BMW i5 and 5-Series Forum

05-08-2024, 09:33 AM   #23
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

Here's what I have used... It's great, works well and is easily refillable. I use it for final rinse only! Nothing flashy, but it works!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07H8...b_b_asin_title
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 10:01 AM   #24
Team Tonka
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 xDrive Comp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooolone2 View Post
Here's what I have used... It's great, works well and is easily refillable. I use it for final rinse only! Nothing flashy, but it works!

I like the cost - but looking for something a bit more mobile - like on wheels or something.

The Adam's Polish version they sell looks ideal. But isn't cheap....
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 10:04 AM   #25
Team Tonka
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

I was hoping to try something more in-line with my garden hose set-up for car washing. Similar to this concept:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CBJZ4238...WxfdGhlbWF0aWM
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 12:17 PM   #26
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by loochy View Post
Really? I just gently empty out as much water as I can and then I just flip the container upside down and dump the rest into a plastic trash bag.
If you were just tossing them out, no big deal but I refresh my own resin. Aside from the tubes popping out I guess it's a me problem
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 12:19 PM   #27
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Tonka View Post
I was hoping to try something more in-line with my garden hose set-up for car washing. Similar to this concept:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CBJZ4238...WxfdGhlbWF0aWM
Keep in mind the water output and volume of resin in the option you choose. Garden hose water could overwhelm those small filters and it'd be filtered water but not spot free.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 01:30 PM   #28
Team Tonka
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie View Post
Keep in mind the water output and volume of resin in the option you choose. Garden hose water could overwhelm those small filters and it'd be filtered water but not spot free.
I was thinking in terms more of a pre-filter prior to going into a de-ionized system....hopefully to save on how often the resin needs to be replenished.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 01:41 PM   #29
Team Tonka
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

How long is it lasting until your TDS gets too high and leaves water spots? Are you just buying new filters on Amazon or re-charging the resin or refilling the resin yourself (if even possible)?

Trying to see if I could make this work - price is good for testing out! Reviews don't seem great, like the water dribbles out of the hose and maybe only shoots out a few feet at most??
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 01:45 PM   #30
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How long is it lasting until your TDS gets too high and leaves water spots? Are you just buying new filters on Amazon or re-charging the resin or refilling the resin yourself (if even possible)?

Trying to see if I could make this work - price is good for testing out!
I can usually wash for a year with my setup washing my sedan once a week while only rinsing with DI. I also had sediment and carbon prefilters but have been exploring an RO system with 30 gallon reservoir.

I chemically refresh to resin myself and chemicals are <$15 per refresh. There's extensive articles on how to do this in the aquarium community.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 11:15 AM   #31
loochy
I like to eat eat eat apples and bananas
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Comp, 2016 M2, 2021 X5

Quote:
I like the cost - but looking for something a bit more mobile - like on wheels or something.

The Adam's Polish version they sell looks ideal. But isn't cheap....
I strapped mine down to a furniture dolly with some steel strapping and some screws and added quick connects for quick connecting between the water source and my power washer. It doesn't look all clean and fancy like some of these setups but it's quite functional.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 11:50 AM   #32
sharkymcpeterson
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05

I had a whole home filter and water softener installed today, anyone have experience with this? Specifically wondering if you’ve seen any improvement with regard to water spots.

Anyone know how comparable the filtration and softener is to the results you’d get from a deionizer?

Thanks for any feedback.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 12:53 PM   #33
Team Tonka
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I have both and have since we built our home 13yrs ago.

They won't help your water spots much at all IMO! I would also argue depending on the quality of your well or city water, the whole house filter should be changed every month....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkymcpeterson View Post
I had a whole home filter and water softener installed today, anyone have experience with this? Specifically wondering if you’ve seen any improvement with regard to water spots.

Anyone know how comparable the filtration and softener is to the results you’d get from a deionizer?

Thanks for any feedback.

Last edited by Team Tonka; 05-09-2024 at 01:07 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2024, 12:56 PM   #34
Team Tonka
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I'm leaning towards these options:

https://www.amazon.com/Waterdrop-Spo...s%2C241&sr=8-5

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...YB3ZZHGKL&th=1

This guy has tons of good videos:
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 03:58 PM   #35
whofelt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340ix

You would be surprised what your local car detail stores have in stock, mine charges$230 for DI tank that lasts 400-500gallons and $65 to swap it out with a new tank
      05-09-2024, 04:10 PM   #36
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Considering a de-ionized car wash kit for the final rinse to greatly reduce water spots.

I'd like something mobile on a cart preferably - ease of moving around is my intent.

I haven't found much out there except the two below, they aren't cheap, nor are replacing the filters/resin which concerns me on how long they will truly last until the filter/resin is depleted. I like that they both have a TDS meter/sensor.

What have others found that work?

https://www.amazon.com/CR-Spotless-D...zcF9hdGY&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Filterelated-...63b24bcb5&th=1
I do rinseless wash and use ZeroWater filtered water for the pre-spray in a pump sprayer. Tap for the bucket. End up with zero spots even in direct sun.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 05:43 AM   #37
Shopia
Registered
Rep
Drives: M135i

De-ionized Car Wash Kit for Spot-Free Rinses:

I hear you completely. Hard water spots can be a real pain, and a de-ionized (DI) car wash kit can be a game-changer for achieving that flawless, spot-free rinse. Here's what I can offer based on your points:

Mobile DI Systems on Carts:

You're right; mobile DI systems on carts are ideal for easy maneuvering around your driveway or garage. While the two options you found might seem expensive upfront, let's explore some reasons why they might be worth considering:

Water Spot Elimination: Effective DI systems deliver excellent results, minimizing the need for excessive drying and buffing to remove water spots. This saves time and effort in the long run.

Filter/Resin Replacement Costs: While replacing filters and resin can add to the cost, the overall lifespan of these components can be significant (often hundreds or even thousands of gallons of treated water) depending on your water quality and usage.

TDS Meter Advantage: Having a TDS meter is a valuable tool. It allows you to monitor the effectiveness of the DI resin and know when it's time for replacement.
Finding the Right System:

Here are some tips to help you find a suitable mobile DI system:

Research Brands and Reviews: Look for reputable brands specializing in car care and DI filtration systems. Read online reviews from other car enthusiasts to get insights into real-world experiences.
Consider System Capacity: Think about how much water you typically use for a car wash and choose a system with a resin capacity that meets your needs. This helps minimize the frequency of resin replacement.
Portability Features: Pay attention to features like cart weight, wheel size, and hose length to ensure easy movement around your washing area.

Exploring Alternatives (if budget is a major concern):

DIY Options: There are some DIY DI filter setups available online. However, these often require more technical knowledge and might not offer the same level of convenience or portability as pre-built mobile systems.

Spot Treatment Products: While not as effective as a full DI rinse, some water spot removal products can help minimize minor hard water blemishes. These can be a temporary solution until you invest in a DI system.

Ultimately, the best choice depends on your budget and priorities. If achieving a flawless, spot-free rinse is essential, a mobile DI system might be a worthwhile investment despite the upfront cost. If budget is a major concern, explore DIY options or consider water spot removal products as a temporary solution.

Additionally, Azautodetailing specializes in professional car detailing services, they might be able to offer some insights or recommendations on mobile DI systems. It wouldn't hurt to reach out to them and see if they have any experience with these setups or can point you in the right direction.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 12:23 PM   #38
Team Tonka
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I ordered the Waterdrop to give it a try....

Appreciate 0
      Today, 01:46 PM   #39
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I ordered the Waterdrop to give it a try....

Are you running it with a pressure washer? Looks like there's GPM issues even with the bypass limiting you to 1GPM.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 01:58 PM   #40
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by loochy View Post
It is actually pretty simple. You buy the DI housing, which is basically like a big water filter. You either fill it up with a premade cartridge or you just pour in resin from a bag (if you did the tube mod) every 10 washings or so (depending on your water hardness).
every 10 washings? maybe i'm lazy, but i dont want to be emptying out the resin every few months. I thought it was good for 50 washes?