09-22-2023, 04:49 PM   #1
barclay
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 540ix

Lucid Air

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Anyone here test drive a Lucid? If so, your thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 09:01 AM   #2
bmwterp
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW I5M60

Yes. Driven most of the high end electric cars (I7, Plaid, Lucid, EQS 580, Taycan).

I think all are pretty much as advertised and really all of them are great options for different reasons and different people.

I really liked the Lucid and I am considering one. For me, I am down to the Lucid and Tesla. The Tesla is probably--as range and the supercharger network is the going to be key for me.

However, the Lucid felt much more like a luxury car. The build and drive was like a German car. Porche is the best drivers car, EQS most comfortable/luxurious and the Lucid was the best of both worlds. Worth a look for sure.

I7 was great too. But, I think the range is an issue. Plus, a bit more than I want to spend. But, certainly a great car.

I am out on the I5 due to range. Otherwise, it would be the winner.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 05:39 PM   #3
Travis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i5 eDrive 40

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwterp View Post
Yes. Driven most of the high end electric cars (I7, Plaid, Lucid, EQS 580, Taycan).

I think all are pretty much as advertised and really all of them are great options for different reasons and different people.

I really liked the Lucid and I am considering one. For me, I am down to the Lucid and Tesla. The Tesla is probably—as range and the supercharger network is the going to be key for me.

However, the Lucid felt much more like a luxury car. The build and drive was like a German car. Porche is the best drivers car, EQS most comfortable/luxurious and the Lucid was the best of both worlds. Worth a look for sure.

I7 was great too. But, I think the range is an issue. Plus, a bit more than I want to spend. But, certainly a great car.

Genesis Electried G80. That may be something you can check.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2023, 09:19 AM   #4
bmwterp
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Genesis Electried G80. That may be something you can check.
Thanks. I hear good things about that too.

I think I am at the end of my process, and I am going with the Tesla. I just can't pass up the value at the new price point and the fantastic charging network.
Appreciate 1
dmode29.50
      09-24-2023, 09:51 AM   #5
paladin732
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Lucid air

I just lemoned my Lucid DE. It was one of the first 300 cars made. So I have seen their software evolve and have an idea on how fast it is moving.

- Good:
  • Engineering for the motors are second-to-none. That tech is fantastic in the car.
  • Acceleration is a ton of fun, almost as much as our Taycan Turbo, but not quite (although it does go faster)
  • Beautiful interior, and it feels premium inside
  • TON of interior space, frunk and trunk are both massive
  • Range.

- Bad:[*]The software is just janky. It constantly has really aggravating bugs (audio was really spotty and would randomly die on the last release for instance)[*] Can't multi-task in software if you are not using CarPlay (Navigation hides audio, audio hides navigation, etc, etc)[*]Navigation software, (powered by HERE), is pretty spotty. It is a bit better than the Taycan's Navigation software, however[*]Its very bare bones. You get the car, and infotainment system. That is about it. The ADAS is unreliable at the moment, no HUD, the LED colors only have 6 options, etc, etc[*]Software can be slow: changing profiles takes 30-60 seconds, the 360 camera takes 45-60 seconds to load on car startup. The regular camera also takes 45-60 seconds to load, in which they have a "redundant backup camera" that is much lower quality and will load mostly instantly[*]On the dashboard, you will always have the AIR logo on the right side, unless in Nav. It does nothing else.[*]Their range estimates are much more in line with Tesla(read: obscenely optimistic) vs BMW, Ford, or Porsche(where I routinely get more than the cars estimate). In other words, assume a 15% loss on your drive from your expected range consumption.

Why I lemoned the car:
  • The passenger seat could not detect me consistently. I was able to replicate this in various Lucid Air vehicles. So it is a design issue. I'm about 5'6" and 130ish pounds, so I'm light. I believe it had something to do with how much of my weight was hitting the seat vs deflected to my feet. Lucid absolutely refused to do anything about it, and even told me that I was "sitting wrong", when I would stretch my feet out.
  • The car spent over 100 days in service in its first year.

Would I buy a Lucid again?

If I gave them 3-5 years to clean up their act, improve their software, and fix their seat design? Likely. It really had the skeleton of a great premium car, but they are just an immature company and not where they need to be yet.
Appreciate 2
Scrapula2851.50
nathanm4684.50
      09-24-2023, 01:07 PM   #6
barclay
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 540ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by paladin732 View Post
I just lemoned my Lucid DE. It was one of the first 300 cars made. So I have seen their software evolve and have an idea on how fast it is moving.

- Good:
  • Engineering for the motors are second-to-none. That tech is fantastic in the car.
  • Acceleration is a ton of fun, almost as much as our Taycan Turbo, but not quite (although it does go faster)
  • Beautiful interior, and it feels premium inside
  • TON of interior space, frunk and trunk are both massive
  • Range.

- Bad:[*]The software is just janky. It constantly has really aggravating bugs (audio was really spotty and would randomly die on the last release for instance)[*] Can't multi-task in software if you are not using CarPlay (Navigation hides audio, audio hides navigation, etc, etc)[*]Navigation software, (powered by HERE), is pretty spotty. It is a bit better than the Taycan's Navigation software, however[*]Its very bare bones. You get the car, and infotainment system. That is about it. The ADAS is unreliable at the moment, no HUD, the LED colors only have 6 options, etc, etc[*]Software can be slow: changing profiles takes 30-60 seconds, the 360 camera takes 45-60 seconds to load on car startup. The regular camera also takes 45-60 seconds to load, in which they have a "redundant backup camera" that is much lower quality and will load mostly instantly[*]On the dashboard, you will always have the AIR logo on the right side, unless in Nav. It does nothing else.[*]Their range estimates are much more in line with Tesla(read: obscenely optimistic) vs BMW, Ford, or Porsche(where I routinely get more than the cars estimate). In other words, assume a 15% loss on your drive from your expected range consumption.

Why I lemoned the car:
  • The passenger seat could not detect me consistently. I was able to replicate this in various Lucid Air vehicles. So it is a design issue. I'm about 5'6" and 130ish pounds, so I'm light. I believe it had something to do with how much of my weight was hitting the seat vs deflected to my feet. Lucid absolutely refused to do anything about it, and even told me that I was "sitting wrong", when I would stretch my feet out.
  • The car spent over 100 days in service in its first year.

Would I buy a Lucid again?

If I gave them 3-5 years to clean up their act, improve their software, and fix their seat design? Likely. It really had the skeleton of a great premium car, but they are just an immature company and not where they need to be yet.
You should put this post up on lucidowners.com
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2023, 05:44 PM   #7
BMW012
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M550i CBM/Ivory

Garage List
it always surprises me how people buy cars from a brand that never existed.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2023, 10:47 PM   #8
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X7;X5;S-Class;Navigator

Quote:

I really liked the Lucid and I am considering one. For me, I am down to the Lucid and Tesla. The Tesla is probably--as range and the supercharger network is the going to be key for me.

Same exact findings I came up with. End the end, I just got a brand new Tesla Model S. So happy with the decision!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2023, 08:48 AM   #9
bmwterp
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW5and7 View Post
Same exact findings I came up with. End the end, I just got a brand new Tesla Model S. So happy with the decision!
Good to hear. I pick up mine on Friday.

I really believe all these cars are great. I wouldn't blame anyone for picking one over the other.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2023, 08:50 AM   #10
bmwterp
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW012 View Post
There's a famous book on this Crossing the Chasm. It talks about how some people are early adapters to technology.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2023, 09:03 AM   #11
buddenfan
Captain
Rep
Drives: i8

Test drove a Lucid in New York and its probably my favorite ev. Super luxury and it handles really well. Proces are extremely exoensive though which stopped me from getting one but now they have not so bad lease deals on em
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2023, 09:05 AM   #12
buddenfan
Captain
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
There's a famous book on this Crossing the Chasm. It talks about how some people are early adapters to technology.

Gotta start somewhere
A day not that long ago cars didnt exist but someone decided to get one instead of continuing on horseback
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2023, 01:49 PM   #13
paladin732
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Lucid air

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW012 View Post
Why not? I love playing with new toys. Brands are irrelevant to me. If someone has an offering I’m interested in, I’ll look.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2023, 02:01 PM   #14
BMW012
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M550i CBM/Ivory

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by paladin732 View Post
Why not? I love playing with new toys. Brands are irrelevant to me. If someone has an offering I’m interested in, I’ll look.
for the same reason why you had to lemon your vehicle. even first year models are known for having many bugs from brands that have been around for years. let alone dumping 100k on a car brand that hasn't existed in the past isn't ideal from me. but we can learn from the guinea pigs EVs alone haven't even been around for long either.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2023, 04:44 PM   #15
Travis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i5 eDrive 40

Garage List
I think that is why leasing is the better option than owning for EV at the moment.
The technology (to improve, or to fix things) is changing so fast.
Appreciate 1
Scrapula2851.50
      10-17-2023, 12:45 PM   #16
DaveDBD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Beware that you must learn to not hit your head on the top frame as getting in. It is unusually low. Even the test drive rep said to lookout - after I already hit it getting in.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2023, 09:02 AM   #17
S6F
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 540ixMsport

Test drive one in NJ last week. Beautiful inside and out. Good seating position and quite comfortable. Silly acceleration and quick steering. But a few negatives (other than the price): the car is not as quiet as you’d expect. Wind noise around the A pillar and mirror and tire noise. Not a deal breaker, but here are two which are: there’s too much motor whine. Was grating on my nerves after a while. And it’s not something I noticed in the other 4 EVs I’ve tested. Lastly, there was too much regen braking even in the lowest setting. Hard to get used to.
Appreciate 1
Scrapula2851.50
      10-18-2023, 01:49 PM   #18
S6F
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 540ixMsport

Oh, and one more thing. The stereo system was the best I’ve ever heard in a car, even when using SXM as its source. Made the HK sound like an AM radio.
Appreciate 2
Scrapula2851.50
      10-23-2023, 03:56 PM   #19
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Slow

Test drove a Lucid about two weeks ago. Interior space was very nice, electronics were meh, suspension tuning was some of the best I have ever driven for a daily. Range is excellent.

For some reason they are not advertising it well, but there is a good 18 month lease option which to me is very appealing. With the speed that the EV space is evolving having only an 18 month commitment might be a good move.

Regarding having to lemon cars, we have had to do this twice in the last six months. First was our EQS sedan and second was our Lyriq. In both cases they were in the shop for over 60 days with no resolution to the issues. Since MB was so good about it we took the plunge on an EQS SUV which has been perfect.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 03:39 PM   #20
G35c6MT
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i5 M60

Test drove a Lucid Air Grand Touring 819hp and the i5 M60 back to back yesterday. Both are great cars but really do serve a different purpose.

Neither one pulled me like the M550 does since I got it and every time I get back in it. I really hate the icon drawer in iDrive 8.5.

There wasnt enough to distinguish these cars or electric sedans apart for me so I’ll likely stick with the BMW lease. The difference is a few hundred a month.

The biggest difference is the interior: Lucid was more like a regular car and in a good way, but was a bit too squat for daily driving. The BMW is a light show on wheels. Hopefully I can turn down some of the extra fake excitement added to this car.
Appreciate 1
Scrapula2851.50