BMW i5 and 5-Series Forum

05-07-2024, 12:29 PM   #89
FrozenGT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40i - Lexus NX300 F

These are in between cars and guys Bmw is holding back for the next generation stuff. You don’t have to buy this crap it’s over priced, under thoughtful ..designed flawed

They’re just throwing a Bmw badge on it. This is all beta tech
Guys!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2024, 12:37 PM   #90
Evinrude1975
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 CS '24

Quote:
Originally Posted by windtendo View Post
Curb weights:

F90 - 4,345 lbs
G90 - 5,368 lbs

My head exploded when I did the comparison... Wow.
Indeed the design is not the main problem
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2024, 01:07 PM   #91
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igs View Post
Ha! the sarcasm went right over my head.
Same same here, I hated on the G80 so bad when it came out. Now its in my garage. Such a great car (no sarcasm)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wtfitzvi View Post
I was the biggest G80 hater when it was announced. I was advocating for everyone I know to not get one.

Im eating those words now
But did either of you get banned from the G8X boards...
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2024, 01:41 PM   #92
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwdrive View Post
It's big. It's heavy. But it's also going to be scary FAAAAAAST.
Yep, and it looks the part too. G60 in the right trim is a mean looking car.
Appreciate 1
bmwdrive464.00
      05-07-2024, 03:45 PM   #93
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i xDrive (2020)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Angel View Post
This is a carryover from the thicker floor required in the i5 to contain the battery in the floor. Agreed, an ugly design element.

The i5 is also responsible for the hood that goes straight back from the grille with no curvature, trying to hide the elevated belt line also the result of lifting the cabin for the battery. The whole car looks like a series of compromises.

The 5 was getting better looking with age right up to the G30/90 (ok, the E was an anomaly), but now seems to have taken several leaps backwards. Shame.
They compromised the entire line for the i5. Big mistake, I think.

RETIRED: 2018 540i Luxury Line (Dark Graphite/Canberra Beige)
Appreciate 3
      05-07-2024, 03:54 PM   #94
Habs
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F80 M3 ZCP, Mexico Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wtfitzvi View Post
I dont think you sense my sarcasm....I hated the pig nose on the G80 when it was unveiled. Now I have one in my garage

Like any new design it will take time.

Waiting for the wagon announcement. So far im liking that more than the sedan. Not sure which M5 model im ordering yet
Haha me too. Although I’m about to swap the grill and will look nothing like a pig snout from angry bird, we typically get use to new designs as time passes.

I don’t think the G90 will be that controversial in term of design but the electric bit along with the weight just doesn’t fit with what M division enthusiasts want. They better attract a new pool of buyers or this will be a flop commercially.
      05-07-2024, 04:37 PM   #95
Blue Angel
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 323i and 2016 535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by windtendo View Post
Curb weights:

F90 - 4,345 lbs
G90 - 5,368 lbs

My head exploded when I did the comparison... Wow.
24% heavier. That’s incredible. That’s like installing 2 additional V8 engines. If it weighed 5368 lbs and had 1800 hp (600 hp x 3), then we’d be talking!
Appreciate 2
      05-07-2024, 05:19 PM   #96
The-Traveler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & G30 530e

Oh wow, it has doors!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2024, 06:35 PM   #97
F82SO2
Private
Rep
Drives:

Looks are subjective but BMW M division has lost its identity. Let's put body kits or M performance parts to make it appear cooler though 🙄
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 05:15 AM   #98
Schn3ll
Captain
Rep
Drives: '24 Carrera T

Garage List
2009 135  [0.00]
If you told me back when I owned an e46 M3 and F150 that eventually the M5 would weigh as much as the top of the line Ford F150 (Raptor) I would have called you crazy, yet here we are.
Appreciate 2
Blue Angel1042.50
      05-08-2024, 06:19 AM   #99
Autoaddict
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi Sportwagon, G80

I think it looks good in these pictures. Even the current M3 looked odd in camo but once revealed it looked really good. Even now, when I look in the garage, it looks like a race car. I think this thing will be really aggressive when revealed. I already like the front.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 09:21 AM   #100
Savoy2001
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC, 19 330I, 19 z06 vert

The thing to take away from this is they should not be putting heavy ass batteries in a performance first car. If you want to add the battery crap to the regular line up sure go ahead make them heavy tanks. The performance high end though? How does making this thing heavy AF add up to very good track weapon? When in the history of motorsport did more weight ever equal to more better? So you added power to accommodate for the weight just barely imo. You could have added power and kept the weight in check any number of ways but yet you decided to add batty packs to do it? making the car burn through brakes and tires like an animal? This is a good thing? I would love to hear the official word from BMW M division on as to why this makes ANY kind of good sense for their flagship M car.
Appreciate 1
Blue Angel1042.50
      05-08-2024, 09:59 AM   #101
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoy2001 View Post
The thing to take away from this is they should not be putting heavy ass batteries in a performance first car. If you want to add the battery crap to the regular line up sure go ahead make them heavy tanks. The performance high end though? How does making this thing heavy AF add up to very good track weapon? When in the history of motorsport did more weight ever equal to more better? So you added power to accommodate for the weight just barely imo. You could have added power and kept the weight in check any number of ways but yet you decided to add batty packs to do it? making the car burn through brakes and tires like an animal? This is a good thing? I would love to hear the official word from BMW M division on as to why this makes ANY kind of good sense for their flagship M car.
I think they were feeling intense pressure from the German government to be green. I don’t think they were ready to do a pure EV as an M car, so we wind up with this monstrosity designed by a committee. We all know that cars have been getting a little heavier over time, but an extra thousand pounds at once is un freaking believable.
Appreciate 1
manuelf353.50
      05-08-2024, 11:54 AM   #102
Savoy2001
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC, 19 330I, 19 z06 vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
I think they were feeling intense pressure from the German government to be green. I don’t think they were ready to do a pure EV as an M car, so we wind up with this monstrosity designed by a committee. We all know that cars have been getting a little heavier over time, but an extra thousand pounds at once is un freaking believable.
The governments need to leave performance cars alone. There's plenty of day to day vacuum cleaner appliance cars to mess with. Regardless the answer for enthusiasts like us is not batteries. We don't want all EV and we dont want a heavy ass pig of a hybrid either. Not for a performance car. They could have gone the way GM did with the eray and only added a couple hundred pounds and still have the added performance. I don't see how this helps be more green anyway. Adding the heavy batteries and then having the ice engine there makes little sense. Why so they can say well you can drive ev only for a decent range if need be? Ya great but the whole car suffers for that stupid benefit. Again this is supposed to be a performance car first.

Oh and forgot to add. Why in hell did they de tune the 4.4l tt v8 they have in all the other M cars? My f95 and the current f90 make 618hp yet this one only 577? Why? I would love to hear their reason.

Last edited by Savoy2001; 05-08-2024 at 12:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 12:08 PM   #103
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
The governments need to leave performance cars alone. There's plenty of day to day vacuum cleaner appliance cars to mess with. Regardless the answer for enthusiasts like us is not batteries. We don't want all EV and we dont want a heavy ass pig of a hybrid either. Not for a performance car. They could have gone the way GM did with the eray and only added a couple hundred pounds and still have the added performance. I don't see how this helps be more green anyway. Adding the heavy batteries and then having the ice engine there makes little sense. Why so they can say well you can drive ev only for a decent range if need be? Ya great but the whole car suffers for that stupid benefit. Again this is supposed to be a performance car first.

Oh and forgot to add. Why in hell did they de tune the 4.4l tt v8 they have in all the other M cars? My f95 and the current f90 make 618hp yet this one only 577? Why? I would love to hear their reason.
Lower emissions is my guess. Former 2014 M5 and 2020 M5 driver btw.

Last edited by gblansten; 05-08-2024 at 01:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 01:52 PM   #104
subterFUSE
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Audi R8, 2023 Audi S8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
I think they were feeling intense pressure from the German government to be green. I don’t think they were ready to do a pure EV as an M car, so we wind up with this monstrosity designed by a committee. .

I agree this is the crux of the matter. These cars companies have all been placed on an unrealistic timeline for the retirement of ICE engines. California wants 0% ICE sales in their state by 2030. Good luck with that goal.

And these forced EV timelines have resulted in half-baked products coming to market that subsequently fall short of customer expectations and harm the reputation for EV cars in general. So the governments are actually shooting themselves in the foot because, at least in part, it's their rushed timelines that are effectively responsible for turning public opinion against the technology which then slows adoption. But, it's government so none of us should be surprised.
Appreciate 4
gblansten2100.00
Blue Angel1042.50
NGT25748.00
manuelf353.50
      05-08-2024, 04:08 PM   #105
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3, X7, iX

Garage List
24 BMW iXM60  [10.00]
24 BMW M3  [9.77]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
I hear you and feel the angst. But it’s not a performance-first car and never has been. We had the E39 6MT M5. Great car. But a family hauler that doubled as a phenomenal sports sedan. Does anyone really take their F90 to a track? Maybe the CS. Maybe once in a while for fun. But why not take your dedicated sports car or track car to the track instead?

Weight is added for efficiency and regulations. Doesn’t make it right. But I don’t think M has the track in mind on this car. They do ///marketing at the track, but that’s more for testing the car at its thermal and physics limits.
Appreciate 2
Blue Angel1042.50
Chas8283354.50
      05-08-2024, 07:10 PM   #106
CarlosM4
Lieutenant
Brazil
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

People who are saying the G90 reveal, will be like the G80 reveal.

I highly doubt it. The G80 when it came out, was criticized for its looks and increased weight (dropping M-DCT) and so on, but the truth is, the market changed rapidly, to the point that if you want a mid-sized performance car, you have to buy a G80. There is no other car. The RS5 is pretty much gone. The new C63 is a turd. Lastly, its on a ICE platform (not plugin crap or whatever).

The G90 M5, on the other hand is not a full ICE platform. It will go into competition against fully baked EV cars that are performance-ready (Taycan Turbo GT, Plaid, Lucid Air Sapphire), weighing more and offering less performance?

Than to make matters worse, even if you look from Plug-in Hybrid perspective with a V8, there is a Panamera Turbo S E-Hybrid that is for sure a better driving vehicle, there is the S63 AMG, even the E53 AMG (glad AMG was not stupid to ruin the 63 name for the E).

And the last ICE platform for this segment, will be the Audi RS6, RS7. Who knew, that an Audi would be the enthusiast pick out of a segment? LOL

BMW should have learned from the E-Performance AMG fail and E-Hybrid fail of Porsche, that this was the path to doom, not success. The company is f....

I understand that regulations are requiring cars to change rapidly, but BMW should have known by now that a half-baked products such as this, with an outdated battery system, heavy af and inefficient - in one of its flagships, was bound to go wrong.
Appreciate 4
gblansten2100.00
asif16398.50
BimmerFix1435.50
Blue Angel1042.50
      05-08-2024, 07:15 PM   #107
CarlosM4
Lieutenant
Brazil
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterFUSE View Post
I agree this is the crux of the matter. These cars companies have all been placed on an unrealistic timeline for the retirement of ICE engines. California wants 0% ICE sales in their state by 2030. Good luck with that goal.

And these forced EV timelines have resulted in half-baked products coming to market that subsequently fall short of customer expectations and harm the reputation for EV cars in general. So the governments are actually shooting themselves in the foot because, at least in part, it's their rushed timelines that are effectively responsible for turning public opinion against the technology which then slows adoption. But, it's government so none of us should be surprised.
Government is dumb. But the manufacturers should have known better. Provide us with an ICE and a PHEV and a EV option. Since BMW has gone for this idea, why not go full out with it?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 07:55 PM   #108
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosM4 View Post
People who are saying the G90 reveal, will be like the G80 reveal.

I highly doubt it. The G80 when it came out, was criticized for its looks and increased weight (dropping M-DCT) and so on, but the truth is, the market changed rapidly, to the point that if you want a mid-sized performance car, you have to buy a G80. There is no other car. The RS5 is pretty much gone. The new C63 is a turd. Lastly, its on a ICE platform (not plugin crap or whatever).

The G90 M5, on the other hand is not a full ICE platform. It will go into competition against fully baked EV cars that are performance-ready (Taycan Turbo GT, Plaid, Lucid Air Sapphire), weighing more and offering less performance?

Than to make matters worse, even if you look from Plug-in Hybrid perspective with a V8, there is a Panamera Turbo S E-Hybrid that is for sure a better driving vehicle, there is the S63 AMG, even the E53 AMG (glad AMG was not stupid to ruin the 63 name for the E).

And the last ICE platform for this segment, will be the Audi RS6, RS7. Who knew, that an Audi would be the enthusiast pick out of a segment? LOL

BMW should have learned from the E-Performance AMG fail and E-Hybrid fail of Porsche, that this was the path to doom, not success. The company is f....

I understand that regulations are requiring cars to change rapidly, but BMW should have known by now that a half-baked products such as this, with an outdated battery system, heavy af and inefficient - in one of its flagships, was bound to go wrong.
You are spot on. Well said.
Appreciate 1
CarlosM4456.00
      05-08-2024, 10:57 PM   #109
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i xDrive (2020)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by subterFUSE View Post

Couldn’t have said it better. 100% all of this.

RETIRED: 2018 540i Luxury Line (Dark Graphite/Canberra Beige)
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 03:27 AM   #110
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

It will be interesting to say the least what happens in this market as we move towards 2030 where the targets for percentage of cars that have to be ev are close to or at 100%

Car companies have to keep lowering their co2 totals and presumably the m5 has a battery in it to reduce that in the tests even though this will be a relatively low number of cars sold in the grand scheme of things

I raging await the reviews of this car , can’t be far away now
Appreciate 0