04-05-2024, 11:20 PM   #1
alewifebp
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i

Garage List
2024 i5 M60  [0.00]
NY Auto Show Observations

I've been going to the NY auto show for 25+ years. Even though BMW and a lot of other manufacturers no longer exhibit anymore, it's still something i like to go to and see what's on offer. Something that I was giving a lot of attention to was material and build quality on other cars, whether or not they were in the same price range.

Lucid Air. Good looking car, and has nice packaging being a dedicated EV platform. Found it to be very cramped even with the massive sunroof. Build quality was very much sub par though. While materials seemed to be decent, it was creaking just opening and closing the doors.

Various Lexus vehicles. Pretty cheap feeling throughout, with doors that felt very tinny and didn't close with the nice thud of the G60. No contest here.

Genesis. The only one that got close. The materials are all pretty nice. They had some glass like controls that felt similar and had a nice look. They have really improved over the years. Not sure how they drive, and I know they have some reliability problems.

American cars like Chevy Tahoe had some pretty decent materials. As does the Jeep Grand Wagoneer.

Porsche had the new Macan on display, but they have always kept them locked up over the years, and this was no exception.
Appreciate 6
LVBMW1349.00
SkykingUSA1310.50
Scrapula2754.00
Mac545418.00
Caveno157.00
deutsch1003952.50
      04-07-2024, 02:42 PM   #2
COBodom
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 540i

Same here, I have been going to these car shows for decades. It's a pity many manufacturers are scaling back or disappearing completely. It's also a sign of times. Marketing on electronic platforms is much more cost effective and likely delivers comparable ROI.

I too pay very close attention to quality of materials used in the cars. One thing that strikes me immediately is that non-luxury brands now offer very similar level of material quality to BMW's.

G60 is obviously my most recent luxury point of reference. Even now, 3k miles later I cringe when I look at or touch some of the surfaces in my car.

Conversely, the car puts a big smile on my face each time I get to experience it's handling and driving dynamics.
Appreciate 3
Scrapula2754.00
SkykingUSA1310.50
alewifebp474.50
      04-11-2024, 03:14 PM   #3
Travis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i5 eDrive 40

Garage List
Actually the Macan EV is unlocked and I sat inside for about 5 min.

My immediate thought is the interior quality is not as high as I would have expected. Definitely not on the same level of G60. Yet the price would be more expensive with only the size of an X3 (or smaller).

Basically I am not very impressed but maybe the driving experience would change my mind. I do not need charging regularly so the fast charge platform does not mean much to my need.

To add, the new Polestar 4 is cool, unique, and affordable. I would go with Polestar 4 over Macan EV if I were in the market. But I like my i5 very much and only an i5 M60 Touring could replace it.
Appreciate 2
SkykingUSA1310.50
Scrapula2754.00