BMW i5 and 5-Series Forum

04-06-2024, 10:36 AM   #1
PJH24
Rep
Drives: '14 535ix; '24 i5M60

Charging Settings from Vehicle not Synching with My BMW App

I have had my i5 M60 for about 45 days and love everything about it. Only one problem so far: When I set the charging settings in my vehicle, plug in and then go in the house, the climate and charging settings in the My BMW App seem to change at random and then those settings control the charging behavior. For example, if in the car I set a charging window of 12 midnight to 6 am and a departure time of 6 am for 5 days, when I later check the My BMW settings, the app might have changed that to immediate charging and a departure time of 9 pm. If I then manually change all the settings in My BMW app to what I want, that will work, but I need to repeat the process every day. I also notice that the My BMW app charging setting do not change the vehicle's charging settings in the car.

Has anybody else experienced this and, if so, is there a fix? Seems like the charging settings should synch up seamlessly between the vehicle and the My BMW app, but that is not happening for me.
Appreciate 2
Scrapula2794.50
SkykingUSA1355.50
      04-06-2024, 10:46 AM   #2
Slyslap
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 edrive 40

Since I’ve set mine up 3 weeks ago, I haven’t seen it change at all and always keep an eye on it on a daily basis.
Appreciate 1
SkykingUSA1355.50
      04-06-2024, 12:25 PM   #3
Scrapula
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW i5 M60

Are you the only driver? I’m primary and my husband is secondary. If he changes something on the app, it will only be temporary in the car, but mine are permanent.
Appreciate 1
SkykingUSA1355.50
      04-06-2024, 01:23 PM   #4
PJH24
Rep
Drives: '14 535ix; '24 i5M60

I am the only driver, but I think I found the answer on another site. I either enrolled or started to enroll in the ChargeForward program, which seems to have been overriding my settings and was causing the problem. Once I deactivated that program, which you can do from the ChargeForward website, that seems to have fixed the issue. I’m not sure I fully understood how I was benefiting from the ChargeForward program in any event.
Appreciate 2
deutsch1003998.50
SkykingUSA1355.50
      04-07-2024, 02:33 AM   #5
SkykingUSA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 i5 eDrive40

Garage List
The same thing happened to me. I also signed up with the ChargeForward app. Basically, you have to set all your departure settings in the ChargeForward app and then that app changes the charge settings in the car (and the myBMW app) automatically every time you plug in to charge.

Unfortunately, there is a bug with the ChargeForward app and it's not working correctly so I un-enrolled yesterday so it would work correctly again.

Below is the problem I sent to them and their response. I'm not wasting my time with this solution every time I plug in, that's why I un-enrolled. Maybe I'll reconsider if they ever fix the bug. Disappointing, but bugs happen I guess. I would suggest avoiding ChargeForward until they iron out the bugs.

My email to support:
I am currently participating in the ChargeForward program. The program has turned off the Pre-condition for departure time setting in the My BMW app. When I manually turn it back on, it works until the next charge session when ChargeForward turns it off again.

Is there a way to ensure that pre-conditioning stays on even when using the ChargeForward program?
Support's response:
Thank you for your patience as I looked further into your concerns.

Please be aware of an issue identified with preconditioning settings and the BMW ChargeForward program. Our team is looking into a fix, though I do not yet have an estimated date for a fix to be implemented. I regret any inconvenience this may have caused. As a workaround, please attempt the following steps in order to continue using preconditioning for departure for your BMW:
  1. Set your preferred charging schedule and departure time in the ChargeForward app and set your MyBMW app to "Charge immediately".
  2. When ready to charge, plug your vehicle in to the charger.
  3. Your preconditioning departure time in the MyBMW app will be automatically changed.
  4. While charging, set your preconditioning departure time in the MyBMW app.
  5. Your preferred preconditioning departure time will be applied and your BMW will be ready to go by the set time.
  6. You may need to complete these steps again for each charging session until the issue is resolved internally.
If after attempting these steps you still have concerns, please reply to this email and I will be happy to further assist you.

Kind regards,

Adam
BMW ChargeForward Representative
2024 i5 eDrive40 / Vegas Red / Black Veganza / Dark Oak Gloss Trim with Dark Silv Acc / Premium Package / M Sport Package / M Sport Pro Package / Driving Assistance Pro Package / Luxury Seating Package / 19" 936 M Aero Wheels NonRFT

Appreciate 2
PJH2431.50
Scrapula2794.50
      04-18-2024, 11:07 AM   #6
hhafter
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw x-5 phev; bmw 530ephev

I'm having the exact problems as PJH24 with my newly purchased 2021 M5-plug in. I just disabled the My BMW app for this car. I'll be checking for a few days to see if the app is the propblem. Has anyone else with this problem done this? We also have a 2018 530e and the synch between the car and the app has never been a problem
Appreciate 1
SkykingUSA1355.50