BMW i5 and 5-Series Forum

05-05-2024, 09:32 PM   #1
The_Digital_One
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90

Slow comfort access?

On my i5 m60, when I go to grab the door handle it takes a good second before it unlocks, resulting in me having to pull the handle a couple of times before it unlocks. Sure I get that you only need to touch it and you dont need to pull, but then I am left there fondling the door handle for a couple of seconds before the door unlocks. Sometimes it's so bad it takes a good 5 seconds before it unlocks!

I am extremely frustrated BMW made the keyfob even bigger and heavier than previous gens yet its slower!

I was excited when the pixel 8 pro finally got digital key + support as When it worked it was very fast (sub one second). However it seems ever couple of days the key will not connect and i have to use the NFC method. Or it does connect but it takes a good 10 seconds to connect and start working.

Anyways just throwing this out there as it's really starting to drive me nuts and I wanted to see if others are having this issue / are bothered by it.
Appreciate 2
SkykingUSA1449.50
Scrapula2902.50
      05-05-2024, 11:29 PM   #2
SkykingUSA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 i5 eDrive40

Garage List
I would be bothered by that too. Mine works almost opposite to yours. My car "wakes up" from about 10 feet away (meaning the lights come on), then it unlocks from about 5 feet away. It's pretty consistent.

I've even had to get into the habit of leaving my phone at one end of the kitchen counter so the car doesn't unlock every time I go to the stove in our kitchen (the kitchen and garage share a wall).

If you get the same result when using the key fob, then I would take your car to the dealer. If you don't, then it may be that your phone's signal is not strong enough or consistent enough for the car to recognize. Of course, the first thing I would suggest (if you have not done so already) is to restart your phone, and restart iDrive.
2024 i5 eDrive40 / Vegas Red / Black Veganza / Dark Oak Gloss Trim with Dark Silv Acc / Premium Package / M Sport Package / M Sport Pro Package / Driving Assistance Pro Package / Luxury Seating Package / 19" 936 M Aero Wheels NonRFT

Appreciate 2
deutsch1004048.00
Scrapula2902.50
      05-06-2024, 06:03 AM   #3
MikeElmendorf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5/2024 i5 M60

Question: Is this only happening to you at home?

I believe what is happening that when the car is repeatedly picking up the signal of the key for some period of time without actually be accessed, it stops as actively listening.

I have observed that this happens when I’m at home only. Elsewhere it wakes up on approach and unlocks as expected.

I use the digital key on my phone and Apple Watch, but I presume the principle is the same.
Appreciate 5
digriz153.00
deutsch1004048.00
SkykingUSA1449.50
Scrapula2902.50
LVBMW1561.00
      05-06-2024, 07:56 AM   #4
digriz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: i5 M60 Carbon Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeElmendorf View Post

I believe what is happening that when the car is repeatedly picking up the signal of the key for some period of time without actually be accessed, it stops as actively listening.

I have observed that this happens when I’m at home only. Elsewhere it wakes up on approach and unlocks as expected.

I use the digital key on my phone and Apple Watch, but I presume the principle is the same.
I noticed the same behaviour - which I like, because I access my garage often, and the car keeps locking and unlocking unnecessarily.

In fact, I was hoping that there would be an option to disable comfort access in certain locations (geofencing) but so far it looks like geofencing only works for a limited set of features.

Here's hoping it will be considered as an update...
Appreciate 2
SkykingUSA1449.50
Scrapula2902.50
      05-06-2024, 08:37 AM   #5
RichardInCA
Captain
Rep
Drives: 24 BMW i5 M60

Agree with others - at least using my phone (I haven’t taken the key out of the drawer for months). The car is very sensitive annd locks/unlocks a couple of times until it concludes that you aren’t going to open the door and it goes to sleep.
Appreciate 4
deutsch1004048.00
SkykingUSA1449.50
Scrapula2902.50
LVBMW1561.00
      05-06-2024, 06:48 PM   #6
The_Digital_One
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90

Ah ok, sounds like iPhone works better then... Anyone have good success with the Pixel 8 Pro? I know it notoriously has BT issues, so that's probably causing the digital key plus issues.

As for the slow key fob sounds like most of you don't run into this issue as you have the unlock on proxy turned on? I did not do that as every time i entered the garage the car would unlock and start warming up... maybe once we get the geofence option to disable auto lock at home this will no longer be an issue.

Oh and yes I have reset the phone and the idrive on multiple occasions. I can't seem to find a rhyme or reason as to when it wants to work and when it doesn't, seems pretty random.
Appreciate 2
SkykingUSA1449.50
Scrapula2902.50
      05-07-2024, 12:49 AM   #7
pantheon
Rep
Drives: BMW G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeElmendorf View Post

As far as I know, all the new keys stop transmitting the signal when they are stationary. This prevents someone with a signal amplifier from stealing your car.
Appreciate 2
SkykingUSA1449.50
Scrapula2902.50