BMW i5 and 5-Series Forum

05-11-2024, 10:59 PM   #1
Bklyn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Ram 1500

Electrify America

What to do about getting charged for using the "free" two years. I noticed a $20 charge come through the charger screen, so I called and was told it gets zeroed out. Just got my Amex statement and was charged. I asked the dealer when I picked up my car and was told they have no idea what to do. Anyone else have this issue ?
Appreciate 2
SkykingUSA1485.50
LVBMW1608.50
      05-11-2024, 11:17 PM   #2
pfannenstiel
noob
Rep
Drives: i5 M60

Just picked up my car 2 days ago and decided to try out the local EA station in SF. I was also charged $20 when I plugged in but the screen said $0 cost after charging there for about 15 minutes.
SkykingUSA1485.50
LVBMW1608.50
      05-12-2024, 03:39 AM   #3
LVBMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60 '23 Tesla Model Y-P

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklyn View Post
What to do about getting charged for using the "free" two years. I noticed a $20 charge come through the charger screen, so I called and was told it gets zeroed out. Just got my Amex statement and was charged. I asked the dealer when I picked up my car and was told they have no idea what to do. Anyone else have this issue ?
There is always a $20 pre-auth that shouldn’t turn into a charge. If it does, email support@electrifyamerica.com for a refund.
Appreciate 5
Bklyn389.50
Scrapula2955.00
SkykingUSA1485.50
alewifebp492.50
      05-12-2024, 12:08 PM   #4
Mrcook23
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW I5 M60

Wow I never had to use a credit card to sign up. I just used the code that the dealer gave me for the free charging.
Appreciate 2
SkykingUSA1485.50
Dlunz12.00
      05-12-2024, 01:56 PM   #5
pfannenstiel
noob
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVBMW View Post
There is always a $20 pre-auth that shouldn’t turn into a charge. If it does, email support@electrifyamerica.com for a refund.
Today I don't see the charge on my credit card's recent activity.
SkykingUSA1485.50
LVBMW1608.50
      05-12-2024, 02:43 PM   #6
LVBMW
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrcook23 View Post
Wow I never had to use a credit card to sign up. I just used the code that the dealer gave me for the free charging.
To complete the signup you have to enter a credit card for possible overage charges, idle fees, etc.
Appreciate 1
SkykingUSA1485.50
      05-12-2024, 09:27 PM   #7
SkykingUSA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 i5 eDrive40

Garage List
I haven't tried using Electrify America yet, but I remember reading that there would be a small charge to cover additional charges in advance, like when you overstay at the charger after your car finishes charging. I think you have a 10 minute grace period to disconnect, otherwise you start getting charged by the minute.
2024 i5 eDrive40 / Vegas Red / Black Veganza / Dark Oak Gloss Trim with Dark Silv Acc / Premium Package / M Sport Package / M Sport Pro Package / Driving Assistance Pro Package / Luxury Seating Package / 19" 936 M Aero Wheels NonRFT

Appreciate 2
Scrapula2955.00
Dlunz12.00
      05-12-2024, 09:35 PM   #8
LVBMW
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkykingUSA View Post
I haven't tried using Electrify America yet, but I remember reading that there would be a small charge to cover additional charges in advance, like when you overstay at the charger after your car finishes charging. I think you have a 10 minute grace period to disconnect, otherwise you start getting charged by the minute.
There will always be a $20 pre-auth when you charge, but there will be no actual charge unless you exceed the free allotment or incur idle fees after the 10 minute grace period.
Appreciate 2
SkykingUSA1485.50
Scrapula2955.00
      05-15-2024, 05:19 AM   #9
Bklyn
Private First Class
Rep

I went to one yesterday and the 350Kw was open so I used it. Once again my home charger didn't charge overnight... And I got charged, for 29 minutes was like $18.
Does anyone know if the 350 Kw is not free and only the 150 Kw is free ?

I'm really frustrated as my home charger is hit or miss. I have the scheduled charger set for 12:05 to 7:55 am.
And Haberstaad BMW service says if I don"t use a BMW charger they cant help. Absolutely ridiculous, My response to them is if I have an Audi and a Ford EV do I need proprietary charges for them also ? To what end redo the infrastructure in my home.
And a side issue is that sometimes CarPlay doesn't connect until minutes into a commute and other times before my ass hits the seat it connected. No rhyme or reason.
Very frustrating.
Appreciate 2
Scrapula2955.00
SkykingUSA1485.50
      05-15-2024, 07:18 AM   #10
aptekcom
Private
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model S BMW X7

Why don’t you test with the BMW charger for a couple of weeks and see what happens? That will give you a definitive answer and then you can go to the dealer and let them know you tried.
Appreciate 1
SkykingUSA1485.50
      05-15-2024, 07:33 AM   #11
Bklyn
Private First Class
Rep

I get what you’re saying but I shouldn’t have to. Also not going through the expense of paying for an install even a Nema outlet using their charger. The problem is it doesn’t happen all the time just like every other problem I experience with my vehicle. I have a feeling it’s new model problems that will be worked out for future vehicles.
Also I am really bothered by service reps seem to be more concerned with reviews of my satisfaction with service. I get messages saying how important it is that my reviews are good. I have no interest in blaming them but it is becoming annoying to deal with.

Last edited by Bklyn; 05-15-2024 at 09:39 AM..
Appreciate 2
Scrapula2955.00
SkykingUSA1485.50
      05-15-2024, 10:27 AM   #12
LVBMW
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I went to one yesterday and the 350Kw was open so I used it. Once again my home charger didn't charge overnight... And I got charged, for 29 minutes was like $18.

I'm really frustrated as my home charger is hit or miss. I have the scheduled charger set for 12:05 to 7:55 am.
And Haberstaad BMW service says if I don"t use a BMW charger they cant help. Absolutely ridiculous, My response to them is if I have an Audi and a Ford EV do I need proprietary charges for them also ? To what end redo the infrastructure in my home.
And a side issue is that sometimes CarPlay doesn't connect until minutes into a commute and other times before my ass hits the seat it connected. No rhyme or reason.
Very frustrating.

You should not be charged even for the 350 KW charger. What exact problems are you having with the home charger? Have you tried disabling the charging time windows and just plugging in and see if it starts charging?
Appreciate 2
Scrapula2955.00
SkykingUSA1485.50
      05-15-2024, 02:39 PM   #13
pfannenstiel
noob
Rep

Quote:

Very frustrating.
I think I might be having a similar problem. I had a 240V outlet installed for my Model S in 2015. I set up the charging to also occur between 12 AM and 7 AM with a 7 AM scheduled departure time and using the charging cable that came with the car. The first night it charged no problem. After that I went to an EA station and charged no problem. Then when I returned home and plugged in thinking that it would go back to scheduled charging it started charging immediately. I stopped the charging cycle and waited to see what would happen the next morning. It didn't charge over night even though I had the same configuration as before and the car was not at the max charge level selected. Since then the scheduled charging hasn't worked. I was going to call the genius line after I get my car back tomorrow.
SkykingUSA1485.50
      05-15-2024, 03:07 PM   #14
LVBMW
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfannenstiel View Post
I think I might be having a similar problem. I had a 240V outlet installed for my Model S in 2015. I set up the charging to also occur between 12 AM and 7 AM with a 7 AM scheduled departure time and using the charging cable that came with the car. The first night it charged no problem. After that I went to an EA station and charged no problem. Then when I returned home and plugged in thinking that it would go back to scheduled charging it started charging immediately. I stopped the charging cycle and waited to see what would happen the next morning. It didn't charge over night even though I had the same configuration as before and the car was not at the max charge level selected. Since then the scheduled charging hasn't worked. I was going to call the genius line after I get my car back tomorrow.
If you have a time window setup for charging, the car will sometimes start charging immediately upon plugging in but should then soon after stop and wait for the time window. The DCFC charging shouldn't impact the programming, as the time window only applies to AC charging. DCFC always starts immediately upon plugging in.

Last edited by LVBMW; 05-15-2024 at 03:19 PM..
Appreciate 1
SkykingUSA1485.50
      05-16-2024, 06:06 AM   #15
Bklyn
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
You should not be charged even for the 350 KW charger. What exact problems are you having with the home charger? Have you tried disabling the charging time windows and just plugging in and see if it starts charging?
Basically it is unreliable. Very random, sometimes it charges and sometimes it doesn't. The main issue is in the morning when it doesn't charge I don't have enough range. I never changed the charging window, it is 12:05 to 7:55 am, with a scheduled departure of 7:45.
Spoke to a BMW customer care supervisor yesterday. What a waste of time, asked me what I would like to happen. I told her fix the car, and she said she would speak to Haberstaad BMW to see what can be done. All while saying BMW stance is nothing can be done unless it's a BMW branded charger. They are blaming that and the use of the Lectron adaptor.
Haberstaad has a cool system where the repair tech sends a personal video of what they did. And it is a very nice way of saying I don't know how to use the car.
I asked why does my car not always pair with my iphone14 pro max, even videoing how it sometimes takes upwards of 30 seconds to pair after a short stop. No answer. It sees the phone as a device but wont pair enabling carplay, other times immediately after unlocking the car is in CarPlay before my ass hits the seat.
Another annoying thing is usually when picking up my son I am listening to the radio and start browsing with my phone, usually a news site the radio stops playing and it connects to my browser even though I'm not clicking on a video, could be on Home Depot website. I switch back to FM and it reconnects back to my browser. If I try and take a video of when the CarPlay wont connect the vehicle screen changes to the source of the audio connection and I cant record the missing CarPlay icon. Had to use my son's phone to record it.
Bottom line FOR me is its extremely unreliable.
Appreciate 2
Scrapula2955.00
SkykingUSA1485.50
      05-16-2024, 10:41 AM   #16
Scrapula
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW i5 M60

The CarPlay thing is annoying. I get a text message and my screen will change to Apple Maps as the default when I reply to the text. Why do that if I am not using Apple Maps? I’d just like to see the text and reply to it. My guess is that is an Apple issue. There doesn’t seem to be a way to set options in Car Play.
Appreciate 1
SkykingUSA1485.50
      05-16-2024, 10:51 AM   #17
LVBMW
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Basically it is unreliable. Very random, sometimes it charges and sometimes it doesn't. The main issue is in the morning when it doesn't charge I don't have enough range. I never changed the charging window, it is 12:05 to 7:55 am, with a scheduled departure of 7:45.
Spoke to a BMW customer care supervisor yesterday. What a waste of time, asked me what I would like to happen. I told her fix the car, and she said she would speak to Haberstaad BMW to see what can be done. All while saying BMW stance is nothing can be done unless it's a BMW branded charger. They are blaming that and the use of the Lectron adaptor.
Haberstaad has a cool system where the repair tech sends a personal video of what they did. And it is a very nice way of saying I don't know how to use the car.
I asked why does my car not always pair with my iphone14 pro max, even videoing how it sometimes takes upwards of 30 seconds to pair after a short stop. No answer. It sees the phone as a device but wont pair enabling carplay, other times immediately after unlocking the car is in CarPlay before my ass hits the seat.
Another annoying thing is usually when picking up my son I am listening to the radio and start browsing with my phone, usually a news site the radio stops playing and it connects to my browser even though I'm not clicking on a video, could be on Home Depot website. I switch back to FM and it reconnects back to my browser. If I try and take a video of when the CarPlay wont connect the vehicle screen changes to the source of the audio connection and I cant record the missing CarPlay icon. Had to use my son's phone to record it.
Bottom line FOR me is its extremely unreliable.
Have you tried disabling the charging window and just plugging in and seeing if it charges correctly? Have you tried other AC chargers to see if those work? Have you tried plugging into a basic 110 outlet with the car’s included cable? Trying those things will help narrow down if it’s the car or your charger.
Appreciate 1
SkykingUSA1485.50
      05-17-2024, 05:34 AM   #18
Bklyn
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Have you tried disabling the charging window and just plugging in and seeing if it charges correctly? Have you tried other AC chargers to see if those work? Have you tried plugging into a basic 110 outlet with the car’s included cable? Trying those things will help narrow down if it’s the car or your charger.
The vehicle has been reprogrammed twice by the dealer. I have deleted the pairing on both the vehicle and my iPhone and then did the latest update and repaired the phone. Still happens randomly.
I have switched the charging mode to instant and back to scheduled charging multiple times. I have not used their charger yet, I dont have a Nema outlet yet.
I now momentarily charge immediately and when I see that is working switch to scheduled.
Just very frustrating, I completely understand my dilemma about fixing something that at the moment it is brought in to service is working. Kinda stuck there.

Is it normal when listening to FM, while parked and then scrolling through your phone for the car switch sources on its own to the phone? That is also annoying, maybe a setting I a m missing ?
Appreciate 1
SkykingUSA1485.50
      05-17-2024, 06:01 AM   #19
Theophilus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW i5 M60

Hello,

I had similar experiences with our 23 i7. As much as these cars are great for the most part, there are some duds that leave the factory. I would consult with a lemon law attorney and start documenting the service trips for each of these persistent issues. Different states have different requirements, but generally speaking, if you bring the same concern to the dealer multiple times and it’s still not resolved, or if the car spends X days in the shop, you can automatically trigger the lemon law and have BMW buy back your car. No need to pay so much for a car that doesn’t work as it should.
Appreciate 2
Bklyn389.50
SkykingUSA1485.50
      05-17-2024, 09:19 AM   #20
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
This is something we don't get offered in the UK which has me thinking does a lot of US homes not have the facility to fit a home charging unit?
Appreciate 1
SkykingUSA1485.50
      05-17-2024, 01:40 PM   #21
LVBMW
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The vehicle has been reprogrammed twice by the dealer. I have deleted the pairing on both the vehicle and my iPhone and then did the latest update and repaired the phone. Still happens randomly.
I have switched the charging mode to instant and back to scheduled charging multiple times. I have not used their charger yet, I dont have a Nema outlet yet.
I now momentarily charge immediately and when I see that is working switch to scheduled.
Just very frustrating, I completely understand my dilemma about fixing something that at the moment it is brought in to service is working. Kinda stuck there.

Is it normal when listening to FM, while parked and then scrolling through your phone for the car switch sources on its own to the phone? That is also annoying, maybe a setting I a m missing ?
You’re talking about a variety of different issues here. For the charging, have you tried leaving the car in charge immediately mode and plugging into a regular 110 outlet using the included cable? I don’t think you’ve mentioned what model of home charger you’re using. You mentioned a Lectron adapter once I think. If the car charges fine in charge immediately mode, then it’s something to do with a setting somewhere in the charging window mode. Make sure you didn’t sign up for the Charge Forward program in the myBMW app charging section, as that can mess up scheduling.
Appreciate 1
SkykingUSA1485.50
      05-17-2024, 01:44 PM   #22
LVBMW
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
This is something we don't get offered in the UK which has me thinking does a lot of US homes not have the facility to fit a home charging unit?
Probably because it’s a unique collaboration with the Electrify America company. I would say that most homes in the US have a garage and are fully capable of having a home charger installed.
Appreciate 2
SkykingUSA1485.50
Scrapula2955.00