BMW i5 and 5-Series Forum

07-14-2024, 12:12 PM   #23
Bklyn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Ram 1500

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVBMW View Post
Sorry about your issues. Obviously you don’t need the BMW charger. Most don’t use the BMW charger and have no issues. I agree that is a dumb excuse. I know it’s off topic for this thread, but have you tried charging on other L2 chargers or using the L1 110V cable to try to narrow down the issue?
No I haven't tried other chargers yet. MY house is undergoing a renovation and expansion and I am installing another L2 charger, in addition to the Tesla HPWC. It is not operational yet. For now I have check when I plug it in that I get a message from the app alerting to me that it is plugged in. It still happens in both homes that I don't get the alert. I have been able to get it to charge by unplugging and plugging back in.
Appreciate 1
SkykingUSA2595.50
      07-14-2024, 12:27 PM   #24
Scrapula
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW i5 M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklyn View Post
Agree and disagree. My three Teslas didn't fall apart. I just chose not to own a vehicle without a warranty. Also I would NEVER buy any EV. I don't care who manufactures it. Again your mileage may vary but my experience with MY vehicle is completely unacceptable, and I blame my dealer for adding to the problems. I will never buy or lease any vehicle this dealer sells.
Also I don't want to be misunderstood, I am not saying buy Tesla. I am expressing my frustration with my vehicle and experience. I have had this thing for almost 5 months and every week something is not right. That is not what I signed on for, nor did I sign up to be a guinea pig for them to learn on. I know mechanical things can break but this is ridiculous IN MY OPINION.
Then you should lemon your car. Something is obviously not right. My car has been great.
Appreciate 3
SkykingUSA2595.50
Kennethjk382.00
Bklyn553.00
      07-14-2024, 06:42 PM   #25
Kennethjk
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: IX 50, Mustang Mach E, BMWX3

Garage List
2023 bmw x3  [0.00]
2024 bmw IX 50  [0.00]
Quote:
Agree and disagree. My three Teslas didn't fall apart. I just chose not to own a vehicle without a warranty. Also I would NEVER buy any EV. I don't care who manufactures it. Again your mileage may vary but my experience with MY vehicle is completely unacceptable, and I blame my dealer for adding to the problems. I will never buy or lease any vehicle this dealer sells.
Also I don't want to be misunderstood, I am not saying buy Tesla. I am expressing my frustration with my vehicle and experience. I have had this thing for almost 5 months and every week something is not right. That is not what I signed on for, nor did I sign up to be a guinea pig for them to learn on. I know mechanical things can break but this is ridiculous IN MY OPINION.
I am curious what are the things that occurring every week.

I don’t have my car unlock auto and sometimes I have to pull the door handle a couple of time to open. Not that big a deal. I do have it lock automatically. By the way, same thing happened to my Mach E. Had to press the button to open th door several times. Might be because in EVs battery has to awaken.

I use a juicebox EVsE and it charges fine except is slows down after 45 minutes to a lower amp, same as it did for my Mach E so that is probably a juicebox issue, on my third one, first 2 broke. My Autel in Florida charges perfectly and no issues.

Other than my horn breaking in the first week everything has been fine.

I think their app isn’t great and the way it works regarding charging, time slots etc is pretty weak but assume it will get better.

Edit: BTW I don’t use the FOB, PAAk only.
Appreciate 2
SkykingUSA2595.50
Bklyn553.00
      07-15-2024, 10:58 AM   #26
PsychDoc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 540ix

For anyone interested, the update is that it had nothing to do with frequent lock/unlock sequences or, frankly, anything else. There seems to have been a glitch in the functionality that was not resolved by the 60 second volume control reboot or anything else. All settings were perfect, the digital key was in my Samsung wallet, etc. And still the comfort access when walking up to or away from the car was still not working....

So...we had to uninstall the phone, delete the digital key in its entirety and reinstall everything from scratch. And, of course, I had both physical key fobs in the car as I knew if anything like this had to be done, I'd need them with me. Thankfully I had two BMW geniuses at the dealership helping me, but once everything was reinstalled and up and running, voilà, everything worked just fine.

The good news is if this ever happens again, I'm pretty sure I know how to do this myself at this point.

Wow, quite the ordeal, but all's well that ends well.

Last edited by PsychDoc; 07-15-2024 at 11:06 AM..
Appreciate 6
LVBMW2364.00
Scrapula4165.50
SkykingUSA2595.50
Bklyn553.00
digriz177.00
      07-15-2024, 01:22 PM   #27
Scrapula
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW i5 M60

I have done the complete delete and set up several times. It seems to get messed up every time I do beta testing for the MyBMW app. That requires me to delete my vehicle and add it back in for each test. Without fail, it messes up the digital key. I don’t mind doing it, but my husband gets pissed off when he needs to set it back up.
Appreciate 2
SkykingUSA2595.50
LVBMW2364.00
      07-15-2024, 05:08 PM   #28
Bklyn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Ram 1500

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychDoc View Post
For anyone interested, the update is that it had nothing to do with frequent lock/unlock sequences or, frankly, anything else. There seems to have been a glitch in the functionality that was not resolved by the 60 second volume control reboot or anything else. All settings were perfect, the digital key was in my Samsung wallet, etc. And still the comfort access when walking up to or away from the car was still not working....

So...we had to uninstall the phone, delete the digital key in its entirety and reinstall everything from scratch. And, of course, I had both physical key fobs in the car as I knew if anything like this had to be done, I'd need them with me. Thankfully I had two BMW geniuses at the dealership helping me, but once everything was reinstalled and up and running, voilà, everything worked just fine.

The good news is if this ever happens again, I'm pretty sure I know how to do this myself at this point.

Wow, quite the ordeal, but all's well that ends well.
The service manager told me or strongly suggested that I delete my phone and reinstall after every iPhone firmware update. Also said I should reboot the phone after I do an update and before I re-pair it. (Had no effect)

That seems a bit much for an advanced tech machine/device.

It really is a shame as when it operates properly I do enjoy it. But these constant issues take the joy out of it.

I haven't ruled out lemon law, but having gone through that before it's not a pleasurable experience and I don't take it lightly. At some point prior to the end of the lease term it will make financial sense to eat some cost to get rid of it.

Who knows by then maybe they can get it right with firmware updates. But I have no expectations that the service department figures out how to talk to customers.
The last part really sticks with me. I never bought a car from them before and if God willing I live long enough it surely wont be my last car, but it will be the last car I buy from Habberstad.

Last edited by Bklyn; 07-16-2024 at 06:01 AM..
Appreciate 1
SkykingUSA2595.50
      07-15-2024, 05:16 PM   #29
Kennethjk
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: IX 50, Mustang Mach E, BMWX3

Garage List
2023 bmw x3  [0.00]
2024 bmw IX 50  [0.00]
Quote:
The service manager told me or strongly suggested that I delete my phone and reinstall after every iPhone firmware update. Also said I should reboot the phone after I do an update and before I repair it. (Had no effect)

That seems a bit much for an advanced tech machine/device.

It really is a shame as when it operates properly I do enjoy it. But these constant issues take the joy out of it.

I haven't ruled out lemon law, but having gone through that before it's not a pleasurable experience and I don't take it lightly. At some point prior to the end of the lease term it will make financial sense to eat some cost to get rid of it.

Who knows by then maybe they can get it right with firmware updates. But I have no expectations that the service department figures out how to talk to customers.
The last part really sticks with me. I never bought a car from them before and if God willing I live long enough it surely wont be my last car, but it will be the last car I buy from Habberstad.
Shame the dealership has fallen short.

If there is another dealership as an option as others have said take it to them. I only use my dealership due to the service manager being top notch. My salesman of 37 retired right before Covid.

Dealerships are dealerships- enough said.

With all the BMWs I have had I have never had one with “real” problems.

Even when a seatbelt harness went after 5 years in my Z3, cost was $800, I sent a letter to the regional manager and they reimbursed me.

Hope you get some relief , having car issues is no fun.
Appreciate 1
SkykingUSA2595.50
      07-15-2024, 06:23 PM   #30
AiredaleDad
Lieutenant
Spain
Rep
Drives: 2010 Mercedes CLC 200 CDI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapula View Post
I have done the complete delete and set up several times. It seems to get messed up every time I do beta testing for the MyBMW app. That requires me to delete my vehicle and add it back in for each test. Without fail, it messes up the digital key. I don’t mind doing it, but my husband gets pissed off when he needs to set it back up.
I have to wonder....is this a problem EVERYONE is having with their new G60? Or is it limited to a few who are having this same issue, and others are not having the same problem. I for one am the type who would have a fob in my pocket regardless, and not rely on a digital key unless I happened to be using my phone while walking up to the car in a parking lot. Or if I bought PAP and needed to back it out of a parking spot. I don't think I would ever rely on not having a Fob and driving to work in case it didn't work. I could always fish the fob out of my pocket and unlock the car.
Appreciate 2
SkykingUSA2595.50
      07-15-2024, 06:34 PM   #31
LVBMW
Major
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60 '23 Tesla Model Y-P

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AiredaleDad View Post
I have to wonder....is this a problem EVERYONE is having with their new G60? Or is it limited to a few who are having this same issue, and others are not having the same problem. I for one am the type who would have a fob in my pocket regardless, and not rely on a digital key unless I happened to be using my phone while walking up to the car in a parking lot. Or if I bought PAP and needed to back it out of a parking spot. I don't think I would ever rely on not having a Fob and driving to work in case it didn't work. I could always fish the fob out of my pocket and unlock the car.
There’s a plastic credit card key that is much easier to carry as a backup vs the bulky fob.
Appreciate 3
SkykingUSA2595.50
PsychDoc2431.50
      07-15-2024, 06:49 PM   #32
SkykingUSA
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 i5 eDrive40

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVBMW View Post
There’s a plastic credit card key that is much easier to carry as a backup vs the bulky fob.
Agreed. That's what I carry in my wallet just in case my phone doesn't work.
2024 i5 eDrive40 / Vegas Red / Black Veganza / Dark Oak Gloss Trim with Dark Silv Acc / Premium Package / M Sport Package / M Sport Pro Package / Driving Assistance Pro Package / Luxury Seating Package / 19" 936 M Aero Wheels NonRFT

Appreciate 1
LVBMW2364.00
      07-16-2024, 09:49 PM   #33
RichardInCA
Captain
Rep
Drives: 24 BMW i5 M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AiredaleDad View Post
Nope, I’ve never had this issue.
Appreciate 3
LVBMW2364.00
SkykingUSA2595.50
      07-17-2024, 08:21 AM   #34
MikeElmendorf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5/2024 i5 M60

I’ve not had any issues with digital key either (other than having to grab the handle to wake it up when I’m at home and it has stopped listening for the key because of its repeated proximity, which is clearly by design).
Appreciate 3
Scrapula4165.50
SkykingUSA2595.50
LVBMW2364.00
      07-17-2024, 09:12 AM   #35
PsychDoc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 540ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeElmendorf View Post
I’ve not had any issues with digital key either (other than having to grab the handle to wake it up when I’m at home and it has stopped listening for the key because of its repeated proximity, which is clearly by design).
I'm hoping that now that everything is up and running that this will not be recurring in the future. It's a wonderful system that's so convenient. Carrying a keyfob (especially one as huge as the one that comes with this car) is so yesterday. :-)
Appreciate 3
LVBMW2364.00
SkykingUSA2595.50
Scrapula4165.50
      07-17-2024, 12:19 PM   #36
SkykingUSA
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 i5 eDrive40

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeElmendorf View Post
After more testing, I realized that this has been what's happening to me. Since the update, perhaps the proximity has been more sensitive because it never happened as often before the update. I think the car senses my phone more often now than before when I'm in the kitchen.

Thanks to everyone for helping me figure it out.
2024 i5 eDrive40 / Vegas Red / Black Veganza / Dark Oak Gloss Trim with Dark Silv Acc / Premium Package / M Sport Package / M Sport Pro Package / Driving Assistance Pro Package / Luxury Seating Package / 19" 936 M Aero Wheels NonRFT

Appreciate 2
LVBMW2364.00
Scrapula4165.50