08-05-2024, 07:25 PM   #1
ToddRGuy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A5, 2025 BMW 540 -Ordered

Garage List
Questions about Tire/Rims & Stuff

Okay, so I'm the first to admit I'm not knowledgeable regarding rims on vehicles. I really liked the look of the 20" 938M Wheels, but ultimately decided against them due to the staggered setup, and inability to select a square configuration. There was about zero percent change I wanted to go to 21" tires in the pothole landmine zone, known as the Midwest.

A few questions, some related:
  • If I ever decided to switch to these, would it be possible to simply purchase four of the 20" front rims, and put on four 245/40-20" tires?
  • What's the requirement to get the higher speed limiter setting from the factory?
  • Can this be changed by the dealership in the future, either upon request or when the criteria are met?

And a couple unrelated questions, but still on the same general topic:
  • Can anyone tell me if this is the correct size for Floating Center Caps for the Bicolor Black 935M Wheels - 5x112
  • Can anyone tell me what the part number is for the locking lug nuts for the G60?
Appreciate 1
SkykingUSA2586.50
      08-06-2024, 02:13 AM   #2
AiredaleDad
Lieutenant
Spain
Rep
Drives: 2010 Mercedes CLC 200 CDI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddRGuy View Post
Okay, so I'm the first to admit I'm not knowledgeable regarding rims on vehicles. I really liked the look of the 20" 938M Wheels, but ultimately decided against them due to the staggered setup, and inability to select a square configuration. There was about zero percent change I wanted to go to 21" tires in the pothole landmine zone, known as the Midwest.

A few questions, some related:
  • If I ever decided to switch to these, would it be possible to simply purchase four of the 20" front rims, and put on four 245/40-20" tires?
  • What's the requirement to get the higher speed limiter setting from the factory?
  • Can this be changed by the dealership in the future, either upon request or when the criteria are met?

And a couple unrelated questions, but still on the same general topic:
  • Can anyone tell me if this is the correct size for Floating Center Caps for the Bicolor Black 935M Wheels - 5x112
  • Can anyone tell me what the part number is for the locking lug nuts for the G60?
Todd, I got the 938 M wheels on my order. I tried to change from 3GP (A/S Tires) to 3GN (Summer Tires) in order to get the increased top speed from the factory. Unfortunately I was not in time as when my Broker went in to change them he found out my order had gone to Code 150 (In Production) While I understand that it does not really mean my car is in production, until 151 (Body Shop), it does mean the configuration is Locked and parts are being sourced for my car.

If you have not gone code 150 yet, you can have them change to the summer tires and that automatically adds the higher top speed limiter. But the 3GA 19" Square configuration only comes with A/S Tires and the lower limiter.

I am pretty sure you can order whatever wheels you want later. And if you order summer tires rated for the higher speed, you can probably have the service Dept re-code the limiter. However, I am not sure if the Staggered setup is ALSO a requirement for the higher limiter. It could be since the wider rear tires will make it more stable in cornering since it widens the stance, and more rubber will meet the road. You live in Ohio (I was born in Berea), and I know the winters there are bad. My suggestion (If you still are code 111, or 112) is that you get the 938M's with Summer tires to get the higher limiter, and order a set of the 19's and put winter or A/S tires on them for the winter months. I don't think anyone in the service dept. or any garage of choice you take it to, is going to change your limiter when you swap out tires for the season.

The part number for the set of 4 locking lug nuts is 36132453961.

Last edited by AiredaleDad; 08-06-2024 at 10:58 PM.. Reason: Content
Appreciate 4
SkykingUSA2586.50
ToddRGuy1459.00
madagil24.00
      08-06-2024, 05:19 PM   #3
DaveDBD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

The higher speed limiter raises top to 155 mph from 135 mph.

Unless you plan to ship the car to Europe, this is a useless increase as no road in USA has a limit over 80 mph, and even passing a long line of cars it is doubtful you will get above 115 mph.

Just get the all season tires.
Appreciate 3
SkykingUSA2586.50
ToddRGuy1459.00
      08-06-2024, 06:06 PM   #4
ToddRGuy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A5, 2025 BMW 540 -Ordered

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDBD View Post
The higher speed limiter raises top to 155 mph from 135 mph.

Unless you plan to ship the car to Europe, this is a useless increase as no road in USA has a limit over 80 mph, and even passing a long line of cars it is doubtful you will get above 115 mph.

Just get the all season tires.
I’m just planning for the zombie apocalypse.
Appreciate 3
SkykingUSA2586.50
DaveDBD258.00
      08-06-2024, 06:53 PM   #5
TLK
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP, '12 550i, '04 545i

Although I live in Calif and drive on summer tires year round, your profile says you live in the midwest. If I were you I’d order the car with summer tires to get the limiter unlocked, then buy some winter wheels with your all-season or winter tires. Doing it that way does not ever involve a US dealer, because frankly 130 vs. 155 mph is not an interaction I want to have with a dealer as it leaves a record trail.

Of course, when I got my Corvette, it was not limited (max 188 mph) even though the original equipment Goodyear tires were so so bad, the car was dangerous in the wet at 35 mph much less 65.
Appreciate 2
ToddRGuy1459.00
SkykingUSA2586.50