BMW i5 and 5-Series Forum

09-17-2024, 03:23 PM   #45
kaotiko
Rep
Drives: X1 23d '23 / 550e '25 (soon)

I'm an example of a fresh buyer with no point of reference of G60 vs G30. I haven't had a 5er since 2003. When G60 came out, I read the first negative reviews and was _theoretically_ leaning to G30. When I came to the dealer, my own impression of G60 was so much better than I expected, so G30 was an instant no. Compared to G60 it seemed dated, cramped, whatever. And G60 drives like a dream.
Appreciate 6
F10_Freq175.50
ToddRGuy1469.50
SkykingUSA2595.50
Scrapula4165.50
      09-17-2024, 06:02 PM   #46
Bklyn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Ram 1500

Quote:
Originally Posted by F10_Freq View Post
Worst car ever? Come on. I love my i5. It drives and feels great. No one has gone into my i5 and was not blown away. It’s leagues above most cars out there any day of the week.
The car doesn’t feel entry level BMW at all…I have zero rattles and everything feels put together well (with a few minor exceptions of course). Besides, don’t they have to use more plastics and skimp in places to keep the weight down?

The stock HK sound in the G60 is definitely a massive upgrade to the stock sound on the G30. The stock sound system in the G30 was atrocious. That’s what you have to compare. You have a B&W system upgrade available if you want.

I also find the sport seats very comfortable and the veganza is a much more comfortable material than past plethers. Sure it doesn’t have all the motorized adjustments my other 5-series seats have had, but there are adjustable side bolsters and I love that.

Also cool is the tech and the beautiful OLED screen rocks. iDrive is easy to use too. Has a ton of great features and integration with CarPlay is really well done. Of course there are bugs and some quirks, but what doesn’t. Highway Assist is way more useful than on the G30 as well.

Overall a fantastic new start for the platform. Can’t wait to see what’s in the LCI.
Agree mostly, If it only worked and functioned as good as it looks.
Appreciate 2
SkykingUSA2595.50
      09-17-2024, 07:04 PM   #47
ToddRGuy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A5, 2025 BMW 540 -Ordered

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaotiko View Post
I'm an example of a fresh buyer with no point of reference of G60 vs G30. I haven't had a 5er since 2003. When G60 came out, I read the first negative reviews and was _theoretically_ leaning to G30. When I came to the dealer, my own impression of G60 was so much better than I expected, so G30 was an instant no. Compared to G60 it seemed dated, cramped, whatever. And G60 drives like a dream.
I'm right there, in the same boat with you. In fact, I've never owned a BMW before. I started looking last year and saw the G30 and G60 right as the transition to the new generation started. It was the technology (minus the IBS recall, lol) that drew me to the G60 initially, along with some conversations with friends, who'd owned BMWs and either still did, or looked back upon them fondly.

My Audi A5 got me over the irrational fear of "Never buy a German Car" so I pressed ahead. Audi was not a consideration anymore, because they've been incredibly lazy about putting out new models, and updating their technology. And Mercedes, well...perhaps when I'm older, but not now.

When I drove the G60, it just confirmed my months of research and forum stalking, but I can tell you, if the G30 was still on the market in its current form, I'd probably still be waiting.
Appreciate 2
SkykingUSA2595.50
Scrapula4165.50
      Yesterday, 03:46 AM   #48
AiredaleDad
Lieutenant
Spain
Rep
Drives: 2010 Mercedes CLC 200 CDI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddRGuy View Post
I'm right there, in the same boat with you. In fact, I've never owned a BMW before. I started looking last year and saw the G30 and G60 right as the transition to the new generation started. It was the technology (minus the IBS recall, lol) that drew me to the G60 initially, along with some conversations with friends, who'd owned BMWs and either still did, or looked back upon them fondly.

My Audi A5 got me over the irrational fear of "Never buy a German Car" so I pressed ahead. Audi was not a consideration anymore, because they've been incredibly lazy about putting out new models, and updating their technology. And Mercedes, well...perhaps when I'm older, but not now.

When I drove the G60, it just confirmed my months of research and forum stalking, but I can tell you, if the G30 was still on the market in its current form, I'd probably still be waiting.
I personally have not owned a BMW since 1998 when I traded in my 1993 325i (Paid $19K for it new, In Spain, Tax Free) for a (Don't Judge) Ford Explorer. I probably would have kept it, but I was a young Sailor with a wife and 2 kids, moving to the UK with my family from Florida. I had recently found out my wife had bent the frame on my (our) 325i by accidentally putting it in 1st gear instead of Reverse and running over a concrete parking lot stop while I was at sea. As a result, the car would no longer take alignment, and I needed something reliable to take with me to England on short notice. The Exploder was the affordable option for me at the time, and big enough for the whole family. After that, we moved to Seattle in 2002 and My wife needed a car. So we got a Jetta, and have had one German car after another since then. I have owned either a VW or Mercedes. (I had become gun shy about BMW because of reliability issues with that 325. 2 Engine seal issues, 1 alternator, and 3 Driver's Window regulator replacements. All just after warranty expired) However I always compared driving every other car I owned to that 325. None ever drove and handled quite as well. None ever gave me THAT feeling while driving it that I wanted to get on the autobahn and test it (I did too. I drove that BMW from southern Spain to Antwerp, Belgium to ship it to the US in 2005.)

So now that I see that the reliability of the B58 has it considered the best I6 on the market, and BMW has increased their reliability enough that they are willing to sell you a warranty that will go on until the car is 7 years old or 125,000 Mi in the US. I felt it was time again. That, and the fact I am in a vastly improved financial status. I can afford not only the car, but to maintain that car properly without being shocked at the cost of an oil change, and dreading the next one. ($125 in 1995 was a LOT for an oil change back then, and they happened much more frequently).

Since I had to sell my VW CC Luxe when we moved to Spain this time, My plan was going to be purchasing a new Audi S4 or S5 upon return to the states. (I was used to VW after all, and Audi was logical step up). After I extended my tour I had decided they were too small and too low as a daily driver for my tastes now, and moved that plan up to an S6 or A6 55 Prestige. But I had also looked at a G30, at the dealer when passing by and decided to take a second look. When the G60 came out, I started reading reviews, and decided I would give it a shot. I spoke to my wife, and reasoned out my logic to her. I would put Half the cost down, Finance the other half, and pay it off in 2 after selling the Mercedes. That way, when my tour ends, It will be paid off, we can then sell the Range Rover here, The Navy can Ship the BMW, and we fly back to the states and walk into a dealership and buy her a new or CPO (Her Choice) BMW X5, or Land Rover Defender/Range Rover Sport outright. Both of us get new cars and all is well.

So she said "How can you buy a car here, without a test drive?" Made sense. So the next time we went to the states to visit our grand daughter I made appointments, and went to an Audi, and a BMW Dealer in Concord, CA. I test drove an A6 55 Prestige, an A5 Prestige, and a BMW 530iX and 540iX. I was leaning heavily towards the A6 after the 530iX until I drove the 540iX. It didn't even have the MSport package, but I was hooked.
Appreciate 2
ToddRGuy1469.50
Scrapula4165.50
      Yesterday, 07:30 AM   #49
PsychDoc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 540ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiredaleDad View Post
I personally have not owned a BMW since 1998 when I traded in my 1993 325i (Paid $19K for it new, In Spain, Tax Free) for a (Don't Judge) Ford Explorer. I probably would have kept it, but I was a young Sailor with a wife and 2 kids, moving to the UK with my family from Florida. I had recently found out my wife had bent the frame on my (our) 325i by accidentally putting it in 1st gear instead of Reverse and running over a concrete parking lot stop while I was at sea. As a result, the car would no longer take alignment, and I needed something reliable to take with me to England on short notice. The Exploder was the affordable option for me at the time, and big enough for the whole family. After that, we moved to Seattle in 2002 and My wife needed a car. So we got a Jetta, and have had one German car after another since then. I have owned either a VW or Mercedes. (I had become gun shy about BMW because of reliability issues with that 325. 2 Engine seal issues, 1 alternator, and 3 Driver's Window regulator replacements. All just after warranty expired) However I always compared driving every other car I owned to that 325. None ever drove and handled quite as well. None ever gave me THAT feeling while driving it that I wanted to get on the autobahn and test it (I did too. I drove that BMW from southern Spain to Antwerp, Belgium to ship it to the US in 2005.)

So now that I see that the reliability of the B58 has it considered the best I6 on the market, and BMW has increased their reliability enough that they are willing to sell you a warranty that will go on until the car is 7 years old or 125,000 Mi in the US. I felt it was time again. That, and the fact I am in a vastly improved financial status. I can afford not only the car, but to maintain that car properly without being shocked at the cost of an oil change, and dreading the next one. ($125 in 1995 was a LOT for an oil change back then, and they happened much more frequently).

Since I had to sell my VW CC Luxe when we moved to Spain this time, My plan was going to be purchasing a new Audi S4 or S5 upon return to the states. (I was used to VW after all, and Audi was logical step up). After I extended my tour I had decided they were too small and too low as a daily driver for my tastes now, and moved that plan up to an S6 or A6 55 Prestige. But I had also looked at a G30, at the dealer when passing by and decided to take a second look. When the G60 came out, I started reading reviews, and decided I would give it a shot. I spoke to my wife, and reasoned out my logic to her. I would put Half the cost down, Finance the other half, and pay it off in 2 after selling the Mercedes. That way, when my tour ends, It will be paid off, we can then sell the Range Rover here, The Navy can Ship the BMW, and we fly back to the states and walk into a dealership and buy her a new or CPO (Her Choice) BMW X5, or Land Rover Defender/Range Rover Sport outright. Both of us get new cars and all is well.

So she said "How can you buy a car here, without a test drive?" Made sense. So the next time we went to the states to visit our grand daughter I made appointments, and went to an Audi, and a BMW Dealer in Concord, CA. I test drove an A6 55 Prestige, an A5 Prestige, and a BMW 530iX and 540iX. I was leaning heavily towards the A6 after the 530iX until I drove the 540iX. It didn't even have the MSport package, but I was hooked.
Indeed! That B58 is literally addicting. Powerful as all hell (probably ~400 hp I'd bet), quiet, refined, no turbo lag and reliable as all getup. Hard not to fall in love. LOL
Appreciate 3
ToddRGuy1469.50
SkykingUSA2595.50
      Yesterday, 08:12 AM   #50
AiredaleDad
Lieutenant
Spain
Rep
Drives: 2010 Mercedes CLC 200 CDI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychDoc View Post
Indeed! That B58 is literally addicting. Powerful as all hell (probably ~400 hp I'd bet), quiet, refined, no turbo lag and reliable as all getup. Hard not to fall in love. LOL
I wonder if anyone with a new 540 has had it dynoed to see what it really is putting out?
Appreciate 1
SkykingUSA2595.50