BMW i5 and 5-Series Forum

09-07-2024, 12:30 AM   #23
lilstevie
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW i5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkykingUSA View Post
I would have thought that a single motor car would get better efficiency than a dual motor car - especially since the rear motors are the same power level between the two cars (I think they are both 250 kW motors in the rear).
I’m not entirely surprised. While the go pedal will drain more power, front mounted motors are quite a bit better at energy recovery. If you’re not driving too hard, the extra recuperation from the front motor will offset the extra used to get moving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkykingUSA View Post
It's interesting about the strength of the regen braking in B mode. I almost always drive in B mode now that I've gotten used to it and thought that my eDrive40 was pretty strong in that regard - I guess I'd have to re-learn the B mode sensitivity in an M60 if I started driving one. :-)
Prior to my edrive40 I had a front wheel drive polestar 2, part of it will be the difference between the externally excited synchronous motor vs it’s permanent magnet motor, but the regeneration force is much more extreme.

Last edited by lilstevie; 09-07-2024 at 12:38 AM.. Reason: Hit send early
Appreciate 1
SkykingUSA2553.50
      09-07-2024, 08:29 AM   #24
RichardInCA
Captain
Rep
Drives: 24 BMW i5 M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilstevie View Post
I’m not entirely surprised. While the go pedal will drain more power, front mounted motors are quite a bit better at energy recovery. If you’re not driving too hard, the extra recuperation from the front motor will offset the extra used to get moving.

Prior to my edrive40 I had a front wheel drive polestar 2, part of it will be the difference between the externally excited synchronous motor vs it’s permanent magnet motor, but the regeneration force is much more extreme.
I thought about this, but the amount of recuperated energy was not terribly different. The way I rationalized my finding was that either I’m using approximately similar amounts of energy on the commute, but it’s split between two motors rather than one, each motor needing less power. The other potential option is that x drive is effectively distributing the power predominantly to the rear, so when I’m not pushing the acceleration of the vehicle, it’s more of a RWD bias enyway.

Last edited by RichardInCA; 09-08-2024 at 08:43 AM..
Appreciate 1
SkykingUSA2553.50