BMW i5 and 5-Series Forum

07-17-2024, 09:29 PM   #1
jha96
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M8, 2019 Huracan Perf

Drove 530i through water

Drove my 2024 530i through about a foot or so of water briefly due to flash floods on the road. Anything to be concerned about or to look out for?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2024, 09:47 PM   #2
ToddRGuy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A5, 2025 BMW 540 -Ordered

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jha96 View Post
Drove my 2024 530i through about a foot or so of water briefly due to flash floods on the road. Anything to be concerned about or to look out for?
Oh dear. I'm really glad that you're safe. One foot of water can actually float some lighter weight vehicles, especially if it happens to be fast moving. I'm not that familiar with the placement of "parts" in BMWs, but at a minimum I'd recommend:
  • Checking all air filters for dampness
  • Checking your brakes
  • Checking fluids (engine oil, transmission fluid, brake fluid) for water contamination.
  • Perhaps check fuses for any sign of water?

Again, I don't know where a lot of these things are located on BMWs specifically but this list is pretty standard. Does it seem to be running okay? Have you noticed any unusual behavior after the event?
Appreciate 1
SkykingUSA2595.50
      07-17-2024, 10:05 PM   #3
jha96
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddRGuy View Post
Oh dear. I'm really glad that you're safe. One foot of water can actually float some lighter weight vehicles, especially if it happens to be fast moving. I'm not that familiar with the placement of "parts" in BMWs, but at a minimum I'd recommend:
  • Checking all air filters for dampness
  • Checking your brakes
  • Checking fluids (engine oil, transmission fluid, brake fluid) for water contamination.
  • Perhaps check fuses for any sign of water?

Again, I don't know where a lot of these things are located on BMWs specifically but this list is pretty standard. Does it seem to be running okay? Have you noticed any unusual behavior after the event?
Perhaps I’m grossly overestimating the depth of the water. I’ve driven through deeper water in my M8 (high enough to cover the front camera on the grille) and made it out okay. Unfortunately these situations are very hard to avoid in Houston…

No unusual behavior at all. Just read water can enter the transmission and differential, just unsure how likely that would be on a new car.
Appreciate 1
SkykingUSA2595.50
      07-17-2024, 10:11 PM   #4
ToddRGuy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A5, 2025 BMW 540 -Ordered

Garage List
Quote:
Perhaps I’m grossly overestimating the depth of the water. I’ve driven through deeper water in my M8 (high enough to cover the front camera on the grille) and made it out okay. Unfortunately these situations are very hard to avoid in Houston…

No unusual behavior at all. Just read water can enter the transmission and differential, just unsure how likely that would be on a new car.
I didn't see the Submarine Package listed in the configurator or any way to add the optional periscope.

Seriously, though I lived in Florida for a good while, and have been through some hurricanes. Flooded streets are unavoidable at times. Someone who has more knowledge of BMW mechanics will come along and chime in soon.
Appreciate 1
SkykingUSA2595.50
      07-17-2024, 10:16 PM   #5
RichardInCA
Captain
Rep
Drives: 24 BMW i5 M60

Garage List
It’s another RTFM moment

Seriously - if you look at this sticky, there’s a section in the manual under “driving through water”

https://g60.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2060933

You’ve got just under 10” water permission from BMW so sounds like you might have been OK
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
ToddRGuy1469.50
SkykingUSA2595.50
LVBMW2364.00
      07-18-2024, 01:27 AM   #6
SkykingUSA
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 i5 eDrive40

Garage List
Quote:
You should definitely look out for any free fish that might have gotten caught on the undercarriage.

Glad that you're probably ok based on other posts.
2024 i5 eDrive40 / Vegas Red / Black Veganza / Dark Oak Gloss Trim with Dark Silv Acc / Premium Package / M Sport Package / M Sport Pro Package / Driving Assistance Pro Package / Luxury Seating Package / 19" 936 M Aero Wheels NonRFT

Appreciate 1
ToddRGuy1469.50
      07-18-2024, 12:46 PM   #7
jha96
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkykingUSA View Post
You should definitely look out for any free fish that might have gotten caught on the undercarriage.

Glad that you're probably ok based on other posts.
Thanks, it's obvious no water made it into the engine or electrical system, but was most concerned about transmission as I don't know how sealed these are, and issues may not manifest until later.
Appreciate 1
SkykingUSA2595.50