G35c6MT
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i5 M60

i5 M60 vs Tesla Plaid

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
My loaded i5 M60 is $2K more than a loaded Tesla Plaid. 590hp vs 1020hp.

I know it’s not all about the HP but this is really making my decision to keep the M60 difficult. And if I compare to a Model S LR the price difference is $15K.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2023, 10:52 PM   #2
cpt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '24 BMW i5 M60

Model S is a great car. Definitely a better value proposition if you can look past the fact that it's essentially an 11 year old model.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2023, 11:04 AM   #3
scottjays
Starfleet Command
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Tesla quality both int and ext is trash. every Tesla I've ever been near you can see panel gaps, fit finish quality is garbarge. I can't past that plus no Carplay is deal breaker for me.
      09-12-2023, 12:13 PM   #4
DHDCF
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Stealth Wrapped FDG I5 M60

If you're a power fiend then yea. Sick. That power is just....insane. I'd be curious how the system sounds to ME but wouldn't be a deal breaker. Its look is ok at best. Inside and out. Obviously win w range. The color choices are extremely limited and think they've been the same for all of their models. I also think just about everyone I see anymore in one has it stealth wrapped; makes sense to do that.

My sister has a plaid and loves the thing. She puts a sht ton of miles on it and couldn't be happier w it.

When I saw the new prices I certainly thought about it a bit but every time I buy an other-than-bmw ride, I ALWAYS end up regretting it. For me, the i5 m60 it is.

Oh and this is where it's appropriate for dudes to reference a dashboard/display as iPads. Those calling BMWs' iPads are seriously trolling.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2023, 03:47 PM   #5
G35c6MT
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i5 M60

All valid points. My brother and cousin both have Plaids and my friend has a LR. I’m coming out of an M550 LCI which would’ve been a tough decision to lease 3 yrs ago had the Plaid been discounted so much back then.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2023, 08:18 PM   #6
bmwterp
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW I5M60

I just ordered a Model S Plaid last week after looking for a couple of months. I decided to take advantage of Telsa last huge discount that dropped a couple of weeks ago.

Obviously, I have never driven an I5 but I own an M550 and I have driven the Plaid a number of times. Really, the differences should be pretty obvious. If you drive a Plaid or even a regular Model S and you are familiar with BMWs, you'll easily see the difference.

BMW is a better car. Its refined, more comfortable, and has great tech. The Plaid is more like driving an iPhone. For me it came down to one thing...The charging network. Tesla's supercharger network is fantastic. EA and public chargers suck. If the I5 range was over 350, I would have pulled the trigger. But, not worth dealing with range anxiety. Also, I don't trust that we'll see Tesla opening up enough chargers to make a difference.

But, I don't trash either one. They compete but are very different.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2023, 01:33 AM   #7
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Seen it written somewhere before that Tesla are a software company building cars , bmw are a company building cars with software.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 05:23 AM   #8
paprmkr
BMW Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: 2024 i5 M60 w/M-Performance ki

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjays View Post
Tesla quality both int and ext is trash. every Tesla I've ever been near you can see panel gaps, fit finish quality is garbarge. I can't past that plus no Carplay is deal breaker for me.
Painted car many years and yes body panels are terrible. Interior simple like 1982 Toyota Tercel
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 05:29 AM   #9
paprmkr
BMW Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: 2024 i5 M60 w/M-Performance ki

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwterp View Post
I just ordered a Model S Plaid last week after looking for a couple of months. I decided to take advantage of Telsa last huge discount that dropped a couple of weeks ago.

Obviously, I have never driven an I5 but I own an M550 and I have driven the Plaid a number of times. Really, the differences should be pretty obvious. If you drive a Plaid or even a regular Model S and you are familiar with BMWs, you'll easily see the difference.

BMW is a better car. Its refined, more comfortable, and has great tech. The Plaid is more like driving an iPhone. For me it came down to one thing...The charging network. Tesla's supercharger network is fantastic. EA and public chargers suck. If the I5 range was over 350, I would have pulled the trigger. But, not worth dealing with range anxiety. Also, I don't trust that we'll see Tesla opening up enough chargers to make a difference.

I driven my i4 35k miles. Never had issues with charging. When I start charging at home never be issue. Traveling I see lots of Tesla charging but also long lines. Plus I’m old so never in hurry so no range anxiety. I travel with fur babies so have to stop at least 1.5-2 hours when on road. I wish hotels would offer level 2 charging.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2023, 10:26 PM   #10
Jagu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 750i Xdrive-Loaded

Home charging is the solution to range anxiety. I drive 70 miles a day and my Taycan only has a 230 mile range but I have no anxiety because I charge at home everyday. I don’t travel out of town much but If I do, I will plan it.
      09-19-2023, 12:23 PM   #11
DBV1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5d 2021 Tesla S

Quote:

I am really disappointed in the range of the i5. It should be 400 and over. If it would have been, I would be buying one. But no way would I buy one with the current range for how much I travel and then have to use none Tesla chargers.

Upcoming Audi A6 EV is supposed to have over 400 miles of range and then that will be a true Model S or Lucid Air competitor.

BMW would be good if all you do is stay local and don’t travel much.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2023, 12:34 PM   #12
MikeElmendorf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5/2024 i5 M60

DBV - Could not agree more. I’d consider the i5 M60 especially now that the deals have gotten better—but it simply will not work for me with that limited range and the lack of ultra-fast chargers.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2023, 06:05 AM   #13
bmwterp
Private
Rep

Anyone see that Tesla opened up a few more superchargers outside of NY for non-Telsa cars?

I think the I5 is compatible...Right?

Just curious if anyone else knows more about this? I have a Plaid coming in but would prefer an I5 if I could use Telsa's network.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2023, 03:29 PM   #14
Scrapula
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW i5 M60

Quote:
Anyone see that Tesla opened up a few more superchargers outside of NY for non-Telsa cars?

I think the I5 is compatible...Right?

Just curious if anyone else knows more about this? I have a Plaid coming in but would prefer an I5 if I could use Telsa's network.
They are not compatible. If a car manufacturer switches to the Tesla charger, you can use the non-Tesla chargers. The Superchargers are only Tesla as they need to communicate with the vehicle. You could probably use an adapter with the i5 to the non-Tesla superchargers.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2023, 09:22 AM   #15
rereynol
Rep
Drives: Audi A4

The HP difference doesn’t matter to me. I would never need to go zero to sixty faster than 3.7 seconds anyway. The range + recharging network goes to Tesla easily, but that would only be an issue for me a couple of times a year. Everything else goes to BMW: 1. Exterior styling. 2. Interior styling. 3. Interior material quality. 4. Cabin noise. 5. Build quality. 6. Service support. and 7. Handling. Overall, the enjoyment factor is much higher for me with the BMW over the Tesla.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2023, 10:01 AM   #16
bmwterp
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rereynol View Post
The HP difference doesn’t matter to me. I would never need to go zero to sixty faster than 3.7 seconds anyway. The range + recharging network goes to Tesla easily, but that would only be an issue for me a couple of times a year. Everything else goes to BMW: 1. Exterior styling. 2. Interior styling. 3. Interior material quality. 4. Cabin noise. 5. Build quality. 6. Service support. and 7. Handling. Overall, the enjoyment factor is much higher for me with the BMW over the Tesla.
Don't disagree. Although, the Tesla looks pretty good to. Plus, the hatchback makes it a bit more practical.

However, that range and SC networks is HUGE if you ever plan to make long drives. The non-supercharger network is just horrible. With a Tesla you basically don't ever have to worry in taking a long drive.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2023, 10:18 AM   #17
sitcom323
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘23 i7 xDrive60

I know this is the i5 forum, but we recently had this exact discussion at home when my dealer called with an absolutely insane deal on an i7 xDrive60. It turns out they were offering $16,000 off the i7 which ended up leasing out at the exact same payment as our X7 xDrive40, even though it was a $35,000 more expensive car. It got us thinking and we quickly explored leasing options for Lucid as well as a Tesla Model S, and realized that the least deals have dropped like crazy on those vehicles. So, like you, it was BMW or something else.

We ended up staying with the BMW family and absolutely love the luxury of what we call our Baby Ghost.

GONE: 2022 X7, 2019 750i, 2016 M4 Competition, 2014 550i, 2008 335i, 2005 MINI Cooper S, 2002 X5 3.0, 1999 328i
Appreciate 3
Scrapula2835.00
      10-02-2023, 10:42 AM   #18
Gautam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M550

Garage List
2018 BMW M550i  [0.00]
The Tesla model s is a revolutionary car that deserves a lot of respect. That said, it was already aging 5+ years ago. I unironically would probably take my m550i over a plaid. I originally cross shopped my 5er against the model s of the day. They weren’t even close. Comfort, convenience, even features, the 5 completely blew the Tesla away. Didn’t even need to start either car up, just sitting in them was obvious. The only advantages to speak of were the blistering speed (I rented a p100d for the weekend) and the cargo space.

There’s a reason why Tesla is slashing prices on them so hard. No one really needs all that speed. Unless you live at a drag strip, the acceleration is so, so far beyond even what’s needed to be exhilarating. Double the 0-60 , halve the hp, for all I care, and increase the polish. That’s what I’ll actually notice and care about 99% of the time I spend in the car.
Appreciate 3
Scrapula2835.00
sitcom323119.50