United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
The math doesn't work for me.
It's never about facts these days It's about clicks.
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2023, 12:23 PM   #4886
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
The math doesn't work for me. This is based on my previous daily commute of 80 miles to Herndon, which took about 1:45 per trip. My average MPH per tank was between 45 to 52 depending on traffic.

Rough numbers, but if the Uber driver drove 120,000/year, that's 10,000 miles a month, or 417 miles a day if he drove 24 days a month (6 days a week). Using 12 hours a day seat time that works out to 35 miles per hour average. That's 35 MPH constant speed for 12 hours a day. No 2x super charger time and no waiting for a fare call. No way an Uber driver has no down time and can drive in any major US city at a constant 35 MPH.

Bump the hours driven to 16 per day, that's an average 26 MPH. Closer to reality in big city driving. But still 26 MPH for 16 hours a day, 6 days a week. Then add in charging time and wait time between fares?

Nah.
I didn't buy the fact that operating his Model 3 would show any savings over his Camry. Heck, Hertz is seeing this now.

What I took from this situation is how even the most devout EV supporter admitted that there were issues with charging/range after 100k miles. And I also found it interesting that the "new" battery Tesla installed into his Model 3 didn't provide the same range as a full up new Model 3 rolling off the delivery truck and that Tesla would only provide a meager one year warranty.

Hence my statement at the end saying the guy still worships at the church of Tesla. Really drives home the cultish mindset that these people have.
Appreciate 4
M5Rick61282.50
KRS_SN13696.50
      11-06-2023, 05:48 PM   #4887
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Google’s 100% Electric Bus Loses Power, Causes Mayhem on San Francisco Slope
Google's Electric Bus Loses Power on Uphill Climb, Rolls Backward According to Newton's Law, Colliding with 9 vehicles on the way down. Castro Neighborhood.

https://twitter.com/darren_stallcup/...00-electric%2F

"The San Francisco Municipal Transit Authority (SFMTA) passed a resolution in 2018 to convert its bus fleet to 100% electric by 2035. The resolution requires SFMTA to begin purchasing 100% battery-electric buses (BEBs) starting by 2025."

What could possibly go wrong?
Appreciate 3
M5Rick61282.50
zx10guy5149.50
      11-06-2023, 05:55 PM   #4888
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post
Google’s 100% Electric Bus Loses Power, Causes Mayhem on San Francisco Slope
Google's Electric Bus Loses Power on Uphill Climb, Rolls Backward According to Newton's Law, Colliding with 9 vehicles on the way down. Castro Neighborhood.

https://twitter.com/darren_stallcup/...00-electric%2F

"The San Francisco Municipal Transit Authority (SFMTA) passed a resolution in 2018 to convert its bus fleet to 100% electric by 2035. The resolution requires SFMTA to begin purchasing 100% battery-electric buses (BEBs) starting by 2025."

What could possibly go wrong?
Just part of the San Fran shitshow.
Appreciate 3
KRS_SN13696.50
zx10guy5149.50
      11-06-2023, 06:22 PM   #4889
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
Just part of the San Fran shitshow.
Not open to new technologies that cost twice as much and double the probability of killing me.
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2023, 07:57 PM   #4890
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
I didn't buy the fact that operating his Model 3 would show any savings over his Camry. Heck, Hertz is seeing this now.

What I took from this situation is how even the most devout EV supporter admitted that there were issues with charging/range after 100k miles. And I also found it interesting that the "new" battery Tesla installed into his Model 3 didn't provide the same range as a full up new Model 3 rolling off the delivery truck and that Tesla would only provide a meager one year warranty.

Hence my statement at the end saying the guy still worships at the church of Tesla. Really drives home the cultish mindset that these people have.
Yes, cult; when the person can't see it for what it really is.

Example. On an EV forum thread I read this morning. The EV OP wrote with pride about his "Go-box". A Pelican case full of 5 or 6 plug adapters so he could plug his EV in practically anywhere, hotels, RV parks, amusement rides, private garages with welding circuits. Half a phone page of text on how great it was, his collection of plug adapters. It allows him to make numerous long distance trips across this great land of ours.

My thought was, jeeze dude, you all talk about the ease of EV ownership and charging, but you carry $500 of adapters in a Pelican case. I use a gasoline pump nozzle, anywhere in the USA. It's universal and ubiquitous.
Appreciate 6
M5Rick61282.50
KRS_SN13696.50
zx10guy5149.50
cmyx6go15806.50
      11-06-2023, 07:59 PM   #4891
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Not open to new technologies that cost twice as much and double the probability of killing me.
Like brakes?
Appreciate 1
      11-07-2023, 02:59 AM   #4892
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Yes, cult; when the person can't see it for what it really is.

Example. On an EV forum thread I read this morning. The EV OP wrote with pride about his "Go-box". A Pelican case full of 5 or 6 plug adapters so he could plug his EV in practically anywhere, hotels, RV parks, amusement rides, private garages with welding circuits. Half a phone page of text on how great it was, his collection of plug adapters. It allows him to make numerous long distance trips across this great land of ours.

My thought was, jeeze dude, you all talk about the ease of EV ownership and charging, but you carry $500 of adapters in a Pelican case. I use a gasoline pump nozzle, anywhere in the USA. It's universal and ubiquitous.
It's like eeny meeny miney mo, which one shall I choose today heheh
Appreciate 3
zx10guy5149.50
Efthreeoh17416.00
      11-07-2023, 07:14 AM   #4893
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

I enjoyed driving today my cult car that rolls back and kills people and burns to the ground. And while I have only ever used the Nema 14-50 to charge it in my garage and don't have a Pelican bag it is still immensely fun to run it around town. I will note that all ASPCA guidelines were followed and no animals were harmed on the way to work today.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17416.00
      11-07-2023, 09:47 AM   #4894
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
I enjoyed driving today my cult car that rolls back and kills people and burns to the ground. And while I have only ever used the Nema 14-50 to charge it in my garage and don't have a Pelican bag it is still immensely fun to run it around town. I will note that all ASPCA guidelines were followed and no animals were harmed on the way to work today.
Cool. How do you think it might work for you if you didn’t have a garage to park it in out of the elements and charge it? Say if you lived in Chicago and it was January and you only had street parking like at least half the cars in Chicago? Just curious about your thoughts on that situation.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

11-07-2023, 09:54 AM   #4895
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Cool. How do you think it might work for you if you didn’t have a garage to park it in out of the elements and charge it? Say if you lived in Chicago and it was January and you only had street parking like at least half the cars in Chicago? Just curious about your thoughts on that situation.
I have commented previously on that. I don't need or desire to solve Chicago's problems.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 10:05 AM   #4896
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Quote:
I enjoyed driving today my cult car that rolls back and kills people and burns to the ground. And while I have only ever used the Nema 14-50 to charge it in my garage and don't have a Pelican bag it is still immensely fun to run it around town.
I'm pleased for you. Your ability to ignore the environmental damage that is done in the construction and recycling of your EV is impressive. Maybe you will get a Christmas card from child labors in Democratic Republic of the Congo Cobalt mines when they get time to write.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick61282.50
      11-07-2023, 10:36 AM   #4897
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I'm pleased for you. Your ability to ignore the environmental damage that is done in the construction and recycling of your EV is impressive. Maybe you will get a Christmas card from child labors in Democratic Republic of the Congo Cobalt mines when they get time to write.
"As a reaction to the issues with artisanal cobalt mining in DR Congo a number of cobalt suppliers and their customers have formed the Fair Cobalt Alliance (FCA) which aims to end the use of child labor and to improve the working conditions of cobalt mining and processing in the DR Congo. Members of FCA include Zhejiang Huayou Cobalt, Sono Motors, the Responsible Cobalt Initiative, Fairphone, Glencore and Tesla, Inc.[1][2]

[1]"Tesla joins "Fair Cobalt Alliance" to improve DRC artisanal mining". mining-technology.com. September 8, 2020. Retrieved September 26, 2020.
[2]Klender, Joey (September 8, 2020). "Tesla joins Fair Cobalt Alliance in support of moral mining efforts". teslarati.com. Retrieved September 26, 2020."

wikipedia

https://www.faircobaltalliance.org/

Last edited by gblansten; 11-07-2023 at 11:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 01:41 PM   #4898
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I have commented previously on that. I don't need or desire to solve Chicago's problems.
Okay, then. You realize Chicago isn’t by any stretch of the imagination the only large U.S. city that is significantly inner city with roughly 50% street parking, right ? That’s one of the biggest issues for these kinds of cities. Winter is just a secondary issue. These issues are in no way “Chicago problems”.

11-07-2023, 01:44 PM   #4899
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
"As a reaction to the issues with artisanal cobalt mining in DR Congo a number of cobalt suppliers and their customers have formed the Fair Cobalt Alliance (FCA) which aims to end the use of child labor and to improve the working conditions of cobalt mining and processing in the DR Congo. Members of FCA include Zhejiang Huayou Cobalt, Sono Motors, the Responsible Cobalt Initiative, Fairphone, Glencore and Tesla, Inc.[1][2]

[1]"Tesla joins "Fair Cobalt Alliance" to improve DRC artisanal mining". mining-technology.com. September 8, 2020. Retrieved September 26, 2020.
[2]Klender, Joey (September 8, 2020). "Tesla joins Fair Cobalt Alliance in support of moral mining efforts". teslarati.com. Retrieved September 26, 2020."

wikipedia

https://www.faircobaltalliance.org/

11-07-2023, 01:51 PM   #4900
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Okay, then. You realize Chicago isn’t by any stretch of the imagination the only large U.S. city that is significantly inner city with roughly 50% street parking, right ? That’s one of the biggest issues for these kinds of cities. Winter is just a secondary issue. These issues are in no way “Chicago problems”.
This topic has arisen many many times and I have discussed it earlier. I just don't want to get recursive and keep looping back on the same nuances over and over again.
Appreciate 1
      11-07-2023, 02:02 PM   #4901
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
This topic has arisen many many times and I have discussed it earlier. I just don't want to get recursive and keep looping back on the same nuances over and over again.
But the reality is that most cities in NA and europe have the same issue with street parking and no access to overnight charging. The target market for EV owners is big cities, and one of the great stumbling blocks is no access to home charging because of street parking.
Appreciate 3
M5Rick61282.50
cmyx6go15806.50
Efthreeoh17416.00
      11-07-2023, 02:04 PM   #4902
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
But the reality is that most cities in NA and europe have the same issue with street parking and no access to overnight charging. The target market for EV owners is big cities, and one of the great stumbling blocks is no access to home charging because of street parking.
Don't disagree. Just not a topic I have added comments on.

Post#3672 was my last comment I think.

Last edited by gblansten; 11-07-2023 at 02:22 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-07-2023, 02:48 PM   #4903
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Cobalt isn’t the only mineral causing problems for the clean energy transition. Demand is booming for lithium, graphite, zinc, titanium, rare earth elements, and others—all necessary to make solar panels, wind turbines, batteries, magnets, and other key bits of clean tech. Almost all of these have been linked to corruption, labor, and environmental issues in their countries of origin.

David Sturmes, senior programs and operations director at the Impact Facility, the UK-based nonprofit that oversees the alliance, said it’s nearly impossible for a company with a need for cobalt to shake artisanal mining from its supply chain. Even if it were, cutting off artisanal miners means dealing a potentially devastating blow to local economies; in its 2019 sustainability report,

https://qz.com/1901367/can-tesla-hel...cobalt-problem

Sometimes it better to look like your solving the problem that it is to solve the problem.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick61282.50
      11-07-2023, 03:05 PM   #4904
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Cobalt isn’t the only mineral causing problems for the clean energy transition. Demand is booming for lithium, graphite, zinc, titanium, rare earth elements, and others—all necessary to make solar panels, wind turbines, batteries, magnets, and other key bits of clean tech. Almost all of these have been linked to corruption, labor, and environmental issues in their countries of origin.

David Sturmes, senior programs and operations director at the Impact Facility, the UK-based nonprofit that oversees the alliance, said it’s nearly impossible for a company with a need for cobalt to shake artisanal mining from its supply chain. Even if it were, cutting off artisanal miners means dealing a potentially devastating blow to local economies; in its 2019 sustainability report,

https://qz.com/1901367/can-tesla-hel...cobalt-problem

Sometimes it better to look like your solving the problem that it is to solve the problem.
Life is complicated. When someone needs a hip replacement I don't judge them for getting a cobalt chromium prosthetic. It is good to see companies try to mitigate bad situations and try to develop technology that might forego the need for less common materials like cobalt compounds.

There have been all sorts of efforts to reduce child labor in numerous areas like smart phone manufacture and textiles. None of us are pure. The world continues to evolve and I think reasonable work is being done to correct these legitimate concerns.
Appreciate 1
      11-07-2023, 05:04 PM   #4905
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Life is complicated. When someone needs a hip replacement I don't judge them for getting a cobalt chromium prosthetic. It is good to see companies try to mitigate bad situations and try to develop technology that might forego the need for less common materials like cobalt compounds.

There have been all sorts of efforts to reduce child labor in numerous areas like smart phone manufacture and textiles. None of us are pure. The world continues to evolve and I think reasonable work is being done to correct these legitimate concerns.
There are over a Billion cars on the planet. The impact to replace them all with EV's will be staggering with respect to the mining required to produce enough rare earth minerals. If there is even sufficient minerals to produce that many batteries and on going replacements vs about 1.5M knee & hip replacements in the US annually.

I'm not being difficult, just pointing out the magnitude to transition.
Appreciate 6
Lady Jane71840.00
kyriian889.00
Llarry16541.00
M5Rick61282.50
      11-07-2023, 05:06 PM   #4906
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
There are over a Billion cars on the planet. The impact to replace them all with EV's will be staggering with respect to the mining required to produce enough rare earth minerals. If there is even sufficient minerals to produce that many batteries and on going replacements vs about 1.5M knee & hip replacements in the US annually.

I'm not being difficult, just pointing out the magnitude to transition.
Let’s not replace all one billion. Let’s pace ourselves and innovate.
Appreciate 1
BigHunk269.50