Closed Thread

05-19-2023, 05:09 PM   #155
bavarianboar
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 540i, 2020 430i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW012 View Post
wonder if the majority thinks this looks good?
Wrong thread but yeah it’s a good looking vehicle, desperately need new redesign of headlights, copy paste from z4 looks odd.

Edit: while we see all these boxy fronts on the other vehicles, this concept could really use a little more boxy flat vertical design in the front, headlights less sloping up to the hood. Just saying.

Driving: 2020 540i M-Sport Carbon Black, Ivory Nappa - Dec 2019 BTO - Feb 2020 Delivery
Returned: 2016 535i M-Sport Carbon Black, Ivory Nappa :: 2014 F30 335i M-Sport Min Grey, Coral Red :: 2011 E90 328i Deep Sea Blue, Oyster Dakota
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2023, 09:42 PM   #156
pharding
Major
Rep
Drives: 23 Audi Q4 e-tron + 14 X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Chinese made Honda Accord with a BMW grill. It’s ugly and bland.

Good thing I have zero brand loyalty, because this car and brand are cheeks.
Bye bye.
Appreciate 1
NGT25656.50
      05-20-2023, 03:24 AM   #157
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Angel View Post
The side of the car is nearly featureless, and they compensated with an overly stylized front end. I’ll reserve final judgment for better pics, but I’m not seeing much to like so far.
Don't forget that this is an M version. Take that away, and the front will also be nearly featureless.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2023, 04:24 AM   #158
adambmw
Rep
Drives: F32 420d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkizzo View Post
Door handles are such a small detail, but the flat look takes so much away from the current generation of BMWs
Glad it's not just me who thinks this. Trying the new handles at a BMW dealers, they don't feel nice to use either.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2023, 02:20 PM   #159
AD
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels and a door

Quote:
Originally Posted by advantage20 View Post
You're right:

thanks for the plug.

maybe I should stop making my work so realistic
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2023, 03:58 PM   #160
BMW012
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M550i CBM/Ivory

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post
thanks for the plug.

gotta make it clear if its a render
Appreciate 1
AD4.50
      05-20-2023, 11:38 PM   #161
AD
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels and a door

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW012 View Post
gotta make it clear if its a render
It was made clear in the youtube video description
Appreciate 1
BMW0121009.00
      05-21-2023, 09:46 AM   #162
NoSugar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

BMW taking no risks. Very forgettable design.
'15 F80 6MT M3, Austin Yellow
'12 E92 6MT M3, Space Grey
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2023, 11:39 AM   #163
advantage20
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post
thanks for the plug.

Excellent work indeed
Here is another plug:

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2023, 04:18 PM   #164
bavarianboar
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 540i, 2020 430i

Quote:
Originally Posted by advantage20 View Post
Excellent work indeed
Here is another plug:

Nice (render?)

Looks like the non m-sport version, lot of curves on the front bumper.

PHEV version like the outgoing 530e (US).

Driving: 2020 540i M-Sport Carbon Black, Ivory Nappa - Dec 2019 BTO - Feb 2020 Delivery
Returned: 2016 535i M-Sport Carbon Black, Ivory Nappa :: 2014 F30 335i M-Sport Min Grey, Coral Red :: 2011 E90 328i Deep Sea Blue, Oyster Dakota
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2023, 11:56 PM   #165
VonBimmer
His Vön:ness
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Mark my words. Electric cars are a sham. This is destined to colapse the car industry. I’m not excited for the change, because I think we’ve been sold a false bill of goods.

1. The required infrastructure is decades off if at all possible. (How can a city like LA meet demand when the are regularly at capacity on hot days). According to the DOE, we would need to produce 50% more electricity if every car was electric.

2. The power is NOT cheaper, and NOT cleaner in most cases. The latter is dependent on how the power is produced. Currently 60% of our power comes from fossil fuels.

3. Finally, where are all these dead batteries going to go in 10 years? Also how does all this procurement of lithium and rare earth effect the environment?

Wagner Evo1 FMIC, VRSF Catless DP, MHD Stage 2 Tune, VRSF Chargepipe w/Tial BOV, H&R Sport Springs w/Michelin PS4's
Appreciate 3
      05-22-2023, 12:43 AM   #166
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Yeh. I’m not against EVs but I am against government forcing everybody down that route when it’s not appripaye for everyone
It works for a proportion very well , but there are many where it does work well ( those who can’t charge at home and those travelling large distances)

It’s not as green as our governments make out. Sure some improvements but certainly not zero emission taking the whole chain into account

Technology still feels young

Problem is once car companies remove the ability to produce ICE cars, that’s it, no going back

The 5 is an executive car for want if a better term awhich is geared up for travelling large distances in comfort with some sportiness. Will the i5 still be able to do that ? Even fbb be it’s range is a 350 miles which seems to be the limit give it take for cars these days, is that enough?

Well one more day to go until the big teveal. I wonder if the build configuration will be ready tomorrow?
Appreciate 1
NGT25656.50
      05-22-2023, 05:00 AM   #167
Nahlem
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: None atm

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 m50  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonBimmer View Post
Mark my words. Electric cars are a sham. This is destined to colapse the car industry. I’m not excited for the change, because I think we’ve been sold a false bill of goods.

1. The required infrastructure is decades off if at all possible. (How can a city like LA meet demand when the are regularly at capacity on hot days). According to the DOE, we would need to produce 50% more electricity if every car was electric.

2. The power is NOT cheaper, and NOT cleaner in most cases. The latter is dependent on how the power is produced. Currently 60% of our power comes from fossil fuels.

3. Finally, where are all these dead batteries going to go in 10 years? Also how does all this procurement of lithium and rare earth effect the environment?

To answer some of you false claims as pre usual from EV bashers.

1. No it isn't decades off it actually quite ready for day to day use for most people that uses EVs for daily use. Sense most people can and will be able to charge at home without an issue and there is plenty of EV fast chargers out there. And most Americans drivers per 2021 drives about 37 miles per day that is 59 km. The average person in the Us gets gas for their cars roughly every week to 10 days. Depending on weather, driving style and so on and so forth just like with an EV. Except the EV is more efficient in that manner.

And 90% of statistics are made up or simply hidden in this case so i fact checked you and its between 20-50% more electricity.

And most of US electricity is actually from other sources then coal, but here goes more statistic according to EIA your electricity comes from 20% renewable that includes wind, 9,2% can be increased but is faulty in its way when it isn't windy no Electricity but its a good complement, hydro 6,3% can be increased by more efficient turbines upgrading current ones with newer tech, solar 2,8% LA could increase this a lot, biomass 1,3% this can be increased due to the massive amount of waste Americans produce, geothermal can also be increased by expansion of this tech.

19% is nuclear should be the main focus especially SMR and Gen 4 (a gathering name for new techs wihtin nuclear power) and Gen 5 nuclear power that uses almost 90% of the fuel.

Heck Finlands new reactor that just opened up its a Gen 3+ that reduced the fins prices by 75% already and had to be shut down because Electricy became to cheap! Can you imagine that i becomes to cheap so you have to shut it down.

22% coal this needs to be removed completely from the US. Even with coal an EV will outdo its counterpart in emission within 8-10 years of usage and American uses their car for about 14 years based on average numbers and an EV will last you 21 years. Based on the same set of driving not accounted for spirited driving and such.

38% Natural gas witch is also used for heating homes, water, cooking and such. There is far better tech that can be used instead of Gas for cooking and heating homes, such as heat pumps with proper inverters that are efficient in both cooling and heating. And using Inductions stoves instead of Natural Gas is far better choice and faster.

Heck even Texas uses natural gas for its main purposes of electricity. It aint a renewable but is far better then coal.

And BTW you can reduce power consumptions in homes by building them smarter with thicker walls that helps reduce your need for air condition and the extreme need of warming it during winters given though LA is quite warm so winters shouldn't be to much of an issue. The average exterior wall of an American home is 150-200 mm about six to eight inches, way to small, building thicker walls with better insulation also utilizing exterior sun blinds on windows instead of AC helps also cool the homes to a reasonable degree. And that also includes the extra needed materials for the home still offsets it better then needing to use AC.

2. The same DOE is also telling you that its 35-75% cheaper to run an EV then the cost of gas-powered vehicles. So stop nit picking your facts to fit your narrative. And you do know that when it comes to fossil fuels powering your car that the WTT report states also that the power used for refining the fuel ain't counted in to the emissions of the total ownage of a gas car? Right do you think refineries use other power sources to refine their fuel or are they using their own? How much natural gas do they use to refine that petrol/diesel? Or do you also believe that the fuel magicly appears at your fuel station for your consumption without any emissions? How much kW is used to power that fuel station of yours that you fuel your car at? How much does the pump use and how many uses that? The same electricity could be better used for guess what? EV charging! or something else. That we need the electricity badly for.

Do you also know it takes about 6 kilo Watt hours of electricity to refine a gallon of gasoline, then face value its easy to run a comparison here, 6 kWh gives about 20 miles range of an typical EV while 1 gallon of gasoline gives about 24 miles of range so instead of being wasteful going an extra step for that range by refining it to gasoline with all the toxic by products produced by the Refineries then its far better to use that KWH directly in to the EV. Not to mention it needs transporting to the nearest fuel station. Witch it in self is extremely wasteful.

3. The same place all the scarped car engines will end up, recycling hopefully and not in big landfills. Then again if you want to talk about waste management Americans throw out about 4,9 pounds of trash per person every day. And 62% of the waste is done by homes and business and loads of it ends up in landfills so.

You want to worry about waste management start checking your self first before bashing a tech that you simply don't like.

Enough with you folks spreading crap about EVs just because you don't want one doesn't mean that they won't work for most people.

And before you come at me with one of those ridiculous examples like "Well i need to go cross country every two weeks with my pickup hauling a gigantic caravan that is as luxurious as my home. To the natural park, across the country where i can be on vacation then back again and so on so forth with those examples. Congratulations your the exception not the norm.

Yeah take a flight and check in at a hotel its cheaper.

Former Car:BMW i4 M50 Brooklyn Grey (MY22)| BMW i3s BEV (MY19)|Former Car: BMW X1 20d x-drive (MY16)|BMW m235i (MY14)|Former Car: BMW 120d (MY12)|Former Car: Volvo C30 T5 R-Design (MY08)|Former Car: Volvo C70 T5 (MY06)|Former Car: Volvo S40 2.0T(MY1999)
Appreciate 2
Chas8283351.50
TXSchnee1316.50
      05-22-2023, 05:36 AM   #168
DBV1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5d 2021 Tesla S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post
I think the car looks fine, I just don’t understand the point of it.

The 5 series is a dying car. The 5 guys have either moved onto an X5 or even the 7. The few remaining are old school guys that love their ICE cars. I suppose this car is targeting the model S crowd and I’m sure they’ll snag a few of those potential buyers from Tesla, but why not invest this money into a segment that would sell like hotcakes? The small SAV that starts in the 55–60k range. Give us an electric X3 or bring over the iX 40. I know I see ten model Y’s to every S.

On top of that, BMW is already struggling to produce the i4 M50 to the point where there are now wait times much greater than the M3. Over year long waits for one of those which I assume has the same battery.

Seems like this car was designed for other markets.
Disagree. No way would I move to an SUV and will always be sedan guy. After 4 5 Series in a row, moved to a Tesla Model S and really enjoy it. I will never go back to ICE.

My wife still keeps her X5d.

Looking forward to seeing the i5, but just hope the range and power are great, otherwise will lose all interest in it. At least it does not have the hideous grill of some of the newer BMW’s.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2023, 07:12 AM   #169
mbanck
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 320ci, BMW F34 330dx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahlem View Post
Heck Finlands new reactor that just opened up its a Gen 3+ that reduced the fins prices by 75% already and had to be shut down because Electricy became to cheap! Can you imagine that i becomes to cheap so you have to shut it down.
I think you got that backwards. The reactor was powered down because overall electricity prices were too low (or rather, negative) in order to operate it profitably. This was due to abundant water-power (due to floodings) that could not be cut down as easily as usually, see https://yle.fi/a/74-20032375
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2023, 08:23 AM   #170
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i xDrive (2020)

Garage List
Quote:

1. No it isn't decades off it actually quite ready for day to day use for most people that uses EVs for daily use. Sense most people can and will be able to charge at home without an issue and there is plenty of EV fast chargers out there. And most Americans drivers per 2021 drives about 37 miles per day that is 59 km. The average person in the Us gets gas for their cars roughly every week to 10 days. Depending on weather, driving style and so on and so forth just like with an EV. Except the EV is more efficient in that manner.

And 90% of statistics are made up or simply hidden in this case so i fact checked you and its between 20-50% more electricity.

And most of US electricity is actually from other sources then coal, but here goes more statistic according to EIA your electricity comes from 20% renewable that includes wind, 9,2% can be increased but is faulty in its way when it isn't windy no Electricity but its a good complement, hydro 6,3% can be increased by more efficient turbines upgrading current ones with newer tech, solar 2,8% LA could increase this a lot, biomass 1,3% this can be increased due to the massive amount of waste Americans produce, geothermal can also be increased by expansion of this tech.

19% is nuclear should be the main focus especially SMR and Gen 4 (a gathering name for new techs wihtin nuclear power) and Gen 5 nuclear power that uses almost 90% of the fuel.

Heck Finlands new reactor that just opened up its a Gen 3+ that reduced the fins prices by 75% [...]
You’re going to rebuild homes and replace appliances for 300 million people in the United States?

EV’s are neat and I’m happy for people to have them. To think we’re ready for all vehicles to be electric is nonsense.

RETIRED: 2018 540i Luxury Line (Dark Graphite/Canberra Beige)
Appreciate 1
Blue Angel1000.50
      05-22-2023, 08:27 AM   #171
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Heck Finlands new reactor that just opened up its a Gen 3+ that reduced the fins prices by 75% [...]
Let me sum up your points - “Here’s the deal, all you resnecks are going to change your lifestyle and behavior because we said so and we are right and you are wrong, because we said so.”

The proper way to change the world is not through regulation, it is through efficiency and markets. Tech becomes obsolete because cost and performance and efficiency dictate so. That’s how the EV people should be approaching this. Kill ICE on the playing field, not the board rooms and legislatures.

Appreciate 2
Blue Angel1000.50
tsbrown1054.50
      05-22-2023, 08:29 AM   #172
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonBimmer View Post

Yeah it’s bullshit but put your real thinking cap on… the powers pushing EV from the top don’t want us all driving EV’s. They want a lot of us to give up personal transportation all together.

Appreciate 1
Blue Angel1000.50
      05-22-2023, 08:49 AM   #173
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by E66er View Post
I can't make my mind up yet - it's one pic. The details look ok, but proportions look off from this angle.
hopefully more comes out soon, but for me also to be 100% I like to see in person, so far this does look good but agree, lets see some more!!

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2023, 09:38 AM   #174
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBV1 View Post
Disagree. No way would I move to an SUV and will always be sedan guy. After 4 5 Series in a row, moved to a Tesla Model S and really enjoy it. I will never go back to ICE.

My wife still keeps her X5d.

Looking forward to seeing the i5, but just hope the range and power are great, otherwise will lose all interest in it. At least it does not have the hideous grill of some of the newer BMW’s.
That's great. Hope it blows the model S away!
      05-22-2023, 09:56 AM   #175
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:

22% coal this needs to be removed completely from the US. Even with coal an EV will outdo its counterpart in emission within 8-10 years of usage and American uses their car for about 14 years based on average numbers and an EV will last you 21 years. Based on the same set of driving not accounted for spirited driving and such.

38% Natural gas witch is also used for heating homes, water, cooking and such. There is far better tech that can be used instead of Gas for cooking and heating homes, such as heat pumps with proper inverters that are efficient in both cooling and heating. And using Inductions stoves instead of Natural Gas is far better choice and faster.

Heck even Texas uses natural gas for its main purposes of electricity. It aint a renewable but is far better then coal.

And BTW you can reduce power consumptions in homes by building them smarter with thicker walls that helps reduce your need for air condition and the extreme need of warming it during winters given though LA is quite warm so winters shouldn't be to much of an issue. The average exterior wall of an American home is 150-200 mm about six to eight inches, way to small, building thicker walls with better insulation also utilizing exterior sun blinds on windows instead of AC helps also cool the homes to a reasonable degree. And that also includes the extra needed materials for the home still offsets it better then needing to use AC.

2. The same DOE is also telling you that its 35-75% cheaper to run an EV then the cost of gas-powered vehicles. So stop nit picking your facts to fit your narrative. And you do know that when it comes to fossil fuels powering your car that the WTT report states also that the power used for refining the fuel ain't counted in to the emissions of the total ownage of a gas car? Right do you think refineries use other power sources to refine their fuel or are they using their own? How much natural gas do they use to refine that petrol/diesel? Or do you also believe that the fuel magicly appears at your fuel station for your consumption without any emissions? How much kW is used to power that fuel station of yours that you fuel your car at? How much does the pump use and how many uses that? The same electricity could be better used for guess what? EV charging! or something else. That we need the electricity badly for.

Do you also know it takes about 6 kilo Watt hours of electricity to refine a gallon of gasoline, then face value its easy to run a comparison here, 6 kWh gives about 20 miles range of an typical EV while 1 gallon of gasoline gives about 24 miles of range so instead of being wasteful going an extra step for that range by refining it to gasoline with all the toxic by products produced by the Refineries then its far better to use that KWH directly in to the EV. Not to mention it needs transporting to the nearest fuel station. Witch it in self is extremely wasteful.

3. The same place all the scarped car engines will end up, recycling hopefully and not in big landfills. Then again if you want to talk about waste management Americans throw out about 4,9 pounds of trash per person every day. And 62% of the waste is done by homes and business and loads of it ends up in landfills so.

You want to worry about waste management start checking your self first before bashing a tech that you simply don't like.

Enough with you folks spreading crap about EVs just because you don't want one doesn't mean that they won't work for most people.

And before you come at me with one of those ridiculous examples like "Well i need to go cross country every two weeks with my pickup hauling a gigantic caravan that is as luxurious as my home. To the natural park, across the country where i can be on vacation then back again and so on so forth with those examples. Congratulations your the exception not the norm.

Yeah take a flight and check in at a hotel its cheaper.

All of this is nonsense. You don’t save the environment by buying new stuff.
This isn’t a push for “green” it’s a push for control through tying all your activities through the electrical grid.

I posted it elsewhere, but Shell openly stated that with this new “Green” initiative your carbon footprint will be so regulated, you will have to choose between charging your car, or drying clothes, or even making toast.

https://www.shellenergy.co.uk/blog/p...ture-of-energy

Quote:
Smart meters bring a whole host of benefits: they’ll tell you how much you’re spending in real time, which means there are no nasty surprises when your bill turns up. … But, perhaps best of all, smart meters give you real-time information on your energy use.

They let you know exactly how much it’s costing you to boil that kettle or charge your phone. Armed with this knowledge, you can make a more informed decision about whether to turn up the heating, or put another load in the tumble dryer. …

“Smart meters are set to revolutionise the way we use electricity. They make it easier for suppliers like us to offer cheaper, off-peak rates for, say, charging your electric car. They tell us more about how you use your energy, which means we can offer you more suitable tariffs. It may be that, one day, you’re offered cheaper electricity on sunny or windy days, when clean energy is easier to come by.”
Everyone is pretending that these cars are green and ignoring the massive human capital needed to mine lithium - most of which comes from countries that have been destabilized so we (the west) can plunder their resources for pennies on the dollar.

We also ignore the longevity of these cars - 2000lb + battery packs will be paperweights soon. The idea that they will recycle it (but have nothing in place to do so) is a fairytale at best.

People here don’t care - they just want the newest thing to flex and show off

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGT2 View Post
Yeah it’s bullshit but put your real thinking cap on… the powers pushing EV from the top don’t want us all driving EV’s. They want a lot of us to give up personal transportation all together.
This is true. Eventually it will be “costly” for people to own cars - so you’ll rent or ride share.

You’ll own nothing and be happy.
Appreciate 2
Blue Angel1000.50
NGT25656.50
      05-22-2023, 10:39 AM   #176
tastevens
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

BMW Management,

No Bugs Bunny toothy grille.

No Bangle Butt.

Way to go...you didn't f@#* it up!

(Fun to drive would be great too... Embrace your inner E39)
Appreciate 1
NGT25656.50
Closed Thread