BMW i5 and 5-Series Forum

09-06-2024, 12:58 PM   #45
phteven
Rep
Drives: S54 E36 M3, E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan B View Post
You pay $9K a year in insurance. I have to assume your car payment is over $1K.

If you can even get insurance assume it will double.

Besides the obvious body work, you will need to check suspension on that corner. that can add some cost.

I would be interested in seeing pictures of what is going on behind the fender. Anything tweaked around the door hinges?
Don't forget that if anything in the front suspension is damaged, BMW requires the steering rack to be replaced.

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 483
Size:  49.0 KB
Appreciate 2
Dan B456.00
xander_g1054.00
      09-08-2024, 05:30 PM   #46
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Quote:
Originally Posted by prestonharp View Post
... I talked to an employee of the shop and had him asses the damage ....
Smart move to have him crack off an estimate for you. Hopefully the insurance company will turn the other cheek. These kinds of repairs can be a real deep hole, though. Tough to wipe this one clean. Butt plugs.
osteome231.50
      09-10-2024, 10:54 AM   #47
prestonharp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 20118 TTRS

Good news,

Car is currently being repaired and should be fine soon. New 6 month insurance just hit, $200 cheaper a month. At least until my crash hits….
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2024, 01:45 PM   #48
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

I'd sell the car and drive something more realistic, your premium is far too high and makes no sense to continue paying so much.
      09-10-2024, 01:46 PM   #49
prestonharp
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
I'd sell the car and drive something more realistic, your premium is far too high and makes no sense to continue paying so much.
Appreciate the input, definitely gonna try to keep it
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2024, 01:49 PM   #50
FrankMstein
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, R56 Camden, F56

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Also, one point you will want to consider. You shouldn't have posted this. Insurance companies are not stupid, and it's very possible they will be able to find this thread if they look hard enough.
Especially since his username looks like his actual name. I don't shame anyone but the OP is a mo in many ways.
Jaizero41.00
      09-11-2024, 06:43 AM   #51
DubaiRich
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4; 2008 118D

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4  [8.17]
I think all the truth chat provided has made him sit back and ponder his actions.

$750/mo. for insurance is just insane, but if he can afford the M4...
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2024, 06:45 AM   #52
prestonharp
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMstein View Post
Especially since his username looks like his actual name. I don't shame anyone but the OP is a mo in many ways.
Especially since the car is being fixed as we speak!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2024, 10:19 AM   #53
CMW33
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp

Honestly, I would sell the car once it's fixed, get something a lot cheaper, take that $750/month insurance payment (which will only go up) and whatever the car payment is and put that toward retirement and let that grow and grow. There's a world of cars out there that are much, much cheaper but still fun to drive/mod.

Life is short but not so short that you should make terrible financial decisions. Honestly, life seems really effing long when you have money troubles.
Appreciate 3
tcphoto3967.00
eugenebmw1954.00
David701672.00
      09-11-2024, 10:32 AM   #54
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

He’s more concerned about his “status” with “then” and will pay a premium for it. It’s a shame because being so young, he should be driving a more sensible car and saving money for more important things like a home, education or some unplanned event. Funny how some people think bad things will never happen to them until they do.
      09-11-2024, 10:46 AM   #55
reallymarkedup
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2025 M2 status 165

Quote:
He’s more concerned about his “status” with “then” and will pay a premium for it. It’s a shame because being so young, he should be driving a more sensible car and saving money for more important things like a home, education or some unplanned event. Funny how some people think bad things will never happen to them until they do.
He should at least be taking a driving course. He's obviously got the money and the status seeking part down, now he just needs to learn how to go around a corner without wrecking a car.
Appreciate 1
tcphoto3967.00
      09-11-2024, 03:33 PM   #56
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Especially since the car is being fixed as we speak!
What is the total repair cost?

Also, do you get any finacial support from parents?

How much is your monthy car payment?

Do you have any other bills besides the car and insurance?

Could you post a better pic thats not a close up of your car, and also the other vehicle involved?

Thank you.
Appreciate 1
tcphoto3967.00
      09-11-2024, 05:52 PM   #57
prestonharp
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
What is the total repair cost?

Also, do you get any finacial support from parents?

How much is your monthy car payment?

Do you have any other bills besides the car and insurance?

Could you post a better pic thats not a close up of your car, and also the other vehicle involved?

Thank you.

The total repair cost is under 20k at the moment.

^(Edit)- sorry wasn’t home and didn’t have access to the estimate. Currently it’s sitting at $6800, and pretty low. Might’ve honestly been better off getting it fixed privately, but it’s fine.

Also, no I have zero financial assistance, I have rent, other vehicles and plenty of other financial burdens at the moment. I was luckily blessed with parents that pushed me to work hard… No more pictures at the moment because the car is at the body shop and I only had that one picture

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2024, 05:55 PM   #58
prestonharp
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Half of this post is complete theory. I happily hold two different degrees and DO HAVE A HOME. I could quite literally care less about status, I just love my G82. I also drive a beat up 04’ 4Runner, just sucks when I don’t feel like I have status when I drive it
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2024, 09:24 PM   #59
Kaizer84
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Grancoupe

Quote:
Half of this post is complete theory. I happily hold two different degrees and DO HAVE A HOME. I could quite literally care less about status, I just love my G82. I also drive a beat up 04’ 4Runner, just sucks when I don’t feel like I have status when I drive it
You made a mistake, had an accident, learn from it. You are still young, seem to be doing very well financially, don’t take what most are saying to heart. Just be safe while enjoying your M4 and maybe next time don’t come on the internet looking for advice, seek counsel from older folks in your life, and be a little more private.

No one here knows you or your situation so most of the “advice” is pretty useless. They’ll try to attack you while dressing it up as advice. One thing you’ll learn as you get older, most ppl say one thing and do another. Keep your head up.
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2024, 10:25 PM   #60
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Some of the advice here is realistic. There is a few here that are the popo and they see things like this all the time, daily. Young drivers, driving far too fast and get into accidents because they believe they are better drivers than they actually are. Believing a car with AWD will save them from losing control. 23 is very young to drive a car such as this. Yes, you have the funds for it and apparently paying it off just fine. That is good and all but the problem is, you aren't skilled enough as a driver to handle a car such as this.

One of the huge mistakes people tend to make in the earlier years driving is believing AWD will save you. It won't.

The other mistake you made is posting this on Bimmerpost. If you hit someone, they or insurance finds this thread? You're screwed. Since you said you are from a small town and they seem to be on the up and up, then you could be fine (aka they don't find out) That one photo you posted only show exterior damage. If nothing else is showing or is hidden on the computers (techs should plug in and read it), then just fix it. Doing it privately will get you into trouble. If there is another car involved, they sure as hell don't have to do it privately. Why would they want to if YOU hit them? Be honest with yourself. You made a mistake, step up and make it right. Especially when you are posting this on freaken Bimmerpost.

Whether or not you should move on from this car is a matter of opinion. I spent 13 years driving a 04 Jetta before moving on to better cars. Another 3 years after that with a 2012 328i before getting a M4, then my M3 before going into Porsche. You learn, developing your driving skills first before trying to handle proper sports cars. Buy a ND3 Miata, learn to drive then go into a higher HP car like the M.

This also highlights another problem I have with most German car companies now a days. They chase numbers, put out cars with far too much damn HP in the hands of people who don't know how to properly handle it. Driving a car very fast in a straight line doesn't mean you are a good driver. It just means you can drive fast in a straight line.

Learn from this. Paying $750 per month for insurance means your insurance don't trust you. And as much as I dislike insurance companies, they are right when it comes to young drivers.
eugenebmw1954.00
tcphoto3967.00
      09-12-2024, 05:20 AM   #61
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Lots of advice for the 23YO, should do this and that but if he likes an M3 and has the financial clout to run it then GL to him..just a driving course or two on a track would come in handy for him and make him a better driver.
Appreciate 3
      09-12-2024, 07:31 AM   #62
David70
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 20 AM Vantage -13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
I'm confused as to what this means.

Best I can tell you care a lot about the "status" part of it, I have no problem with this just think you believe people care a lot more than they actually do. 2 people drive by me, 1 in an old 4 Runner, 1 a new BMW, I don't think anything about either of the drivers.

This place shows over and over that you can't tell anything about someone's financial situation by the car they drive.
      09-12-2024, 07:38 AM   #63
BlackM750i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 750i M Sport

Quote:
So which one - you do care or you don't care? Both statements contradict one another.

Also, you "have a home" (own) or pay rent? Just to clarify...

You can have 10 degrees, that doesn't make a difference. In 2024, you can have no degree and be millionaire and still be highly intelligent. There are many paths to financial freedom and success.

Everyone has their opinion but at the end of the day, hopefully you nor the other party was injured and you learned from this mistake. Your life and the life of another is not something that can be replaced.
Appreciate 1
eugenebmw1954.00
      09-12-2024, 07:44 AM   #64
prestonharp
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackM750i View Post
So which one - you do care or you don't care? Both statements contradict one another.

Also, you "have a home" (own) or pay rent? Just to clarify...

You can have 10 degrees, that doesn't make a difference. In 2024, you can have no degree and be millionaire and still be highly intelligent. There are many paths to financial freedom and success.

Everyone has their opinion but at the end of the day, hopefully you nor the other party was injured and you learned from this mistake. Your life and the life of another is not something that can be replaced.
My reply was satire. I was simply making a jab at the guy for making assumptions.

Completely thread de-rail, but yes I do RENT because with the current housing market where I am, it’s smarter at the moment. There was 0 injuries ✅

Will no longer be replying to this thread, issue has been solved-ish.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2024, 08:14 AM   #65
David70
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 20 AM Vantage -13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
My reply was satire. I was simply making a jab at the guy for making assumptions.

Completely thread de-rail, but yes I do RENT because with the current housing market where I am, it’s smarter at the moment. There was 0 injuries ✅

Will no longer be replying to this thread, issue has been solved-ish.
Nothing wrong with renting while you spend money on unneeded luxuries if you have the finances to pick whichever you prefer, just another luxury.

I am assuming with the long list of expensive cars, motorcycles, high income, multiple degrees, "status", massively high insurance, nothing about the car repair matters from a financial standpoint & whatever happens is just a report on how to get the car fixed.

One thing that does seem odd is the concern on the insurance rate going up.

Last edited by David70; 09-12-2024 at 08:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2024, 11:32 AM   #66
eugenebmw
Captain
Rep
Drives: G15 M850i G82 M4, G22 M440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
Some of the advice here is realistic. There is a few here that are the popo and they see things like this all the time, daily. Young drivers, driving far too fast and get into accidents because they believe they are better drivers than they actually are. Believing a car with AWD will save them from losing control. 23 is very young to drive a car such as this. Yes, you have the funds for it and apparently paying it off just fine. That is good and all but the problem is, you aren't skilled enough as a driver to handle a car such as this.

One of the huge mistakes people tend to make in the earlier years driving is believing AWD will save you. It won't.

The other mistake you made is posting this on Bimmerpost. If you hit someone, they or insurance finds this thread? You're screwed. Since you said you are from a small town and they seem to be on the up and up, then you could be fine (aka they don't find out) That one photo you posted only show exterior damage. If nothing else is showing or is hidden on the computers (techs should plug in and read it), then just fix it. Doing it privately will get you into trouble. If there is another car involved, they sure as hell don't have to do it privately. Why would they want to if YOU hit them? Be honest with yourself. You made a mistake, step up and make it right. Especially when you are posting this on freaken Bimmerpost.

Whether or not you should move on from this car is a matter of opinion. I spent 13 years driving a 04 Jetta before moving on to better cars. Another 3 years after that with a 2012 328i before getting a M4, then my M3 before going into Porsche. You learn, developing your driving skills first before trying to handle proper sports cars. Buy a ND3 Miata, learn to drive then go into a higher HP car like the M.

This also highlights another problem I have with most German car companies now a days. They chase numbers, put out cars with far too much damn HP in the hands of people who don't know how to properly handle it. Driving a car very fast in a straight line doesn't mean you are a good driver. It just means you can drive fast in a straight line.

Learn from this. Paying $750 per month for insurance means your insurance don't trust you. And as much as I dislike insurance companies, they are right when it comes to young drivers.
Appreciate 0