BMW i5 and 5-Series Forum

07-18-2024, 12:04 PM   #1
F10_Freq
Private
Rep
Drives: i5 eDrive40, 535i Sport

Digital Key Plus -Car not found

This morning my phone was not connected to my car. I checked and digital key was still paired but the app/wallet said “car not found.” Fortunately I was at home and after unlocking with the key, my phone reconnected.

Last thing I did was last night I charged up a little bit (for only two hours) and stopped the charging manually with my phone. When detaching the cable I did notice that after I walked away the car locked as usual, but then when I walked by it again, it did not unlock like it normally (and annoyingly) does. I also washed my car earlier in the evening.

Anyone see this before? Up until now digital key has been rock solid.
Appreciate 2
LVBMW2364.00
SkykingUSA2595.50
      07-18-2024, 01:42 PM   #2
LVBMW
Major
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60 '23 Tesla Model Y-P

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F10_Freq View Post
This morning my phone was not connected to my car. I checked and digital key was still paired but the app/wallet said “car not found.” Fortunately I was at home and after unlocking with the key, my phone reconnected.

Last thing I did was last night I charged up a little bit (for only two hours) and stopped the charging manually with my phone. When detaching the cable I did notice that after I walked away the car locked as usual, but then when I walked by it again, it did not unlock like it normally (and annoyingly) does. I also washed my car earlier in the evening.

Anyone see this before? Up until now digital key has been rock solid.
If you're near the car, and it repeatedly senses the phone but nobody enters the car, it will eventually stop listening for the passive entry function. You then need to grab the door handle to wake it up. This could be what happened.
Appreciate 1
SkykingUSA2595.50
      07-18-2024, 02:11 PM   #3
SkykingUSA
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 i5 eDrive40

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVBMW View Post
If you're near the car, and it repeatedly senses the phone but nobody enters the car, it will eventually stop listening for the passive entry function. You then need to grab the door handle to wake it up. This could be what happened.
Also note that you should be patient when grabbing the door handle because it sometimes takes my car 5-8 seconds before it unlocks after I grab for the door handle. This happens to me if I spend too much time in the kitchen when my car is in the garage. The kitchen is just close enough for the car to detect my phone, but not close enough to unlock. So, at first I thought it was "broken", but after a little testing, I realized the car stopped listening because I would get close and leave all the time without opening the car.

It's kind of a pain, but now when I enter the kitchen, I put my phone down on the far counter where it is too far for the car to detect. That way, when I actually go into the garage to open the car, it always unlocks right away as I approach. Once we learn how these technologies work, it's easy to adapt or at least to understand how to work better with them.
2024 i5 eDrive40 / Vegas Red / Black Veganza / Dark Oak Gloss Trim with Dark Silv Acc / Premium Package / M Sport Package / M Sport Pro Package / Driving Assistance Pro Package / Luxury Seating Package / 19" 936 M Aero Wheels NonRFT

Appreciate 1
LVBMW2364.00
      07-18-2024, 05:24 PM   #4
F10_Freq
Private
Rep
Drives: i5 eDrive40, 535i Sport

Yes I’ve heard it will recognize you are not trying to access after a few passes, but it never seems to really do that for me. At any rate, I was trying to access it the next day. First approach of the day. I was trying to access the car via the app to remote control out of my spot at first, then tried through the door handle. I guess it just didn’t want to wake up. I’ll chalk it up to an anomaly. I really don’t want to have to carry a fob again.
Appreciate 2
PsychDoc2431.50
SkykingUSA2595.50