BMW i5 and 5-Series Forum

Yesterday, 11:17 AM   #1
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Misha Charoudin tests the Ioniq 5N on the Nordschleife

Probably the first EV designed with petrolheads in mind.

This is not some scripted test, they just take the cars on a few laps Touristenfahrten and see what happens. (and anything can happen during TF )

Currently I think the best EV alternative for say.. an Audi RS3 or BMW M2.
Also pricewise I think (USA prices)
Where I live these cars are even way more expensive due to the CO2 tax.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; Yesterday at 11:37 AM..
Appreciate 3
gblansten2052.00
T0RM3NT3746.00
Davil6578.00
      Yesterday, 12:20 PM   #2
T0RM3NT
Mr. Irrelevant
Rep
Drives: '23 G80M3CX Dravit/Silverstone

Wow...from a performance perspective with just a couple of laps, pretty impressive.
      Yesterday, 01:25 PM   #3
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

"Probably the first EV designed with petrolheads in mind."

I'd classify this as an oxymoron. Not a flame. But a flame on Hyundai. Let it be EV and stand on it's own. Or make a great piston car. I don't see where the ICE emulation really entices a petrolhead to buy this for (agressive) street driving.

It's range limited as a track car because of the recharging.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; Yesterday at 08:18 PM..
Appreciate 1
dizz81371.00
      Today, 03:44 AM   #4
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
Probably the first EV designed with petrolheads in mind.
You are exactly right. I’m not buying one any time soon but I really do appreciate this.

Thanks for posting Guido. Nice to see you posting things outside F1 in which I always enjoy your content very much.

I think it is so far ahead of any other EV from a passion perspective it’s on another planet.

Hyundai / Kia are also very well made cars. My wife has her Sportage GT. Now 160000km. Not a single fault in that time. No rattles. Interior just as good as an X3. Handling about the same too.

I love that they are even trying to do this stuff with an EV.

Incarnation did a review. Williamson hates EVs and he liked it too.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RpCC3nWUYGQ

You know this is the sort of thing BMW would be doing if it were still run by petrol heads. But it isn’t. I don’t know if Albert (former M boss) is still with Hyundai Kia but if not, his spirit lives on.
Appreciate 2
      Today, 08:27 AM   #5
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
I don’t know if Albert (former M boss) is still with Hyundai Kia but if not, his spirit lives on.
Afaik Biermann is still head of N division:

Seems it's run by germans . German president, german vice president, big testing facility at the Nordschleife for 10 years now....
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      Today, 08:34 AM   #6
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
You know this is the sort of thing BMW would be doing if it were still run by petrol heads. But it isn’t. I don’t know if Albert (former M boss) is still with Hyundai Kia but if not, his spirit lives on.

I can promise you that BMW, Porsche, Ferrari, Mercedes, and many other manufacturers with performance-based cars will have similar technologies as the 5N within the next 5 to 10 years, Hyundai simply did it first.

They will each have some version of an ICE-like EV, with faux-DCT transmissions, piped-in ICE sounds inside and out (and a slew of other futuristic sounds) and more...as they will each be chasing us ICE enthusiasts. I'm not saying many of us will take the bait with so many used ICE examples on the market (which will all be increasing in value and price), but rest assured, they're going to do their best to lure us.

The simulated ICE experience is coming....from Caymans to Corvettes to M cars to AMGs to McLarens, the 5N is just the beginning.
Appreciate 1
      Today, 08:46 AM   #7
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
"Probably the first EV designed with petrolheads in mind."

I'd classify this as an oxymoron. Not a flame. But a flame on Hyundai. Let it be EV and stand on it's own. Or make a great piston car. I don't see where the ICE emulation really entices a petrolhead to buy this for (agressive) street driving.

It's range limited as a track car because of the recharging.
I dunno. I like EV cars but for commuting. If a EV sports car is made with petrolheads in mind then I'm probably going to want it more than a classic full EV cars. Like I'm talking about the scenario where EV only cars can be sold, I still want my EV sports car to make classic sports car noises. That's what I enjoy.

But since hybrid cars are still allowed I do think that will be the option/route for now.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 10:40 AM   #8
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
I dunno. I like EV cars but for commuting. If a EV sports car is made with petrolheads in mind then I'm probably going to want it more than a classic full EV cars. Like I'm talking about the scenario where EV only cars can be sold, I still want my EV sports car to make classic sports car noises. That's what I enjoy.

But since hybrid cars are still allowed I do think that will be the option/route for now.
This is a slope I do not want to be on. As a petrolhead, I have no interest in this car. I don't see where it fits in. It's fake. It's just a video game programmed into the hardware. If EV are the future, then just accept the new normal whizzing and whirring sounds EVs make, and the smells of overheated electronics.

I've recently been considering adding a Harely Street Glide to my fleet. The sales dude lit it up for me in the showroom. The machine became "alive". HD has added a balancer to the 45 deg. V-twin and left 25% of the vibration in it. Meg Ryan cannot fake that. It's real. As a real petrolhead, I know it when I see it. The 5N fakes it.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 10:53 AM   #9
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Quote:
As a petrolhead, I have no interest in this car. I don't see where it fits in. It's fake.
In 10 years time, no new ICE car is allowed to be sold in the EU and UK (and some other countries that participate, I think Australia is in there too).

That's a huge area with a lot of people far far exeeding the US.
If carmakers don't start experimenting with EV cars that are fun to drive in relation of what we now consider fun to drive (watch the end of the video, that guy has A LOT of experience on the nordschleife and spa), we'll all (with that I mean the countries mentioned) end up with very very boring EV's come 2035.
This car is also probably more oriented for europe than the US.
It's probably no coincidence that Hyundai N division is run by germans and has it's testing ground at the Nordschleife. Nothing american about that.

Last edited by GuidoK; Today at 11:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      Today, 11:00 AM   #10
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
In 10 years time, no ICE car is allowed to be sold in the EU and UK (and some other countries that participate).

That's a huge area with a lot of people far far exeeding the US.
If carmakers don't start experimenting with EV cars that are fun to drive in relation of what we now consider fun to drive (watch the end of the video, that guy has A LOT of experience on the nordschleife and spa), we'll all end up with very boring EV's come 2035.
This car is also probably more oriented for europe than the US.
It's probably no coincidence that Hyundai N division is run by germans and has it's testing ground at the nordschleife. Nothing american about that.
I'll stop commenting now, because I'm turning it into an EV thread
Appreciate 0
      Today, 11:22 AM   #11
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Quote:
I'll stop commenting now, because I'm turning it into an EV thread
We get that it isn't for you. Nothing wrong with that.
But the fact of the matter is, that a lot of people don't have a choice.
Not only in 2035, but also now.
Lots of people have a lease car for their job. Lots of companies here require that that lease car HAS to be EV.
So then it's pretty simple. If you're a car nut, you want to have the most fun EV.
That's at this moment probably this one and is still practical to use.
Or would you rather choose another one in this price range? Like a Model 3 performance (slightly cheaper) or a Polestar 2 with performance pack (about same price I think)

Repeating basically that it's not for you is not really helping the discussion. Comparing to what is available is.
Appreciate 1
gblansten2052.00