BMW i5 and 5-Series Forum

03-09-2024, 05:07 PM   #1
MaVaGe
Rep
Drives: BMW i5 E40

i5 - Car alignment & IAS - issue

Hello,

I have my i5-40 for 3 months now and have issues with steering. The dealer did some tests, tried to update all drivers etc, but the problem is not fixed.

I had a demo i5 during these test and that car drivers flawlessly: without driving assistent the car can be driven with 1 or 2 fingers, until 120 km/h. Very easy without much attention as a driver.

But my i5-40 is still a problem, at low speeds (till 60 km/h) the car is OK, but on higher speeds (or decelarating) the stear gets stiffer and harder to move.
At 120 km/h (max speed on highway in Belgium), the steering is very stiff, hard to turn. The car also deviates a bit to the left or the right. When I use a bit of force to turn the steering wheel and correct to the left, the car just keeps turning to the left.

This is very annoying.

When I activate 'driving assistence', the car runs straight ahead, keeps the lane and the steering feels much lighter. Okay, when I go left of right (changing lane), I have to use a little bit of force to overcome the 'lane' keeping software, but this is normal.

I have IAS with steering rear wheels.

Does any one have of had the same problem ? The dealer cannot do anything without getting the approval of BMW, but it makes me uncomfortable.
I cannot hand his car over to a another one ... as most drivers are not used to 'driving assistence' and driving manual, is a tuff job.

Tnx.
Appreciate 3
SkykingUSA1442.00
Scrapula2880.00
LVBMW1541.50
      03-10-2024, 04:09 PM   #2
leasehackr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5, 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaVaGe View Post
Hello,

I have my i5-40 for 3 months now and have issues with steering. The dealer did some tests, tried to update all drivers etc, but the problem is not fixed.

I had a demo i5 during these test and that car drivers flawlessly: without driving assistent the car can be driven with 1 or 2 fingers, until 120 km/h. Very easy without much attention as a driver.

But my i5-40 is still a problem, at low speeds (till 60 km/h) the car is OK, but on higher speeds (or decelarating) the stear gets stiffer and harder to move.
At 120 km/h (max speed on highway in Belgium), the steering is very stiff, hard to turn. The car also deviates a bit to the left or the right. When I use a bit of force to turn the steering wheel and correct to the left, the car just keeps turning to the left.

This is very annoying.

When I activate 'driving assistence', the car runs straight ahead, keeps the lane and the steering feels much lighter. Okay, when I go left of right (changing lane), I have to use a little bit of force to overcome the 'lane' keeping software, but this is normal.

I have IAS with steering rear wheels.

Does any one have of had the same problem ? The dealer cannot do anything without getting the approval of BMW, but it makes me uncomfortable.
I cannot hand his car over to a another one ... as most drivers are not used to 'driving assistence' and driving manual, is a tuff job.

Tnx.
It needs an alignment. If you are under 2000 Miles then factory warranty covers it. Just tell them car drifting to the left.
Appreciate 1
SkykingUSA1442.00
      04-07-2024, 02:09 PM   #3
MaVaGe
Rep

Same as thread : https://g60.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2091836

I see that others have the same problem:
https://g60.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2091836
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2024, 10:51 AM   #4
Mac545
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw i5 M60

Yup. Sounds exactly what I started my thread over “power steering atrocious”……

I’m glad in one way I wasn’t imagining it, but obvs not lots more people experiencing it too.
Appreciate 2
LVBMW1541.50
SkykingUSA1442.00
      04-08-2024, 11:54 AM   #5
MaVaGe
Rep

What type do you have ? M60 ? Or M-sport package and stearing back wheels ?
Appreciate 1
SkykingUSA1442.00