BMW i5 and 5-Series Forum

06-02-2024, 06:10 AM   #1
Bklyn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Ram 1500

Still having random issues in CarPlay

Anyone else experiencing this ? Many when using Spotify, the gesture control or hard press buttons on console will randomly not function to forward past a song. The only way to do it is in the Spotify app on my iPhone. When this happens I also notice sometimes the vehicle wont unlock when phone is in my pocket. When I take it out of my pocket and wake up my phone it will unlock. Very frustrating.
Appreciate 1
SkykingUSA2586.50
      06-02-2024, 08:10 AM   #2
Theophilus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW i5 M60

Try removing your mobile phone from the settings, rebooting your phone and iDrive, and then adding your phone again.
Appreciate 1
SkykingUSA2586.50
      06-02-2024, 09:12 AM   #3
Ossian
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 I5 M60 and 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklyn View Post
Anyone else experiencing this ? Many when using Spotify, the gesture control or hard press buttons on console will randomly not function to forward past a song. The only way to do it is in the Spotify app on my iPhone. When this happens I also notice sometimes the vehicle wont unlock when phone is in my pocket. When I take it out of my pocket and wake up my phone it will unlock. Very frustrating.
I have had consistent CarPlay issues across 3 BMW's now, and my new M60 is no exception. Spotify, in particular, has issues as does using the direct connection to spotify outside of CarPlay. Problems connecting, track info not displaying, controls completely freezing -- had the same issues in my G30 on a much older iDrive version, and also have them in our 2024 X5.
Appreciate 2
Scrapula4165.50
SkykingUSA2586.50
      06-02-2024, 09:54 AM   #4
Sequence001
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 & 2024 i5

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossian View Post
I have had consistent CarPlay issues across 3 BMW's now, and my new M60 is no exception. Spotify, in particular, has issues as does using the direct connection to spotify outside of CarPlay. Problems connecting, track info not displaying, controls completely freezing — had the same issues in my G30 on a much older iDrive version, and also have them in our 2024 X5.

I’ve experienced this as well. What Ive found the solution is for the most part is resetting iDrive by pressing and holding the volume knob for 20-30seconds until the screen goes black. It typically works for me. But I agree it shouldn’t be happening this much. If someone knows of a way to report bugs and resolutions, feel free to drop it in here.
Appreciate 2
Ossian355.50
SkykingUSA2586.50
      06-02-2024, 11:09 AM   #5
aptekcom
Private
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model S BMW X7

Quote:
I use Spotify via the built-in app in the car. I have not experienced any of these issues. Is there a reason that you are not just playing it straight from the car?
Appreciate 2
Scrapula4165.50
SkykingUSA2586.50
      06-02-2024, 12:49 PM   #6
F10_Freq
Private
Rep
Drives: i5 eDrive40, 535i Sport

I don’t use Spotify on CarPlay just Apple Music…mostly from my library. I have yet to see the “next tracks” come up on the HUD (it always just says “waiting”), tracks periodically cut out briefly, and every 3-4 times I start up it can’t display the track info at all…track not recognized.

Probably would get better performance using the built-in Bluetooth but then I’ll lose all the benefits of CarPlay since you can only use one or the other.
Appreciate 1
SkykingUSA2586.50
      06-02-2024, 03:13 PM   #7
Bklyn
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophilus View Post
Try removing your mobile phone from the settings, rebooting your phone and iDrive, and then adding your phone again.
Did that twice. Works for a bit then happens all over again. I keep taking videos and send them to SA. They dont even respond anymore. I am calling tomorrow.
Appreciate 1
SkykingUSA2586.50
      06-02-2024, 03:16 PM   #8
Bklyn
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aptekcom View Post
I use Spotify via the built-in app in the car. I have not experienced any of these issues. Is there a reason that you are not just playing it straight from the car?
Simply, no. No reason, I shouldn't have too. I have tried everything more than once, including rebooting the iDrive.
Appreciate 1
SkykingUSA2586.50
      06-02-2024, 03:20 PM   #9
Bklyn
Private First Class
Rep

Also had another experience where my car didn't charge overnight. This time it was even more strange. When I initially plugged in it started charging immediately, but I never have it set for immediate, always in a time slot to take advantage of my variable time of use meter rate. So I went into the app and changed it back to my time slot that has been programmed and it didn't charge. The weird thing is it started charging immediately so I know it recognized the charger. I never unplugged and was sure to update the setting change, in fact it still has time slot chosen. I just dont get it, very frustrating it shouldn't be this bad.
Appreciate 2
SkykingUSA2586.50
Scrapula4165.50
      06-02-2024, 03:35 PM   #10
LVBMW
Major
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60 '23 Tesla Model Y-P

Garage List
Quote:
Also had another experience where my car didn't charge overnight. This time it was even more strange. When I initially plugged in it started charging immediately, but I never have it set for immediate, always in a time slot to take advantage of my variable time of use meter rate. So I went into the app and changed it back to my time slot that has been programmed and it didn't charge. The weird thing is it started charging immediately so I know it recognized the charger. I never unplugged and was sure to update the setting change, in fact it still has time slot chosen. I just dont get it, very frustrating it shouldn't be this bad.
This is normal. It will always start charging briefly and will then stop and wait for the time slot if it calculates it can reach your desired charge % by the programmed departure time.
Appreciate 3
SkykingUSA2586.50
Scrapula4165.50
      06-02-2024, 03:43 PM   #11
LVBMW
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Simply, no. No reason, I shouldn't have too. I have tried everything more than once, including rebooting the iDrive.
I’m assuming BMW put the Spotify app in the car to allow better functionality and avoid the issues you describe. Not sure why you won’t just use the app they’ve provided for you.
Appreciate 2
SkykingUSA2586.50
      06-02-2024, 05:49 PM   #12
Nighthawks
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW 540xi

I’ve got a different issue with Car Play. I have two iPhones connected: my cell (iPhone 15 Pro Max) and my work cell (iPhone 15). Sometimes my cell just isn’t seen. I’d manually try to make the connection and even reboot. It takes turning off my work cell to make it manual connection for my cell to work.

Then on the next car start, everything seems fine.

It could be the Pro Max, but I’m thinking it Apple CarPlay.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 2
SkykingUSA2586.50
Scrapula4165.50
      06-02-2024, 08:41 PM   #13
aptekcom
Private
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model S BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawks View Post
I’ve got a different issue with Car Play. I have two iPhones connected: my cell (iPhone 15 Pro Max) and my work cell (iPhone 15). Sometimes my cell just isn’t seen. I’d manually try to make the connection and even reboot. It takes turning off my work cell to make it manual connection for my cell to work.

Then on the next car start, everything seems fine.

It could be the Pro Max, but I’m thinking it Apple CarPlay.

Thoughts?
I got an invitation from a BMW factory rep to discuss my experience with my i5. They called last week and one of the things she told me is that they are working on the Apple CarPlay and sync issues. Supposedly she said there were a lot of improvements in the March software update, if we ever get it!
Appreciate 5
Scrapula4165.50
LVBMW2361.00
SkykingUSA2586.50
      06-02-2024, 09:52 PM   #14
Scrapula
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW i5 M60

I hate when I am listening to Sirius XM and I get a text. The sound switches over to CarPlay for the text, then starts playing Apple Music. I have to manually switch back to Sirius XM.
Appreciate 1
SkykingUSA2586.50
      06-03-2024, 06:30 AM   #15
Bklyn
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVBMW View Post
This is normal. It will always start charging briefly and will then stop and wait for the time slot if it calculates it can reach your desired charge % by the programmed departure time.
I don't think I explained it properly. The car somehow switched to charge immediately as noted when I checked in the app after going inside. I did not change this, I always charge at 12:01 am to take advantage of better rates. I plugged in around 9 pm and switched back to slot charging after I saw it charging when I went inside. about a minute later. I then switched to slot charging, and it didn't charge overnight. I had enough charge to use the car, but it could have been a big problem.
I love the way this car drives but these issues I am experiencing are really becoming to much to have take for the price.

I just checked my app and the car was plugged in continuously since and still didn't charge.
Appreciate 2
Scrapula4165.50
SkykingUSA2586.50
      06-04-2024, 05:18 AM   #16
Bklyn
Private First Class
Rep

Spoke with service manager and checked the app while chatting. The charging cable was plugged in since Saturday at 8:58 pm and still hadn't charged the car as of yesterday. The settings were to confirmed to charge in time slot and the cable was locked indicating the vehicle knew it was plugged in. It is going in on Monday for all these issues but if it doesn't do it while there pretty much impossible to fix.
I also tried to chat with Lectron about the issue what a complete waste of time. Their idea of "live "chat is with a bot that just gives a run around. Got an email from them later in the day asking what's wrong. If I had to do it again I would strongly recommend no one buys any of their products.
Appreciate 2
Scrapula4165.50
SkykingUSA2586.50
      06-04-2024, 11:53 AM   #17
LVBMW
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Spoke with service manager and checked the app while chatting. The charging cable was plugged in since Saturday at 8:58 pm and still hadn't charged the car as of yesterday. The settings were to confirmed to charge in time slot and the cable was locked indicating the vehicle knew it was plugged in. It is going in on Monday for all these issues but if it doesn't do it while there pretty much impossible to fix.
I also tried to chat with Lectron about the issue what a complete waste of time. Their idea of "live "chat is with a bot that just gives a run around. Got an email from them later in the day asking what's wrong. If I had to do it again I would strongly recommend no one buys any of their products.
Does charging work with the basic level 1 cable that comes with the car plugged into just a regular 110V outlet?
Appreciate 1
SkykingUSA2586.50
      06-06-2024, 06:03 AM   #18
Bklyn
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Does charging work with the basic level 1 cable that comes with the car plugged into just a regular 110V outlet?
Never tried it. I just ordered a JuiceBox 40A charger from my electrical supplier for $260 after rebates. Gonna try it. After speaking with service manager she cant understand why the car wouldn't charge for two days while never unplugged, when it shows the cable is locked, and charging had started. I think it's ridiculous that BMW stance is only BMW branded chargers are authorized to work. Clearly that is not sustainable, if I have other brad vehicles in my household do I need proprietary chargers for each one. She agreed, but nothing she can do about that. For $260 it's worth a shot.
Appreciate 1
SkykingUSA2586.50
      06-06-2024, 12:58 PM   #19
LVBMW
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Never tried it. I just ordered a JuiceBox 40A charger from my electrical supplier for $260 after rebates. Gonna try it. After speaking with service manager she cant understand why the car wouldn't charge for two days while never unplugged, when it shows the cable is locked, and charging had started. I think it's ridiculous that BMW stance is only BMW branded chargers are authorized to work. Clearly that is not sustainable, if I have other brad vehicles in my household do I need proprietary chargers for each one. She agreed, but nothing she can do about that. For $260 it's worth a shot.
It's worth a try for troubleshooting. If the car charges on the level 1 connection, you have narrowed down the problem somewhat (something related to the L2 charger). No requirement that you use a BMW charger. Many (most) use other L2 chargers with no problems at all.
Appreciate 2
      06-06-2024, 07:29 PM   #20
Bklyn
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
It's worth a try for troubleshooting. If the car charges on the level 1 connection, you have narrowed down the problem somewhat (something related to the L2 charger). No requirement that you use a BMW charger. Many (most) use other L2 chargers with no problems at all.
Agreed but that's BMW saying it has to be BMW charger. I politely challenged her by saying I doubt BMW manufactures their own charger. She agreed but said that's what support is saying.
Appreciate 1
SkykingUSA2586.50
      06-07-2024, 02:57 AM   #21
SkykingUSA
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 i5 eDrive40

Garage List
Too bad you don't have another level 2 charger at a friend's place or something that you can try.
2024 i5 eDrive40 / Vegas Red / Black Veganza / Dark Oak Gloss Trim with Dark Silv Acc / Premium Package / M Sport Package / M Sport Pro Package / Driving Assistance Pro Package / Luxury Seating Package / 19" 936 M Aero Wheels NonRFT

Appreciate 2
Bklyn553.00
      06-07-2024, 05:47 AM   #22
Bklyn
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkykingUSA View Post
Too bad you don't have another level 2 charger at a friend's place or something that you can try.
Yes. The problem is it does work a lot of the time.
Appreciate 1
SkykingUSA2586.50