ToddRGuy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A5, 2025 BMW 540 -Ordered

Garage List
G60 Valet Mode

Hi Folks,

I read some information regarding Valet Mode and what features it shuts down when enabled. I can't seem to locate any information on whether or not BMW has geofencing capabilities.

On my Audi, I could set a geofence perimeter around the car's parked location, and would get notifications via the app if the vehicle exited the fenced area along with periodic notifications about its speed.

Is this available?
Appreciate 1
Scrapula4165.50
      07-14-2024, 06:18 PM   #2
SkykingUSA
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 i5 eDrive40

Garage List
I don't think that's available, but if the security alarm is on, you should get some type of notification if the car is moved, along with pictures from the cameras.

I think Valet mode basically keeps your personal settings safe and prevent anyone from change it. Should be in the manual. If someone else doesn't send a reference in the manual, I'll try to do it later when I have more time.
2024 i5 eDrive40 / Vegas Red / Black Veganza / Dark Oak Gloss Trim with Dark Silv Acc / Premium Package / M Sport Package / M Sport Pro Package / Driving Assistance Pro Package / Luxury Seating Package / 19" 936 M Aero Wheels NonRFT

Appreciate 2
ToddRGuy1469.50
Scrapula4165.50
      07-14-2024, 07:39 PM   #3
ToddRGuy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A5, 2025 BMW 540 -Ordered

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkykingUSA View Post
I don't think that's available, but if the security alarm is on, you should get some type of notification if the car is moved, along with pictures from the cameras.

I think Valet mode basically keeps your personal settings safe and prevent anyone from change it. Should be in the manual. If someone else doesn't send a reference in the manual, I'll try to do it later when I have more time.
Thank you! The reason why I ask: A few years ago I was doing weekly outpatient chemotherapy. Given the unpredictable nature of Bay Area traffic, there were times when I would arrive "just in time" for my appointment, and elected to valet park.

I came back out from my treatment, and had my car brought around to go home. Somewhat surprising, but when I sat down in my Audi A5, I immediately noticed a few things were different. The car was in "Dynamic Mode" and the traction control was turned off. In the Audi, you'd have to physically hold down Traction Control for about 3-5 seconds to turn it off. And the only way to get into dynamic mode, would be to flip through a few choices in the drive mode.

Now trust me, I remember what it was like to be an early 20-something and the temptation of doing not-well-thought-out things. But I wasn't overly amused for a few reasons. 1) This was valet parking at a Cancer Center 2) It likely was happening to other patients 3) Noone should have to worry that someone is out tearing around in their M5 while they're sitting there getting a chemo infusion 4) As a healthcare professional who worked for the same organization, I wanted to protect their standing and reputation in the community.

After that, I geofenced my car every time I had to valet. I did make some select phone calls after the incident and was assured that all people on duty would receive an "educational opportunity". It never happened again, and I'm sure whichever kid that did it, probably was having a nervous moment when they were sat down for that talk.
Appreciate 3
SkykingUSA2595.50
Scrapula4165.50
Ossian355.50
      07-14-2024, 08:40 PM   #4
SkykingUSA
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Here is the reference I was looking for: bottom of page 90 in the owners manual:
Valet parking mode

Principle
In the valet parking mode, the control display is disabled.
E.g., this mode can be used when the vehicle is handed over for valet parking

General information
Depending on the national-market version, the valet parking mode may not be available.

Valet Parking mode has the following restrictions:
▷ Vehicle settings cannot be changed via iDrive.
▷ Settings stored to a BMW ID or guest profile cannot be changed.
▷ Personal data cannot be displayed.
▷ The volume of the audio system is limited.
▷ Dynamic Stability Control cannot be turned off.
▷ The availability of certain settings of the driving modes is limited.
The only time I ever used it so far, was the wrong time. I turned it on before leaving it with my window tint guy and I got a call later saying that they were unable to turn off the A/C, and didn't want to try applying the tinting with the A/C running because it is likely to blow dust under the tint. I agreed and took it out of valet mode for him. I suppose it is truly best used when just valet parking, or when you want the care to allow very limited changes.
2024 i5 eDrive40 / Vegas Red / Black Veganza / Dark Oak Gloss Trim with Dark Silv Acc / Premium Package / M Sport Package / M Sport Pro Package / Driving Assistance Pro Package / Luxury Seating Package / 19" 936 M Aero Wheels NonRFT

Appreciate 2
ToddRGuy1469.50
Scrapula4165.50
      07-14-2024, 09:59 PM   #5
scas12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi SQ5, i5 M60

Also, if you want to use it you must have your physical key fob not just the digital key.
Appreciate 2
SkykingUSA2595.50
ToddRGuy1469.50
      07-14-2024, 10:03 PM   #6
LVBMW
Major
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60 '23 Tesla Model Y-P

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by scas12 View Post
Also, if you want to use it you must have your physical key fob not just the digital key.
I don’t think you need the key fob to use valet mode. At least I never have needed it. You can give the plastic credit card key to the valet.
Appreciate 2
SkykingUSA2595.50
ToddRGuy1469.50
      07-15-2024, 01:16 AM   #7
BMW5151
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550i /2020 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
2022 M550ix  [10.00]
Doesn't the Valet Mode also lock out the trunk from access? I generally don't need to bother with my G30, as in almost 3 years, only had to let a valet park it once. I've had some bad luck with damage (bumpers) by valets here in the LA area.
ToddRGuy1469.50
      07-15-2024, 02:07 AM   #8
SkykingUSA
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW5151 View Post
Doesn't the Valet Mode also lock out the trunk from access? I generally don't need to bother with my G30, as in almost 3 years, only had to let a valet park it once. I've had some bad luck with damage (bumpers) by valets here in the LA area.
I believe you can set it up that way. Page 91 of the users manual:
Activating the valet parking mode
1. Apps menu
2. "Vehicle"
3. "System settings"
4. "Valet parking mode"
5. "Lock tailgate"
The cargo area is locked and disconnected from the central locking system.
6. If necessary, "PIN"
If the active BMW ID does not have an assigned PIN, this PIN must be set now. The PIN is needed to deactivate the valet parking mode.
7. If necessary, enter the PIN.
8. "Activate valet parking mode"

I have not tested it, but I wonder if you can access the trunk by dropping the back seat center section from within the cabin when in Valet mode? You would think that they also locked that function too. Maybe you can test it and report back.

Appreciate 2
ToddRGuy1469.50