BMW i5 and 5-Series Forum

04-01-2023, 09:51 PM   #1
snakes1021
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4 CS/ 440I gran coupe

Chemical guys products

I started this thread so I didnt hijack someone else thread about leather cleaner.

I found a bucket at walmart hat had some products i hadnt heard of and decided to give it a try. It was like $40 I mostly bought it for the bucket with the dirt trap. but it came with soap wash mitt and a few other things I figured why not.

I like the products and proceeded to google and found they have an actual brick and mortar store just of the road. I checked it out and bought a few things then a few more. i gets points and for their cars and coffee events they have 20% off so.....

Im by no means a professional detailer and this is just my opinion on the products Ive used.

Some of this stuff my kiddo uses to take care of a honda civic. The hydro stuff has ceramic properties and is more expensive.

Hydro glide waterless wash - left my CF roof streaky but the rest of the carits fine

Hydro suds wash - great

Hydro slick wax - meh it dries fast then balls up while buffing it out. works well but is a PITA to get it all off and smoothed out by hand.

Hydro charge+ great every 3 mos or so they say 6mos to a year. maybe its over kill.

Hydro slick quick detailer - pretty good.

Hydro view glass cleaner - works well, so does their streak free glass cleaner

Hydro spin wheel cleaner I use as a quick detailer my wheels. Cant say either way on that one, break dust wipes off pretty easily.

Hydro interior - works well so does total interior

Hydro thread - I have used it but havent spilled anything so cant say how it works.

Diablo wheel cleaner - works ok signature series is great. the new incite foaming wheel cleaner changes colors lol thats all I can say, only used it once.

Bug and tar wash - gets the bugs off before the wash with hydro suds and does a good job.

White light glaze and sealant makes the white whine. Works well on other light colors (glacier silver metallic on my 440)

VRP - works well restoring fading rubber and plastic it gets used on the kiddos civic

Extreme body wash and wax and Mr. pink wash - both work good again on the kiddos civic.

Squash air freshener spray smells great as do Leather odor remover and new car smell, but that is subjective.

Wooly mamouth MF towel - I can dry 2 cars with

Waffle weave window towel - works probably like any other waffle weave towel.

Bucket with the dirt trap - I really like. Better deal at Walmart than from them its like $30 for the bucket lid and trap vs $40 at Walmart with like 4 products and a wash mitt included.

There is a different in some of the products that are sold at walmart are not diluted the same as if you were to order or purchase directly. Im not sure which ones other than the diablo wheel cleaner. I bought a bottle of un diluted and followed the directions it was a completely different product.

They also sell stuff industrial size 5 gallon jugs but I dont have a use for that.

All that being said I like being able to get everything on one spot, that is one of the main reasons I shop there.

If anyone else ahs any experience feel free to share.

IM bored sitting at work so.......lol why not kill time.
Appreciate 1
shimmy232356.00
      05-01-2023, 08:22 PM   #2
Jrock645
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Chemical guys isn’t bad but there’s better brands out there. Nothing wrong with their stuff if you’re happy with it.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 09:17 AM   #3
Nettles
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i

Stay away from cg products. Marketing company at best with redundant products rebranded with different names and colors. There are so many better companies that cover affordable to premium products. Don’t use cg folks.
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2023, 09:24 AM   #4
snakes1021
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks Jrock I don’t disagree. There is always something better for sure. it’s a good product not the best but good. The convenience is what works great for me. I can literally drive 10 minutes and pick up any product on any day. I don’t have to order wait or pay for shipping.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 09:37 AM   #5
snakes1021
Private First Class
Rep

Nettles. I don’t think that’s an accurate statement by a long shop. I’ve personally tried multiple products for the same purpose and gotten different results from each.

Every product has its marketing. I’ve never personally seen any marketing for CG. And they have a brick and mortar store 10 mins from my house. But the do hold detailing classes, I can take my car there and say what’s this how do I address is and they have an answer and will even take the time to explain the product how to use it etc. which is more than I can say for any other product that I’ve used.

If you’ve had soem horrible result or experience please share. If not and you don’t like their products why not let other have their own experience?

I can tell you 75% if people at least. Don’t follow the direction printed on the freakin bottle. Watched a guy a few weeks ago complain to the manager who kindly asked, “did you do XYZ like it says in the directions?” The guy said “No, I did it this way”. He still got a full refund and a thanks for trying our product.

So customer service ++. Convenience for me++. Results have been good dure they have a few things I wasn’t a fan of. But over all good product if used correctly.

Again not the best on the market but no issues here. I pay for their products out of my own pocket if I didn’t like the results I wouldn’t. I shared my experience with most of the products I’ve used. You simply just said stay away.

So like I said if you have a reason, negative experience or result feel free to share.
Appreciate 3
pz6193280.00
co_440i114.00
      05-02-2023, 10:11 AM   #6
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Some of their stuff is ok. Most of it is mediocre. Not truly bad or anything.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 11:44 AM   #7
TboneS54
YNWA
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 M3 6spd & 2011 M3 DCT

Pretty sure they simply re-sell B&B blending products, like other detailing companies. So you'd only be able to critize CGs for branding, advertising, pricing, customer service, etc, not the actual products. All B&B blending products are good, so GC's labeled stuff will be good.
      05-02-2023, 01:50 PM   #8
Nettles
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakes1021 View Post
Nettles. I don’t think that’s an accurate statement by a long shop. I’ve personally tried multiple products for the same purpose and gotten different results from each.

Every product has its marketing. I’ve never personally seen any marketing for CG. And they have a brick and mortar store 10 mins from my house. But the do hold detailing classes, I can take my car there and say what’s this how do I address is and they have an answer and will even take the time to explain the product how to use it etc. which is more than I can say for any other product that I’ve used.

If you’ve had soem horrible result or experience please share. If not and you don’t like their products why not let other have their own experience?

I can tell you 75% if people at least. Don’t follow the direction printed on the freakin bottle. Watched a guy a few weeks ago complain to the manager who kindly asked, “did you do XYZ like it says in the directions?” The guy said “No, I did it this way”. He still got a full refund and a thanks for trying our product.

So customer service ++. Convenience for me++. Results have been good dure they have a few things I wasn’t a fan of. But over all good product if used correctly.

Again not the best on the market but no issues here. I pay for their products out of my own pocket if I didn’t like the results I wouldn’t. I shared my experience with most of the products I’ve used. You simply just said stay away.

So like I said if you have a reason, negative experience or result feel free to share.
Fair points made and let me say I'm not criticizing YOU for your choice. If you're happy with it at the end of the day then great!

I've been a weekend warrior since 2008. I've seen/read/reviewed/researched a lot on detailing in that time. I've used a handful of CG products in the earlier years and some performed just fine honestly (interior detailer/glossworkz/etc.). Having said that though I've found many other companies who deliver consistency and are more reputable. Personally I don't care for CG and their marketing tactics. There is no question they get their chemicals/ingredients/whatever you want to call it from a big supplier that probably a handful of others use as well.

For example, I just saw one of their IG videos promoting Butter Wet Wax on a scratched/paint transferred front bumper. They rub it in until the paint and scratch are gone. Completely misleading and not a real world representation at all of what the product does or is intended to do. I haven't followed their YouTube videos in years either, but back in the day their number one comment was that they only feature clean cars which was entirely true. Never saw a dirty car or an unedited clip to show the true cleaning power of their products (funnily I enjoyed Greg as the host). Safe to say near no one uses their paint correction line of products and they never broke into being a top contender for any LSP product in the past 5-10 years. I use this phrase lightly, but I would say "MOST professional detailers aren't using CG products in their lineup". Let's not get into the debate of who is a professional detailer, etc., but look at the big YouTube guys at least. Pretty sure ObsessedGarage or PantheOrganizer would not choose CG over other brands.

Misinformation is a really bad thing in general. Look at what happened in the past few years and the resulting war that's evolved with media. Detailing is on a small and unimportant scale I know, but CG really treads that line and somehow it's the first brand people get introduced to instead of Meguiars/Griots/Mothers/Turtle Wax/etc.

Again if anyone is happy using CG products, go for it. You don't need to spend CarPro money to get great results. There's something for everyone as far as brands go. CG just ain't it. Happy detailing everyone!
Appreciate 1
pz6193280.00
      05-02-2023, 05:14 PM   #9
spammysammich
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 Dakar Yellow II

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
I've had a 4 month old gallon bottle of their Eco smart waterless wash and wax grow a substantial amount of mold before I got to use it. I ended up straining it through a coffee filter and it worked well enough, but it was annoying. Haven't had Griots Rinseless do this under the same storage conditions.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 05:30 PM   #10
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneS54 View Post
Pretty sure they simply re-sell B&B blending products, like other detailing companies. So you'd only be able to critize CGs for branding, advertising, pricing, customer service, etc, not the actual products. All B&B blending products are good, so GC's labeled stuff will be good.
Correct - mid grade B&B products with a colorful label and catchy names. Perfectly fine for the average guy in his driveway, but there are definitely better products out there for not much more money. Most people don't care because they aren't detailing enthusiasts and it's the first thing that pops up on an Amazon search. CG has carved out that niche.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 05:35 PM   #11
snakes1021
Private First Class
Rep

Nettles,

Also all fair point. I personally don’t go off what anyone on YouTube has to say if I can help it. Simply because most are generating reveniew simply by saying a name or showing a label.

I spend a good amount of time in the show/detailing scene as well. Though it was long ago from geez the early 2000s until about 2009. Then strapped away. And am just now as of january getting back into the car thing. Cuz you know life lol. I have personally used mothers, turtle wax and meguiars and soem Hawaiian Island shine stuff that I can’t find anymore. All of which at one point or another have had an issue or 2 . Currently have mothers and some left over black magic stuff in the same bin as the CGs. I use to swear by the black magic tire foam.

Also pretty sure they do their own chemical thing at least that’s what their website is. But false claims/advertising abound.

As far as CGs they have a few things I would absolutly not recommend. There are several I would. No product works as advertised when you don’t follow the directions.

I was struggling with streaks and swirls on my carbon roof. I was always trying to get rid of them. they kept returning after a few days time. CG product eliminated that.

Like I said not the best, But good and convenient to gonto the store any day of the week and get what I need.
Appreciate 0