BMW i5 and 5-Series Forum

06-22-2024, 08:13 AM   #23
PsychDoc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 540ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiredaleDad View Post
Ok. I think I'm convinced. Just sent an e-mail to the Broker to add it. Not because I will use it much (If at all), but because of the resale and long trips I may just use it.
As a percentage of purchase price your best return on equity is for the base car. Any and all options add very little (if anything) to the residual value of the car three or five years down the road. The only reason to add options to a car is for your own ownership experience and pleasure.
Appreciate 5
G35c6MT188.00
Scrapula4147.50
ToddRGuy1396.00
SkykingUSA2553.50
      06-22-2024, 09:23 AM   #24
travelbuddha
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

The big thing that the DAPP has that isn't standard is the Evasion Assist. Back when the G05 X5's came out, I read a story on a message board by someone who was driving in the fast lane with the cruise control on and a massive pile up was developing in front of them. The car (which had DAPP) recognized the danger, pulled itself into onto the shoulder and brought itself to a stop untouched. The car that was behind the X5 rear ended the car that was in front of the X5. At that point, it became a non-negotiable for me.
Appreciate 9
DaveAMN66.00
Scrapula4147.50
Ossian342.00
SkykingUSA2553.50
ToddRGuy1396.00
LVBMW2350.50
kaotiko58.50
      06-22-2024, 10:59 AM   #25
COBodom
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 540i

It's 100% worth it. Feature works great and car handles incredibly well. As it's been said before, it now works up to 85mph, which is fantastic on long highway trips.

If you have the means, get it. It doesn't matter how often you're going to use it. When and if you decide to use it, it will be readily available to you. That's how you afford yourself optionality aka luxury in what is a luxury car.

Keep in mind, the preachings how YOU should be driving the Ultimate Driving Machine are comical. These "Ultimate Drivers" are stuck in their 4000lbs mid- range BMW sedan going 30mph in NYC or Long Island traffic. They've never been on the track either (cause it's not a track car to begin with) so that's how they're Ultimately Driving their Ultimate Driving Machine

It's a luxury highway cruiser with some pep... so option it with no regrets !
Appreciate 9
Ossian342.00
SkykingUSA2553.50
ToddRGuy1396.00
LVBMW2350.50
Mattl08061286.00
kaotiko58.50
      06-23-2024, 06:57 PM   #26
Nighthawks
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW 540xi

Quote:
Ok. I think I'm convinced. Just sent an e-mail to the Broker to add it. Not because I will use it much (If at all), but because of the resale and long trips I may just use it. I don't want to find myself wishing I had it next year or when I get back to the US. I am thinking of shipping to Charleston and driving cross-country to Seattle.
I’m glad you made that choice. I enjoy it on my longer trips especially at the end of a long day.
Appreciate 5
Scrapula4147.50
LVBMW2350.50
Kennethjk379.00
kaotiko58.50
      06-23-2024, 10:17 PM   #27
stormchaser
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: NONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddRGuy View Post
I think it's safe to say that most people who purchase vehicles from BMW likely enjoy driving. For me, a vehicle without DAPP was a non-starter. I love to drive, but I also love technology. When I'm doing distance trips and want to lessen my workload, I often find myself engaging lane keeping and ACC on my Audi, so getting this with even more enhanced features on the BMW is exciting.

The same is true when I'm in the air. I'm an instrument rated private pilot who loves airplanes and general aviation. Autopilot and enhanced aviation features allow me to devote myself to other tasks while I'm flying (e.g. reviewing navigation charts, looking at approach plates, drinking some water, having a snack) while not having to worry about maintaining altitude, drifting a few degrees off course, etc.

I haven't used DAPP yet (as my car hasn't been built yet) but I've watched many videos and believe I'll find its enhanced features useful. Will I use it to drive 5 miles to the grocery store? Unlikely. Or a trip through a State-route with fun twisties? No way. Will I use it on a 200-mile Interstate cruise? Absolutely. In bad, bumper to bumper traffic? Indeed.

The additional safety enhancements it brings to lessen driver workload and keep you fresh seems beneficial. I've read countless studies on human mental fatigue, and our ability to focus over extended periods of time. It was a significant interest when I worked in an area of healthcare that involved medical quality assurance. You would be surprised how much your driving skills deteriorate over long distance periods.

Just like, any other set of enhancements you can equip your modern car with, I do not believe that having or not having DAPP makes you any more or less of an auto enthusiast. As others have mentioned, it all comes down to personal preference and your comfort level with newer technology.
Agree 100% as I stated above. I just got back from a 5-hour drive in Colorado of which 3 hours was on I-70 in traffic. ACC and Lane Assist are all engaged. On Independence Pass of course not, 70 absolutely. The Audi system is not as good as the BMW FYI compared to DAP. On BMW it seems you get ACC on some standard packages and basic lane assist (Does not work great). He might only need ACC and get away with not spending the 2K. I would not live without the full features however.
Appreciate 3
Scrapula4147.50
ToddRGuy1396.00
SkykingUSA2553.50
      06-24-2024, 07:17 AM   #28
AiredaleDad
Lieutenant
Spain
Rep
Drives: 2010 Mercedes CLC 200 CDI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychDoc View Post
As a percentage of purchase price your best return on equity is for the base car. Any and all options add very little (if anything) to the residual value of the car three or five years down the road. The only reason to add options to a car is for your own ownership experience and pleasure.
Yeah, I understand what you are saying. However, it's for my own enjoyment, since it's something I will likely end up regretting if I don't get it, and then wish I did ( I thought I could download it later if I wanted to try it or use for a trip).

In the event I decide I want to sell my car in the future, I am more likely to get a better price for a fully optioned car, than for one which may lack certain highly valued options that cannot be added later at a dealer. Especially if I were to sell to an individual and not a trade-in. Dealers ALWAYS lowball the trade, then mark it up when they sell it.

Someone mentioned before that the DAPP is the way of the future. More and more people are going to want it as the current generation of "Drivers" fades out. It will also keep my car relevant for longer, as I feel like more cars are going to start equipping their higher and mid range models with it as "Standard" along with ACC. Especially as the technology matures, and more roads are set up properly to allow it.

Lol, I read that MOST people in the US right now don't know how to drive a manual transmission, or change a tire. (Probably why they made the Mobility Kit standard instead of a spare tire.) We get people coming to Spain all the time looking desperately for Automatic cars to buy because they feel it would be too hard to learn to drive a manual. Most cars in the EU are Manual. Rental car companies charge a hefty premium for an Automatic.
Appreciate 3
Scrapula4147.50
LVBMW2350.50
SkykingUSA2553.50
      06-27-2024, 12:20 AM   #29
AiredaleDad
Lieutenant
Spain
Rep
Drives: 2010 Mercedes CLC 200 CDI

Garage List
So to my understanding so far from what I have seen. When you purchase DAPP, you only get it for 8 years. Then the feature goes away. What happens after that? Do you have to re-purchase it? Does it then downgrade to ACC + Stop & Go? Do you then have to pay a subscription fee to continue it working? Or do you end up with nothing but standard cruise control? I would like to think that after paying for the additional Hardware and Software package, BMW wouldn't just leave us in the lurch. I am not finding any information on this. I just changed my order to include it, but now am having second thoughts.
Appreciate 1
SkykingUSA2553.50
      06-27-2024, 11:58 AM   #30
Scrapula
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW i5 M60

Quote:
So to my understanding so far from what I have seen. When you purchase DAPP, you only get it for 8 years. Then the feature goes away. What happens after that? Do you have to re-purchase it? Does it then downgrade to ACC + Stop & Go? Do you then have to pay a subscription fee to continue it working? Or do you end up with nothing but standard cruise control? I would like to think that after paying for the additional Hardware and Software package, BMW wouldn't just leave us in the lurch. I am not finding any information on this. I just changed my order to include it, but now am having second thoughts.
I believe it is a subscription, although I don’t know the cost. The $2,000 upfront for 8 years is much less than other vehicles. Ford’s Blue Cruise is $2,100 every 3 years.
Appreciate 1
SkykingUSA2553.50
      06-28-2024, 12:39 AM   #31
ToddRGuy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A5, 2025 BMW 540 -Ordered

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapula View Post
I believe it is a subscription, although I don’t know the cost. The $2,000 upfront for 8 years is much less than other vehicles. Ford’s Blue Cruise is $2,100 every 3 years.
Yes, I read an article that called this out specifically

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/b...in-212194.html

The automaker (which, fortunately, has a press office unlike other car brands out there) told us that the hands-free ADAS is based on high-definition mapping, which seems to be the industry standard today. The first eight years come with free updates every time BMW (or its partner) finishes adding more high-speed roads into the system.

Afterward, the customer who wishes to continue enjoying hands-free driving will have to make additional purchases. We have not been told what those “additional purchases” are, but the marque will likely sell a subscription or tell owners that they need to pay extra for high-definition map updates. Initially, we believed it might be hardware related but we presumed wrong.
Appreciate 4
SkykingUSA2553.50
Scrapula4147.50
      06-30-2024, 09:54 PM   #32
Kennethjk
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: IX 50, Mustang Mach E, BMWX3

Garage List
2023 bmw x3  [0.00]
2024 bmw IX 50  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychDoc View Post
I have never understood why anyone would spend ~$75k on something characterized (rightly or wrongly) as "the ultimate driving machine" only to plop themselves down in the "driver's" seat and have the car drive itself while the "driver" sits there nervously, hands at the ready, poised to take control of the vehicle should anything go wrong. It seems utterly absurd to me and is a "feature" I wouldn't spend $0.02 on.

I figure if I wanted to be driven rather than drive, I'd buy an old Lincoln Continental and hire a driver.
Not sure if you’ve ever taken a long trip for many hours. Having driven the IX50 from Florida to NY it reduces “stress” . I can drive longer and I am less tired.
I’ve been driving BMWs for over 40 years and have had almost all of them, some I drove real hard and others not. When driving on a straight road for hours at a time with their system it is just more relaxing. I don’t use it all the time , depending on traffic conditions but it is a great system and worth every penny. This is coming from someone that never ever used cruise control until getting the IX and using blue cruise in my Ford Mach E. Basically the same as BMWs just not as good.

I will add that if you want a tremendous handling car get a small one or an M version.
Appreciate 2
SkykingUSA2553.50
kaotiko58.50
      07-01-2024, 09:01 PM   #33
mrrairai
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 i760, 2024 i5 M60

Worth it!!
Appreciate 4
ToddRGuy1396.00
SkykingUSA2553.50
kaotiko58.50
      07-05-2024, 07:13 AM   #34
aherman18
Private
Rep
Drives: 21 530ex, 23 X5 45e

Is there a map (other than in the vehicle) that I can check which roads are covered by the "pro" version? Something like I can compare with GM Supercruise?

Thanks.

Andrew
Appreciate 1
SkykingUSA2553.50
      07-06-2024, 02:06 AM   #35
desalvorw
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Honda Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aherman18 View Post
Is there a map (other than in the vehicle) that I can check which roads are covered by the "pro" version? Something like I can compare with GM Supercruise?

Thanks.

Andrew
Not at all. I even signed up for an account with the mapping partner, HERE, and there’s nothing.
Appreciate 2
SkykingUSA2553.50
ToddRGuy1396.00
      09-07-2024, 12:00 PM   #36
RumblingCannon
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Thanks for all the inputs. I just have 2 'silly' questions while DAPP is active: 1) where do you keep both arms/hands? 2) where do you rest your right foot? These could be trivia for most of you have already been enjoying these features but not so obvious for someone has never considered these. Thanks
Appreciate 1
SkykingUSA2553.50
      09-07-2024, 01:56 PM   #37
TLK
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP, '12 550i, '04 545i

Late to this party but here are my thoughts about this:

If your not on a constrained budget, just get it. I’ve been waiting for a Porsche Taycan allocation for a year now, and that is an expensive car. The full ADAS stack is ridiculously small compared to the full purchase price with healthy optioning, something like 2%. It’s a higher on the BMWs, but not hugely. An old dealer trick is to tell you to buy options just to keep your resale value up, which of course is pseudo-slimeball, but in this case I agree with it. Purchasing the full ADAS stack for a car outright (not subscription if it can be avoided) does help with resale (not the price you get, but the appeal of your car vs. others for sale in the same market).

Also, in this day and age, my opinion is to just get whatever ADAS is available. I just drove several hours each way for a business call using my M5 which has no ADAS other than traditional speed-control cruise control (the no less than 7 radiators crammed into the front bumper area obviate the placement of a forward facing radar!). It was great, the mountain pass sectins were blistering fast, and I got rid of the slowpokes in the first 2 minutes and was unconstrained. There was 30 minutes of canyon carving which was also very nice But once on the highway there was an hour of stop-and-go with single digit speeds one way, and boring straight valley runs for 30 or more minutes even at unconstrained speeds. I so wished for active cruise control and lane centering. The point of this story is that yes, on a single drive, you can encounter both sporty hand-on blissful driving in a “driver’s car”, and crappy bad traffic or uninteresting sections of road that bring little pleasure but just add to the trip fatigue.

Moral: get the ADAS features because even for a “driver” in a “driver’s car”, there’s always a time and a place for letting the car take over some of the pilot workload.
Appreciate 4
rgw81.00
ToddRGuy1396.00
SkykingUSA2553.50
      09-07-2024, 03:39 PM   #38
rgw
Rep
Drives: 2022 A4 Allroad, 2025 540i

Garage List
I didn’t put it in my 2025 build. It has lane keep, adaptive cruise, and stop and go cruise. It can already unburden you from active driving on high-speed highways or stop and go arterials with those features. I can change lanes myself if I need to do it.
Appreciate 2
SkykingUSA2553.50
Scrapula4147.50
      09-08-2024, 02:48 AM   #39
SkykingUSA
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 i5 eDrive40

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumblingCannon View Post
Thanks for all the inputs. I just have 2 'silly' questions while DAPP is active: 1) where do you keep both arms/hands? 2) where do you rest your right foot? These could be trivia for most of you have already been enjoying these features but not so obvious for someone has never considered these. Thanks
This is what I do:
  • When I'm driving in Assist Plus mode (meaning I don't have to keep my hands on the wheel), I usually rest my hands on my legs, palm down. That way, they are ready to grab the wheel quickly if needed.
  • My right foot just gets pulled back a little and sits on the floor in front of me. Essentially, I bend my knee a little more and rest my leg against the center console a bit usually. It's the same place I put it when I'm using cruise control without DAPP.
2024 i5 eDrive40 / Vegas Red / Black Veganza / Dark Oak Gloss Trim with Dark Silv Acc / Premium Package / M Sport Package / M Sport Pro Package / Driving Assistance Pro Package / Luxury Seating Package / 19" 936 M Aero Wheels NonRFT

Appreciate 4
      09-08-2024, 06:17 AM   #40
desalvorw
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Honda Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkykingUSA View Post
This is what I do:

When I'm driving in Assist Plus mode (meaning I don't have to keep my hands on the wheel), I usually rest my hands on my legs, palm down. That way, they are ready to grab the wheel quickly if needed.
My right foot just gets pulled back a little and sits on the floor in front of me. Essentially, I bend my knee a little more and rest my leg against the center console a bit usually. It's the same place I put it when I'm using cruise control without DAPP.
Same here.
Appreciate 2