BMW i5 and 5-Series Forum

08-04-2024, 08:16 AM   #67
PsychDoc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 540ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiredaleDad View Post
There is no bubble to burst. I am a realist. You very well might be right. I know production doesn't actually start until 151 (Body Shop). My Broker was the one who told me that it had gone into production early. It was not expected to go Code 150 until week 36. That's all I know. As long as I now have a Vin # I can complete the financial side. I cannot follow it like all of you can on the BMW App due to my circumstances. It shows as a valid VIN, and allowed me to add it to the App on my phone, but won't allow me to track it on my computer.
Like others have said, status 150 DOES NOT mean that production has started. It's very misleading and I wish BMW would change the description of 150 to something like "getting parts needed for production" or something like that. The build week they tell us is really when actual production begins. And once it begins it flies through the process and is finished in 2-3 days. From there it goes to the port for shipping where there can be some significant delays ranging from a few days to up to 3-4 weeks before it gets on a ship. I was very lucky as my car was on a ship within a few days but others have had to wait at the port for quite a long time. As you are in Spain, they will probably ship your car directly from Dingolfing to the dealership in Spain by rail or truck transport.
Appreciate 4
ToddRGuy1396.00
SkykingUSA2553.50
LVBMW2350.50
      08-04-2024, 11:36 AM   #68
ToddRGuy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A5, 2025 BMW 540 -Ordered

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychDoc View Post
Like others have said, status 150 DOES NOT mean that production has started. It's very misleading and I wish BMW would change the description of 150 to something like "getting parts needed for production" or something like that. The build week they tell us is really when actual production begins. And once it begins it flies through the process and is finished in 2-3 days. From there it goes to the port for shipping where there can be some significant delays ranging from a few days to up to 3-4 weeks before it gets on a ship. I was very lucky as my car was on a ship within a few days but others have had to wait at the port for quite a long time. As you are in Spain, they will probably ship your car directly from Dingolfing to the dealership in Spain by rail or truck transport.
That's a very good suggestion. I mean, from a technical perspective, I'm sure BMW considers sourcing parts and gathering them into inventory for assembly part of the production process, however, it is a bit misleading for a customer facing website interface. Maybe "Staging for Production" with a description "Materials necessary for the assembly if your unique BMW are being allocated for production." lol.
Appreciate 3
Scrapula4147.50
SkykingUSA2553.50
LVBMW2350.50
      08-04-2024, 02:01 PM   #69
LVBMW
Major
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60 '23 Tesla Model Y-P

Garage List
Quote:
There is no bubble to burst. I am a realist. You very well might be right. I know production doesn't actually start until 151 (Body Shop). My Broker was the one who told me that it had gone into production early. It was not expected to go Code 150 until week 36. That's all I know. As long as I now have a Vin # I can complete the financial side. I cannot follow it like all of you can on the BMW App due to my circumstances. It shows as a valid VIN, and allowed me to add it to the App on my phone, but won't allow me to track it on my computer.
Vehicles normally go to code 150 (production begins) typically well ahead of the build week. Then during the build week it will move quickly through 151 and beyond within a couple of days. As others have said, BMW should chose a different phrase for this stage since production isn’t beginning in the sense we all think it means.
Appreciate 2
SkykingUSA2553.50
ToddRGuy1396.00
      08-05-2024, 12:38 AM   #70
AiredaleDad
Lieutenant
Spain
Rep
Drives: 2010 Mercedes CLC 200 CDI

Garage List
Agreed. It is a bit misleading. I have to go to the Broker today to get the paperwork for the bank, now that I have a VIN. I'll ask him to pull it up just to see if it changed or just gives any more info. Last time he said it went 150 earlier than expected, but still showed Week 36 as build week. So what you all are saying makes sense. Will see.
Appreciate 3
SkykingUSA2553.50
ToddRGuy1396.00
LVBMW2350.50
      08-05-2024, 01:42 PM   #71
jfrom_waw
Rep
Drives: BMW G60

Hi! My first post here!
I’ve got my car on status 150 as a week with production set to week 35.
Appreciate 6
LVBMW2350.50
SkykingUSA2553.50
ToddRGuy1396.00
Scrapula4147.50
RoGo330i159.00
patch5674146.00
      08-07-2024, 03:36 PM   #72
patch5674
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F40 118i

Also scheduled for Week 36- Week commencing 2nd September.

I think i read in another thread that the productions are done in color and mine is Carbon Black same as Todd's but Airedale yours is Oxide right?

Are you guys in WK 36 scheduled for early October delivery?

That is what my UK dealer has updated me this week.
Appreciate 2
ToddRGuy1396.00
SkykingUSA2553.50
      08-07-2024, 06:33 PM   #73
ToddRGuy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by patch5674 View Post

I think i read in another thread that the productions are done in color and mine is Carbon Black same as Todd's but Airedale yours is Oxide right?

Nice colour choice, Sir! 😎 My dealer hasn’t really mentioned anything about delivery. I’m guessing that if it’s built the first week of September it could take anywhere between 4-7 weeks? Depending on how long it sits at the port waiting for a ship for transport.

Maybe someone else can comment on what their best guess estimate would be?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2024, 02:36 AM   #74
AiredaleDad
Lieutenant
Spain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by patch5674 View Post

Correct. Mine is Oxide Grey. Currently I am code 150 (In Production) But not really. It basically means the configuration is locked down, and you can no longer make changes because the factory is sourcing the components for your specific build. It also means your car is now in the production queue.

I also have a VIN. I am not sure if that is assigned as soon as an engine is selected and dedicated to my specific car, or if it is all in the computer as parts are assigned and an VIN number is assigned that will be put on all the required parts and locations. However I was originally (And still am as far as the dealer's computer says) assigned a week 36 build. Others on scheduled week 36 in this Forum have moved to Code 150 already, and others have not.

From what I understand that can move up, or back, depending on when the color is slated in the schedule. I don't know how frequently they assign colors to the paint booths. Does it depend on how many they have ready for that color, or day of the week, or the booth manager's whims? Who knows? I am sure there is some logic behind it. I don't know if they only do one color per day, or they can change out more frequently.

I also don't know if they have different assembly lines in the factory for EU Spec, UK/Japan/Australia etc. (Right Hand Drive), and for US Spec cars. It would make more sense as the 540i with the B58 Inline 6 gas engine is not available in the EU, or UK (Not sure about Japan). It is North America Only. Or if it's just different assembly lines for ICE and for EV's
Appreciate 2
SkykingUSA2553.50
ToddRGuy1396.00
      08-08-2024, 03:53 PM   #75
ToddRGuy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I also don't know if they have different assembly lines in the factory for EU Spec, UK/Japan/Australia etc. (Right Hand Drive), and for US Spec cars. It would make more sense as the 540i with the B58 Inline 6 gas engine is not available in the EU, or UK (Not sure about Japan). It is North America Only. Or if it's just different assembly lines for ICE and for EV's

That is an interesting thought on how they organize their workload, beyond color. Based on the videos I’d say they’d almost have to separate EV from ICE during certain aspects of manufacturing. The video of them linking the battery pack, frame and chassis are quite a unique step in BEV construction.

As far as engines go, maybe specific days with B48s and B58s?

The interior trim, options, specific wheels, etc I’d assume they’d do those “adhoc”. I saw in the video they had entire dashboards with specific trim already mounted. They robotically selected it and moved it into place. The guys on the line probably have a computer that tells the 662221 needs Blue oak, and they quick pick one from the racks beside the line and slap it in. Same with caliper choices or any number of other options.
Appreciate 3
SkykingUSA2553.50
LVBMW2350.50
      08-09-2024, 01:06 AM   #76
AiredaleDad
Lieutenant
Spain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddRGuy View Post
That is an interesting thought on how they organize their workload, beyond color. Based on the videos I’d say they’d almost have to separate EV from ICE during certain aspects of manufacturing. The video of them linking the battery pack, frame and chassis are quite a unique step in BEV construction.

As far as engines go, maybe specific days with B48s and B58s?

The interior trim, options, specific wheels, etc I’d assume they’d do those “adhoc”. I saw in the video they had entire dashboards with specific trim already mounted. They robotically selected it and moved it into place. The guys on the line probably have a computer that tells the 662221 needs Blue oak, and they quick pick one from the racks beside the line and slap it in. Same with caliper choices or any number of other options.
Yeah, but I also wonder about Left hand Drive vs Right hand drive. In the videos you see them working on both sides of the car in a neatly choreographed manner. So many of the unique components for a RH drive car would be on the right side of the line, and LH Drive on the left and so on. I imagine they have separate lines for that. Probably would be confusing to swap all the components around on the same day. Given there are fewer countries with RH Drive, I'm guessing it would be an offshoot of the main line at that point.
Appreciate 2
ToddRGuy1396.00
SkykingUSA2553.50
      08-09-2024, 10:38 AM   #77
nt25940
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i M-Sport

Garage List
2013 BMW 535i  [0.00]
For all those week 36 builds. I've attached a list of the voyages from Bremerhaven Germany to US Ports. If the completion dates of our vehicles our Sept. 6th, then I'm assuming that our vehicles will be loaded on the Titus departing Sept 14th and arriving in New York on the 25th or 26th.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Schedule_for_route_NAEUI (18).pdf (111.2 KB, 86 views)
Appreciate 2
ToddRGuy1396.00
SkykingUSA2553.50
      08-09-2024, 12:22 PM   #78
ToddRGuy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nt25940 View Post
For all those week 36 builds. I've attached a list of the voyages from Bremerhaven Germany to US Ports. If the completion dates of our vehicles our Sept. 6th, then I'm assuming that our vehicles will be loaded on the Titus departing Sept 14th and arriving in New York on the 25th or 26th.
Thank you so much for taking the time to do this! 😊
Appreciate 1
SkykingUSA2553.50
      08-09-2024, 12:51 PM   #79
ToddRGuy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
How do you determine which port your vehicle will be coming into? I mean, being in Ohio, I could say either New York (New Jersey) or Baltimore would work. One is about 5.5’ish hours away and the other 6’ish
Appreciate 1
SkykingUSA2553.50
      08-09-2024, 01:34 PM   #80
nt25940
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i M-Sport

Garage List
2013 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Check the attached schedule. All ports are listed. I'm assuming the port for me is NY/NJ. Last BMW I ordered it was NY/NJ.
Appreciate 2
ToddRGuy1396.00
SkykingUSA2553.50
      08-09-2024, 01:45 PM   #81
LVBMW
Major
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60 '23 Tesla Model Y-P

Garage List
Quote:
How do you determine which port your vehicle will be coming into? I mean, being in Ohio, I could say either New York (New Jersey) or Baltimore would work. One is about 5.5’ish hours away and the other 6’ish
Check the build sheet your dealer provided you. The port of entry is noted at the top. For example, BALPOA is Baltimore.
Appreciate 2
ToddRGuy1396.00
SkykingUSA2553.50
      08-09-2024, 01:49 PM   #82
ToddRGuy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVBMW View Post
Check the build sheet your dealer provided you. The port of entry is noted at the top. For example, BALPOA is Baltimore.
Thank you! I never noticed that in the document before. It does indeed say BALPOA.
Appreciate 2
SkykingUSA2553.50
LVBMW2350.50
      08-09-2024, 09:50 PM   #83
ToddRGuy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Okay, random question, someone might know the answer to. I'm considering my first personalized plate. I know the dealer provides you with a temporary tag. Are they able to process the personalized plate request at the dealership at the time the temp tag is provided or is that something you typically have to do after the fact?

Fortunately, Ohio has a DMV personalized plate website, where you can check to see if your desired one is available. The only thing left is to chose from a myriad of 'causes'.

I'd share what I'm considering but I'm afraid someone might take it. lol.
Appreciate 1
SkykingUSA2553.50
      08-10-2024, 03:19 AM   #84
SkykingUSA
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 i5 eDrive40

Garage List
I don't think the dealership can do it for you, but you should ask them to find out for sure. I think they can't do it because it would take too long for your personalized plate to arrive.

In my case (in California), I drove off the lot with a paper temporary plate, and my permanent standard plate arrived in the mail in about a week. A couple of days after getting my permanent plate is when I went to the DMV web site to order my personalized plate, and the web site indicated it would take about 9 months to get my personalized plate. Despite that bad news, I ordered it on April 2. However, my personalized plate actually arrived in mid-July so it took about 3.5 months in my case (needless to say I was pleasantly surprised when I received it). By the way, I had to wait for my permanent plate before I could order the personalized one because the DMV web site would not recognize my registration until I got my permanent plate.

I suspect the temporary paper plates you get when you drive off the dealership lot would expire before you got your personalized ones.

Again, it never hurts to ask the dealership though. Good luck and let us know!

Update: I found a picture of my original paper temporary plate and it would have expired in less than 3 months from when I took delivery of the car. So in my case, it would have expired before I received my personalized plate.
2024 i5 eDrive40 / Vegas Red / Black Veganza / Dark Oak Gloss Trim with Dark Silv Acc / Premium Package / M Sport Package / M Sport Pro Package / Driving Assistance Pro Package / Luxury Seating Package / 19" 936 M Aero Wheels NonRFT

Last edited by SkykingUSA; 08-10-2024 at 03:28 AM.. Reason: Added expiry date for my initial paper plate.
Appreciate 3
ToddRGuy1396.00
Scrapula4147.50
      08-10-2024, 05:38 PM   #85
ToddRGuy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkykingUSA View Post
I don't think the dealership can do it for you, but you should ask them to find out for sure. I think they can't do it because it would take too long for your personalized plate to arrive.

In my case (in California), I drove off the lot with a paper temporary plate, and my permanent standard plate arrived in the mail in about a week. A couple of days after getting my permanent plate is when I went to the DMV web site to order my personalized plate, and the web site indicated it would take about 9 months to get my personalized plate. Despite that bad news, I ordered it on April 2. However, my personalized plate actually arrived in mid-July so it took about 3.5 months in my case (needless to say I was pleasantly surprised when I received it). By the way, I had to wait for my permanent plate before I could order the personalized one because the DMV web site would not recognize my registration until I got my permanent plate.

I suspect the temporary paper plates you get when you drive off the dealership lot would expire before you got your personalized ones.

Again, it never hurts to ask the dealership though. Good luck and let us know!

Update: I found a picture of my original paper temporary plate and it would have expired in less than 3 months from when I took delivery of the car. So in my case, it would have expired before I received my personalized plate.
Thanks for the information! I’ll let you know. I’m hoping Ohio might be a bit faster. I was definitely in shock from the flat fee registration cost when I moved back. $539 vs $44, California to Ohio. 😳
Appreciate 2
SkykingUSA2553.50
      08-21-2024, 11:27 PM   #86
ToddRGuy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Well, still at "Scheduled for Production" Status Code: 112

They've got 10-11 days to get it together.

I don't think they wanna build it.
Appreciate 2
SkykingUSA2553.50
LVBMW2350.50
      08-22-2024, 02:58 AM   #87
AiredaleDad
Lieutenant
Spain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Well, still at "Scheduled for Production" Status Code: 112

They've got 10-11 days to get it together.

I don't think they wanna build it.
I'm sure it will get there. Couild be a color thing like we discussed before. The fact it is at 112 means they have already approved your build. They may be looking more into ordering some special parts or something like that if you should need them. It is fun seeing you fret though. I think it's worse because you have seen a couple of us go to 150 already. That actually makes it more frustrating for us when some others went from 111-112-150-151-and so on in a matter of a week or so. And we have been there for a couple of weeks already Hell, my car has already been paid for and I am still sitting at 150. I filed the tax exempt paperwork for Spain on Tuesday. I am sure yours is one that will just jump through the codes one after the other. But if I do get mine first I'm still gonna give you crap about it.
Appreciate 2
ToddRGuy1396.00
SkykingUSA2553.50
      08-22-2024, 08:32 AM   #88
ToddRGuy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'm sure it will get there. Couild be a color thing like we discussed before. The fact it is at 112 means they have already approved your build. They may be looking more into ordering some special parts or something like that if you should need them. It is fun seeing you fret though. I think it's worse because you have seen a couple of us go to 150 already. That actually makes it more frustrating for us when some others went from 111-112-150-151-and so on in a matter of a week or so. And we have been there for a couple of weeks already Hell, my car has already been paid for and I am still sitting at 150. I filed the tax exempt paperwork for Spain on Tuesday. I am sure yours is one that will just jump through the codes one after the other. But if I do get mine first I'm still gonna give you crap about it.
lol. I’m glad my angst is entertaining you. I did note afterwards on the picture that SkyKing shared of his build experience that his changed from Scheduled to In Production, over a period of 72 hours. So, it really does seem like there’s no rhyme or reason (at least from this side of the looking glass) to the process. So, mine is going to have to make that journey in an even more compressed time frame to meet week 36 production schedule. Oh trust me, If you get that 540 before me, I know imma hear about it. lol.
Appreciate 2
LVBMW2350.50
SkykingUSA2553.50