BMW i5 and 5-Series Forum

05-24-2023, 12:18 PM   #1
jcob2
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 550xi

Newbie pricing question: i5 pre-orders

1st post here. Long-time driver of 2016 550xi. Been following the i-series for the last few years and was intrigued by i4 but really waiting for i5. Watched the pre-order live this morning (I found it really lame and cheesy and over-produced). Glad to have found some other pre-produced reviews of the car online that were released this morning as well and give way more info than the official BMW stream did!

Anyways, question about how pricing works with the pre-sale process at BMW. I've never purchased a new BMW before and this car market with dealer ADMs is just insane stupid right now.

I completed the pre-order process this morning shortly after it opened and put in the $1,500 deposit and selected my local dealer. The pre-order confirmation email states "Due to limited availability, your pre-order does not guarantee availability of a 2024 model, or the pricing shown in the pre-order process. Depending on availability, your pre-order may instead reserve a 2025 BMW i5, for which pricing is not yet available". What I am asking the group here is whether this is just a caveat about "you may not get a 2024 build and MSRP pricing for 2025 is not yet set and may increase"? OR.... is it "dealer sets pricing. Your pre-order is no guarantee dealer will sell at MSRP. Get the lube out and be ready to get bent over for a huge ADM if the dealer wants to"...?

I'm in interested in the car, and especially if I can get an early build while car is still new/rare, but only at MSRP. If dealerships are playing the ADM game with this car, I'm out and will just request a refund of the deposit I put down this morning. My 2016 550 works just fine.

Yes, I know I can call the dealership and ask. Curious what others know on this topic first. Dealership I selected for the pre-order is Patrick BMW in Schaumburg, IL.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2023, 01:16 PM   #2
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Dealer sets pricing. Already seen a broker advertising 3% off msrp for pre-orders. So I would shoot for below msrp, no less.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2023, 04:32 PM   #3
BimmerBahn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5, 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [9.50]
100% depends on the dealer. WRT my i4 M50 preorder, I was a day one, hour one pre-order. Once the dealer reached out for the config, I asked if it was MSRP or MSRP+….their policy was MSRP only, which was fine. However, I heard from several about ADM’s at various dealers….. so my recommendation is to find a dealer that will do MSRP only or if you’re on the east coast, pick any dealer nationwide and select performance center delivery in Greer, SC… it’s a great experience, no cost (aside from travel to GSP) and you get some track time in various BMW’s