BMW i5 and 5-Series Forum

09-14-2024, 03:31 PM   #1
Scrapula
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW i5 M60

Electrify Expo Test Drives

I only did 2 test drives today - a Lucid Air Touring and a Tesla Model 3 Performance (new model).

Lucid- the car felt extremely planted and heavy. The ride was very good. I couldn’t feel any of the road imperfections. I didn’t like putting it into drive with a stalk off the steering wheel and having to put it into park to stop it, by pressing a button on the end of the stalk. To adjust the mirrors, you have to go into a menu system. I prefer the buttons on the BMW. I drove in Spirited mode, but it seemed to lag compared to my i5 M60. It would be a great car for highway miles, but I wouldn’t want it for around town driving.

There was no line for the Model 3P. Everyone wanted to drive the Cybertruck. The 3 felt like driving a sports car. Very low to the ground. It was easy to dial in a comfortable position on the sport seats. The held me firmly in place. I thought starting the drive by sliding a picture of a car forward kind of video game like. The turn signal buttons on the steering wheel are a horrible idea. I’m not sure if I would develop muscle memory. The car is definitely quick but I found the sport suspension to be a little harsh on my arthritic back. I’m still in a bit of pain. If I was younger, I would definitely consider buying one. You can feel every road imperfection with good feedback in the steering wheel. I have no idea how fast I drove because it’s weird having to look at a corner of the screen.

Overall, I preferred my BMW to both cars.

I did sit in the Lexus EV. Super comfortable seats. Hard plastic on the door panel, just like BMW.
Appreciate 8
madagil24.00
nacs175.50
TLK427.50
SkykingUSA2594.00
deutsch1004719.50
Ossian355.50
      09-15-2024, 01:04 PM   #2
nacs
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 550e, Ford 68 Deluxe

Here is the blue that was being discussed.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
Scrapula4165.50
deutsch1004719.50
SkykingUSA2594.00
      09-15-2024, 05:00 PM   #3
TLK
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP, '12 550i, '04 545i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapula View Post
I only did 2 test drives today - a Lucid Air Touring and a Tesla Model 3 Performance (new model).

There was no line for the Model 3P. Everyone wanted to drive the Cybertruck. The 3 felt like driving a sports car. Very low to the ground. It was easy to dial in a comfortable position on the sport seats. The held me firmly in place. I thought starting the drive by sliding a picture of a car forward kind of video game like. The turn signal buttons on the steering wheel are a horrible idea. I’m not sure if I would develop muscle memory. The car is definitely quick but I found the sport suspension to be a little harsh on my arthritic back. I’m still in a bit of pain. If I was younger, I would definitely consider buying one. You can feel every road imperfection with good feedback in the steering wheel. I have no idea how fast I drove because it’s weird having to look at a corner of the screen.

Did you dig into the menus see how the suspension was setup on the Model 3P, or play with it? Supposedly the “standard” mode is more comfortable on the Highland refresh than the previous iteration. Could be the car was left in Sport or possibly in Track mode.

Sadly, I missed both this and the BMW Experience in my area, they were both held recently on a few weeks apart. Maybe their advertising is not great, I was unaware of them.
Appreciate 3
SkykingUSA2594.00
Scrapula4165.50
      09-15-2024, 09:21 PM   #4
Scrapula
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLK View Post
Did you dig into the menus see how the suspension was setup on the Model 3P, or play with it? Supposedly the “standard” mode is more comfortable on the Highland refresh than the previous iteration. Could be the car was left in Sport or possibly in Track mode.

Sadly, I missed both this and the BMW Experience in my area, they were both held recently on a few weeks apart. Maybe their advertising is not great, I was unaware of them.
I didn’t have time to dig through. I found the menus awful. The Tesla rep had to do everything for me. It was not intuitive to me at all. I could never figure out Windows either, but a Mac always made sense to me. I am also fine with iDrive.
Appreciate 2
SkykingUSA2594.00
      09-16-2024, 12:26 AM   #5
AiredaleDad
Lieutenant
Spain
Rep
Drives: 2010 Mercedes CLC 200 CDI

Garage List
You know, As a techie, I have noticed that most Apple enthusiasts I personally know, whether friends, Family, or co-workers, have problems with using Windows. Yet most Windows users, can get around on a Mac. We just don't prefer it over Windows.

(Disclaimer. This is by my personal observation. Notice I said MOST, not all, and "PERSONANLLY KNOW". Before you start defending your Mac-ness Please read the post.)
Appreciate 3
SkykingUSA2594.00
Scrapula4165.50
PsychDoc2431.50
      09-16-2024, 11:36 AM   #6
Scrapula
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiredaleDad View Post
You know, As a techie, I have noticed that most Apple enthusiasts I personally know, whether friends, Family, or co-workers, have problems with using Windows. Yet most Windows users, can get around on a Mac. We just don't prefer it over Windows.

(Disclaimer. This is by my personal observation. Notice I said MOST, not all, and "PERSONANLLY KNOW". Before you start defending your Mac-ness Please read the post.)
Mine derives from being a software engineer from the late 1970’s on (before going into pharmacy). I used Motif X Windows under Unix System 5. The original Mac OS worked the same way. Every time you opened an application, it was a new instance. I could have 3 spreadsheets open. You couldn’t do that with Windows until this last decade. Windows has gotten more Mac-like over the years.
Appreciate 4
SkykingUSA2594.00
LVBMW2362.50
Ossian355.50
      09-16-2024, 12:13 PM   #7
bmwterp
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW I5M60

Quote:

Lucid- the car felt extremely planted and heavy. The ride was very good. I couldn’t feel any of the road imperfections. I didn’t like putting it into drive with a stalk off the steering wheel and having to put it into park to stop it, by pressing a button on the end of the stalk. To adjust the mirrors, you have to go into a menu system. I prefer the buttons on the BMW. I drove in Spirited mode, but it seemed to lag compared to my i5 M60. It would be a great car for highway miles, but I wouldn’t want it for around town driving.

I did sit in the Lexus EV. Super comfortable seats. Hard plastic on the door panel, just like BMW.

Well, if you are looking at an I5, the M3P is not really a good comparison. You should drive a model S or or a plaid. Its a completely different ride. The BMW is more comfortable, refined and has better tech. But, the S is pretty comfortable too, is amazingly fast, and the charging network is a huge plus. In fact, if you are going to drive long distances, the charging network might be a game changer for you.
Appreciate 2
SkykingUSA2594.00
Scrapula4165.50
      09-17-2024, 01:09 AM   #8
AiredaleDad
Lieutenant
Spain
Rep
Drives: 2010 Mercedes CLC 200 CDI

Garage List
Quote:
Mine derives from being a software engineer from the late 1970’s on (before going into pharmacy). I used Motif X Windows under Unix System 5. The original Mac OS worked the same way. Every time you opened an application, it was a new instance. I could have 3 spreadsheets open. You couldn’t do that with Windows until this last decade. Windows has gotten more Mac-like over the years.
You have a good point. Every time I use my wife's Mac I keep looking for that right click button that isn't there though. Lol. And I have to remember to use <Command + C/V> for copy and paste, instead of <Control + C/V>. The keys just aren't in the right place for me so it's a conscious effort.

For some reason I ended up in a household where my wife, and Daughter can only use MAC, and Iphone, and My Son and I only use Windows/Android. We can both use Mac/Iphone, but not by choice.

I have an Iphone my work issued me (I call it my leash), but Gov't phones are so restricted I can't use it but to make calls and check work e-mail anyway. Even the camera is disabled. And the only apps on it are the ones they put there. Can't add anything.
Appreciate 2
SkykingUSA2594.00
Scrapula4165.50
      09-17-2024, 09:39 PM   #9
Scrapula
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwterp View Post
Well, if you are looking at an I5, the M3P is not really a good comparison. You should drive a model S or or a plaid. Its a completely different ride. The BMW is more comfortable, refined and has better tech. But, the S is pretty comfortable too, is amazingly fast, and the charging network is a huge plus. In fact, if you are going to drive long distances, the charging network might be a game changer for you.
If I drove long distances, I would get the Lucid Air Grand Touring. It will come with the NACS port next year.
Appreciate 1
SkykingUSA2594.00