BMW i5 and 5-Series Forum

10-24-2023, 10:37 PM   #111
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune7 View Post
I hear you. But I am not going to own an electric performance car, because I need the visceral thrill and the sound. The fist and fury. Not the mad horsepower and torque. Our road system would never let us enjoy speeds where rocket launches matter anyway.

This is why folks still love their M3s and M2s. I understand the change to electric tech but will have no part in it. A hybrid may be a good compromise - that's about it.
Former 2020 M5 driver and I LOVE the quiet and amusement ride level ridiculousness of my S Plaid’s acceleration. Last five cars were V8 M cars. Different can be fun. Totally cool with differing opinions on this for sure.
Appreciate 1
DHDCF286.50
      02-19-2024, 03:45 AM   #112
Savoy2001
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC, 19 330I, 19 z06 vert

Thing is the plaid is a tank and handles and stops liike crap. Mainly the issue I have is the ridiculous weight. A high performance car sedan or not should not be that heavy. I find it honestly ridiculous.
Appreciate 1
Neusser451.50
      02-19-2024, 08:30 AM   #113
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoy2001 View Post
Thing is the plaid is a tank and handles and stops liike crap. Mainly the issue I have is the ridiculous weight. A high performance car sedan or not should not be that heavy. I find it honestly ridiculous.
The center of gravity in my Plaid is low. I take curves when no one is around with the same intensity that I did in my 2020 M5. I find it fun to drive.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 10:17 AM   #114
CarlosM4
Lieutenant
Brazil
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

The Plaid with track package handles very well. Nonetheless it will never handle like a M5 due to its sheer mass
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2024, 03:25 PM   #115
Neusser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 G31 540i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phayze71 View Post
OK, see, this is an issue. I see from your car list that you've always had M5s and M2s and stuff. Can I ask: why? For the money you spend on an M5, you can get yourself a really decked out 750i, with a more comfortable ride, more luxuries. And probably save some money on insurance, speeding tickets. You can get yourself almost 2 540i's. Why did you choose the M5? Because you wanted the performance, right?

Did the fact that you're gonna spend more on tires, on gas, on your brakes, on routine maintenance enter more than a minor part of the equation, if at all? Isn't the fact that you spent all that extra money, basically because you want the best performance? While the car is gorgeous (I have one too), it's not really something that screams speed to most people (carphiles don't count). You wanted the performance, at the end of the day?

So in a few years, whether it's the next generation or the one after that, EV will inevitably win. We all know it. For sake of hypothetical, let's say BMW will for some reason make a regular ICE M5, and an EV i5-M. If the i5-M is gonna outperform the ICE version, you would still spend the money on the ICE? You wouldn't just buy your regular 540i equivalent and save yourself a ton of money?
It isn't written in stone for the forseeable future, which is why smart companies are hedging bets and not going full EV.

The issue at present is entirely political and EVs aren't being developed for the Average Joe. They are a bridge to no car ownership whatsoever post 2030 (for us non-billionaires), just as the Davos crowd wants.

If we stop the latter political push, I agree that at some point we will shift fully away from ICE, but it will not be due to the reasons being used to justify it now, nor will it be in my life time (I'm mid-40s).
Appreciate 0