BMW i5 and 5-Series Forum

08-26-2024, 02:15 PM   #1
Fausto
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 118i

Automatic climate control fans not working properly after detailing

Hey guys,

I own a BMW 118i from 06/2017 and a week ago I took it to get an interior detailing done, primarily due to stains on the sets. The guy at the shop quoted me a price based on condition of the car and said the "ozone climate treatment" is included in the price.

The car came out really nice, the sets look better than I expected, and I'm very happy. 3 days later, however, I notice the climate fans were not working as expected. I always have my 2 zone climate control set to Auto mode and the temp is set between 20 and 22 degrees Celsius, depending on how hot it is outside.

I usually just play with the intensity of the fan, so if it's too hot, I press the fan button twice to set the fan intensity higher (starting from the lowest setting) and the fan makes an audible noise, and it blows air at a pretty good/high rate.

This is not happening any more, and even at max, it's barely audible, and the intensity is definitely not there. If I press the MAX AC button, it works as expected meaning air comes out really fast and cold, and also when I turn off the Auto mode and play with the intensity of the fan, it works fine.

I just noticed this behaviour today because it was hot outside and usually on Auto mode with middle fan intensity does the job of cooling the car and keeping it at a good temp. After turning my car off and then on again (after a good 10-20 mins), the fans started working as expected again on Auto AC mode. Now they're not working properly any more.

It seems to be an on-off issue and I swear I can hear a very low and odd sound coming from the AC vents, like a very, very low whistling.

Do you think this is due to the ozone treatment or is it something else? Anyone had this issue before? Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2024, 02:28 PM   #2
DrVenture
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M550i 2022

You might try disconnecting the main battery for 5-10 minutes, then reconnecting and testing everything again, before anything else.
      08-27-2024, 02:56 AM   #3
Fausto
Registered
Rep

Why do you think that would help though?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2024, 09:11 AM   #4
DrVenture
First Lieutenant
Rep

It resets the volatile parameters in the car, called 'keep alive memory" - KAM. It is just a good thing to try when electronics are involved, before paying for diagnosis. Many mysteries of the modern automobile have been solved that way. lol
      08-27-2024, 09:43 AM   #5
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '25 Z4, '15 X3 35i (135i sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fausto View Post
Do you think this is due to the ozone treatment or is it something else?
It certainly shouldn't be the cause, ozone is a gas, its use here is intended for smell removal but it's not wet or anything else to cause an issue.

I like the resetting idea, but would be ready for the idea that it won't work. Sounds like the fan's OK, as it can work with the right settings, so maybe it's the actual physical button itself that's not working? Maybe there's something behind it, and it can't be pressed all the way down? Or some liquid got into it (a spray cleaner perhaps) and caused damage?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2024, 10:41 AM   #6
DrVenture
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
It certainly shouldn't be the cause, ozone is a gas, its use here is intended for smell removal but it's not wet or anything else to cause an issue.

I like the resetting idea, but would be ready for the idea that it won't work. Sounds like the fan's OK, as it can work with the right settings, so maybe it's the actual physical button itself that's not working? Maybe there's something behind it, and it can't be pressed all the way down? Or some liquid got into it (a spray cleaner perhaps) and caused damage?
Yeah, that occurred to me as well. Or just a coincidence. If I thought it was the physical button contacts, I might try pressing it up/down/sideways to see if it was intermittent. Or spraying around the button with a contact cleaner, then operating the switch several times.

I always spray my cleaners on a cloth, so it doesn't get somewhere it shouldn't. They may douse the dash and agitate with a brush, then wipe the surfaces clean? Theoretically that could affect non-sealed electrical contacts. A SWAG.

Does the screen indicator change when to adjust fan speed? If so, the button is working I think.
Does the "Auto" led light when auto is engaged? If so, then that button is working it would appear.
If "Max Air" works every time to speed up the fan, then the fan appears to be fine.

Rather than change the fan speed in auto mode to get more cooling, try lowering the temp knob 5 degrees, which should also increase fan speed.

Last edited by DrVenture; 08-28-2024 at 06:48 AM..
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2024, 06:24 AM   #7
pegogetem
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 740i

Garage List
2023 BMW 740i  [5.00]
These rogue detailing people don’t respect electronics! They watch these random videos of brush foaming and think it’s the standard without any regard of these electronics, their one track mind is “Get it Clean”. Tinters do the same with liquids and door electronics.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2024, 10:22 AM   #8
Fausto
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrVenture View Post
Yeah, that occurred to me as well. Or just a coincidence. If I thought it was the physical button contacts, I might try pressing it up/down/sideways to see if it was intermittent. Or spraying around the button with a contact cleaner, then operating the switch several times.

I always spray my cleaners on a cloth, so it doesn't get somewhere it shouldn't. They may douse the dash and agitate with a brush, then wipe the surfaces clean? Theoretically that could affect non-sealed electrical contacts. A SWAG.

Does the screen indicator change when to adjust fan speed? If so, the button is working I think.
Does the "Auto" led light when auto is engaged? If so, then that button is working it would appear.
If "Max Air" works every time to speed up the fan, then the fan appears to be fine.

Rather than change the fan speed in auto mode to get more cooling, try lowering the temp knob 5 degrees, which should also increase fan speed.

Yes to all 3 questions, screen indicator works, "auto" LED light works and "max AC" also works fine. I went for a ride today, and it worked fine, how weird is that?
Appreciate 1
DrVenture856.00