BMW i5 and 5-Series Forum

04-01-2024, 11:21 AM   #23
Martin751
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e G60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly Trumpeter View Post
I always leave my lane assistance on, it is excellent for keeping your road position on boring motorway / highway drives when you may 'drift'. But I do feel a little resistance if I cut the line a bit and way more noticeable, obviously, if I forget to signal that I am actually changing lane.

I think the steering and handling are brilliant, much better and lighter than I expected in such a heavy car to be honest.
We do not say about normal situation. Appreciate your info, but...
Our car is driving as drunk from one lane to another. Left to right, never straight on.
I got 2mln km experience, and several premium cars behind (changed to 530e right from MB e 220d, 2 years old now). I really know how car should drive and how steering wheel should work.
That is just technical issue, nothing to consider as" turn on keep lane assistance" etc.
Btw, when you torn on drive assistant it also goes from left to right makes me feel sick.
Appreciate 3
      04-03-2024, 09:55 AM   #24
Mac545
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw i5 M60

Quote:
I always leave my lane assistance on, it is excellent for keeping your road position on boring motorway / highway drives when you may 'drift'. But I do feel a little resistance if I cut the line a bit and way more noticeable, obviously, if I forget to signal that I am actually changing lane.

I think the steering and handling are brilliant, much better and lighter than I expected in such a heavy car to be honest.
Sorry if you missed my previous posts, but this is NOT a driver assistance issue.
It is steering/power assistance issue.

When steering is operating normally, it’s good.

But I’ve done drives commuting back and forth to work (40miles, mixture of roads) and there’s no consistency to when steering wheel gets “stuck” when not moved- whether that be dead centre or off centre eg. on sweeping curve.
Appreciate 3
      04-03-2024, 11:42 AM   #25
Dragonfly Trumpeter
Rep
Drives: Phytonic blue 550e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac545 View Post
Sorry if you missed my previous posts, but this is NOT a driver assistance issue.
It is steering/power assistance issue.

When steering is operating normally, it’s good.

But I’ve done drives commuting back and forth to work (40miles, mixture of roads) and there’s no consistency to when steering wheel gets “stuck” when not moved- whether that be dead centre or off centre eg. on sweeping curve.
I understand it is not a driver assistance issue, I should not have commented or tried to compare to normal resisitance, sorry. To be honest, I would prefer if I had never encountered driver assistance / plus at all. A car is for driving and enjoying. I switched it all off of on my G20, have what comes standard now and only use the lane assist but just for longer motorway drives. At least the speed limit warning is no hassle, just a 2 second press of a button on the wheel each trip.

Good luck getting it fixed, this should be a priority for your dealer
Appreciate 1
SkykingUSA1310.50
      04-03-2024, 01:40 PM   #26
Mac545
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I understand it is not a driver assistance issue, I should not have commented or tried to compare to normal resisitance, sorry. To be honest, I would prefer if I had never encountered driver assistance / plus at all. A car is for driving and enjoying. I switched it all off of on my G20, have what comes standard now and only use the lane assist but just for longer motorway drives. At least the speed limit warning is no hassle, just a 2 second press of a button on the wheel each trip.

Good luck getting it fixed, this should be a priority for your dealer
Hey man….its all cool. I hope I get it fixed too

All commenting is good, you never know what could help!
Appreciate 3
      04-05-2024, 10:08 AM   #27
Martin751
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e G60

Quote:
Hey man….its all cool. I hope I get it fixed too

All commenting is good, you never know what could help!
My is scheduled for 15th April for next checking. If you had any news before, or solved problems by your side, please let know what was it.
FYI- it is rather not steering column, as I got already changed to new, and nothing get better...
Appreciate 1
SkykingUSA1310.50
      04-05-2024, 11:22 AM   #28
elbmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin751 View Post
My is scheduled for 15th April for next checking. If you had any news before, or solved problems by your side, please let know what was it.
FYI- it is rather not steering column, as I got already changed to new, and nothing get better...
New steering column or steering rack?

I'm taking mine in on Tuesday but honestly don't have high hopes for solving the issue.

BTW, lately I've noticed a new symptom - after sitting all night charging, the steering makes this dull click once I start turning right.
So I turn on the car, drive straight to pull out from carport, turn right, it clicks right before I turn.

What's weird, it only happens once during the day, mornings only, as if the steering unlocks.
Appreciate 1
SkykingUSA1310.50
      04-05-2024, 11:42 AM   #29
richpat69
Rep
Drives: 2024 540i X, 2020 M550

I got a new 540 not quite two months ago and while I noticed the steering pressure was much lighter at very low speeds, I haven't had any problems adjusting to it. I also haven't noticed any problems at higher speeds.
Appreciate 2
elbmw812.50
SkykingUSA1310.50
      04-07-2024, 02:05 PM   #30
MaVaGe
Rep
Drives: BMW i5 E40

Hi All,
What a relief to see this post ... that I'm not alone. I informed my dealer 2,5 months ago, they tried do find out themselves, but they are not 100% convinced. They problem is really only noticeable at 125 km/h or 77 mph. And they just drove for 10 seconds at that speed. The workers over there over overloaded.
My problem is exactly as described above : impossible to keep lanes in manual mode. I always use 'driving assistence' and you can feel the car making constant corrections.
But the danger is when the diving assistence switches off, eg. no road signalisation, or I touch the brakes ... at that moment it is very difficult to control the car, imagine there happens a car accident in front of me, how can I avoid a collision ???

My idea is that there is something wrong with the alignment? The dealer want to check this, but they are also thinking of replacing the stearing colon, a 48-volt type due to the stearing back wheels.

I have a i5 edrive 40, with M-performance pack (a bit lower) and stearing back wheels that can turn 3% or so.

What is your setup ?

Last edited by MaVaGe; 04-08-2024 at 04:16 AM..
Appreciate 1
SkykingUSA1310.50
      04-08-2024, 10:59 AM   #31
Mac545
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaVaGe View Post
Hi All,
What a relief to see this post ... that I'm not alone. I informed my dealer 2,5 months ago, they tried do find out themselves, but they are not 100% convinced. They problem is really only noticeable at 125 km/h or 77 mph. And they just drove for 10 seconds at that speed. The workers over there over overloaded.
My problem is exactly as described above : impossible to keep lanes in manual mode. I always use 'driving assistence' and you can feel the car making constant corrections.
But the danger is when the diving assistence switches off, eg. no road signalisation, or I touch the brakes ... at that moment it is very difficult to control the car, imagine there happens a car accident in front of me, how can I avoid a collision ???

My idea is that there is something wrong with the alignment? The dealer want to check this, but they are also thinking of replacing the stearing colon, a 48-volt type due to the stearing back wheels.

I have a i5 edrive 40, with M-performance pack (a bit lower) and stearing back wheels that can turn 3% or so.

What is your setup ?
I have been logging my issues before taking into my BMW dealer so I can give them as much data as possible.

I have M60 (rear wheel steering same as you) and my issues are completely RANDOM it seems. As I mentioned in earlier post, I drive the same route to and from work, with different roads and speeds from 30-70mph. There is no consistency to when the steering gets “stuck”…..

My thoughts were also tracking issues. But it even feels like the wheels are all moving independently from each other sometimes….it’s such a difficult issue to describe! 😩
Appreciate 1
SkykingUSA1310.50
      04-09-2024, 07:17 AM   #32
MaVaGe
Rep
Drives: BMW i5 E40

Wheel alignment issue ??

Quote:
I have been logging my issues before taking into my BMW dealer so I can give them as much data as possible.

I have M60 (rear wheel steering same as you) and my issues are completely RANDOM it seems. As I mentioned in earlier post, I drive the same route to and from work, with different roads and speeds from 30-70mph. There is no consistency to when the steering gets “stuck”…..

My thoughts were also tracking issues. But it even feels like the wheels are all moving independently from each other sometimes….it’s such a difficult issue to describe! 😩
Hi Mac545,
I suspect a problem with car/wheel alignment. E.g. Camber:
https://www.ecu-repairs.com/how-do-p...ffect-your-car

If there a suspension issue, the camber can change by the pressure on the front wheels : when accelerating less pressure, when slowing down, more pressure.
Even more frontal wind can put more pressure on front wheels.
So every ride has different feeling, exactly what I also reported.

I'm an engineer and like to objectivate the problem, to measure things. So I bought a Newton meter, something like this:https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/41uMPG6fYXL.jpg, but then for 20N.

My measument on the stearing (20cm) converted to NM gives me these results:
70km/u => 8 N or 1,6 Nm
90km/u => 10 N or 2,0 Nm
125 km/u => 14 N (deadpoint !!) or 2,8 Nm !!!

I also asked BMW Belgium to escalate this issue with the engineers in Germany.
Appreciate 4
Mac545418.00
Scrapula2752.50
SkykingUSA1310.50
      04-12-2024, 03:04 PM   #33
elbmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

So I took my car in for service on Tuesday, the dealer had the car for 2 days.
As expected, they couldn't find any issues, told me to keep the nannies off to avoid any inconsistences in the steering feel and hope for an over the air update which might fix the issue.

But I swear that the steering feel is much better now after the visit.
It's heavier and more linear, I actually enjoy it now.

Before, I always switched to sport mode on freeway to get at least some sort of improvement. But today I was on the phone and completely forgot to do so. I still noticed the overall improved feel and then realized that I drove 20 miles in personal setting, which is set to comfort, and it didn't bother me at all.

I would not be surprised if the dealer actually reprogrammed the car, yet couldn't admit it to avoid any legal action against BMW. Dunno, that thought immediately popped in my mind after I tried to make sense of what happened.

So for now, I really hope that the car will continue behaving this way 'cause I like it.

One more thing, I purposely chose a G30 530 loaner to compare it to the G60 because I considered my previous G30 540ix to be the best BMW I've had to date.

I hate to admit it, I really disliked the car. It looked and felt outdated, the materials felt cheaper (the car had sensatec interior and plastic dashboard)

The suspension was jittery and felt as if it never settled, the base music is definitely not on par with the base HK system in the G60.

Most importantly though, I also disliked the steering feel. Yes, it was definitely heavier in the G30 but I felt like the actual steering feedback was also absent as in G60. But the steering in G60 is noticeably quicker and more direct.

It actually felt as if I was driving through molasses or something while in G30 That's how much slower and heavier the steering felt in G30 after driving the G60 for 5 weeks.

So, I was pretty shocked to come to these conclusions as I truly enjoyed my G30 540ix for 3 years.

Overall, I can confidently say now that G60 is a much better car and it also feels as it's a class above G30.
Appreciate 3
SkykingUSA1310.50
Mac545418.00
Scrapula2752.50
      04-12-2024, 04:35 PM   #34
PsychDoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 540ix

I felt some - very minor - non-linear irregularity in my steering and I made a service appointment for a week and a half later. Several days after I made the appointment I canceled it because I really couldn't replicate the problem and there really seemed to be nothing wrong with the steering. Haven't felt any irregularities with the steering since then and the car drives like a dream.
Regarding comparisons with the G30 the audio system in the G60 (B&W) is orders of magnitude superior to the base audio in the G30. Much more articulate and well balanced.
Was your G30 loaner a 530 or a 540? After you get used to the superb B58, any 4 cylinder engine will disappoint.
Appreciate 3
SkykingUSA1310.50
Scrapula2752.50