BMW i5 and 5-Series Forum

09-12-2024, 09:04 AM   #1
atlbimmer99
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M235ix GC

2024 Macan EV official EPA range numbers

First Window Stickers:
https://www.macanevowners.com/forum/...tickers.17050/

Anyone cross shopped the Macan EV? EPA range just released for the 4 and Turbo models -- 308 miles / 288 miles.

I've been tire kicking the iX, i5 and keeping an eye on Macan EV also. Thoughts?
Appreciate 1
SkykingUSA2595.50
      09-12-2024, 06:34 PM   #2
TLK
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP, '12 550i, '04 545i

I’ve waited 52 weeks now for a Taycan allocation, which still is not on the horizon. I have lost all confidence in Porsche as an EV manufacturer. The price point remains high, despite the general lowering of EV prices, and Porsche’s track record for reliability on the Taycan, as well as timeliness in handling HV battery problems on the Taycan BEV and Porsche hybrids (e.g. Panamera/Cayenne) is generally poor. Combined with the recent scandal that I’ve tracked of 3 owners reporting underbody dents > 3 mm triggering Porsche to insist on mandatory full battery pack replacement at the owner’s cost to the tune of $75k (dropped down to $42k once insurance got involved and wrangling), it doesn’t seem like a smart purchase.

The factory went offline to retool for the Taycan refresh, stalling my allocation, and once production started again, my dealer couldn’t get an allocation but the refresh launch vehicles they were required to purchase in January are trickling in and from watching inventory, I can say sales are not brisk. There is more interest in Macan for sure, but given that Porsche’s parts and technician infrastructure for dealing with EV specific issues such as cooling, HV battery and the like is insufficient for the current number of Taycan’s, and Macan sales are likely to be greater than Taycan, I suspect owners will be in a world of hurt once the service network gets loaded with problem Macans
Appreciate 4
SkykingUSA2595.50
Scrapula4165.50
      09-13-2024, 12:26 AM   #3
AiredaleDad
Lieutenant
Spain
Rep
Drives: 2010 Mercedes CLC 200 CDI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLK View Post
I’ve waited 52 weeks now for a Taycan allocation, which still is not on the horizon. I have lost all confidence in Porsche as an EV manufacturer. The price point remains high, despite the general lowering of EV prices, and Porsche’s track record for reliability on the Taycan, as well as timeliness in handling HV battery problems on the Taycan BEV and Porsche hybrids (e.g. Panamera/Cayenne) is generally poor. Combined with the recent scandal that I’ve tracked of 3 owners reporting underbody dents > 3 mm triggering Porsche to insist on mandatory full battery pack replacement at the owner’s cost to the tune of $75k (dropped down to $42k once insurance got involved and wrangling), it doesn’t seem like a smart purchase.

The factory went offline to retool for the Taycan refresh, stalling my allocation, and once production started again, my dealer couldn’t get an allocation but the refresh launch vehicles they were required to purchase in January are trickling in and from watching inventory, I can say sales are not brisk. There is more interest in Macan for sure, but given that Porsche’s parts and technician infrastructure for dealing with EV specific issues such as cooling, HV battery and the like is insufficient for the current number of Taycan’s, and Macan sales are likely to be greater than Taycan, I suspect owners will be in a world of hurt once the service network gets loaded with problem Macans
Sounds like Porsche is losing in the EV department and knows it. Did they rush to get in the game before they were ready? Waiting a year for an Allocation and still not getting it, despite low sales should tell you maybe you are wanting, and waiting for the wrong vehicle. There's no way I would be able to wait that long. Is there maybe another, higher sales dealer you could go to that has an allocation? Maybe Los Angeles?
Appreciate 1
SkykingUSA2595.50
      09-13-2024, 08:10 AM   #4
Llarry
///M driver
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6-speed

Garage List
I believe Porsche is betting big on the Macan EV. I've been watching for a while now. The problem is do you really want a Macan Electric in the first year or two? I'd have reservations...
      09-13-2024, 11:31 AM   #5
Scrapula
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW i5 M60

Tomorrow, I am going to Electrify Expo in Seattle. Porsche was there last year, but chose not to participate this year. That tells me something right there. Even Toyota and Lexus are there with their single EV which is severely lacking in features.
Appreciate 1
SkykingUSA2595.50
      09-13-2024, 12:59 PM   #6
TLK
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP, '12 550i, '04 545i

I have been perversely letting my allocation roll, curious to see how long it would take. I am cancelling it today as it reaches the 1 year mark because it is starting to depress me.
Appreciate 2
SkykingUSA2595.50