BMW i5 and 5-Series Forum

09-03-2023, 01:04 PM   #1
Han4mi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

DIY PPF (my experience)

Some of you have probably considered doing PPF on your precious BMW, but were thrown off by the cost (myself included). I'm happy to report that this can actually be done by yourself for a fraction of the cost.

I really wanted a full stealth wrap on my brooklyn grey m4, but the quotes from local shops were around 5k USD, which is a lot of money. Don't get me wrong - it takes a lot of time and knowledge to get this done right and you probably won't get the same results by doing it yourself, but if you're not looking for perfection, have some spare time (and a secondary vehicle, as you won't be able to use your car for a considerable amount of time) then give it a shot!

It took my around 50h in total to wrap the whole car, not uncluding the time I spent on educating myself (you need to watch YT videos).

The total cost was around 700 USD. 20 meters of matte PPF, 2m of clear PPF and tools included. The width of the film used was 1,52m.

Some tips for beginners, which I found really helpful:

1. Start with cleaning your car. Not just normal everyday cleaning, full decontamination, clay bar, etc. The paint needs to be as perfect as possible. I used Car Pro Reset on each panel before applying PPF, it gets rid of any left over waxes etc.

2. Do not try to apply PPF to a ceramic coated car. It won't stick. You need to polish the car first if you have it. I made this mistake, wasted a piece of fender film and had to do a 1 step paint correction before moving forward.

3. If you are going to apply clear PPF, don't bother with removing badges, lights etc, if you don't feel comfortable with doing so. It's not that difficult and there are tutorials for everything, so I did it for my install (matte PPF changes the look of the paint so I wanted a nice looking install). When removing stuff make sure to get some plastic tools and blue tape to protect your paint.

4. I don't reccomend removing door handles. The YT tutorials aren't very specific and I ended up dropping one of the screws into the door. I will not go into specifics, but the whole door had to be disassembled and it was still a PITA to get it out.

5. You can use a pencil and painters tape to create shapes so you don't have to cut on the car (badges, door handles, etc). You simply put the tape around the object, draw the lines, transfer them to PPF, and cut before applying.

6. Watch tutorials before applying PPF to a specific element. It doesn't have to be a BMW. Most of the same rules apply to specific parts of a vehicle when wrapping. This is very important and you don't want to end up with fingers (excess PPF around the edges). This cannot be fixed if you screw up and use the wrong technique. The front/rear bumpers and trunk are especially difficult (you need to stretch the PPF quite a lot). Ask someone for help when stretching, it gets a lot easier.

7. Learn about slip and tack solutions. I used around 2 drops of baby shampoo per liter for slip and 20% alcohol/80% water for tack. Don't screw this up, it can ruin your install.

8. Use a heat gun or hair dryer to seal the edges and help with difficult parts of the car (the front bumper). The film sticks to the paint very well once heated.

9. Make sure to remove all of the water when squeeging. Don't worry if you find some bubbles later, you can use a needle to pop them and get the water out. Lifting the film once it had time to cure will cause issues, stick to the needle, you won't even see it.

10. Have fun while doing it! If you get stuck or screw up - leave it, watch some YT tutorials and come back the next day.

If you're crazy like me to give this a shot, I'll be more than happy to answer any questions you might have in this thread.

Here are my results:

Appreciate 20
mcsquared778.00
90rr106.50
nerdogray1345.00
Nahlem1146.00
chris7197393.50
Pheonix380.50
hC1001610.00
co_440i120.00
Bruuuce356.50
Limegrntaln13701.00
RACE M3550.00
SWFLf10373.50
Hornet-01163.50
Dnshift158.00
      09-04-2023, 07:44 PM   #2
DK_G80
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp

About to give this a go on my BSM. Really want frozen look, but no way paying 6-7k.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2023, 07:49 PM   #3
nerdogray
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

Impressive as hell.

Despite doing it yourself being completely new to it, I'm willing to bet you ended up with a better quality wrap than the majority of installers provide.

Last edited by nerdogray; 09-04-2023 at 08:17 PM..
Appreciate 3
      09-04-2023, 11:11 PM   #4
Nahlem
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: None atm

Looking good, there is a saying or at least was when i worked in construction a lot of years ago, there is no better carpenter then your self even if you have never put down a two by four in your life, because it comes down to time = quality, for example when doing a job for your self you will probably take the time to make it as perfect as you can, and that in most cases tends to be better or on par with professionals because the pros don't have the time to do it that well, and have to do a job under time "pressure" to get it done and move on to the next. But if you do it for your self time is not an issue and you can just take it slow and see as many guides as possible to get it done right.

So kudos to you looking great with the PPF.

Former Car:BMW i4 M50 Brooklyn Grey (MY22)| BMW i3s BEV (MY19)|Former Car: BMW X1 20d x-drive (MY16)|BMW m235i (MY14)|Former Car: BMW 120d (MY12)|Former Car: Volvo C30 T5 R-Design (MY08)|Former Car: Volvo C70 T5 (MY06)|Former Car: Volvo S40 2.0T(MY1999)
Appreciate 2
Han4mi120.50
shimmy232357.50
      09-04-2023, 11:53 PM   #5
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
Taking the door handles off is a must for PPF or you get an ugly seam there. I realize you somehow lost a screw but to me thus should be done and it is normally pretty quick and simple.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2023, 01:39 PM   #6
Han4mi
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzanerazzurri View Post
Taking the door handles off is a must for PPF or you get an ugly seam there. I realize you somehow lost a screw but to me thus should be done and it is normally pretty quick and simple.
There is a seam, but it's not visible as it's hidden behind the handle. I could have probably done this properly, but getting the screw from the bottom edge of the door took me 4 hours... I just didn't want to risk it.

When you get very close to the car you can see some bubbles or little bits of dirt in some places, it is far from a professional job. However, when you're 2 steps away, the car looks great and is protected. Ultimately, this is what I settled for and will try to do a better job next time.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2023, 01:44 PM   #7
Han4mi
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK_G80 View Post
About to give this a go on my BSM. Really want frozen look, but no way paying 6-7k.
Give it a go, it's really fun and very rewarding when you get a panel wrapped by yourself. Happy to help if you have any issues!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2023, 04:41 PM   #8
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

I'm not a fan of PPF as I'm a perfectionist but if your job is half as impressive as your write-up, I'm sure it turned out great. Kudos.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2023, 10:04 PM   #9
BackOnBlack
Learning to drive again
Rep
Drives: M3CS

Garage List
2024 BMW M3 CS  [10.00]
Thank you for this write up and tips, great job, car is looking great. I think I will try this myself just to cover the hood.
      09-06-2023, 02:19 AM   #10
Han4mi
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackOnBlack View Post
Thank you for this write up and tips, great job, car is looking great. I think I will try this myself just to cover the hood.
The hood is one of the easiest panels to do, just make sure to stretch it well across all 4 corners so you don't end up with wrinkles on the edges. Good luck!
Appreciate 1
      09-06-2023, 04:20 AM   #11
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

Nice job! Decontaminate the space you work in next time and possibly eliminate those specs under the film . Ultimately good job and great DIY satisfaction!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 10:32 PM   #12
Bettandow
Registered
Rep
Drives: laborgini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han4mi View Post
The hood is one of the easiest panels to do, just make sure to stretch it well across all 4 corners so you don't end up with wrinkles on the edges. Good luck!
Thank you for your extremely helpful and passionate advice. Have a good day!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 07:40 AM   #13
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han4mi View Post
It took my around 50h in total to wrap the whole car, not uncluding the time I spent on educating myself (you need to watch YT videos).

The total cost was around 700 USD.
Great write-up! How do you handle the scallops at the front of the hood?
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 08:36 AM   #14
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Doing your own PPF is certainly an accomplishment. In 1984 I helped a friend tint the windows on his 1965 Mustang. Let's just say a blind monkey could have done a better job lol.
chris7197393.50
      09-07-2023, 11:23 AM   #15
chefwong
Major
Rep
Drives: X5

Just curious. What brand /make/thickness of PPF
I've tinkered with this stuff on some outdoor machinery for the yard equipment....

But I let the pro's do this on things that count...

It's not easy on the curves, getting it to tack when u need to, don't lift as then you will get a lift line, contamination, and the long laundry list that goes it. PPF is expensive for sure . Part of that cost is the built in charges that the installer may need to redo a panel either during the install or for the -lifetime- warranty.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 11:52 AM   #16
Pheonix
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe 2012 e93 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
Great Job and excellent write up! Thank you for sharing.
Here are some of tips/tricks I have to share:
-Prepping is extremely important and PPF won't stick to surfaces with any type of wax/sealant/coating. Therefore, at least one step polish is required.
-Pay extra attention to the edges/panel interface and get them really cleaned or you gonna have lifted edges.
-blow out the panel gaps (either pressure washer or compress air). Most of the debris came from these areas during installation (beside the obvious work area).
-i use hot water as both tack solution and help with stretching and get the PPF to conform to odd surfaces. Ik Foam Pro 2 sprayer works really well for boiling water.
-if the edges aren't staying down, just wait for the moisture to dry off 1st then press them down. You might ruined the Adhesive if pressing too much when wet.
-Based on my own Experiences, the Easiest PPF for DIY is Suntek Ultra (the Suntek Reaction (or anything with Top Coat) are extremely hard to work with).
Good luck and nothing more satisfying than be able to DIY PPF and save a ton of money.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 02:26 PM   #17
Han4mi
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
Great write-up! How do you handle the scallops at the front of the hood?
Treat them as if they weren't there. Stretch the film on each edge and start squeeging (I did a line in the middle of the hood and then continued vertically).

When you get to the indentations add the alcohol solution under the film in that area and it will stretch into place nicely. It will stay down when you remove the water and air, you could heat it up a little to make it easier.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 02:28 PM   #18
Han4mi
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefwong View Post
Just curious. What brand /make/thickness of PPF
I've tinkered with this stuff on some outdoor machinery for the yard equipment....

But I let the pro's do this on things that count...

It's not easy on the curves, getting it to tack when u need to, don't lift as then you will get a lift line, contamination, and the long laundry list that goes it. PPF is expensive for sure . Part of that cost is the built in charges that the installer may need to redo a panel either during the install or for the -lifetime- warranty.
I got a roll from one of the manufacturers on Alibaba, picked one with decent revenue and good reviews. Thickness is 7.6 mil.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2023, 06:29 AM   #19
grannyknot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4M coupe

I started to go down this road but found that all of the companies that make good quality wrap won't sell to the public, only to shops. I asked 3-4 shops if they would sell me enough wrap to do my car and it was a flat no.
There is lots wrap you can buy on amazon but I don't want to waste my time putting on the cheap stuff.
Where did you buy your film?
      09-09-2023, 09:00 AM   #20
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Agreed $7,000 is a lot of money, but, for me. I just don't have the patience to do 50 hours worth the work to my car. I didn't go with stealth, but, everything was removed, I.E. door handles, trunk spoiler, trim, taillights, etc.

The ppf looks great, to my eye, and I'm pretty OCD about seeing little details out of place, but, mine was done really well. I also have full wheels off ceramic. Calipers were also ceramic coated, and I have STek DynoFlex on the outer windshield.

Overall, the car is coated and protected with 2 products that arent sold to consumers, so, the only way for me to get them, is to have them professionally installed.

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2023, 09:29 PM   #21
RACE M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 02 S2k, 04 Rx8, 22 M3P, 23 m3

Great job! For $700 and a couple weekends even if it was a 5/10.... well worth it!

You won't feel guilty if you get bored of the look in 6 months and feel obligated to keep it. Well done man!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 09:21 PM   #22
RsTyle
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3C

Garage List
2024 M3C  [0.00]
I'm a big DIY guy and I'm contemplating doing this. My only hesitation is I don't have large chunk of time to get this all done once. Do you envision any problems if I tackle one panel per weekend? Also, does the matte PPF complicate things in any way? Thanks!
Appreciate 0