Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3WC View Post
Third brand this week to announce EV production cuts due to waning demand.
Maybe, Hard to stop a charging elephant.

Volkwagen ramps EV production back up in Germany after demand lull
Regional German newspaper Sächsische Zeitung reported on Monday, however, that production had resumed at normal levels.

Volkswagen is still concerned about demand, and Sächsische Zeitung reported that the company has warned that 2,200 jobs could be cut at Zwickau if demand does not pick up.

The news comes a fortnight after it was similarly reported that Volkswagen had scrapped plans for an additional EV factory in Wolfsburg, a decision it blamed on weak demand.

https://thedriven.io/2023/10/20/volk...r-demand-lull/

When simple forces like supply and demand have been circumvented by government largess and cafe standards along with ESG financing and carbon emissions regulatory credits one can expect a lot of bad mistakes on the part of manufactures. The news any auto manufacturer dreads is that there is a 100 day supply on dealers lots.

As carbon emissions regulatory credits dry up the future of EV production will change from inevitable to realities of capitalism.

Last edited by Car-Addicted; 10-20-2023 at 08:00 AM..
Appreciate 1
M5Rick61216.50
      10-20-2023, 05:52 AM   #4578
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
What would kill me is boredom. Waiting 35 minutes to add just 65% of range is idiotic. By the time he has elections flowing, I'd have recharged my ICEV and been on my way.

In the NBC piece, it said 53% of Americanos accept waiting an hour to recharge. Eff that. Those must be the folks stuck with their EV and voted for Walter. Sorry, I'm gas 'n go. Call me when it's equivalent. Lol.
I'm calling BS to the waiting an hour to charge. I won't go into a gas station now if there's a line up at the pumps. I can't imagine having to take an hour to charge, and if there were a few other cars ahead of me to charge I'd be taking hostages.
Appreciate 3
M5Rick61216.50
Efthreeoh17401.00
      10-20-2023, 07:53 AM   #4579
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

^
Easy fix. Go late night to early morning. That's when the bestasus people are out too.
Y'all could all have tea and scrumpets while you charge.
      10-20-2023, 08:07 AM   #4580
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Quote:
In the NBC piece, it said 53% of Americanos accept waiting an hour to recharge.
I'm thinking that 53% is either not employed, have kids or any other responsibilities. The 70% I know are the ones that either Honk their horn or pull out of line when the line at Micky D's takes longer that 5 minutes to get a big Mac.
Appreciate 2
Efthreeoh17401.00
      10-20-2023, 10:03 AM   #4581
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post
I'm thinking that 53% is either not employed, have kids or any other responsibilities. The 70% I know are the ones that either Honk their horn or pull out of line when the line at Micky D's takes longer that 5 minutes to get a big Mac.
The best part of 30 years of shift work was that I never stood in line for anything. I did all my chores in off hours. I simply can't stand lining up.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17401.00
      10-20-2023, 10:08 AM   #4582
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
I simply can't stand lining up.
Standing in lines has often turned out badly for folks.
Appreciate 2
Efthreeoh17401.00
      10-20-2023, 10:36 AM   #4583
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
The best part of 30 years of shift work was that I never stood in line for anything. I did all my chores in off hours. I simply can't stand lining up.

The French are the same.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2023, 02:50 PM   #4584
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
I'm calling BS to the waiting an hour to charge. I won't go into a gas station now if there's a line up at the pumps. I can't imagine having to take an hour to charge, and if there were a few other cars ahead of me to charge I'd be taking hostages.
On the EV forums the BIG issue is the EV owners who do not understand the maximum charge capacity of their EV is just 150KW and they use the 350KW charger. Oh man, is that some serious breach of charging etiquette.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 3
M5Rick61216.50
      10-20-2023, 06:09 PM   #4585
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Or it’s entirely made up. Most people can’t be bothered to cook (or wait) much less drive to their food (delivery) you want me to believe they would be ok with waiting for their car to drive?

Nah.

Edit:

This is obviously for people who are interested in BEVs which is less than a quarter of the population. Poll is a lie.
Appreciate 3
Efthreeoh17401.00
      10-20-2023, 06:17 PM   #4586
secretsquirrel
Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

I went from a F80 to a Model 3 performance. This car is no frills, but it's quick, handles decently, and super reliable. I like waking up each morning with a full "tank of gas". Charging stations waits don't mean anything to me as I only use them when going on a long trip (maybe 3-4 times/year)

I've been thinking of getting a G80. I miss the rumble of downpiped turbo BMW, but I think i'm going to wait and see how the economy reacts. I will have a hard time going back to gas stations and pumping gas, particularly in the winter.
Appreciate 3
gblansten1997.50
BGM-M3COMP2329.50
Canuck335151.00
      10-21-2023, 05:50 AM   #4587
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Standing in lines has often turned out badly for folks.
Have it over here in Blighty, standing in EV charge line there's always a smart az that pushes in and before you know it there a punch and judy show.. welcome to EV charging.

Last edited by M5Rick; 10-21-2023 at 06:06 AM..
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17401.00
      10-21-2023, 08:21 AM   #4588
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by secretsquirrel View Post
I went from a F80 to a Model 3 performance. This car is no frills, but it's quick, handles decently, and super reliable. I like waking up each morning with a full "tank of gas". Charging stations waits don't mean anything to me as I only use them when going on a long trip (maybe 3-4 times/year)

I've been thinking of getting a G80. I miss the rumble of downpiped turbo BMW, but I think i'm going to wait and see how the economy reacts. I will have a hard time going back to gas stations and pumping gas, particularly in the winter.

Charging stations are for people who travel.

A person who buys an ev but can’t charge at home then complains about it is not the fault of the car, but the fault of the buyer.

I wake up with a full charge everyday and I have level 1 at home.

People think you can just dump an assload of energy into a battery so it can be charged in 3 minutes is laughable.

Let me know if you can fully charge your phone from 10-100% in 5 minutes. And that’s a tiny ass battery.

Some people will never understand this. But they will soon when govt forces it on us lmaooooo
      10-21-2023, 08:37 AM   #4589
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
Charging stations are for people who travel.

A person who buys an ev but can’t charge at home then complains about it is not the fault of the car, but the fault of the buyer.

I wake up with a full charge everyday and I have level 1 at home.

People think you can just dump an assload of energy into a battery so it can be charged in 3 minutes is laughable.

Let me know if you can fully charge your phone from 10-100% in 5 minutes. And that’s a tiny ass battery.

Some people will never understand this. But they will soon when govt forces it on us lmaooooo
Nope, public chargers are for people who travel (more than 250 miles) AND for people who don't have access to private overnight charging, which is the majority of people in the US.

The difference with a phone is you can still use the phone when it is plugged in and charging; it's not a transportation device.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 3
M5Rick61216.50
      10-21-2023, 08:47 AM   #4590
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Nope, public chargers are for people who travel (more than 250 miles) AND for people who don't have access to private overnight charging, which is the majority of people in the US.

The difference with a phone is you can still use the phone when it is plugged in and charging; it's not a transportation device.
Charging stations are for people who want a charge period.

Their intention was to give people that, “on the move (lmao)”, feeling similar to what a gas station gives you. You can’t fill your car with gas at home.

If you don’t have private charging and you buy an ev, then complain about charging isn’t the fault of the car. It just means YOU weren’t ready to get an ev.

People who have level 1 at home do just fine.
      10-21-2023, 09:20 AM   #4591
G MONEY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretsquirrel View Post

Never thought I would see a sentence where it says rumble of a DP turbo 6 cylinder BMW. Lol. More like a chainsaw on steroids? Maybe it’s my ears
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2023, 09:21 AM   #4592
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Quote:
The fact that you find pleasure in a fascist government forcing people to adopt a technology they don't want for a cause they don't believe in doesn't speak well for you. Maybe China would be more to your liking?
Appreciate 7
Efthreeoh17401.00
M5Rick61216.50
kyriian889.00
KRS_SN13692.00
lakefront560.50
MmmmmM22598.00
      10-21-2023, 09:35 AM   #4593
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Charging stations are for people who want a charge period.

Their intention was to give people that, “on the move (lmao)”, feeling similar to what a gas station gives you. You can’t fill your car with gas at home.

If you don’t have private charging and you buy an ev, then complain about charging isn’t the fault of the car. It just means YOU weren’t ready to get an ev.

People who have level 1 at home do just fine.
Well, depending on state codes, a person CAN refuel his petrol car at home. Here is some info for Virginia:

"Purchasing a 275-gallon gasoline tank can set you back quite a bit, costing you anywhere from 800-1,400 dollars. Alternatively, there are options for renting that require a small fee only once a quarter. Other than the large upfront cast, there is one significant difference between renting and purchasing your tank. When you are buying a tank, that tank is yours and therefore, maintenance, compliance and upkeep are on you. When you rent a tank from a professional that prioritizes safety, like Foster Fuels, they are liable for any compliance issues that may occur. Renting your tank could alleviate liability and give you one less stress point."

"Dispensing the gasoline from tank to tank requires a fuel transfer pump. Pumps can range in price from 100-800 dollars. Foster Fuels offers the safest options to ensure a secure transfer. Talk to one of our experts when considering which pump is best for you."

$2,400 for a residential gasoline fuel tank in Virginia. About the same price to install a L2 charger at some homes. On my property I could easily add a gasoline storage tank for private refueling.

Just for discussion purposes...
Appreciate 5
M5Rick61216.50
kyriian889.00
KRS_SN13692.00
      10-21-2023, 09:55 AM   #4594
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Let me know how that works out for you installing a gas filling station at home

You know, for discussion purposes

Fact is, charging stations are for people who travel FIRST, local charging because you don’t have access at home, secondary.

The best part of ev is you never even have to go to a charging station unless you’re traveling. And again if you don’t have access at home and you bought an ev, don’t complain about the charging situation. It was your fault you didn’t think it through.

I have level 1 at home with like 6 stations within a 2 mile radius. 8-12 stalls per station. And my app tells me how many are being used in real time so I can make the judgment on where I wanna go.

But I don’t need to, because I charge every night and wake up to 300miles or range, every morning.
      10-21-2023, 09:59 AM   #4595
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The fact that you find pleasure in a fascist government forcing people to adopt a technology they don't want for a cause they don't believe in doesn't speak well for you. Maybe China would be more to your liking?
I just find it entertaining how mad people like you get about it lol

I actual don’t care what happens post 2030 but we already know what will happen
      10-21-2023, 10:13 AM   #4596
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Quote:
I actual don’t care what happens post 2030 but we already know what will happen
Yes you will own a bunch of Tesla's with spent batteries and no resale value. I'll wave as I drive past you in my environmentally efficient ICS vehicle.

ICE ICE BABY
Appreciate 2
M5Rick61216.50
      10-21-2023, 10:26 AM   #4597
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
They’ll still be a used ice market post 2035 so yeah I’m sure you’ll be driving an ice. Idk about passing me though ev’s are already fast as it is and will only improve in the future.

I heard Tesla is releasing the model 3 ludicrous (not the name plaid since that’s reserved for the model s and x).

Imagine a model 3 running 10s beating any of your ice cars lol. That’s probably a sucky feeling.
      10-21-2023, 10:30 AM   #4598
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Let me know how that works out for you installing a gas filling station at home

You know, for discussion purposes

Fact is, charging stations are for people who travel FIRST, local charging because you don’t have access at home, secondary.

The best part of ev is you never even have to go to a charging station unless you’re traveling. And again if you don’t have access at home and you bought an ev, don’t complain about the charging situation. It was your fault you didn’t think it through.

I have level 1 at home with like 6 stations within a 2 mile radius. 8-12 stalls per station. And my app tells me how many are being used in real time so I can make the judgment on where I wanna go.

But I don’t need to, because I charge every night and wake up to 300miles or range, every morning.
But that's the point, I don't need to install a gasoline fuel station at home because ICEV consistently fully recharge in 5 minutes w/ 400-miles of range. With EV you HAVE to charge at home (if you can) because otherwise it takes hours to fully recharge (while you sit on your ass doing nothing) and it reduces the lifespan of the battery using DCFC (or supercharging) to boot. Even if it is secondary (though for a majority of home dwellers it is primary) it still sucks and adds multiple hours and anxiety to a road trip (yeah, we know you fly...). And if you get caught public charging PAST 80%, OMG that is COMPLETELY beyond charging etiquette! Oh, and using a 350KW charger when your EV only takes max 150KW, that's a BIG no-no too.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 10-21-2023 at 10:37 AM..
Appreciate 1