BMW i5 and 5-Series Forum

08-10-2024, 09:37 AM   #23
AiredaleDad
Lieutenant
Spain
Rep
Drives: 2010 Mercedes CLC 200 CDI

Garage List
Here's some pics now that I have them from the app.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
Scrapula4147.50
SkykingUSA2553.50
LVBMW2350.50
kaotiko58.50
      08-10-2024, 05:51 PM   #24
SkykingUSA
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 i5 eDrive40

Garage List
Looks great. Oxide grey looks nice with the M Sport trim.
2024 i5 eDrive40 / Vegas Red / Black Veganza / Dark Oak Gloss Trim with Dark Silv Acc / Premium Package / M Sport Package / M Sport Pro Package / Driving Assistance Pro Package / Luxury Seating Package / 19" 936 M Aero Wheels NonRFT

Appreciate 2
Scrapula4147.50
      08-10-2024, 08:53 PM   #25
RichardInCA
Captain
Rep
Drives: 24 BMW i5 M60

Garage List
Love it - I do like the lines of the G60, even though I’m biased, I think it has a good side profile
Appreciate 3
SkykingUSA2553.50
ToddRGuy1396.00
      08-11-2024, 12:29 AM   #26
ToddRGuy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A5, 2025 BMW 540 -Ordered

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardInCA View Post
Love it - I do like the lines of the G60, even though I’m biased, I think it has a good side profile
I think it looks good! The only minor thing I'd change is how they decided to wrap the black rear splitter around to become part of the bumper. I really wish they would have chosen a different beginning/end point for that which left more of side profile rear bumper body colored. I think from an artistic perspective, why they did it was to have some continuation of the lower black line of the rocker panel, and to have it extend back behind the rear wheel. Perhaps if it wasn't so 'thick' and angular, I'd feel less polarized. It actually weighed into my decision to get a darker color.
Appreciate 2
SkykingUSA2553.50
      08-11-2024, 08:23 AM   #27
PeterC4
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M550

I think Oxide Grey is one of the colours that co-ordinates the black trim and M-Sport trim very well. Nice colour.
SkykingUSA2553.50
      08-11-2024, 08:43 AM   #28
RichardInCA
Captain
Rep
Drives: 24 BMW i5 M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddRGuy View Post
I think it looks good! The only minor thing I'd change is how they decided to wrap the black rear splitter around to become part of the bumper. I really wish they would have chosen a different beginning/end point for that which left more of side profile rear bumper body colored. I think from an artistic perspective, why they did it was to have some continuation of the lower black line of the rocker panel, and to have it extend back behind the rear wheel. Perhaps if it wasn't so 'thick' and angular, I'd feel less polarized. It actually weighed into my decision to get a darker color.
I’ve been wondering if they’re trying to hide some of the bulk to be honest, the black trim beneath the doors and the rear bumper kinda leaves a skinnier profile if you focus your eyes on the body colored pieces. There’s also been a lot of commentary about the length of the hood, I’ve also been wondering if the longer hood design tends to counteract the height of the car and create a more proportioned design.
Appreciate 3
ToddRGuy1396.00
SkykingUSA2553.50
      08-11-2024, 01:11 PM   #29
patch5674
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F40 118i

Looks great!

I think I said in a best colour thread that I love Oxide on it, but imo it has to be MSport pro with the black grill.

I think it looks a bit washed out with the silver grill which made me choose a different colour, but I love Oxide.

There is an Oxide iX M60 near me and it looks awesome. (I think it was the iX M60 launch color?)
Appreciate 3
ToddRGuy1396.00
SkykingUSA2553.50
      08-11-2024, 11:07 PM   #30
AiredaleDad
Lieutenant
Spain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by patch5674 View Post
Looks great!

I think I said in a best colour thread that I love Oxide on it, but imo it has to be MSport pro with the black grill.

I think it looks a bit washed out with the silver grill which made me choose a different colour, but I love Oxide.

There is an Oxide iX M60 near me and it looks awesome. (I think it was the iX M60 launch color?)
Yeah, I saw a 530iX in Concord, CA this color, but with the silver grille. It did look kinda washed out. I did not like the combination. I think the black accents/Grille makes the color really pop. If I had not gone MSport Pro, I likely would have gone for a darker color. Maybe the Blue or dark Grey.

I just can't wait for it to get here so I can post ACTUAL photos. And drive it, of course. Lol
Appreciate 2
SkykingUSA2553.50
ToddRGuy1396.00
      08-15-2024, 09:26 PM   #31
ToddRGuy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AiredaleDad View Post
Yeah, I saw a 530iX in Concord, CA this color, but with the silver grille. It did look kinda washed out. I did not like the combination. I think the black accents/Grille makes the color really pop. If I had not gone MSport Pro, I likely would have gone for a darker color. Maybe the Blue or dark Grey.

I just can't wait for it to get here so I can post ACTUAL photos. And drive it, of course. Lol
The town you're living in in Spain seems to be quite picturesque! I'm sure you're going to be able to find some beautiful spots to take pictures of your new ride
Appreciate 2
SkykingUSA2553.50
LVBMW2350.50
      08-16-2024, 12:23 AM   #32
AiredaleDad
Lieutenant
Spain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The town you're living in in Spain seems to be quite picturesque! I'm sure you're going to be able to find some beautiful spots to take pictures of your new ride
It is very nice. Of course right now it's full of tourists so we don't go out much. But I am thinking of a few places that the setting would be perfect in the off season. There is this cobblestone street called Via Maritima with some really nice views of the Cadiz bay forts that's really cool.
Appreciate 3
SkykingUSA2553.50
ToddRGuy1396.00
LVBMW2350.50
      08-23-2024, 03:59 AM   #33
AiredaleDad
Lieutenant
Spain
Rep

Garage List
I got this today form my Broker. Still week 36 production. I did edit out the Name, Chassis number and VIN. Lol. My last name is not really XXXXXXXXXX.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      08-23-2024, 04:48 AM   #34
patch5674
Enlisted Member
Rep

Great news!

I am also still scheduled for WK 36 build for the touring. The Genius chat in the UK is also telling me it will be with the dealer WK 39 which seems insanely quick, I can only assume that will either slip, or that I am getting very lucky with the boat timing.

They have told me twice now that week commencing the 23rd it is scheduled to be 'with the retailer'. Considering when I ordered I was told end of October/Early November for delivery, anything sooner is an absolute bonus. I am fully prepared for the delivery to slide into October.

But given yours is only going to Spain, I am guessing you might get it super quickly too!

Starting to think about ordering the rubber boot liner and how best to keep it golden retriever proof
Appreciate 1
SkykingUSA2553.50
      08-23-2024, 05:40 AM   #35
AiredaleDad
Lieutenant
Spain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by patch5674 View Post
Great news!

I am also still scheduled for WK 36 build for the touring. The Genius chat in the UK is also telling me it will be with the dealer WK 39 which seems insanely quick, I can only assume that will either slip, or that I am getting very lucky with the boat timing.

They have told me twice now that week commencing the 23rd it is scheduled to be 'with the retailer'. Considering when I ordered I was told end of October/Early November for delivery, anything sooner is an absolute bonus. I am fully prepared for the delivery to slide into October.

But given yours is only going to Spain, I am guessing you might get it super quickly too!

Starting to think about ordering the rubber boot liner and how best to keep it golden retriever proof
Well, from what I have gathered, the longest part of the build process is the paint. I believe that takes about 3 days. I can't remember if it was 3 coats of color or 7. I think it depends on the color. Plus clear is at least 2 coats. Mine is oxide grey so I think that takes more coats than some of the darker colors. Then they have to inspect the paint and polish out any flaws. There is a pretty good video on that on u-tube, but it shows it on the X-1. The drivetrain is all assembled and waiting when the car is released to assembly, they pull the car body over the assembled drive train and marry them together. There is a good video of G60 assembly plant. Just google 2024 BMW G60 Assembly.

As to the boot liner, I had them order one for me at the dealer. There are two types. One covers the boot, and the other has a flap that you can pullout to hang over the rear bumper to protect the paint. That's the one I ordered. And I went on Amazon and ordered a rear seat protector(Not vehicle specific.) that has a solid floor and flaps that come up on the sides to protect the doors. It also has a screened portion in the middle for the AirCon vents to let air through. I have a 3 year old Airedale Terrier who loves car rides. He doesn't shed too bad, but we also have a rescued Terrier mix that sheds a lot. Yellow dog hair on a black interior does not look good. Mostly we take the dogs in My Wife's Range Rover.

I just hope I get mine before ToddRGuy. Lol.
Appreciate 1
ToddRGuy1396.00
      08-23-2024, 10:26 AM   #36
ToddRGuy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Well, from what I have gathered, the longest part of the build process is the paint. I believe that takes about 3 days. I can't remember if it was 3 coats of color or 7. I think it depends on the color. Plus clear is at least 2 coats. Mine is oxide grey so I think that takes more coats than some of the darker colors. Then they have to inspect the paint and polish out any flaws. There is a pretty good video on that on u-tube, but it shows it on the X-1. The drivetrain is all assembled and waiting when the car is released to assembly, they pull the car body over the assembled drive train and marry them together. There is a good video of G60 assembly plant. Just google 2024 BMW G60 Assembly.

As to the boot liner, I had them order one for me at the dealer. There are two types. One covers the boot, and the other has a flap that you can pullout to hang over the rear bumper to protect the paint. That's the one I ordered. And I went on Amazon and ordered a rear seat protector(Not vehicle specific.) that has a solid floor and flaps that come up on the sides to protect the doors. It also has a screened portion in the middle for the AirCon vents to let air through. I have a 3 year old Airedale Terrier who loves car rides. He doesn't shed too bad, but we also have a rescued Terrier mix that sheds a lot. Yellow dog hair on a black interior does not look good. Mostly we take the dogs in My Wife's Range Rover.

😂 lol. We shall see, we shall seeeeee!
Appreciate 2
SkykingUSA2553.50
LVBMW2350.50
      08-23-2024, 04:27 PM   #37
ToddRGuy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

You know, based on SkyKing’s timeline I don’t think they spend as much time in painting as that anymore. I watched the one (or similar) of the guys going over the car and removing defects through polishing, etc. It seemed to be an exhaustive process. Look how they’re doing it now with assisted AI technology.

Check this video out:

BMW AI Polishing
Appreciate 2
SkykingUSA2553.50
LVBMW2350.50
      09-04-2024, 07:00 AM   #38
AiredaleDad
Lieutenant
Spain
Rep

Garage List
Woo Hoo! Just got an update. My build has just moved up and is at code 154 (Assembly) So it is past the body shop, and paint shop and actually being put together. Wish they would send snapshots of the different stages.
Appreciate 5
nacs150.00
SkykingUSA2553.50
ToddRGuy1396.00
Scrapula4147.50
kaotiko58.50
      09-11-2024, 03:49 AM   #39
AiredaleDad
Lieutenant
Spain
Rep

Garage List
Update: My car is now at status 190: In transit to the port of exit. I don't know what that means if it's coming by truck. Unless it's not and it is coming by ship to port of Seville. Either way it is out of the factory and it's on the way to me. Yay! I get to beat Todd. Lol. He'll still probably get it first due to Spanish registration delays.
Appreciate 5
madagil24.00
nacs150.00
ToddRGuy1396.00
SkykingUSA2553.50
kaotiko58.50
      09-11-2024, 01:17 PM   #40
ToddRGuy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Update: My car is now at status 190: In transit to the port of exit. I don't know what that means if it's coming by truck. Unless it's not and it is coming by ship to port of Seville. Either way it is out of the factory and it's on the way to me. Yay! I get to beat Todd. Lol. He'll still probably get it first due to Spanish registration delays.
You are definitely ahead of the game! lol. If you get it first, I shall live vicariously through your experience.
Appreciate 2
SkykingUSA2553.50
      09-12-2024, 01:12 AM   #41
AiredaleDad
Lieutenant
Spain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You are definitely ahead of the game! lol. If you get it first, I shall live vicariously through your experience.
Yeah....Technically I have not yet received customs clearance for my tax-free status. At least they have not gotten back to me on it. They might have gotten approval through to the dealership, and then they sent it on to BMW AG, which is why it was allowed to leave the factory. However it all depends on how it's coming. I read that 3 of the factories send cars to Spain on a train to Madrid, then a truck from Madrid to Jerez de la Frontera (My Service center). Madrid is about a 4 hour drive from here. It will then sit at the dealer until I process registration through the base security office, and them by mail to the registration office in Cadiz. That can take between 2 weeks to over a month (Depending on backlog, Holidays and Fiesta etc...). Of course the 4th factory sends them to Spain by ship. I don't know which one is the 4th factory. My luck it will be Dingolfing.

My bet is that yours will make it past QC, and out to Bremerhaven by sometime tomorrow. You still might get it first while I am sitting waiting for the slow wheels of government to turn.
Appreciate 2
SkykingUSA2553.50
ToddRGuy1396.00
      09-12-2024, 02:21 AM   #42
patch5674
Enlisted Member
Rep

I am back at 193 as of yesterday.

My car is in the UK awaiting customs clearance.

Status 193 comes back after 195 but it can now represent a whole host of things pretty much until it is with the dealer.

They are still saying delivery WK 39 (23rd) but I now think it will be in the early part of the week so I’m fairly confident I will be going to collect it on the 28th as I won’t be able to go in the week due to work.

To be honest I’m surprised at the time it is taking between it landing in the UK and it getting to the dealer when you consider it was built and shipped in circa 9 days. I would not be surprised if it ends up at the dealer earlier.
Appreciate 3
SkykingUSA2553.50
ToddRGuy1396.00
      Today, 07:27 AM   #43
AiredaleDad
Lieutenant
Spain
Rep

Garage List
Update: Still sitting at 190. Must be a slow transit. Lol.
Appreciate 3
SkykingUSA2553.50
ToddRGuy1396.00
kaotiko58.50
      Today, 12:35 PM   #44
ToddRGuy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Update: Still sitting at 190. Must be a slow transit. Lol.
At least it actually LEFT the factory. Mine is still sitting behind those dumpsters, to the right of the assembly line.
Appreciate 3