AiredaleDad
Lieutenant
Spain
Rep
Drives: 2010 Mercedes CLC 200 CDI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychDoc View Post
Wow, I wish I had known that. I would have opted for the donut spare. Ughhh.

I hope BMW roadside assistance is good when and if I need it.
In the Build my own under options if they selected mobility kit, there is an exclamation point. If you hover over it it says Mobility kit deletes space saver spare tire. If you did not select it, you would have a raised center portion of the trunk floor, with a storage space, and the spare tire and jack. If you raise that up, then you see the view you have.
Appreciate 1
SkykingUSA2586.50
      06-06-2024, 05:40 AM   #24
AiredaleDad
Lieutenant
Spain
Rep
Drives: 2010 Mercedes CLC 200 CDI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychDoc View Post
If I verify with the genius line on Monday, that the only thing that prevented me from getting a space saver spare was the inadvertent checking of the "mobility kit" box which was recommended by my CA as "it's free, why not" I'm going to be pursuing a resolution to this matter.
Beyond this, WTF is BMW thinking to even sell a car with regular tires without any form of a spare? That, in itself, is absolutely outrageous. When they were selling cars exclusively with RFT's this may have made sense. With regular tires this borders on negligence.
I hate to tell you this, but it's standard practice in the EU now. And even some car manufacturers in the US. I know Hyudai does. I had rented a car in Italy last year, I got a flat tire, and was in the middle of nowhere on the Autostrada with no cell coverage. When I looked I saw a pump and kit like you have. I tried to use it, but the tire was shredded and would not work. Ended up having to walk to an SOS box and wait for a tow truck. The idea now is that 90% of flat tires are a simple puncture, and the kit will allow you to fill the tire and get to someplace to have the tire fixed or replaced.
Appreciate 2
      06-06-2024, 07:59 AM   #25
kssod
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 540 Xdrive

"Get the peace of mind of knowing you can keep driving, even after sustaining tire damage. A powerful compressor and special tire sealant for minor mishaps will ensure that you stay mobile until the nearest BMW Center. Available with non run-flat tires only."

This is the description from the US 2024 540 build site. It does not say removes spare tire kit. I have the spare tire kit in my 2018. Definitely lose a lot of trunk depth, cannot put a 48qt cooler or some luggage vertical. In the past the $150 spare tire kit was around $1000 if ordered parts individually from the parts Dept.
Appreciate 1
SkykingUSA2586.50