BMW i5 and 5-Series Forum

10-02-2023, 03:29 PM   #45
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Let's not derail this discuss to Tesla shall we.

Just watched the CARWOW video and noticed the water dripping sound from the AC. That seems weird.
It is bound to happen in any EV thread, they dominate the US EV market.

I agree though, lets talk about the i5. I want to hear more about the power derating in the Out of Spec video. Derating to 80% after a few minutes of spirited driving seems odds. Batteries get hot that fast or is software way too conservative?
Appreciate 1
BMW-X157.00
      10-02-2023, 03:48 PM   #46
kconner5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 Manual (ZCP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3WC View Post
It is bound to happen in any EV thread, they dominate the US EV market.

I agree though, lets talk about the i5. I want to hear more about the power derating in the Out of Spec video. Derating to 80% after a few minutes of spirited driving seems odds. Batteries get hot that fast or is software way too conservative?
Unlikely it was battery getting too hot as it recovered quite quickly - batteries have a lot of thermal mass and are usually not the weak point for thermal derate - my guess is one of the inverter temperature went beyond a threshold temperature and then cooled down quite quickly (which is typical for an inverter). What I find odd is I've driven i7 and iX way harder, for way longer, with no thermal derating issues.

I spoke to the head of powertrain about it and he seemed just as confused when I showed him the video. He said they've pounded them around the alps and on the street never ran into issues. Last I heard was that they were going to pull the data off of my test car and then email me with the results.

I haven't heard back from them even after prodding. Oh well - I will test it when I can in the US on some canyon roads. I hope it was just a one off weird situation with this particular car because I really wasn't on it that hard at all

Also, I own a Model S Plaid and a Model 3 Performance, both of which have Track Mode that pre-chill the drive systems and run cooling way harder than normal. I hope the real ///M cars have something similar

Kyle
Appreciate 6
Travis251.50
DHDCF286.50
M3WC3645.00
AESZ4205.50
BMW-X157.00
      10-02-2023, 03:52 PM   #47
JMD
MGySgt
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Garage List! ;-)

Garage List
2010 M5  [10.00]
2016 BMW 340xi M Sport  [9.00]
2019 X5 50i M Sport  [5.50]
2010 535xi  [0.00]
2013 M5  [0.00]
2012 X5 M  [0.00]
Here here! I've driven my cousin's Model 3 (Dual Motor),...just a easy laid-back drive in no specific zip code in GA. I've also driven the i4 M50 at one of BMWs test drive events and hands down,...without a doubt, the i4 is wayyyyy more car - Period! It's not even close. Does the Model 3 have longer range,...of course it does,...but what it doesn't has is the inspiration and build quality of the i4! BMW has had many generations to get their quality act together some never-have-been-existed new kid gonna instill that DNA in their initial offering right out the gate - that's not happening!

Also, there are other things to consider. For instance, if I were to buy a Tesla, I don't think I'd ever do a "Look Back" at it after parking and walking away from it. That said, I've owned a lot of BMWs,...and I mean a lot,...from a '79 320i,...to current '19 F90,...'20 M340,...and '21 45e, and like many here, I can't help doing the "Look Back" after parking! A car, or any vehicle should bring inspiration to the owner, etc. If not, then it's just an appliance and I doubt of anyone here ever looks back at their Toaster, Micro-Wave Oven, Electric Stove or Refrigerator when walk away from it!

Also, I don't know if I want a hologram image of Elon popping up in my head each time I looked back at a Tesla. Now, mind you, Elon has done some great things with Tesla, but thing is, he hasn't sold me (and many others),...and probably never will. Now, another thing he (Mr. Musk) has done is forced other vehicle manufacturers to get off their butts and engineer some competition.

So, what do I like about Tesla and I'm talking about the "total package" here? Simple - their Range! That's about it.

Cheers...

Last edited by JMD; 10-03-2023 at 10:09 AM..
Appreciate 1
BMW-X157.00
      10-02-2023, 03:55 PM   #48
Travis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i5 eDrive 40

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kconner5 View Post
Unlikely it was battery getting too hot as it recovered quite quickly - batteries have a lot of thermal mass and are usually not the weak point for thermal derate - my guess is one of the inverter temperature went beyond a threshold temperature and then cooled down quite quickly (which is typical for an inverter). What I find odd is I've driven i7 and iX way harder, for way longer, with no thermal derating issues.

I spoke to the head of powertrain about it and he seemed just as confused when I showed him the video. He said they've pounded them around the alps and on the street never ran into issues. Last I heard was that they were going to pull the data off of my test car and then email me with the results.

I haven't heard back from them even after prodding. Oh well - I will test it when I can in the US on some canyon roads. I hope it was just a one off weird situation with this particular car because I really wasn't on it that hard at all

Also, I own a Model S Plaid and a Model 3 Performance, both of which have Track Mode that pre-chill the drive systems and run cooling way harder than normal. I hope the real ///M cars have something similar

Kyle
A bunch of reporters destroyed the car
Thanks Kyle.

I also noticed a recent report that some BMW wireless charging pads are frying the iPhone 15 NFC chips. Just throw it here in case you (and everyone) are interested to follow up.
https://www.macrumors.com/2023/10/01...e-15-nfc-chip/
Appreciate 1
cfm56d7b5886.00
      10-02-2023, 04:47 PM   #49
Scrapula
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW i5 M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD View Post
I doubt of anyone here ever looks back at their Toaster, Micro-Wave Oven, Electric Stove or Refrigerator when walk away from it!
To be honest, I do look back at my Thermador Professional Gas Rangetop. It is gorgeous.
Appreciate 1
kconner5308.00
      10-02-2023, 05:33 PM   #50
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: I6-> iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt View Post
Nice video Kyle.
Only watched the first 10 minutes or so (still at work) but a few slides caught my attention, e.g. the i5 charge curve which is now a smooth curve instead of stepped like in the iX.
Did they present these slides during the test drive event? I can't believe no one else is reporting these details which in terms of engineering is very interesting to me.
I read Tesla’s superchargers are at 350kW- and soon to be 450kW. I didn’t even realize that power was even capable.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2023, 06:43 PM   #51
JMD
MGySgt
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Garage List! ;-)

Garage List
2010 M5  [10.00]
2016 BMW 340xi M Sport  [9.00]
2019 X5 50i M Sport  [5.50]
2010 535xi  [0.00]
2013 M5  [0.00]
2012 X5 M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapula View Post
To be honest, I do look back at my Thermador Professional Gas Rangetop. It is gorgeous.
LOL!
      10-02-2023, 07:21 PM   #52
iM3an
Private
Rep
Drives: G05 17 i3 E36 M3 vert E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBravo View Post
Really? Interesting, because my i5 M60 order lists multi-contour seats as a standard feature.
It was listed originally as multi contours in the luxury seating package, the ordering guides and build your own changed about a week or so after to show multi function.
2005 M3 6MT (Totaled)
1997 M3 Vert (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2023, 08:29 PM   #53
E63M6_G42M240i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 TR G80 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD View Post
Here here! I've driven my cousin's Model 3 (Dual Motor),...just a easy laid-back drive in no specific zip code in GA. I've also driven the i4 M50 at one of BMWs test drive events and hands down,...without a doubt, the i4 is wayyyyy more car - Period! It's not even close. Does the Model 3 have longer range,...of course it does,...but what it doesn't have is the inspiration and build quality of the i4! BMW has had many generations to get their quality act together and some never-have-been-existed new kid gonna instill that DNA in their initial offering right out the gate.

Also, there are other things to consider. For instance, if I were to buy a Tesla, I don't think I'd ever do a "Look Back" at it after parking and walking away from it. That said, I've owned a lot of BMWs,...and I mean a lot,...from a '79 320i,...to current '19 F90,...'20 M340,...and '21 45e, and like many here, I can't help doing the "Look Back" after parking! A car, or any vehicle should bring inspiration to the owner, etc. If not, then it's just an appliance and I doubt of anyone here ever looks back at their Toaster, Micro-Wave Oven, Electric Stove or Refrigerator when walk away from it!

Also, I don't know if I want a hologram image of Elon popping up in my head each time I looked back at a Tesla. Now, mind you, Elon has done some great things with Tesla, but thing is, he hasn't sold me (and many others),...and probably never will. Now, another thing he (Mr. Musk) has done is forced other vehicle manufacturers to get off their butts and engineer some competition.

So, what do I like [...]
Well said. Are Tesla fan boys so enamored by that iPad and acceleration that they’re willing to overlook the shoddy build quality? I mean Tesla markets itself as a luxury brand on the level of Audi, bmw, Mercedes and Lexus and they’re built more like older Toyota Corollas/Honda civics with more gadgets and power. I mean that iPad is great and all but what about a HUD so you can keep your damn eyes on the road?
Appreciate 3
Scrapula2754.00
JMD637.00
      10-02-2023, 09:50 PM   #54
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaffari46 View Post
No I’m not kidding, I have 2 BMWs and one tesla. I have had i4 for couple of months. I don’t think you have much experience with tesla.
Range is important especially if you live in US, especially in north. In subzero temperatures you can not drive these “premium German car” more than 100 miles before you get nervous.
The other thing is having a drive shaft tunnel is an electric car! Why? Yeah because they want to use the same body of their ICE car. An electric car doesn’t need to have a long overhang bonnet and a drive shaft tunnel ( like i7 and i5).
Anyhow, market will talk.
Tesla consumers return in 67%, average luxury brand 46 percent.
I’m enjoying my M2, but driving my tesla when I feel to drive an electric car. This is my second tesla and BMW has to work harder to get even close to tesla, despite the comparable price range. Just look at I4 vs tesla 3 sales numbers.
Nothing you said is wrong nor am I going to argue against your preferences but I don't need to have any experience with Tesla to know exactly what I need or want in an EV should I switch over from ICE.

I don't think of that hypothetical long road trip that I will likely never take and if that road trip was ever going to happen, I wouldn't consider an EV for that alone. Depending on which location I have to be at, my daily work commute is 48km on the short end, 90km on the longer end and both are mostly highway so range anxiety isn't a factor even considering all of that during Toronto winters.

BMW isn't Tesla nor does anybody on here want them to be. We want a BMW to be a BMW and so far, BMW's EV's have largely delivered (design aside). You can throw out sales numbers all you want but it doesn't change the fact that objectively speaking, cars like the i4, i5, iX, EQE, EQS, etron GT, Taycan even with their inferior range are objectively better cars overall than any Tesla. That's not a knock on Tesla, if you want a Tesla, it's because you're just looking for an EV - period. For the rest of us, we're looking for a BMW that happens to be electric.

As for the i4 vs. Model 3? I would take an i4 over a Model 3 without hesitating for all the reasons I mentioned above.
Appreciate 5
Scrapula2754.00
ldhn28.50
TXSchnee1316.50
BMW-X157.00
      10-03-2023, 04:58 AM   #55
LuckyBrand
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15, G05 X5, G80 M3 6sp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenseal View Post
Still can’t believe BMW ruined the heritage of the 5 series with this unsightly travesty of a design. Oh well.
Yeah. Family and I watched one of the videos. It just looks to big especially the side profile. Doesn't look sleek and the shiny black plastic BMW is putting all over some of the cars front ends is going to look bad in about 2 days of ownership. Guess just like everything else ill wait for full judgment when I see one in person. For now the previous model looks much better to me.

I do like the interior though and I'm sure it would be a pleasant place to be. Although I am tiring of all the interiors being basically the same style inside on all lineups. Same screens, etc. I know a lot of manufacturers are doing it as it saves money but I can get into 3 different cars and the interiors are all pretty much the same. Kind of boring to me lol. The IX does it different though and I like that.
      10-03-2023, 10:29 AM   #56
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I saw mat Watson carwow review.
Those indicators certainly look like they came out of a cheap parts bin.

I sat in one at the Munich IAA and although this car is it for me , I still wanted to have a good look at it
The steering wheel buttons also looked cheap to me , again they shined black plastic( there were staff at all the manufacturers displays whose job seemed to be solely wiping off the finger prints left everywhere!)
I thought they were touch sensitive but the reviews confirm they are not so that’s something

Each to their own of course and everyone free to express their opinions, this feels like the e60 to the e39 all those years ago repeating itself (you know what I mean?)

Anyway will be interested to hear what real people think of it when they get theirs, which must surely be a matter of days now?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2023, 10:40 AM   #57
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

This seems like a really nice, comfortable cruiser. Probably best in segment.

But I'm positive it's not sporty to drive. Just a big dad car.

Enthusiasts will always choose an M3 any day in that price bracket.
Appreciate 1
LuckyBrand1323.00
      10-03-2023, 10:43 AM   #58
Penguino
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: A car.

I know it has digital buttons for AC adjustment. Does it have physical buttons for windshield wipers, mirror adjustments and headlights? Also, is the open roof glass or solid?

This drives me absolutely insane on Teslas and what’s keeping me away from getting one.
      10-03-2023, 11:16 AM   #59
LuckyBrand
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15, G05 X5, G80 M3 6sp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguino View Post
I know it has digital buttons for AC adjustment. Does it have physical buttons for windshield wipers, mirror adjustments and headlights? Also, is the open roof glass or solid?

This drives me absolutely insane on Teslas and what’s keeping me away from getting one.
Yes those items are still there.

I did here on the review I watched that he thought the US version may get a front roof that opened but not confirmed.
      10-03-2023, 02:00 PM   #60
Travis
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyBrand View Post
Yes those items are still there.

I did here on the review I watched that he thought the US version may get a front roof that opened but not confirmed.
The standard front glass roof can open and the optional more expensive all glass roof cannot.
So I did not pay extra money for that.
Appreciate 1
LuckyBrand1323.00
      10-03-2023, 02:05 PM   #61
DHDCF
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Stealth Wrapped FDG I5 M60

But gives the car a better look.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2023, 02:05 PM   #62
Travis
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
This seems like a really nice, comfortable cruiser. Probably best in segment.

But I'm positive it's not sporty to drive. Just a big dad car.

Enthusiasts will always choose an M3 any day in that price bracket.
I am a daddy so I ordered i5 rather than i4.
If somehow they make a iX5 I would consider switch and get an aditonal M2 maybe just to pretend I am cool.
But for a family sedan occasionally hauling 5 persons, i5 edrive I think is the best in class. Also it is probably the sportiest in its segment.
Appreciate 2
BMW-X157.00
      10-03-2023, 02:07 PM   #63
Travis
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHDCF View Post
But gives the car a better look.
A better look would be carbon fiber roof.
Appreciate 1
BMW-X157.00
      10-03-2023, 04:55 PM   #64
BMW-X
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i coupe

Quote:
Let's not derail this discuss to Tesla shall we.

Just watched the CARWOW video and noticed the water dripping sound from the AC. That seems weird.
Seems like a one off because no one else has mentioned it or can be heard in their videos.

I could be wrong, but I went back and watched to see if I could hear it. I hope it is because that shit will drive me nuts.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2023, 05:01 PM   #65
BMW-X
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i coupe

Quote:
A better look would be carbon fiber roof.
Yes please! Lol
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2023, 05:56 PM   #66
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
A bunch of reporters destroyed the car
Thanks Kyle.

I also noticed a recent report that some BMW wireless charging pads are frying the iPhone 15 NFC chips. Just throw it here in case you (and everyone) are interested to follow up.
https://www.macrumors.com/2023/10/01...e-15-nfc-chip/
It’s safe to say that BMW sources wireless charging components from an OEM supplier that did not advance its own technology fast enough. Unfortunate but it is what it is. Hardware refresh cycles of externally sourced components do not always follow the desired timeline.

Will be addressed in time.
Appreciate 0