09-04-2024, 10:40 AM   #9153
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I have previously stated my situation about EV charging at my home. It would be inconvenient for me. My charging station would have to be at my detached garage/shop, which is a three-minute walk from the house. The ground to traverse is a combination of river sand/stones and grass. In the rain it would completely suck to make that walk over to the EV to unplug it. On top of that I would not have any comms with the car to have it precondition in advance of unscheduled use.

An obvious individual use case, but easier for me just to take an ICEV to the gas station in town 13 miles away when I'm out and about.
I wasn’t talking about you. There was someone who actually said the act of plugging it in everyday was too much work or something.

Sounds like an EV is not for you. We have a detached garage with no power in NC and so I never bring the Tesla. I recently added power, mainly for my workshop I have in there and being able to plug my RV, so we may start brining the Tesla in the future.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh18659.50
      09-04-2024, 11:15 AM   #9154
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I wasn’t talking about you. There was someone who actually said the act of plugging it in everyday was too much work or something.

Sounds like an EV is not for you. We have a detached garage with no power in NC and so I never bring the Tesla. I recently added power, mainly for my workshop I have in there and being able to plug my RV, so we may start brining the Tesla in the future.
I do think that plugging in EVs every day would be annoying. Imagine it's raining, you've got to get your briefcase out of the car, maybe a gym bag or lunchbox, now you've got to go plug the damn thing in too?

Maybe not an issue if you park your penalty box in the garage, but IMO garages are for.fun cars not daily drivers, so in my world it sits in the driveway.

I don't even plug my phone in to charge anymore. I think once they come up with a good wireless charging solution for EVs, it will help with adoption. As much as some people seem to dislike going to the gas station, there's people that dislike having to plug in a charger. Wireless charging is going to take that inconvenience away, and Americans buy the removal of inconvenience.

But there's a much bigger truth in your post. "Sounds like an EV isn't for you". There's a LOT of people like that. Our government ignoring that is going to create a really big problem down the line, and the fools who put us on this path won't have to deal with it's fallout because they'll be retired on the public dime.
Appreciate 4
eugenebmw1954.00
lakefront593.00
kyriian938.50
Efthreeoh18659.50
      09-04-2024, 11:42 AM   #9155
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkGS View Post
I do think that plugging in EVs every day would be annoying. Imagine it's raining, you've got to get your briefcase out of the car, maybe a gym bag or lunchbox, now you've got to go plug the damn thing in too?

Maybe not an issue if you park your penalty box in the garage, but IMO garages are for.fun cars not daily drivers, so in my world it sits in the driveway.

I don't even plug my phone in to charge anymore. I think once they come up with a good wireless charging solution for EVs, it will help with adoption. As much as some people seem to dislike going to the gas station, there's people that dislike having to plug in a charger. Wireless charging is going to take that inconvenience away, and Americans buy the removal of inconvenience.

But there's a much bigger truth in your post. "Sounds like an EV isn't for you". There's a LOT of people like that. Our government ignoring that is going to create a really big problem down the line, and the fools who put us on this path won't have to deal with it's fallout because they'll be retired on the public dime.
The difference is I do both. I go to the gas station and I plug in my EV. I hate the latter a lot more.

Anyways the thread basically boils down to one sentence. EVs are great for some people, not for others. Everything else is politics and I’ve already stated my opinion on that.
Appreciate 2
eugenebmw1954.00
      09-04-2024, 12:11 PM   #9156
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Anyways the thread basically boils down to one sentence. EVs are great for some people, not for others. Everything else is politics and I’ve already stated my opinion on that.
Totally agree. It's the politics that hampers EV adoption IMO. I think that had it not become a.pplktocal.tbing, PHEVs would have eased the transition, and it wouldn't have been such a "us vs them" thing. I think had PHEVs been the gateway, people would be a lot more accepting of changing to EVs.

The second that California and other places put forth proposals to ban ICE sales, it became a lost cause. Americans REALLY don't like being told what to do
Appreciate 4
      09-04-2024, 02:04 PM   #9157
eugenebmw
Captain
Rep
Drives: G15 M850i G82 M4, G22 M440

Quote:
Nah.

The biggest decision to make is, do I cross the street to fill up, or go to the gas station on my side of the street?

EV range anxiety is planning routes around electic fuel depots and alternate planning in cases where the fuel depot is non-operational or full. You need 4 trip planning aps and 4 charge network aps to cover all payment scenarios. ICEV is driving wherever you want because there is always a gas station, everywhere, with 5-minute refueling. It's just the way it is. You can try and make shit up, but ICEV just don't have range anxiety. The owner can be stupid and run out of fuel, but the system vehicle/refuel network is quite robust and convenient.

And with EV, if you don't have home charging, your screwed.

True and nothing but true The owner can be stupid and run out of fuel, but the system vehicle/refuel network is quite robust and convenient.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick66284.50
Efthreeoh18659.50
      09-04-2024, 03:32 PM   #9158
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Totally agree. It's the politics that hampers EV adoption IMO. I think that had it not become a.pplktocal.tbing, PHEVs would have eased the transition, and it wouldn't have been such a "us vs them" thing. I think had PHEVs been the gateway, people would be a lot more accepting of changing to EVs.

The second that California and other places put forth proposals to ban ICE sales, it became a lost cause. Americans REALLY don't like being told what to do
I hate to breach protocol, but CARB started this whole thing in the 1960s and is driving it to this day. That's all I'm saying on the subject.
Appreciate 2
eugenebmw1954.00
M5Rick66284.50
      09-04-2024, 04:33 PM   #9159
Condorll
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

Quote:
Same. I get gas at Sam's or Costco. I'm at one, or both, of them at least once a week .taking an extra 5 minutes to get gas before or after getting groceries is super easy and convenient.

I'm sure you know Costco Gas is Top Tier and Sam's is not. I wouldn't trust Sams gas personally, stick to Costco, Sunoco, Shell for Top Tier gas.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2024, 05:25 PM   #9160
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condorll View Post
I'm sure you know Costco Gas is Top Tier and Sam's is not. I wouldn't trust Sams gas personally, stick to Costco, Sunoco, Shell for Top Tier gas.

Top tier gas is a marketing gimmick. I could care less about it. I fill up at wherever, and run some PEA fuel cleaner once a year. Top tier gas is a "run a test and pay our licensing fee for the cert" kinda deal.
Appreciate 1
TboneS541149.00
      09-05-2024, 07:27 AM   #9161
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Too bad Tesla has not figured out a way for its cars to plug/unplug themselves, then I could summon it to come to me in the rain and park itself in the rain; but I'd have to setup a wifi booster link system to make it work.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 3
M5Rick66284.50
eugenebmw1954.00
      09-05-2024, 07:59 AM   #9162
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:

Complete non issue IMHO. Currently dailying a 330e which only has 24 miles of range in the summer, so I'm constantly plugging and unplugging. It's also parked outside 24/7. Keep in mind my charger stays at home, so I don't have to throw it in the trunk, therefore the act of plugging in and taking off takes me less than 10 seconds each time.

To be able to have truly instant heat in the winter is well worth that little effort. This is also on level 1 charging, so I'm doing it all the time.

P.S. Without road trips, I'm averaging about 70% electric driving during my normal commute and errands. Quite a bit higher than I expected which is a pleasant surprise.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2024, 08:27 AM   #9163
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Complete non issue IMHO. Currently dailying a 330e which only has 24 miles of range in the summer, so I'm constantly plugging and unplugging. It's also parked outside 24/7. Keep in mind my charger stays at home, so I don't have to throw it in the trunk, therefore the act of plugging in and taking off takes me less than 10 seconds each time.

To be able to have truly instant heat in the winter is well worth that little effort. This is also on level 1 charging, so I'm doing it all the time.

P.S. Without road trips, I'm averaging about 70% electric driving during my normal commute and errands. Quite a bit higher than I expected which is a pleasant surprise.
All of that sounds incredibly challenging. I don't think the average person could ever overcome those obstacles like plugging in a car and then, wow, unplugging the car. Ten seconds is a very very long time when you stop and wait for those seconds to tick by. I don't see EVs going anywhere. They are just too hard. Also, having instant heat in the winter is just going to really stress people out and make them not want to drive.

Just an average man. Here is me trying to wash my car. No way we can handle EVs:

Last edited by gblansten; 09-05-2024 at 08:49 AM..
Appreciate 2
      09-05-2024, 09:45 AM   #9164
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
All of that sounds incredibly challenging. I don't think the average person could ever overcome those obstacles like plugging in a car and then, wow, unplugging the car. Ten seconds is a very very long time when you stop and wait for those seconds to tick by. I don't see EVs going anywhere. They are just too hard. Also, having instant heat in the winter is just going to really stress people out and make them not want to drive.

Just an average man. Here is me trying to wash my car. No way we can handle EVs.
Maybe some of the slowdown in EV adoption rate is due to retiring Boomers. My daily requirements could now surely be supported by an EV. But in the near future I'll hang the cleats up and will road trip more often. The problem with the current offerings for EV is there really are no cool EV to buy, like an equivalent to the BMW 3-Series convertible, or a sports coupe, and they are boring to drive. Sure, Hyundai comes up with the 5N with its fakiness, but people in my age group are not its target audience. Recreational road tripping in an EV is just too much a PITA.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick66284.50
eugenebmw1954.00
      09-05-2024, 09:54 AM   #9165
crAbb
As above, so it is below
Rep
Drives: M340i

Attached Images

Appreciate 2
M5Rick66284.50
eugenebmw1954.00
      09-05-2024, 09:55 AM   #9166
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Maybe some of the slowdown in EV adoption rate is due to retiring Boomers. My daily requirements could now surely be supported by an EV. But in the near future I'll hang the cleats up and will road trip more often. The problem with the current offerings for EV is there really are no cool EV to buy, like an equivalent to the BMW 3-Series convertible, or a sports coupe, and they are boring to drive. Sure, Hyundai comes up with the 5N with its fakiness, but people in my age group are not its target audience. Recreational road tripping in an EV is just too much a PITA.
I have yet to find 1020 hp boring and my car handles really well on highway sweepers. But I agree no viable roadster/convertible at this point.

Edit: There is likely not going to be much of a market for EV versions of GTs and convertibles. The Lexus LC500 is an amazing car that looks spectacular and has a NA V8. AND...no one buys it.

Last edited by gblansten; 09-05-2024 at 10:09 AM..
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh18659.50
      09-05-2024, 10:29 AM   #9167
kyriian
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Black Sapphire Z4MR

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011 Scion tC  [0.00]
Quote:
I have yet to find 1020 hp boring and my car handles really well on highway sweepers. But I agree no viable roadster/convertible at this point.

Edit: There is likely not going to be much of a market for EV versions of GTs and convertibles. The Lexus LC500 is an amazing car that looks spectacular and has a NA V8. AND...no one buys it.
Like EVs, different stroke for different folks. I don't find big horsepower all that interesting, nor do I find big heavy boats all that interesting. But that's just me preferring to wrung out every 100 horsepower available in a MX5 as fun. But you do you

Porsche is coming with its Boxster EV, certainly things are going to get interesting on that front though.

I will return to the track, one day.
Appreciate 2
gblansten2383.50
eugenebmw1954.00
      09-05-2024, 10:31 AM   #9168
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyriian View Post
Like EVs, different stroke for different folks. I don't find big horsepower all that interesting, nor do I find big heavy boats all that interesting. But that's just me preferring to wrung out every 100 horsepower available in a MX5 as fun. But you do you

Porsche is coming with its Boxster EV, certainly things are going to get interesting on that front though.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2024, 10:38 AM   #9169
kyriian
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Black Sapphire Z4MR

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011 Scion tC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/spy-shots/porsche/electric-boxster-and-cayman-sports-car/

https://dealer.porsche.com/ca/vancou...ectric-by-2025

Yep

I will return to the track, one day.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2024, 10:42 AM   #9170
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyriian View Post

It will be interesting on how they position the Porsches on price. That Porsche tax has been very high and the Taycan depreciation has been pretty bad.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2024, 10:46 AM   #9171
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Just back a few years ago when I had the E46 330Cic and one of the dogs still hanging with us, my wife and I and the pup (at 16 years old) would take the Cabrio out on a day trip running the West Virginia mountains in the Fall. In the back seat, we'd prop the pup's bed up to eye level (for him) to see out of the car. He liked to cruise with us that way, but not in any of our sedan, coupe, or truck. We couldn't think to leave him at home all day after his brother passed a year earlier.

What a great way to spend the day for us and the pup. Not seeing an EV on the market for that use case.

1,000 HP is just not applicable here. I had low 3-second sport bikes back in the early 1990's, so BFD on the Plaid. And I road tripped the CBR back then too. Never boring.
Appreciate 2
gblansten2383.50
eugenebmw1954.00
      09-05-2024, 11:38 AM   #9172
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Too bad Tesla has not figured out a way for its cars to plug/unplug themselves, then I could summon it to come to me in the rain and park itself in the rain; but I'd have to setup a wifi booster link system to make it work.
They briefly messed around with the idea of a snake like plug that could plug itself. I also recall reading something about someone seeing something on the cybertruck related to conductive charging down the road. I personally wouldn’t hold my breath on anything Tesla is promising down the road.

Honestly if anyone wanted to talk legitimate shit about Tesla it would be all their bs promises and especially FSD. They gave FSD to everyone for free for a month a couple month back so I tried it. While it’s impressive… there is no way I would let that shit drive me by itself. They are suppose to have some announcement about robo taxis this month or next month. Can’t wait to hear what bs they plan to announce.

That being said the regular autopilot adaptive cruise and lane keep is really good. Now that I have power in the NC garage I’m looking forward to trying the trip in the Tesla. I have done it before but just by myself and I actually enjoyed it.
Appreciate 2
gblansten2383.50
Efthreeoh18659.50
      09-05-2024, 12:05 PM   #9173
UPSROD
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Really sick of seeing this thread every time I go on the E9X site!
Appreciate 1
      09-05-2024, 01:11 PM   #9174
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPSROD View Post
Really sick of seeing this thread every time I go on the E9X site!
Oh diddums.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh18659.50