BMW i5 and 5-Series Forum

04-06-2024, 10:39 AM   #1
artooks
Rep
Drives: BMW 3.20 ED

Considering buying i5 eDrive 40 vs i5 M60 X Drive

Hİ,

I am a long BMW user, my current car is 2013 BMW 3.20 ED. These days I decided to change my car, I am having hard time convincing myself to take the electric route, but in my case, I can install wallbox to my home and work, which will make it easy for me in the city, but from time to time, I travel 200-300 km. Last week I visited a BMW dealer here in Turkey and check out the new i5, my god it is just like a spaceship compared to my car, it looks a little bit big for a sedan but I liked it, today I went for a test ride, everything is too smooth no noise at all, no revving like a petrol car, just a continues gradual speed increase.
after I saw the i5 M60 X Drive that is another beast, so I am in the middle right now, I really like the look of that car, but at the same time I really need efficiency and long range if I think about this, then eDrive40 is a better option, I want to know what is the real life range for that car, and at what speed, can I easily make 450km with a single charge, and what about the same for M60 how do they compare, I know that M is best for fast usage but if it lowers the battery and range to 300 km then that could be a problem. So what is your opinion on this and to finish would you consider an İX for longer range I think 650 km.
Appreciate 4
Scrapula2911.50
SkykingUSA1461.50
Slyslap54.50
      04-06-2024, 12:34 PM   #2
Scrapula
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW i5 M60

The range is an issue when the weather is cold. I will convert my units for Europe. I have an i5 M60. Weather here has been about 4C and worst case I get 350km. But on days when it is warmer like 15C that goes up to 400km. When summer is here, it will be even better.

But, you cannot drive your car to 0%. On those days you drive more, is there a fast DC charger on your route? A quick 15 minute charge would get you enough,
Appreciate 3
SkykingUSA1461.50
Slyslap54.50
      04-06-2024, 01:43 PM   #3
bmw_maniac
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i5

You can’t go wrong with the eDrive 40. It is plenty fast with the added benefit of more range. I have been consuming around 24 kWh/100 km in the winter with 0-5 degrees Celsius, that’s about a range of 350km.
Appreciate 3
SkykingUSA1461.50
Slyslap54.50
      04-06-2024, 02:13 PM   #4
artooks
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_maniac View Post
You can’t go wrong with the eDrive 40. It is plenty fast with the added benefit of more range. I have been consuming around 24 kWh/100 km in the winter with 0-5 degrees Celsius, that’s about a range of 350km.
Do you think it is too big for a sedan now, I can see that the new 5 Series gone quite big but I really like it, how was your transition to EV are you happy with it what is the advantages and disadvantages.
Appreciate 2
      04-06-2024, 02:17 PM   #5
artooks
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapula View Post
The range is an issue when the weather is cold. I will convert my units for Europe. I have an i5 M60. Weather here has been about 4C and worst case I get 350km. But on days when it is warmer like 15C that goes up to 400km. When summer is here, it will be even better.

But, you cannot drive your car to 0%. On those days you drive more, is there a fast DC charger on your route? A quick 15 minute charge would get you enough,
Hi,

We have many DC chargers all around that is not a problem, the thing is I have made some calculations between my home and work is 70 km ( 44 miles) and I will have a wallbox in both places so I guess I will not be needing a dc charger in the city, the only thing made me think is the long range, apart from that everything seems to be ok, how is your M60 I am also considering it, but still going in between Edrive 40 and M60 the only thing apart from the price is the range and consumption, but 350 is a good one especially for a Car like M60 how is your experience up until now, what is the advantages and disadvantages ?
Appreciate 3
SkykingUSA1461.50
Scrapula2911.50
      04-06-2024, 03:02 PM   #6
digriz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: i5 M60 Carbon Black

I may be a bit too pragmatic, but here is a thought (for what it’s worth…)

Regardless of whether you choose the eDrive 40 or M60, taking a longer trip with an electric car requires a bit more planning than a corresponding ICE car. Charging at home and at work is a great way to ensure you don’t need to worry about your regular commute, but for a longer journey, making plans is still needed because range varies quite a bit and there is little assurance that you will always manage to have the range you need. Even cars with longer range are subject to degradation, temperature swings, weather, and more, which can greatly reduce range. This is a downside of electric cars, at least for now, because it is harder to find a charge point than a gas station. We are just at the beginning of electrification for cars, so it is still an unfavorable comparison with gas-powered cars. For me, I was more than willing to take the plunge because driving an electric car - especially an i5 - is exhilarating, liberating, empowering, and rewarding.

I look forward to the opening of Tesla superchargers to BMW, and the increase in other competing charge points. But for now I’ll gladly spend some time planning and charging to enjoy such a great car. It feels a bit like making a flight plan for a small plane…
Appreciate 3
SkykingUSA1461.50
Slyslap54.50
      04-06-2024, 03:21 PM   #7
artooks
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by digriz View Post
I may be a bit too pragmatic, but here is a thought (for what it’s worth…)

Regardless of whether you choose the eDrive 40 or M60, taking a longer trip with an electric car requires a bit more planning than a corresponding ICE car. Charging at home and at work is a great way to ensure you don’t need to worry about your regular commute, but for a longer journey, making plans is still needed because range varies quite a bit and there is little assurance that you will always manage to have the range you need. Even cars with longer range are subject to degradation, temperature swings, weather, and more, which can greatly reduce range. This is a downside of electric cars, at least for now, because it is harder to find a charge point than a gas station. We are just at the beginning of electrification for cars, so it is still an unfavorable comparison with gas-powered cars. For me, I was more than willing to take the plunge because driving an electric car - especially an i5 - is exhilarating, liberating, empowering, and rewarding.

I look forward to the opening of Tesla superchargers to BMW, and the increase in other competing charge points. But for now I’ll gladly spend some time planning and charging to enjoy such a great car. It feels a bit like making a flight plan for a small plane…
Yes you are absolutely right, even they tell us that the car has 500-550 km range, it can differ greatly with temperature, wind, the way the driver drives the car, also I have been reading in the forums that BMW is also investing in Hydrogen cars, I do not know how then it will effect the Electric cars, looks like the competition between blu-ray and hd-dvd I have given a lot of thought I do not want to use a petrol car anymore.
Appreciate 4
SkykingUSA1461.50
digriz153.00
Scrapula2911.50
      04-06-2024, 03:28 PM   #8
bmw_maniac
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i5

Quote:
Originally Posted by artooks View Post
Do you think it is too big for a sedan now, I can see that the new 5 Series gone quite big but I really like it, how was your transition to EV are you happy with it what is the advantages and disadvantages.
It is quite big, especially in Europe where parking spots and streets are smaller / narrower in general as compared to the US. You have to be someone who does not mind driving a car that is over 5m in length.

I moved from ICE to EV in 2015 on a Tesla Model S and have never looked back.
Appreciate 4
LVBMW1562.50
SkykingUSA1461.50
      04-07-2024, 01:32 AM   #9
RichardInCA
Captain
Rep
Drives: 24 BMW i5 M60

Check out the ArenaEV range model in this post - they did some real world range testing with the M60 and created a model that you can use to vary speed and temperature to study impact on range. I’ve been getting a steady 275mi/442km range or so from my M60

https://g60.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...hlight=Arenaev
Appreciate 4
LVBMW1562.50
SkykingUSA1461.50
Scrapula2911.50
Slyslap54.50
      04-07-2024, 12:19 PM   #10
Scrapula
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW i5 M60

Yes, my i5 M60 is huge but it is tiny compared to my husband’s Lightning. It drives smaller and has a good turning radius. It takes 3 tries to get the Lightning into a parking spot.

The longer wheelbase gives it a comfortable ride. It’s great for commuting and longer drives. I went with the M60 because AWD was a must where I live. Fast chargers are abundant in my area. Tesla actually has less chargers here when you combine the others. Eventually we will have access to that, and Ionna is just ramping up to build their network. Finding a charger will be a complete non-issue in 5 years.
Appreciate 2
Slyslap54.50
SkykingUSA1461.50