10-02-2023, 01:33 PM   #23
kconner5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 Manual (ZCP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
The Out of Spec review always gives me something others missed, though his video is always 30 min too long.
Ha thanks for watching and sorry for making these long - I figure everyone else gets those nice condensed reviews and honestly we've only seen better performance with long videos. My theory, for myself and for those on our team, is to just produce the content we would want to watch if we were buying a car - and however long that takes, so be it. It's not for everyone, but I try and cram as much as I can in there.

We also just recorded another podcast with more information (mostly charging topics and some other things) linked here:

Also happy to answer any questions that you guys have and if I don't know the answer I can email some of the folks at BMW to get answers for you as well.

Thanks!
Kyle
Appreciate 11
cpt395.50
Travis251.50
BMW-X157.00
jmack1231300.50
DHDCF286.50
GordoCLM234.00
KRS_SN13550.50
Scrapula2794.50
tsbrown1057.50
SkykingUSA1355.50
      10-02-2023, 01:35 PM   #24
jmack123
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5

Garage List
2016 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
The Out of Spec review always gives me something others missed, though his video is always 30 min too long.
He and Bjorn Nyland are the best EV reviewers generally if you want more technical details.
Appreciate 2
KRS_SN13550.50
      10-02-2023, 01:38 PM   #25
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: I6-> iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaffari46 View Post
If I want to buy a premium sedan, why I don’t buy a Tesla S instead of i5?
( faster, more room in the back, way way better range, better cargo space, reliable charging infrastructure, having a useful frunk), and believe me, most of people don’t care about the panel gaps!
BMW (and the rest of Germans) have to step up their game if they want compete with tesla. Just look at tesla sales numbers.
Agree with you except- bmw drivers like easier controls and id9 or 8.5 is easier than Tesla. Maybe people like steering wheel stalk’s too?
Appreciate 2
BMW-X157.00
JMD638.50
      10-02-2023, 01:49 PM   #26
cpt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '24 BMW i5 M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by kconner5 View Post
Also happy to answer any questions that you guys have and if I don't know the answer I can email some of the folks at BMW to get answers for you as well.

Thanks!
Kyle
Nice video Kyle.
Only watched the first 10 minutes or so (still at work) but a few slides caught my attention, e.g. the i5 charge curve which is now a smooth curve instead of stepped like in the iX.
Did they present these slides during the test drive event? I can't believe no one else is reporting these details which in terms of engineering is very interesting to me.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2023, 01:52 PM   #27
Travis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i5 eDrive 40

Garage List
Quote:
Ha thanks for watching and sorry for making these long - I figure everyone else gets those nice condensed reviews and honestly we've only seen better performance with long videos. My theory, for myself and for those on our team, is to just produce the content we would want to watch if we were buying a car - and however long that takes, so be it. It's not for everyone, but I try and cram as much as I can in there.

We also just recorded another podcast with more information (mostly charging topics and some other things) linked here:

Thanks!
Kyle
Hi Kyle, glad to see you here.
In the video you mentioned the B&W sound system is "great" but is it if you compare it with i7 B&W or the Harman Kardon system like in i4?
Also for the points that you said you would like to follow up with the BMW team (such as over heating) do they have any reply?

Thanks for the great video!
Appreciate 2
BMW-X157.00
DHDCF286.50
      10-02-2023, 01:53 PM   #28
BMW-X
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortexiphan View Post
People who don't care about panel gaps, aren't BMW customers anyway.
They're Toyota, Kia, Subaru, Tesla customers. Those who look like convenient, cheap, loads of storage, low quality build.
With this logic, on the ICE side, you'd be driving a RAV4 or something, you know, cheaper parts, cheap to run - you don't care about build quality anyway.

i5 has better build, better comfort, way quieter, better suspension, better seats, better tech features, better interior and exterior design. Model S is good if you're an uber driver and/or your car taste isn't sophisticated enough that you can ignore all the quality related things.
I mean the cars are built to be driven. Driving any BMW sedan is a better experience than driving any Tesla. 330i driver's seat is a better place than Model S Plaid, let alone i5.
Well now I don’t need to reply to the original post!

lol well said!
Appreciate 4
      10-02-2023, 01:58 PM   #29
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

Thanks!
Kyle
Kyle being a BMW enthusiast confirmed, member since 2013.

Looking forward to you diving into the strange power derating issue you had on spirited driving. After how many minutes did that happen? You were not exactly going 10/10ths either. Do you have an idea when you will get a US press car? Did you get any other feedback from them after the test drive on this issue?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2023, 01:58 PM   #30
kconner5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 Manual (ZCP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt View Post
Nice video Kyle.
Only watched the first 10 minutes or so (still at work) but a few slides caught my attention, e.g. the i5 charge curve which is now a smooth curve instead of stepped like in the iX.
Did they present these slides during the test drive event? I can't believe no one else is reporting these details which in terms of engineering is very interesting to me.
Yes they went through all of these slides at the event - the i7 actually launched the smooth (good) charging curve from BMW but the i5 is slightly more refined and offers a "boost" (my terminology) function that if you plug in at higher SoC it will give you some period of time where you can get max 200+kW charging speeds.

Here's the slide demonstrating that one - my thoughts on this are in the podcast as well (some good / some bad)

The charging engineers claimed that this function will come to i7 with an update (unsure if OTA or not tbh, I think it is OTA) and they said future iX will have an updated charging curve but unsure if that one will get updated retroactively (shame if not)
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
cpt395.50
      10-02-2023, 01:59 PM   #31
Travis
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack123 View Post
He and Bjorn Nyland are the best EV reviewers generally if you want more technical details.
For Bimmer, I think BMWBlog is pretty great, and he always has unique access to the BMW design team.
Appreciate 1
jmack1231300.50
      10-02-2023, 02:01 PM   #32
CharlieBravo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 i5 M60

Garage List
2024 BMW i5 M60  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iM3an View Post
Unfortunately no multi-contours and no soft close doors. Sport seat doesn't have side bolster adjust but does have lumbar + manual leg extension and manual headrest. Multifunction seat is similar to ix/x1, has side bolster adjustment + electronic leg extension and headrest adjustment. According to my centers GM, they said they deleted it because of low take rate on G30.
Really? Interesting, because my i5 M60 order lists multi-contour seats as a standard feature.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2023, 02:03 PM   #33
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep
Drives: 24' BMW iX

Quote:
Just look at I4 vs tesla 3 sales numbers.
That's a pointless comparison.

Again just look at RAV4 vs X3 sales numbers.
Model 3 is a barrel on wheels with batteries, and it starts from $29,000 (That's exactly what it deserves, so ok value) BMWs or any German from 30 years ago have better quality, better breaks, better ride, better suspension.
i4 is a luxury German sedan and it starts from $52,000
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50
Appreciate 7
jmack1231300.50
cfm56d7b5893.50
KRS_SN13550.50
co_440i112.50
BMW-X157.00
      10-02-2023, 02:04 PM   #34
Travis
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
No I’m not kidding, I have 2 BMWs and one tesla. I have had i4 for couple of months. I don’t think you have much experience with tesla.
Range is important especially if you live in US, especially in north. In subzero temperatures you can not drive these “premium German car” more than 100 miles before you get nervous.
The other thing is having a drive shaft tunnel is an electric car! Why? Yeah because they want to use the same body of their ICE car. An electric car doesn’t need to have a long overhang bonnet and a drive shaft tunnel ( like i7 and i5).
Anyhow, market will talk.
Tesla consumers return in 67%, average luxury brand 46 percent.
I’m enjoying my M2, but driving my tesla when I feel to drive an electric car. This is my second tesla and BMW has to work harder to get even close to tesla, despite the comparable price range. Just look at I4 vs tesla 3 sales numbers.
I never drove a Model S but between model 3 and i4 I will go i4 100%.
For me range is not an issue, I just do home charge and short distance driving. The build quality of i4 is on another level compared with model 3. I am looking forward to the Neue Klasse to solve the issues you mentioned in the current BMW EVs.
Appreciate 1
BMW-X157.00
      10-02-2023, 02:13 PM   #35
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep

Quote:

Thanks!
Kyle
Hi Kyle!
You give us the best EV reviews Youtube, hands down. You always point out relevant points about these cars that all others miss, and I feel genuinely informed after watching your videos. Also, I have an iX, which I love; and I have to thank you for that - because your reviews have definitely helped me make the decision to lease one!

Very cool to see you here. Keep up the good work!
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50
Appreciate 1
jmack1231300.50
      10-02-2023, 02:13 PM   #36
jmack123
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5

Garage List
2016 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:

We also just recorded another podcast with more information (mostly charging topics and some other things) linked here: https://youtu.be/54SGwNKaF00

Thanks!
Kyle
FWIW, I think your long reviews are refreshing. Most reviewers tend to compress content to not offend the average viewer’s attention span, but there is something to be said about a long review that goes into enough depth to allow someone to more truly appreciate all of the introcate details about a car.

I think your style is engaging and you are knowledgeable, so your formula works - at least from my perspective.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2023, 02:18 PM   #37
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep

Quote:
I never drove a Model S but between model 3 and i4 I will go i4 100%.
For me range is not an issue, I just do home charge and short distance driving. The build quality of i4 is on another level compared with model 3. I am looking forward to the Neue Klasse to solve the issues you mentioned in the current BMW EVs.
Model S is actually worst than Model 3 in terms of driving experience.
Model 3 is at least a little sharp - lighter and stiffer. Model S is less cheap feeling inside, but the driving experience is definitely worst - because when you have that much weight, you need some chassis engineering talent for steering and suspension and noise isolation - which Tesla doesn't have, and doesn't even care...
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2023, 02:55 PM   #38
Ravenseal
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 6MT

Still can’t believe BMW ruined the heritage of the 5 series with this unsightly travesty of a design. Oh well.

Retired: 2022 M240i xDrive | 2021 Audi RS5 | 2019 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT | 2016 428i GC | 2011 BMW 335is
Appreciate 2
      10-02-2023, 02:56 PM   #39
TXSchnee
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM

Quote:
No I’m not kidding, I have 2 BMWs and one tesla. I have had i4 for couple of months. I don’t think you have much experience with tesla.
Range is important especially if you live in US, especially in north. In subzero temperatures you can not drive these “premium German car” more than 100 miles before you get nervous.
The other thing is having a drive shaft tunnel is an electric car! Why? Yeah because they want to use the same body of their ICE car. An electric car doesn’t need to have a long overhang bonnet and a drive shaft tunnel ( like i7 and i5).
Anyhow, market will talk.
Tesla consumers return in 67%, average luxury brand 46 percent.
I’m enjoying my M2, but driving my tesla when I feel to drive an electric car. This is my second tesla and BMW has to work harder to get even close to tesla, despite the comparable price range. Just look at I4 vs tesla 3 sales numbers.
My premium German EV has a heat pump, winter temps do not bother it as much, it has a transmission hump because it has a 2 speed transmission, and looks, drives and overall is better than a Tesla Model S. No Tesla has ever hit it's EPA range, outside of absolute perfect conditions, and other than being fast on launch (which it can only do a few times) it is a chore to drive. No thanks, will stick to Porsche and BMW for EVs as they are far superior.
2020 Porsche Cayenne E Hybrid (sold)
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 2
BMW-X157.00
      10-02-2023, 02:57 PM   #40
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortexiphan View Post
That's a pointless comparison.

Again just look at RAV4 vs X3 sales numbers.
Model 3 is a barrel on wheels with batteries, and it starts from $29,000 (That's exactly what it deserves, so ok value) BMWs or any German from 30 years ago have better quality, better breaks, better ride, better suspension.
i4 is a luxury German sedan and it starts from $52,000
I4 M50 is definitely more luxury and/or premium feeling. As far as chassis tuning, driving dynamics, drivetrain tuning...that goes to the Model 3 Perf. The Tesla surprisingly is more of a drivers car. Think we are going to have to wait for the true M model EVs from BMW. Like the experience Kyle had with the i5 M60 test drive, the drivetrain tuning in i4 does similar things. It just doesn't let you really hustle the car in and out of corners. Tesla also builds the lightest EVs, so that helps with driving dynamics quite a lot.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2023, 02:58 PM   #41
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

I drove Tesla Model S and wouldn't consider it unless Tesla addressed a very long list of item - which I believe Tesla will not address because the core Tesla customer does not consider them important. First item - seats which can compete with BMW seats. Second - chassis engineering.

i5 will sell and sell well. It's the right premium car for the target market.

It's important to note that the current portfolio of BMW EVs represents an interim step towards future generation of BMW EVs with solid state batteries.

https://www.topspeed.com/bmw-solid-s...attery-future/

https://www.motor1.com/news/632377/b...joint-venture/
Appreciate 1
BMW-X157.00
      10-02-2023, 03:18 PM   #42
ghaffari46
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: bmw m3 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSchnee View Post
My premium German EV has a heat pump, winter temps do not bother it as much, it has a transmission hump because it has a 2 speed transmission, and looks, drives and overall is better than a Tesla Model S. No Tesla has ever hit it's EPA range, outside of absolute perfect conditions, and other than being fast on launch (which it can only do a few times) it is a chore to drive. No thanks, will stick to Porsche and BMW for EVs as they are far superior.
Just FYI
Tesla has a heat pump, and if you have a poor range it doesn’t matter what is your EPA
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2023, 03:24 PM   #43
Travis
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Let's not derail this discuss to Tesla shall we.

Just watched the CARWOW video and noticed the water dripping sound from the AC. That seems weird.
Appreciate 2
Sisyrx242.50
BMW-X157.00
      10-02-2023, 03:25 PM   #44
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Just FYI
Tesla has a heat pump, and if you have a poor range it doesn’t matter what is your EPA
Also relying on CCS charging network...no thanks. BMW needs to announce a switch to NACS like just about everyone else, including their main rival Mercedes.
Appreciate 0