comp.
Keep yours. It will go down as the last “real” M5.
Appreciate 2
NGT25686.50
      03-15-2024, 09:53 AM   #97
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerfun82 View Post
I think you’ll see more demand for the M3. I wonder what other cars are out there that would be a better option. In the states it’s easier and faster to get an X5M which has less complication etc so perhaps that will see some of the old M5 demand.
I agree. I think there will be demand for the M340 and M3 in the coming few years, as people see the 3 series is the last of the core models still portraying what people think of as BMW. Eventually, it will follow the 5 and 7 into this new territory of huge proportions and electrification.

Maybe when battery tech becomes more efficient they will be able to build cars that aren’t boats, are lower to the ground, and weigh less. But I’ll still miss the drama of ICE. I don’t think EV is bad, I just wish there wasn’t this wholesale changeover by force. The market would support both for quite a while, maybe forever.

Appreciate 2
      03-15-2024, 10:02 AM   #98
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 24 M4 Comp/24 X3 M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGT2 View Post
I agree. I think there will be demand for the M340 and M3 in the coming few years, as people see the 3 series is the last of the core models still portraying what people think of as BMW. Eventually, it will follow the 5 and 7 into this new territory of huge proportions and electrification.

Maybe when battery tech becomes more efficient they will be able to build cars that aren’t boats, are lower to the ground, and weigh less. But I’ll still miss the drama of ICE. I don’t think EV is bad, I just wish there wasn’t this wholesale changeover by force. The market would support both for quite a while, maybe forever.
I think the conversion to EV is slowing way down and ICE will remain for the foreseeable future. However, that does not mean that sporty ICE cars will remain. Those of us who love these cars will probably hang onto them once BMW stops making them. My gut feeling is, if anything remains ICE and performance related, it will be the M models because of the profit they generate for BMW. The more pedestrian models are more likely to see the ICE versions turn hybrid or full EV. Time will tell if my prediction is accurate.
Appreciate 1
Ilyam5896.00
      03-15-2024, 10:06 AM   #99
brianeck
Part Time Firetruck Crash Barrier
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix Mineral Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by XM Label View Post
Some people prefer paddle shifters (like myself) over shifting gears with an automatic transmission stick. I get many car enthusiasts prefer stick but they (BMW) make what sells and most non car people don’t buy manuals and prefer paddle shifters…
This is a completely ridiculous argument. Some people prefer paddle shifters. Some people prefer the stick. Since they used to offer both, both sides were happy. Now that they have taken one away, we can clearly see many people are not happy.

Next they will use the argument that "there is no demand for automatic gear selectors, as shown in the sales data" since there are no sales, and none is offered like they do with all the other price cutting or dumb design decisions they make, and people making arguments like this will defend them and make them feel validated in their poor implementations.

Do you find the USB stick selector levers or selector wheels to be an improvement over gear selector levers? Have you driven one? It's really not always viable to drive with both hands at 10 and 2 especially when you have to do every stupid UI maneuver through the touchscreen. This completely defeats the entire purpose of the idrive wheel as well since you can no longer rest your hand near the selector for spirited driving. The idrive wheel was the only saving grace for touch screen everything - next that will die too, and then we're all stuck not paying attention to the road whole we try and change the heat settings in the giant panoramic screens.

It's ridiculous, and it's not a step forward.
Appreciate 1
RoGo330i144.00
      03-15-2024, 10:10 AM   #100
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine300zhp View Post
I think the conversion to EV is slowing way down and ICE will remain for the foreseeable future. However, that does not mean that sporty ICE cars will remain. Those of us who love these cars will probably hang onto them once BMW stops making them. My gut feeling is, if anything remains ICE and performance related, it will be the M models because of the profit they generate for BMW. The more pedestrian models are more likely to see the ICE versions turn hybrid or full EV. Time will tell if my prediction is accurate.
I don’t know. I agree the conversion is slowing. But there’s also a business and profit angle. So much capital has already been invested in the electrification. It’s hard to see much return to the BMW car design and powertrain that we love. The M5 is basically going to be the sedan version of the XM. I don’t see it going back to being a lighter, full ICE car in the future. But maybe there is enough time for the next 3 to keep more of the traditional characteristics. At the same time, whatever the next 3 is, it is being drawn up as we speak. So it’s being drawn up according to todays regs and industry climate. All of this requires capital investment and that requires return on investment. Hard to believe car companies will just write off all that investment and do an about face. But I wish they would.

Appreciate 1
      03-15-2024, 10:12 AM   #101
jz
Rep
Drives: m8c coupe

electric is not bothering me, nowdays most new supercars and f1cars has a part engine electric. But who buy a Mpower without shifter...

Last edited by jz; 03-15-2024 at 10:18 AM..
Appreciate 1
Jimjamz4596.50
      03-15-2024, 10:47 AM   #102
XM Label
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: XM/XB7

Garage List
2024 XM Label  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianeck View Post
This is a completely ridiculous argument. Some people prefer paddle shifters. Some people prefer the stick. Since they used to offer both, both sides were happy. Now that they have taken one away, we can clearly see many people are not happy.

Next they will use the argument that "there is no demand for automatic gear selectors, as shown in the sales data" since there are no sales, and none is offered like they do with all the other price cutting or dumb design decisions they make, and people making arguments like this will defend them and make them feel validated in their poor implementations.

Do you find the USB stick selector levers or selector wheels to be an improvement over gear selector levers? Have you driven one? It's really not always viable to drive with both hands at 10 and 2 especially when you have to do every stupid UI maneuver through the touchscreen. This completely defeats the entire purpose of the idrive wheel as well since you can no longer rest your hand near the selector for spirited driving. The idrive wheel was the only saving grace for touch screen everything - next that will die too, and then we're all stuck not paying attention to the road whole we try and change the heat settings in the giant panoramic screens.

I have driven all sorts of cars with levers, buttons, knobs, lack of buttons, etc etc.I think you predicted what will happen in the near future with your reply! Buttons will be gone next and also idrive wheel. It will be touchscreen and voice activated. We will all adapt. Truthfully I thought I would hate the lack of buttons but the voice control is getting better and I am learning more commands every day that I thought it would never recognize….
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 11:52 AM   #103
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall View Post
I wonder why they bother to cover up the door panels and dash board when they are the same as the 5 series already released and sold? The only interior differences between the M5 and non-M 5 series has been the gear selector, seats, M tabs on steering wheel and maybe a M5 badge on the screen. So no reason to try to hide the entire interior.
Maybe there are differences???

It might just be standard policy to cover everything up until it’s release and probably easier to have just one rubber cover for the 5 series for all models rather than a separate one for the m5

Although not for me I am very interested to see this when it’s released and what the reviews of it are like
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 02:12 PM   #104
TheMaxXHD
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 G20 LCI M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianeck View Post

I have no problems with the lever. Or the screen. You are touting subjective opinions. Not that your opinion isn’t valid, it’s a valid opinion. But it isn’t the only one. If you don’t like it, don’t buy it and stop complaining.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 03:55 AM   #105
medialook
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d G05

Garage List
2022 BMW X5 40d  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by f30jomi View Post
unsure how i feel about the panoramic interior screen. seems like they’re behind benz’ in this sense
I'm sure that I don't like this stretched cheap looking tablet 🤷‍♂️ I rushed to order pre-lci X5 to avoid it and keep physical buttons.
Appreciate 1
f30jomi16.50
      03-16-2024, 05:46 AM   #106
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3, X7, iX

Garage List
24 BMW iXM60  [10.00]
24 BMW M3  [9.77]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGT2 View Post
I don’t think EV is bad, I just wish there wasn’t this wholesale changeover by force. The market would support both for quite a while, maybe forever.
Agree - I don’t understand this awkward phase BMW is forcing. Neue Klasse is coming, but they have to make the M5 a hybrid and plan to make the M3 a hybrid in the next gen. Terrible, honestly. There are XM owners claiming all their errands are done in EV mode…. but running errands shouldn’t be boring.

Btw the Cayman/Boxster EV is even more ridiculous. Porsche has lost their mind, or perhaps it reveals the buyers are old, non-adventurers and falling demand. 250 miles of range is closer to 150 under hard driving, and on a car built for canyon drives or the track? Do they plan to install chargers on the blue ridge parkway, for example? And resale on EVs is terrible, which undercuts the value prop of buying a Porsche in the first place.
Appreciate 1
NGT25686.50
      03-16-2024, 07:48 AM   #107
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerfun82 View Post
Agree - I don’t understand this awkward phase BMW is forcing. Neue Klasse is coming, but they have to make the M5 a hybrid and plan to make the M3 a hybrid in the next gen. Terrible, honestly. There are XM owners claiming all their errands are done in EV mode…. but running errands shouldn’t be boring.
EXACTLY. I bought my M550 to have fun driving it. That statement is relative to all my driving. Not just when I’m on the highway and can go 100 mph. I like hearing the exhaust and feeling the transmission shifts even just for normal driving.

Appreciate 2
jphcbpa316.00
      03-16-2024, 08:03 AM   #108
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post
Losing the shifter on this car is a horrible mistake.
Fully agree. I love the fact I can use the shift lever in the M3T. There isn’t one in our Macan and I miss it often as I like manual shifting (the paddles aren’t always perfect).
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 08:06 AM   #109
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu Saffa View Post
As the world slowly goes to sh1t around us, I was always able to look to BMW for a pleasant distraction, for some happiness, enjoyment, and to scratch an itch by flogging my car.

Safe to say that there is hardly a car in the current lineup that evokes child like excitement from both a design and enjoyment perspective. Hell, I thought maybe I was just getting tool old for current models and did not understand the design ethos, but even my kids are shaking their heads at this nonsense.

Guess I will be holding on to my car for quite a while longer and pull the trigger on a P car when I cannot take holding out for an M car that is true to M philosophies.

Gutted.
This is my exact experience. I got a M3T and it’s really good though I just can’t love manual shifting the ZF8. End result? My wife takes over that car in a month when I take delivery of a 911 manual.
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2024, 12:14 AM   #110
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post
Losing the shifter on this car is a horrible mistake.
Welcome to the hybrid ICE/EV world. I'm out period and will only seek true ICE for one last hurrah in the automotive world but for now holding on to my M850i.
Appreciate 1
Jimjamz4596.50