BMW i5 and 5-Series Forum

06-29-2023, 02:36 PM   #1
DroMike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 i7 eDrive50 (Inaugural Yr)

Pre-Order -- Purpose and Advantages

DARN - A few days ago I noticed I missed being able to put down a refundable $1,500 deposit on a new i5 M60. But actually I was never clear on what that would have done for me and see there seems to be some type of backup. That said, I have two distinct questions:

1. What is the advantage of putting down a deposit on BMW's website for a pre-production vehicle? Does it actually put you ahead of anybody else and if so, in what way?

2. Since the pre-order offer has been removed from BMW's website, they now state, "Claim your i5 before it’s released in October 2023. With a deposit today, pre-order the efficient BMW i5 eDrive40 or the high-powered i5 M60 from a participating BMW Center – and reserve your place in line for one of the first vehicles available in your area." Is this the same as the initial pre-order offer on BMW's website (except the deposit is given to a physical dealer), or if not, what is the difference?

Thanks for the education! :-)
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2023, 07:19 AM   #2
paulbazoV2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW IX X50

There are two advantages to the pre -order:

1-You get your order in the waiting list for production, the pre-order process with the I4 was a mess because BMW did not produce cars according to the order in the waiting list but on the available allocations for each dealer, but I was assured they would fix this for the I5.

2-when placing a pre-order you get a 4.99% with BMW finance guaranteed, (with the I4 was 1.99% and by the time cars started arriving the rate had gone up, but pre-orders who demanded it received 1.99%)

In my case with the I5 E40 I placed my pre-order on day one, but when I saw the configurator and noticed no adaptive suspension could be ordered I cancelled it, I will with until cars are at dealers to test drive and then , if I like it, place an order.
Appreciate 2
Sisyrx251.50
ando2005.00
      06-30-2023, 09:36 AM   #3
BMW012
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M550i CBM/Ivory

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbazoV2 View Post
There are two advantages to the pre -order:

1-You get your order in the waiting list for production, the pre-order process with the I4 was a mess because BMW did not produce cars according to the order in the waiting list but on the available allocations for each dealer, but I was assured they would fix this for the I5.

2-when placing a pre-order you get a 4.99% with BMW finance guaranteed, (with the I4 was 1.99% and by the time cars started arriving the rate had gone up, but pre-orders who demanded it received 1.99%)

In my case with the I5 E40 I placed my pre-order on day one, but when I saw the configurator and noticed no adaptive suspension could be ordered I cancelled it, I will with until cars are at dealers to test drive and then , if I like it, place an order.
how often do you use your adaptive suspension on your m550?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2023, 07:50 AM   #4
paulbazoV2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW IX X50

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW012 View Post
how often do you use your adaptive suspension on your m550?
I have an I4 E40, and on the last 4 BMW's I've had I always had the adaptive suspension and used it all the time, I enjoy sport setting but if the road is rough I use comfort, and so on.

The problem with the I5 not having adaptive suspension is that I don't know what the standard suspension is like, is it firm like sport, is it soft like comfort? So I will wait until I drive one to find out, it probably is like comfort and that would be fine, in my I4 I use comfort most of the time.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2023, 08:06 AM   #5
BMW012
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M550i CBM/Ivory

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbazoV2 View Post
I have an I4 E40, and on the last 4 BMW's I've had I always had the adaptive suspension and used it all the time, I enjoy sport setting but if the road is rough I use comfort, and so on.

The problem with the I5 not having adaptive suspension is that I don't know what the standard suspension is like, is it firm like sport, is it soft like comfort? So I will wait until I drive one to find out, it probably is like comfort and that would be fine, in my I4 I use comfort most of the time.
yea due to the weight and wheel gap, i believe it should be closer to comfort. plus i think they have increased the tire size and/or the wheel is available in 21s now, which indicates there is probably more room for for suspension travel.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2023, 05:01 PM   #6
bavarianboar
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 540i, 2020 430i

First model year would have all sorts of kinks, but yeah pre-ordering a brand new gen car in first model year of production has its own satisfaction!

You can be unique on the road for about a year until it becomes a bit more common.

If you are in the market for a new vehicle, certainly a good move to reserve yours!

Driving: 2020 540i M-Sport Carbon Black, Ivory Nappa - Dec 2019 BTO - Feb 2020 Delivery
Returned: 2016 535i M-Sport Carbon Black, Ivory Nappa :: 2014 F30 335i M-Sport Min Grey, Coral Red :: 2011 E90 328i Deep Sea Blue, Oyster Dakota
Appreciate 0