Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

The IONIQ 5 N is a Mindf**k of a Car - My Review

Name:  NewFarmWide.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  607.3 KB

The IONIQ 5 N is one hell of a car, and a very perplexing one at that. This last week, I was given the opportunity to try out this new “one of a kind” performance EV SUV out, and I have to say, it may honestly be one of the most interesting vehicles I have driven within the last few years. And yes, I can already hear the nay sayers heading straight to their keyboards to post their objections. But even if you don't like EVs, its hard to deny the amount of effort and impressive work that went into the engineering of this vehicle, along with its breadth of capabilities and achievements on track. And without this thread divulging into the circular conversations and off-optic nonsense that most EV threads on here come to, I thought I’d share my first-hand experience behind the wheel of the IONIQ 5 N.

Name:  NewDam8.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  837.3 KB

As we all know, when it comes to EVs they perform the mundane a-to-b tasks incredibly well. Smooth and silent operation, no NVH or shifting, and abundance of power all create a great experience. We have an IONIQ 6 in the family, and that is one fantastic car when traveling about the city. But it is not fun in the slightest, and that's ok. So, how does a heavy battery electric car gain a soul? The crazy geniuses at Hyundai's N division (in particular ex BMW-M boss Albert Biermann) thought of that and gave us their take on a performance EV unlike any other.

The Stats
For those unfamiliar, the IONIQ 5 N is Hyundai’s performance EV SUV. It has a maximum of 641 horsepower and 568lb-ft torque when using N Grin Boost (NGB), and at all other times 601 horsepower and 545lb-ft torque. It has an 84kWh battery capable of 221 EPA estimated miles and uses an 800-volt architecture. Hyundai claims the I5N weighs around 4800lbs and will hit 60 in 3.25 seconds.

Name:  Dam2Rear.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  830.0 KB

The Looks
Before getting to how it drives though, how about the looks? I know the crowd on here may be split on Hyundai’s design direction and overall “styling” (although the grass isn't much greener in Munich), but I think the I5N looks the part. The regular I5 looks fantastic. It has a retro-modern flair, with clear inspiration from 80’s hot hatches (particularly that of the Delta Integrale) and with that, I think that allows it to be the best-looking EV outside of maybe a Taycan, which is easily double the price. The I5N takes it up a notch to 11 with beefy fender flares, a lower and wider stance, real vents for aero, as well as different trim and a more aerodynamic rear spoiler on top of many other changes. And of course, this one being spec’d in Soultronic Orange means it will have no trouble standing out from the crowd. Again, I know looks are subjective, but I dig it.

Name:  NewField4Side.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  763.0 KB

Inside things are much more tame. It receives the usual I5 bits and pieces, although receives a revised fixed center console, as well as blue N trim about the doors and upper dash. Materials are generally nice, with most harder plastics down below. The N specific steering wheel is fantastic in its design and usability. It features perforated leather that is just the right amount of thickness without being overdone, and some additional controls, including a drive mode toggle, NGB toggle for the full fat 641hp, and two programmable N buttons below 9 and 3. Replacing the regular seats are N bucket seats with the right amount of bolstering and padding, as well as heating and ventilation.

Name:  NewIntBack.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  368.4 KB

Behind the Wheel
Starting the I5N is like any other EV. Press the button and a start up chime tells you you're ready to go. Its dead silent. I began my journey on the highway and decided to use eco mode first. Here it’s just like the regular I5, albeit more powerful. Smooth, silent, and easy. Regenerative brakes are excellent and incredibly customizable to fit the driver’s preference. Getting off the highway and getting onto some fun backroads though, eco mode was far from my first choice.

Name:  NewIntFront.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  447.9 KB

I first hit the left N button, which I had programmed to go through my custom N modes. I mainly left it in the following sequence of settings: Motor sport plus, steering sport, suspension normal, e-LSD sport plus, ESC sport, and NAS+ (sound) in Ignition. There’s a multitude of settings and these are only just the beginning of customizations. I then hit the right N button to turn on the simulated dual-clutch gearbox. Yes, you heard that right, this EV has a simulated gearbox. Hyundai’s answer to making EVs fun? Make it like an ICE car. It may seem stupid at first, and an impossible task to replicate that of a performance ICE car, but it does it quite convincingly.

Name:  NewSeats11.jpg
Size:  385.9 KB

The moment the drive mode is switched, suddenly the car provides an audible rumble through the speakers, as if the ignition has been started in a gas car and sitting at idle. And I don’t know if it was just the sound altering my brain or if it was truly there, but the car suddenly felt as if it had the smallest amount of vibration to it as well.

I selected the left paddle to set it to first gear and the gauges displayed a rev counter with a redline towards 7700rpm, and the car pumped in audio that sounded like the Elantra N I drove two months prior. From there I floored the throttle and was thrusted into the back of my seat. This thing is quick as f**k. I found myself at the end of first gear and the car held the gear, waiting for me to manually shift into second. The gearbox mimics that of an ICE car perfectly honestly. Each gear had its own ratio, no automatic shifting, and the car actually bangs on upshifts and will lug if in high gear at low speeds. Its amazing how they were able to marry the software and powertrain together to provide an experience that I would never associate with an EV. I loved it. The shifts were hard in the best way, and the car begs to be driven aggressively.

Name:  IntGauge.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  321.6 KB

But a great transmission is nothing without an engine paired to it. Here the I5N again mimics the Elantra’s boosted 4-cylinder turbo, albeit much quicker thanks to its motors’ instant horsepower and torque numbers. The sound is almost identical, down to even the pops and bangs on shifts and throttle lift off when high in the rev range. To be honest, with how much engine noise is piped through the speakers of many ICE cars, even those more than double the price, the I5N still feels similar to those cars. And outside the car, its nothing but silent unless crawling at parking lot speeds. I would say the one thing missing is the vibration or feeling of something going on under the hood of the car, but its honestly doesn’t take away much from the experience.

The “motor” in this thing is relentless, it has power for days, and pushes you into your seat with every stab of the throttle. And that throttle is incredibly reactive, as the torque is instant after all. Even with the simulated transmission which would technically lower the feeling of power as it would have to build through its ratios, it’s just quick regardless. It’s always ready for more. If you hit the NGB button on the steering wheel for the full power, it does sadly turn off the simulated transmission, and provides 10 seconds of boost. And somehow, this already quick car becomes quicker. Once the boost ends (or the button is hit again to cancel it) it sends you back into the simulated gearbox.

Name:  NewField3Zoom.jpg
Size:  582.8 KB

As you push the car, it loads power through the corners incredibly well, with its Pirelli’s sticking to the pavement, although still allowing a nice amount of predictable slip when you do desire to get the back end out. And with the amount of power this thing has, you can certainly do that.

Steering is generally good and direct. It’s not the most talkative of racks, but I found it was best in its “middle” sport mode, as it wasn’t too heavy and didn't leave me clueless.

Suspension was mostly decent. With large 21’s and a heavy curb weight, the I5N is stiff, but not overly so, but it definitely won’t soak up the bumps too much. Over broken pavement it’s definitely more noticeable, however when on a smooth or decent road, or just cruising in eco mode, it is acceptable. Weight is definitely a factor for this car, along with all EVs. Luckily the weight is lower in the chassis which does help keep the car feeling stable and planted, but it won’t ever trick you into it being a nimble sports car. It feels just as heavy as any other performance SUV, but a little bit more noticeable in the corners.

One interesting thing about it not having an engine, is less feeling of guilt when it comes to using that power and pushing the top of the rev range, especially when it comes to back-to-back launches and full throttle driving. Maybe it’s just a mental thing, but I feel like I can fully push the powertrain of this car, as after all, if I hit the rev limiter, it’s really just software that’s limiting me, and I'm not doing any harm to the motor.

Speaking of launches, Hyundai claims a 3.25 second 0 to 60 run for the I5N. With that in mind, I tried launching the car on various roads and in various modes using the launch timer built into the car’s N screen. I first tried brake boosting it with the transmission on and in automatic mode. Here I was able to get 3.39 seconds on relatively sticky pavement. Turn on manual mode, and with my best shifting abilities pushing towards redline, I got 3.59. Using the built in launch control (which uses the NGB and full power), the car was at 60 in 3.18 seconds, beating Hyundai’s claim. And this was easily repeatable. Regardless of launch mode, I could hear the tires lighting up as this car is just so damn powerful. Even while in first gear, when slamming the throttle this thing left marks on the road.

And if that weren’t enough, there is also an N Torque Distribution screen. Here the car can send all of its power to the rear wheels. In my testing though, I still think there was some power sent to the front.

Name:  Tech4.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  325.4 KB

Technology Galore
There is a plethora of modes and settings that can be changed, honestly too many. Without reading the owner’s manual, the modes outside of the general motor, steering, and suspension settings can be a bit confusing. The most confusing aspect is mainly the matrix of settings in which these modes work. For example, when using NGB, N Drift Mode, or N Torque Distribution, the transmission must be turned off. If you try to activate these with the transmission on, the car will display a message saying that the car must be in N mode with ESC in sport, etc. But it doesn’t say explicitly to turn off the transmission, which can leave someone easily confused or frustrated. Luckily, most of these functions are just added benefits that are more so used in short periods of time, whereas the transmission would be used for the majority of the drive. Luckily, unlike the many drive modes, the rest of the infotainment system is incredibly user friendly, and modern looking.

Name:  Tech1.jpg
Size:  371.5 KB
Name:  Tech2.jpg
Size:  406.4 KB

Going the Distance
And then we get to range, the sore spot of any EV discussion. The EPA rates the I5N at 221 miles. This of course can be impacted by anything such as AC/heating, weather, acts of god, etc. For my first drive in the car, I started with 100% heading from Northern Virginia towards the Baltimore area. A 65-mile highway drive (65-75mph) in eco mode with the HVAC running took the range down 25%. Blasting through about 70 miles of back-roading with aggressive driving in N mode and the windows down (no HVAC, just seat/steering heating) left me with about 90 miles left on my charge. So, in my case, I could easily get back home to the charger. But this was also a very nice day and using eco mode on the highway probably helped.

This is definitely a car that is dependent on its location. Living closer to backroads and having a home charger, is key. I took the car over to an Electrify America station and juiced it from 30% to 80% in about 15 minutes. Enough time to stretch my legs, use the restroom, and listen to a song or two before getting back on the road. This is definitely not a road trip car unless you have patience, but at least it does have one of the fastest charging curves in the industry, and when driven with more mixed use, I’m willing to bet it could easily do more than 200 miles.

Name:  Farm3.jpg
Size:  676.1 KB

The Price
Last, we get to the price. At $66,000, you may be saying to yourself “$60k?!? For a Hyundai!” To that I say, look at our current economy, but in all serious matters, yes that is not chump change. But, in the land of EVs, to me, this car is in a class of one. Its closest competitor (and mechanical twin) the Kia EV6 GT is priced similarly but lacks the charm and charisma of the I5N. The Model 3 Performance was just updated so I can't speak on it, but that is about $54,000 and probably the best value in its class, but its then also a Tesla, so there will be many ups and downs from the fantastic Supercharger network to questionable build quality. Like the Kia EV6 GT though it has good handling, but lacks a personality.

There are the luxury alternatives if you’re willing to spend more. The BMW i4 M50 is next up at a hair under $70,000 starting, and the Porsche Taycan is close to six figures and that's just scratching the surface before applying the Porsche tax. Both offer very polished handling, and pretty nice cabins, but what they make up for in handling prowess, they lose in feel as they are just very clinical and lack the care-free and rowdy attitude of the Hyundai.

Of all the performance EVs I’ve tested, from the Tesla Model 3, Model S Plaid, i4 M50, and Taycan Turbo, this easily beats them all hands down when it comes to fun. Each of those other cars are nice in their own rights, but I’d rather spec them in their most comfortable forms rather than their performance level trims/packages.

The great thing about the I5N is that it is truly a dual personality. It can carve through a backroad and get your heart racing while even providing feedback in numerous areas through its simulated engine and gearbox. Or, it can settle down, and be a quiet EV commuter to get your groceries or pick up your kids in.

Conclusion
So, in the end, this car is quite a confusing proposition, and it’s definitely for a very niche buyer. From what I’ve heard, Hyundai knows this, and plans to allocate very little of these cars so they don’t end up sitting on dealer lots. But, if you do have a home charger, love the EV lifestyle and hate spending money on gas, but want something more fun and different from the crowd, while offering the flexibility of comfort and sport, the IONIQ 5 N is one hell of an experience, and will easily change the future of performance EVs for the better.

Name:  NewOil.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  777.8 KB

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by stein_325i; Yesterday at 09:04 PM..
Appreciate 10
Burrcold5480.00
SteVTEC256.50
Arcades8213.00
E46ZHP254.00
gblansten2029.50
T0RM3NT3744.50
DFW_M1677.00
      Yesterday, 09:18 PM   #2
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Awesome review!!
stein_325i25128.50
      Yesterday, 09:19 PM   #3
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
Awesome review!!
Thanks! This car is quite hard to describe without going into detail so I went full journalist mode.
Appreciate 1
Burrcold5480.00
      Yesterday, 09:20 PM   #4
SteVTEC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 335i vert

Great review! Very interesting car for sure.
stein_325i25128.50
      Yesterday, 10:01 PM   #5
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a few cars

nice review. this is the one to buy if you're in the market it seems.
i read this as a drivers EV. the design is so cool without being too flashy.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25128.50
      Yesterday, 10:50 PM   #6
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

I can’t believe an electric Hyundai costs $68k. You can get a used 911 for that much. I paid less for my Panamera Turbo S plus a 3 year warranty. Who is taking loans at $1200-1500/month on a Hyundai? Insanity.
Appreciate 2
jesm207.50
      Today, 02:57 AM   #7
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

On topic, I'd just rather have a piston engine with a real gearset transmission and a real clutch pedal and a real gear selector. And really refuel it to 100% charge in 5 minutes.

Having to spend any sort of time pushing buttons on a screen to get it into fake ICE mode is too taxing. Real reality is still good. Fake beer just sucks too.

Good review though. Your time taken to publish it is much appreciated.
Appreciate 4
stein_325i25128.50
dizz81369.50
crAbb1237.00
      Today, 03:48 AM   #8
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
On topic, I'd just rather have a piston engine with a real gearset transmission and a real clutch pedal and a real gear selector. And really refuel it to 100% charge in 5 minutes.

Having to spend any sort of time pushing buttons on a screen to get it into fake ICE mode is too taxing. Real reality is still good. Fake beer just sucks too.

+1. If you have an EV, why the hell would you also give it the worst parts of an ICE? If you really want ICE that much, buy one instead. The rest of the car seems good though. Thanks for taking the time. Hyundai are probably my favourite car brand nowadays - way ahead of BMW for sure.
Appreciate 2
dizz81369.50
      Today, 06:53 AM   #9
Leucosticte
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi E92 6mt swap

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:

I appreciate the effort and engineering that went behind the car, but still think the concept is stupid overall.
Appreciate 1
dizz81369.50
      Today, 07:15 AM   #10
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldenz View Post
I can’t believe an electric Hyundai costs $68k. You can get a used 911 for that much. I paid less for my Panamera Turbo S plus a 3 year warranty. Who is taking loans at $1200-1500/month on a Hyundai? Insanity.
That would be a several year old, out of warranty Panamerica Turbo S?
Appreciate 0
      Today, 08:28 AM   #11
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Great review. I've been seeing a lot of this car lately. Not for me for sure, not playful enough, too heavy, too much tech, but I'm sure it'll find its buyers.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 12:46 PM   #12
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
That would be a several year old, out of warranty Panamerica Turbo S?
Yes, but you can buy extended warranty if you’re worried about repair cost. That’s what I did. Either way $68k for any Hyundai is insane. There are so many great used cars available in that price range. I mean you can get a used CPO Taycan 4S for that price.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 12:52 PM   #13
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leucosticte View Post
I appreciate the effort and engineering that went behind the car, but still think the concept is stupid overall.
That depends on your point of view. A lot of ICE cars already have fake things going on, especially with engine noise. Some CVTs are fake shifting because Japanese brands in general have next to no good auto tranny because they didn’t invest in performance until trying again recently.

This isn’t out of the ordinary. Those of us who knows cars, would probably find this more of a mind f*** than anything but at least one brand is trying but also do their best to keep the price down. You sure as heck don’t see German companies do that.
      Today, 01:11 PM   #14
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Yes, but you can buy extended warranty if you’re worried about repair cost. That’s what I did. Either way $68k for any Hyundai is insane. There are so many great used cars available in that price range. I mean you can get a used CPO Taycan 4S for that price.
Used cars? Ew. A lot of people don't do used cars.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 01:28 PM   #15
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Quote:
You really should compare the price for a used Hyundai Vs everything else. Not a valid comparison otherwise!
Appreciate 0
      Today, 01:37 PM   #16
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
That depends on your point of view. A lot of ICE cars already have fake things going on, especially with engine noise. Some CVTs are fake shifting because Japanese brands in general have next to no good auto tranny because they didn’t invest in performance until trying again recently.

This isn’t out of the ordinary. Those of us who knows cars, would probably find this more of a mind f*** than anything but at least one brand is trying but also do their best to keep the price down. You sure as heck don’t see German companies do that.
Well, that's where the DCT has lead us to, an EV faking it with piped in ICE noises and fake gear changes. Kind of makes the quietness of the EV argument go away. If cars with real engines are so well isolated from NVH and need piped-in engine sounds (because everything is now a flatulated 4-cylinder turbo) it seems electric really doesn't have a harshness advantage. When I first rode in a Model 3, my first thought was "this thing is louder than my 12-year old E90" (with 380,000 miles on it)...
Appreciate 1
dizz81369.50
      Today, 01:39 PM   #17
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Scraper

Appreciate 1
stein_325i25128.50
      Today, 01:48 PM   #18
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Quote:
Yes 2008 used 911 with 65k+ miles on it that will cost you as much in the next 5 years maintaining it…
Plus…very different vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 01:50 PM   #19
dizz81
Moving on
Rep
Drives: 23 M550 and 22 CT5V Blackwing

Quote:
Well, that's where the DCT has lead us to, an EV faking it with piped in ICE noises and fake gear changes. Kind of makes the quietness of the EV argument go away. If cars with real engines are so well isolated from NVH and need piped-in engine sounds (because everything is now a flatulated 4-cylinder turbo) it seems electric really doesn't have a harshness advantage. When I first rode in a Model 3, my first thought was "this thing is louder than my 12-year old E90" (with 380,000 miles on it)...
When I was stationed in Hawaii (2019-2021), I had to jump on a plane to visit some family. I called up an Uber and they showed up with a Tesla model 3. Anyone that knows roads in Hawaii, knows they're not the greatest. The car was impossibly loud sitting in the back. Not only that but the whole thing sounded like it was going to fall apart whenever it hit a bump or groove between roadway pieces on the highway. I put my headphones on just so I wouldn't get a headache.
23 M550ix (Aurora)
Appreciate 0